S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old February 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM   #161
excelsk8
MPC Turbo

Ohhh shoot! i forgot to update it again.....hehe, well its not about the web site, but rather the free boots, some cool news will come to canariam.net very shortly (2012 or later i mean)
excelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:19 AM   #162
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

We got yet another sponsor!

Inline Warehouse

One of the things they have sponsored is an online coupon for those registered for Squiggy.

I've send an email to all registered for the race with the code for the 5% discount on any purchase on http://www.inlinewarehouse.com

If you are registered and did not receive that email - let me know!

They will leave it active through Race Day on March 9.

Hope you will have time to make good use of the discount!
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #163
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

12 days left before Squiggy Classic Inline 2008

- We emptied the piggy bank and decided to get chip timing

- We “hired” Roy Paz from Stardust to be our speaker – so lots of pure-skater-enthusiasm when racers are in sight

- Lots of great raffle prizes; new Bont Wheels, skates, boots etc.

- Big cash prizes

And great weather

Forecast:
Saturday, Mar 8

Sunny
Low: 62 °F
High: 78 °F

Sunday, Mar 9

Partly sunny
Low: 55 °F
High: 79 °F

From accuweather.com

Online registration is open until Thursday 6th March at midnight.

“Late registration” can be done both Friday 7th March from 6pm till 9pm at Flatwoods and Saturday 8th March from 10am till 2pm.

!!! There will be no registration at race day!!!

Time Trials participant’s last chance to sign up is Friday 7th March at the Ranger Station in Flatwoods no later than 9pm.

Half or full marathon participant’s last chance to sign up is Saturday March 8th at the Ranger Station in Flatwoods no later than 2 pm.

If you have any questions what so ever, please let us know info@squiggyclassicinline.com or look at www.squiggyclassicinline.com
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #164
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
...I'm afraid I can't put any intent on it than egotism, and it hurts me to think that is the drive. I personally have much respect for Rick and his involvments, for Skate Tampa and their organization, and for Darry and his support of the sport, and find it incredulous that any of them would sacrifice an organized event for the sake of "personal" interest. The only other thing I can derive from all of this is that it is just a cheap hoax on Bridget, I mean, Brigit, I mean Birgit's part to lure me out of seclusion. Well, congratulations, you've done it.
"He said, She said...........no more" I spoke it, and I know what I meant, I re-read and can see how it might be taken, therefore, I CLARIFY.
I DO NOT know the motivation behind anyone attempting to squelch Squiggy. I have the utmost RESPECT for Rick and his involvments, for Skate Tampa and their organization, and for Darry and his support of the SPORT. I was alluding to an earlier post that "suggested" that Bill Jackson Sports might be adverse to the new found "Squiggy"
because they don't link to it on their site. I used the word "incredulous", because I am, as webster defines: "unwilling to admit or accept what is offered as true", that "any of them would sacrifice an organized event for the sake of "personal" interest". Squiggy does not belong to "The Breeze", "Skate Tampa", or "Bill Jackson" but they have all made awesome contributions to the advancement of the sport of skating in the Bay Metro Area. Biil Jackson Sports/Darry are above reproach in my estimation, requiring no defense of their position, and have attained an irrevocable honor in the skate community for their unselfish benevolence and support of the sport, in the past and currently. My only platform is that a few Die Hards, have rescued an event, done a phenomenal job of advancing it to a higher level than it was originally, and deserve the support, or at least respect of all of us in preserving that new life. If you don't want to partake at the table, there's no reason to take a dump on it. Nuff said? JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #165
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

We got yet another 2 sponsors.

Acutally one we have had for a while - Danger Racing - but they made their sponsor gift better for you guys.

10% of from their products to day and untill 21 March. I send everybody - that has signed up for the race - the promotion code. Let me know have you not received that email!

And then Sweetbay Supermarket is making sure that there will be a banana or two for the skaters to munch on after the race

It is getting better for every day!!
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #166
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Here's the number 1 reason why I'm going to Squiggy:

Aaaah! I can't stands it no more! It's Feb 26th for heaven's sake!
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #167
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Tom, what a nice picture, snow is great (as long I don't have to freeze in it)

I will mostly not get to much "well Birgit it most be rough to live in Clearwater" - so I'll just share a picture of the view from the bridge I take to get to Flatwoods (SR60 causeway to Tampa)

and a "little birdie" that was taking a rest on my front porch

Old February 26th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #168
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Oh man that looks nice.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #169
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
Here's the number 1 reason why I'm going to Squiggy:

Aaaah! I can't stands it no more! It's Feb 26th for heaven's sake!

