S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old July 13th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #1
BorisB

Default Seba 255mm frame suitable for slalom with large feet?

Hi,
does anybody think using a Seba 255mm frame for slalom is a fundamentally wrong idea?

I've been using classic 243 frame on Seba High for more than half a year. Before I had a 250mm Twister frame on RB-8 skates. The shorter 243 frame has greater manoeuvrability, but because I am wearing skates EU size 47 which is probably the largest Seba size available, the front wheels are actually not in front of my toes, but like 1.5cm behind (the same thing but in reverse holds for the rear wheels, basically the frame is way smaller than my feet).

This has not been a problem for more basic tricks, but since I started learning "Swan", I just can't seem to be able to stand on the toes properly when finishing rotation. My toe wheel tends to "slip" away and I fall down. This is not such a problem on a new set of wheels, but after a few weeks of wear (5mm to 1cm down from original 76mm) I can not perform the trick anymore.

I showed the basics of swan to a friend who can now do it in much more stable fashion then I can. Before acknowledging that I am pretty much useless, I would like to at least try to blame it on the relative size of the frame to my feet. In comparison, her front wheels are actually 2cm in front of her toe and I have noticed most people have it that way.

Yesterday I mounted the old twister 250mm frame on my Highs, but I was not so happy as I had to mount them off-center because of hole positions and the feeling was a little weird. I am now seriously thinking about getting that 255mm frame...

Any suggestions welcome!
Boris
BorisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #2
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

First off, I must say there is no way I can do Swan, it's very much out of my league currently, so I'm going out on a limb here, but I can do toe-toe Grapevine on both my 247mm inlines and my 154mm quads (42 EU shoe), and I've noticed that there's a very definite difference in technique about skating on toes with a really short wheelbase, even ignoring the other quad/inline differences. The inlines I never really get close to the balance point, it's one-way muscle power levitation thing all the way, with gravity providing the opposing force, on the quads it's a balancing act on the tipping point. It maybe that the shorter wheelbase is getting you closer to that tipping point that you were previously used to, and your correct-back-the-other-way balancing reflexes aren't well enough developed yet?
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #3
stacy

That is an interesting question. I've not heard of people in the larger sizes switching to longer (255mm) frames, but I do know that a while back (maybe 4-5 years ago) it was all the rage to skate on the shortest frame possible (people in smaller sizes would switch to 219 frames, people in middle sizes would drop to a 231 frame) but then, maybe 2-3 years ago, really when all the wheeling and heeling tricks became much more common and developed, that trend eased up, and folks who had previously used a 231 went up to the 243, because those 1 wheel tricks are easier with a little bit of a longer frame. So yes, it is possible that a 255 frame would work better for you.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
ManicStar
Slalomer

I'm also learning swan at the moment, and I'm lucky to say I have size 42 feet with a 243 frame so nicely in the middle so I haven't experienced this.

However, have you tried mounting the frame more forwards yet to see how it feels? Obviously the downside is that it would make heeling more difficult, but it might prove to be a better compromise. At worst you''ll have wasted a few minutes moving the frame and giving it a go.
ManicStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #5
BorisB

Since writing this post I am still skating on older 250mm Twister frames, having tried 3 different mounting options and ended up with the front wheel sticking around 1.5-2cm in front of the boot. That however means that the rear wheel is also shifted forward (the frame is not properly centered) which took some time getting used to, but tricks on toes are a bit easier to do now and i can even do a bit of heel wheeling .

Unfortunately, this particular frame (other people do not seem to have the same issues on Twisters so maybe I was just unlucky) is not made very well, it makes strange bending noises and screws/bolts keep loosening when skating on city pavements which can be frustrating especially in the dark... I am now waiting for my friends to make a larger order from Universkate so that I can ask them to include the 255mm Seba Deluxe frame in the same shipment. It's a bit of a gamble but if I can do tricks on 250 then the additional 5mm should not make such a huge difference.

I mean, I loved the additional maneuverability 243 gave me, but it was also limiting in some aspects... What Stacy says about people switching back to longer frames once toe/heel tricks became popular makes a lot of sense to me.
BorisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisB View Post
Unfortunately, this particular frame (other people do not seem to have the same issues on Twisters so maybe I was just unlucky) is not made very well, it makes strange bending noises and screws/bolts keep loosening when skating on city pavements which can be frustrating especially in the dark... I am now waiting for my friends to make a larger order from Universkate so that I can ask them to include the 255mm Seba Deluxe frame in the same shipment. It's a bit of a gamble but if I can do tricks on 250 then the additional 5mm should not make such a huge difference.
Man, I would have had to talk with the manufacturer on a frame that acted like that. That would drive me nuts. Hopefully you can get it resolved.
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #7
jipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisB View Post
Do you mean this old Tecnica frame:

This old Tecnica frame is may be the worse frame ever made: bad soft aluminum quality, bad design, and the worse, axles with a metric 6mm thread (instead of 7mm) that easily break, especially the one of the first wheel.

Or do you mean the next generation one:

This frame is a little better (stronger design) but the axles are still with metric 6mm thread and can also break.

The noise you hear is probably due to the frame/axle flex when you put your weight on the front wheel during a front wheel wheeling. If you are a big/heavy guy (as expected from your big feet size) you should definitely move to some better frame. I think the 255mm Deluxe is a good option for you.
jipe is offline   Reply With Quote