S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old February 15th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #121
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

I have mentioned a few times (both directly and indirectly) on the board and in e-mails whether I am commited to the event or not. I pretty much had already decided on that long long time ago.
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #122
Jim White

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinghornet View Post
Why ask the question which you know the answer to?
That's the ONLY way to know if the answer you get is correct. And what's the value of an answer if you don't know it's correct?
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #123
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Actually I'm not "bringing" anyone per se, but there will be 4-5 other Rainbo members at least down there too.
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #124
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Squiggy Classic Inline 2008 - sign up before Feb. 19 and have a chance to win a pair of Challenge boots from Luigino Racing!

Dear skaters,

Squiggy Classic Inline 2008 are doing great, people are signing up and so have 3 more sponsors. Thank you so much skaters and sponsors!
They come from just around the corner to as far away as Wisconsin, New York, Texas, Washington and many other places.

We have been so fortunate that Luigino Racing has donated a pair of Challenge boots (retail price $550 see http://www.luiginoracing.com/challenge_white.html )

So if you sign up no later than Feb. 19 you will enter in the pre-race raffle for this great gift! Those already signed up will of course be in that raffle.

So sign up before Feb. 19 and have a chance of winning a great pair of boots!

It is awesome to see and feel that the skaters are looking forward to this event and are signing up in advance so we know what to plan for.
But there’s just short of a month to all the great events, starting March 7 and ending March 9 – so it’s time to get ready and in shape to skate the distance that you have chosen

Also remember that we have a time trial on Saturday – you can enter both as a team and individual. See more details here http://www.squiggyclassicinline.com/...imetrials.html

I was just at Bill Jacksons to pick up their very generous sponsor gift to Squiggy – 2 shoulder bags and 2 very nice backpacks and on top of that we also got bags to put all the goodies in. Asphalt Beach have donated skate bags and 100mm wheels, Eddy Matzger has donated a “SkateFarm” and much more from other sponsors. It is amazing how much help we are receiving from our sponsors and of course we can only say “thank you” and ask you to support them back, when time comes that you need new equipment etc.

Hope to see you all at Squiggy Classic Inline 2008, and if you do not want to skate in the race, consider coming out Friday night for a cozy roll with your friends.

More details on how to sign up go here www.squiggyclassicinline.com

We have a lot of volunteers already – but can always use more

If you want to see who’s already signed up go here http://www.active.com/uploads_search...T=0&CHECKSSO=1

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions about the event.

Best regards from Squiggy Classic Inline 2008

Jessica Wright and Birgit Holme
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #125
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Wow, that's great Birgit, you guys are doing a great job. I'm really looking forward to this event, should be a lot of fun.
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #126
sk8lover26

Default Will Not Be Supporting Squiggy

I moved to Tampa Palms right across the street from Flatwoods back in
'92 and have skated and seen the trail blossom over the years. It appalls me to have witnessed weeks ago that the full moon skate and marathon video's and photographs were stolen from the Road Rollers website, and for what reason? To keep a skate? And that's a good thing? As I read through the blogs it is obvious that people that plan on coming down to visit florida in march does not see the results of such careless actions between birgit and the skate groups around the tampa area. Please consider this closely. What if it was your skate, in your hometown? Who side will you take? Local websites are staying away from this (you will find no bill jackson, skatetampa, or sunday bladers links to squiggy).

It is terrible that Disney was cancelled, and the number of attendees at Nestea are low, but it has become a sad day to have to steal from one groups in order to attempt to save another skate for the out-of-towner's? This is not a good example to set. My friends and I will not be attending the marathon in march.

Sk8lover
Tampa Palms
sk8lover26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #127
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

You really ought to get your facts straight before you post here.

Those of us who are going to be there are going to have a great time, too bad for YOU you'll miss out.
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #128
speedysktr
President of Everything

The court (the people) will decide who is right. The skaters have already decided who is right and will continue to do so. This little temper tantrum and attempt to stifle an event has done exactly the opposite. The event is getting bigger and better than ever. Too bad someone decided to "cut off the nose to spite the face". I think there was no idea how quick the rest of the body would be to catch the nose and put it back. I wish you could see how petty and ridiculous you sound coming onto a board promoting an event and stomping your feet. Nonetheless, just remember, the nose is alive and well and the detractors will be ignored and forgotten.

Last edited by speedysktr; February 16th, 2008 at 01:49 PM.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #129
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8lover26 View Post
My friends and I will not be attending the marathon in march.
Who are you? Why not say your name in good faith like the organizers have done. If you are so self-righteous in your position, if you are willing to take a stand, then identify yourself.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #130
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Because it's easier to hide behind a fake name and sling accusations. Accusations that you have been duped into believing without checking the facts for yourself.