Nice place TD. We're in the middle of a storm right now, expecting 7 more inches. But hey, it's February in Canada. We get snow!

Christine
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #170
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
Tom, what a nice picture, snow is great (as long I don't have to freeze in it)

I will mostly not get to much "well Birgit it most be rough to live in Clearwater" - so I'll just share a picture of the view from the bridge I take to get to Flatwoods (SR60 causeway to Tampa)

and a "little birdie" that was taking a rest on my front porch

Great views Birgit. It looks lovely where you live.

Christine
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #171
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8crazy View Post
Great views Birgit. It looks lovely where you live.

Christine
Thanks Christine - it is!

7 inches of snow - send a picture of the huge snowperson (that would be the political correct term - yes ) that you have a chance to build with all that snow.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #172
speedysktr
President of Everything

die you stupid, stupid bird,

<ahem>

we're having a little snow as well
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #173
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post

die you stupid, stupid bird,

<ahem>

we're having a little snow as well

Mr. president, birds are nice and serene (unless they drop unwanted stuff on your head...) so no shooting them, you can practice on this one instead - I'm sure John Jerome will help you

I met this little fella last time I was in Flatwoods.

Old February 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #174
speedysktr
President of Everything

goin back after the bird, this thing's just too tough!!!

speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #175
Rabidroller

Default Armadillos at Flatwoods

Arrrrrrghh! Birgit, you would have to dredge up that horrible memory! (You have to keep an eye on these boards to see what folks are saying about you). She's referring to my 2nd and worst-ever encounter I had with the innocent-looking critters (don't be fooled!). They are among the most unpredictable critters on the face of the earth. The first encounter was a mere sideswipe without further incident; the 2nd encounter however was a different story. The armadillo reversed directions twice while crossing the trail and darted right into my right skate after faking me out with a false exit - I was doing at least 15 mph when the encounter resulted in a butt landing and a 50 foot slide turning my tights into swiss cheese. It was several weeks before I could sit comfortably. Rattlesnakes (abound at Flatwoods) don't scare me - armadillos leave me shaking in my boots.
Rabidroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #176
Rabidroller

Default Armadillos

BTW, in both cases, the armadillos were unscathed.
Rabidroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:07 AM   #177
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidroller View Post
Arrrrrrghh! Birgit, you would have to dredge up that horrible memory! (You have to keep an eye on these boards to see what folks are saying about you). She's referring to my 2nd and worst-ever encounter I had with the innocent-looking critters (don't be fooled!). They are among the most unpredictable critters on the face of the earth. The first encounter was a mere sideswipe without further incident; the 2nd encounter however was a different story. The armadillo reversed directions twice while crossing the trail and darted right into my right skate after faking me out with a false exit - I was doing at least 15 mph when the encounter resulted in a butt landing and a 50 foot slide turning my tights into swiss cheese. It was several weeks before I could sit comfortably. Rattlesnakes (abound at Flatwoods) don't scare me - armadillos leave me shaking in my boots.
I just love that story, esp. when you tell it with all arm and leg gestures, makes me laugh

A little race update.

We have 102 signed up as of tonight!! Great!!

Remember that you can't sign up on race day, so for marathon and half marathon no later than 2pm Saturday on site or use online registration (open until Thursday at midnight)

If you want to participate in time trials Saturday, remember to sign up online or no later than Friday night at the Ranger Station in Flatwoods.

Weater forecast still looks very nice, lots of sun, warm but not hot (high of 72F) (and maybe a slight chance for rain 10%-40%). And sorry for being a motherly race director - but for those from out of state not used to too much sun, please make sure to hydrate and use sunblock. Yes it is only beginning of March, but the Florida sun is brutal.
How does she know, you migh want to ask... Because I have very fair skin (read pale as a ghost) and I've had my share of "kisses" by the Florida Sun

Looking forward to see great skating and great sportsmanship!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM   #178
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Sounds like I better bring my rain wheels...just in case... please no...please no..
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM   #179
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
Sounds like I better bring my rain wheels...just in case... please no...please no..
This morning it was back to 0% rain on Sunday and down to 25% Saturday.

But I would bring rain wheels never the less. A set of wheels extra does not matter that much - you know the whole "be prepared thing"
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #180
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

I'd recommend bringing an extra set of wheels but the current forecast makes it looks like the Friday Night Skate will be the only event with possible rain. A few rain drops will only add to the stories told in the years ahead, so...

LezSk8!