S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Buying Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Buying Skates Tips and advice about buying aggressive skates plus information and opinions about all of the different aggressive skate models.

Old November 20th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #1
rllrgrl65

Default Need information on bearings

Hello all, i am new to this forum, but not new to skating. Many people tell me good bearings are percision bearing, and ceramic bearings, but i have no way of knowing, because here in N.H. (U.S.A.), there not many places to buy bearing, where you can ask questions, and the sales person knows what there talking about.
I have a few sets of bearings, for both 7mm, and 8mm, but don't know much about them. I have a set of bearings that say "FAFNIR" "37KD" (7mm)
a set that say "60018" "WS" "J", (8mm), and a set that say "SNH" ''627Z" (or 527Z) 8mm. My questions are, is there a code to understand what the numbers, & letters mean?, where can i find this code(if there is one), and what can i use to clean bearings, and what can i use to lubricate them.
I know.....it's an awful lot of questions, but if anyone could just answer one, i would be so greatful ! I am the manager of a roller skating rink, and i feel a bit foolish having to tell customers i don't know what there bearing are.
THANKS A BUNCH
tsdemayo@comcast.net (e-mail)

P.S. Would love to here what other rinks around the nation/world, are listening to, and do you play "4-Corners #'s game" where you skate??
rllrgrl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #2
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Your best bet is to ask this guy. Doc Sk8

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:51 AM   #3
Smirnus

Inline skates use either 608 standard bearings or 688 micro bearings.

I'm unsure about quads.

If you're doing large batches of bearings at a time for the rental fleet, I'd get an ultrasonic cleaner. Either for jewelry or for parts depending an what your budget will allow.

As for lube, you should use oil as an indoor rink is more sanitized compared to the street.

I'd probably rig up something like a french fryer to dip bearings in oil then let the excess drain out.

I'm experimenting with Mobil 1 0w-30. It's thinner at lower temperatures.
Smirnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Nostalgic

Your Fafnir 37kd bearings are pretty much the best bearings ever made for skates. They are no longer available and if they are in good shape they are worth quite a bit. As for lubricating them, there are threads on this site devoted to that argument. Let's just say there are differences of opinion on that.
Nostalgic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #5
ameliak

Yes! I might actually be able to give some advice! I've only been skating for a little over a month, and just cleaned the bearings on my loaners. I used alcohol and a toothbrush, which worked really well. The lubricant I used is Speed Cream by Bones Bearings. I don't have anything to compare it to, but the ride was really smooth after. The 1/2 oz bottle I bought was only $5, and included instructions. Here are some good instructions I found online with an educational picture of the anatomy of a bearing.
http://www.bonesbearings.com/support/maintenance/

Another method I heard from a guy at a skateboard shop (a great place to seek information) is first cleaning your bearings with Goo Gone. Then put your bearings in hot water, following with a rubbing alcohol bath to get out the water. Haven't had a chance to try it, but it sounds... helpful?

I'd google your bearings. I found a little tidbit of info on the Fafnirs, and I'm sure you could find much more on the internet.
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...-bearings.html

In response to your P.S.: The only skate rink we have in Tucson, AZ is Skate Country. We have the corner game, and races by age group. Both are pretty popular. We also have a song or two devoted to reverse direction skate, and backward skate. At the end of a two or three hour session, the kids do the hokey pokey. There are 70's/80's nights and top 40 nights. Other times, popular music is played; mostly hip hop and famous hits.
ameliak is offline   Reply With Quote