This is about the last thing our sport needs. You're not coming? Good riddance. Someone who cared about the sport would not act this way. Would not file frivolous lawsuits, would not threaten other skate clubs with litigation (yes, we were threatened - without grounds - and no, we did not give in), would not sling mud in other skate forums and would in fact support an event in which the majority of skaters want to see happen.

If only I had the means, I would pay the cost of every single skater's entry fee on this board to attend the race. In my opinion this whole thing has stemmed from one person's wounded pride, and that is a real shame.

The great thing is, it's shaping up to be a wonderful event - in fact *better* than it was, that will be well attended and well sponsored, and we're going to all really enjoy being there. And that's a win for skating.
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #131
gopherfan

It is sad to see hatred cloud someone's mind. Apparently someone else was able to make an event work where you fell short. I recommend you accept reality and realize seeking revenge is self-destructive to you. We all fail at times in our lives, but people with character work to improve themselves rather than looking to blame someone else.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #132
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Yubii just got word from K2 that they want to sponsor Squiggy as well - and that with a pair of skates!

And also due to very generous sponsors we are able to have at least $500 in the cash pocket (or what ever that is called - you know prizes in cash...), that's more than double the cash value compared to previous years.

Lots of nice things in the raffle and for the winners - but yes you have to be there in person when your ticket is drawn to get the price - sooooo
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #133
The General
Ninja Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Who are you? Why not say your name in good faith like the organizers have done. If you are so self-righteous in your position, if you are willing to take a stand, then identify yourself.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was Breeze himself. The person who posted the message has only posted one message on this board ever.

I say "SHUT UP AND SKATE." That's all the rest of us want to do. I don't care who puts on the event (although in this case, I'm happy Jim White, Birgit, Jessica, and company are putting this one on. Looks like it's going to be better than ever).

Don Patton
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #134
panch0

sk8lover26,

you are full of bolony! I can't believe you are so envious as to try to stain someone else's work!

If you are such a "skatelover"... maybe you should have taken on the challenge of organizing the race or at least help!

To use the concept of using "stolen pics" for dividing the Tampa area skaters and not supporting Squiggy is certainly not a "skatelover" deed!
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #135
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

All the great Squiggy event activities and a chance for free skate stuff?! I'M IN! Can't wait, but I gotta. See you there.

LezSk8!

PS: Will we have a SLF gathering and photo? I hope so!
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #136
Seluv
... five more minutes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
I believe that both Sekou and Wayne is coming down, maybe more?!
Yup! just talked to Wayne last Saturday on the trail. We are both planning on going, and we are trying to talk Pat into it also.
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #137
Seluv
... five more minutes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
If only I had the means, I would pay the cost of every single skater's entry fee on this board to attend the race. In my opinion this whole thing has stemmed from one person's wounded pride, and that is a real shame.
Could you hurry up with the means cause I want some new skates!

Quote:
Yubii just got word from K2 that they want to sponsor Squiggy as well - and that with a pair of skates!

And also due to very generous sponsors we are able to have at least $500 in the cash pocket (or what ever that is called - you know prizes in cash...), that's more than double the cash value compared to previous years.

Lots of nice things in the raffle and for the winners - but yes you have to be there in person when your ticket is drawn to get the price - sooooo

Quote:
Squiggy Classic Inline 2008 - sign up before Feb. 19 and have a chance to win a pair of Challenge boots from Luigino Racing!

Dear skaters,

Squiggy Classic Inline 2008 are doing great, people are signing up and so have 3 more sponsors. Thank you so much skaters and sponsors!
They come from just around the corner to as far away as Wisconsin, New York, Texas, Washington and many other places.

We have been so fortunate that Luigino Racing has donated a pair of Challenge boots (retail price $550 see http://www.luiginoracing.com/challenge_white.html )

So if you sign up no later than Feb. 19 you will enter in the pre-race raffle for this great gift! Those already signed up will of course be in that raffle.

So sign up before Feb. 19 and have a chance of winning a great pair of boots!

It is awesome to see and feel that the skaters are looking forward to this event and are signing up in advance so we know what to plan for.
But there’s just short of a month to all the great events, starting March 7 and ending March 9 – so it’s time to get ready and in shape to skate the distance that you have chosen

Also remember that we have a time trial on Saturday – you can enter both as a team and individual. See more details here http://www.squiggyclassicinline.com/...imetrials.html

I was just at Bill Jacksons to pick up their very generous sponsor gift to Squiggy – 2 shoulder bags and 2 very nice backpacks and on top of that we also got bags to put all the goodies in. Asphalt Beach have donated skate bags and 100mm wheels, Eddy Matzger has donated a “SkateFarm” and much more from other sponsors. It is amazing how much help we are receiving from our sponsors and of course we can only say “thank you” and ask you to support them back, when time comes that you need new equipment etc.

Hope to see you all at Squiggy Classic Inline 2008, and if you do not want to skate in the race, consider coming out Friday night for a cozy roll with your friends.

More details on how to sign up go here www.squiggyclassicinline.com

We have a lot of volunteers already – but can always use more

If you want to see who’s already signed up go here http://www.active.com/uploads_search...T=0&CHECKSSO=1

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions about the event.

Best regards from Squiggy Classic Inline 2008

Jessica Wright and Birgit Holme
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #138
sk8kat

Birgit kindly requested that I post a note. I decided that it’s best I do so lest her kind request turn into one of those “don’t-make-me-come-back-there-and-straighten-you-out” moments.

I’m not a good horn blower unless it’s somebody else’s horn. Ok, that doesn’t quite read the way it sounded in my head. Anyway, I see her point that my little story might be of interest to others.

So, moving right along:

I attended Squiggy last year. Except for an insanely unrealistic attempt at skating the 2006 A2A, Squiggy was my first race (and unlike A2A, I made it to the finish line). I had been skating for about a year. Not speed skating but definitely with enough forward momentum and shaky stamina that I was able to complete a marathon distance skate. I LOVED the Squiggy experience.

It launched me toward other skate events that I actually participated in and some that I just fantasized about participating in. Disney and Eddy Matzger Skate Farm being in the former group…2007’s A2A in the latter.

I have been looking forward to this year’s Squiggy ever since.

I noticed that there was a minor blip in the Squiggy preparations…something about it possibly being canceled. Then I read that I shouldn’t worry my little sk8 brain about it…that awesome skaters from the world of big-wheels-and-no-brakes were stepping in to ensure that the inline portion of Squiggy indeed would take place.

I blogged about it. I started skating in preparation for the event. I realized that I was (am) out of shape from too many cookies. I started running to augment the skating and to stretch my lungs. I realized that I should’ve started doing this about six months ago.

And then I received an unsolicited e-mail from the past organizer of Squiggy. It disturbed me greatly. My reaction and the succinct reaction of my skater boyfriend: What the **insert bad but appropriate word here**. When did skating turn into a Jerry Springer episode with all the hair-pulling-chest-beating angst akin to negotiating a Middle East peace treaty?

That e-mail alone made me want to help those who were helping the rest of us by picking up the ball and running with it so that we, who really love skating, would be able to skate with it…the ball…or whatever.

Well, when there’s a problem, I say: Throw money at it! So, I contacted the powers-that-be and pledged to donate a few hundred bucks to the cause. And then a funny thing happened along the way to writing a check. Yesterday I web surfed (so much more balanced than when I skate) over to this forum and saw Sk8lover26’s post. It irked and vexed me (and other great high scoring Scrabble words) to no end.

I thought about how much I love skating and how great it is that Birgit, Jessica, and Jim (and others that I don’t know the names of) stepped in and are making this thing work. I wanted to say a big thank you for wading into the muck in order to see Squiggy happen. Afterall, it would be so much easier to just say “well, it ain’t gonna happen so let’s watch some bad TV and pass me a Twinkie.”

So, I did some math. I counted my toes. I looked to see how many cans of beans I have stocked in the pantry. I sent an e-mail advising that I will triple the contribution amount. One more poorly written ludicrous note from the peanut gallery and I might sell my non-skating mother for additional funds. (I love you Mom!)

Anyway, I hope it helps. I hope that any of you reading these posts who might be on the fence about participating in Squiggy will hop off and register for this wonderful event. I suspect that this particular Squiggy skate will be in the grandest spirit of what skating’s all about...great fun and awesome people.

Hope to see many skaters there...mostly your backsides as you roar past.

kat
www.fiercelyshe.com
sk8kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #139
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8kat View Post
I’m not a good horn blower unless it’s somebody else’s horn.

Anyway... Thanks for supporting speedskating Kat!! I hope the good vibe tenfolds into your life!
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #140
sk8kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post

Anyway... Thanks for supporting speedskating Kat!! I hope the good vibe tenfolds into your life!
LOL!!! (i don't know what you're talking about.....)

thanks for the good vibe send. i'll trade it for a skate fairy blessing that i make it the full marathon distance without rupturing an aorta. (she says as she eats a brownie for breakfast....)

really looking forward to Squiggy!
sk8kat is offline   Reply With Quote