S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #1
Sacha Evans

Default Bonts vs Antiks

At the moment, I have a pair of vanilla brass knuckles and I'm really wanting another set of skates. Who can give me some advice in regards to bonts vs antiks?
Storm In a D Cup #18
Remember, a bitch on the floor doesn't score
Sacha Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #2
16blue

Well -- I can say that I love my Bonts... very happy with the lack of break-in time and the snug fit. I considered getting Antiks, but the main thing that stopped me was that they're made by Riedell. Don't get me wrong -- I've had and liked some Riedell skates in the past (125s, especially... 265s, not so much). But I like the snugger heel of the Bonts.

I've heard great things about the Antiks, though, so maybe the fit thing isn't such a big deal when it comes to them.
16blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Negative Nancy
Mrs Self Destruct

I have Antiks and love em.

My husband has ordered Bont's and I'm super jealous.

The Bont's are lighter and the Antiks have more ankle support. Don't think you could go wrong with either.
Negative Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Chesty La Rue

Default If you can wait till....

Well you already know my vote......Hopefully i get mine in a few weeks
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

I have never had Antiks on, but have taken a close look at some pairs. Nothing looks bad, people like them. They are a nice "standard" boot.

The Bont, however, is a different animal. Look at the bottom. On most boots there is a 90, or nearly 90, degree angle where boot meets sole. Not with the Bont. The Bont goes from the flat horizontal bottom, and gently curves upward. With, and often even without, heat molding, the bottom of the boot will match the contours of the bottom of your foot.

As for the uppers. On my quad racer leathers, I don't even feel them.

And let's not forget one of my favorite features. The solid, heat moldable heel cup. Many a boot and skater have been done in by heel slippage. Won't happen with a Bont. It is narrow to start, and can be molded narrower still, or wider to suit. NO such thing as heel slip with a Bont. What about counters? You don't need no stinkin' counters! Just that sweet stiff heel cup.

Oh, and let's not forget the supple roo leather. Sweet. The net result is that the Bont cradles and caresses your ENTIRE foot so closely and well, that there are no pressure points. The whole foot is being held in place. Not a tight place here picking up the slack for a loose part there. The whole foot is supported and held in place.

The Bont is truly a little bit different, and many Bont owners would say better, than your "standard" sole and upper style boot.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Sacha Evans

So I'm getting a lot of great feedback for the bonts. I need to hear from those who have Antiks...come on people
Storm In a D Cup #18
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Bonts are just really good boots.
You are in Aus, so if you want something like Antiks I would go with Altamuras, hand made buy the man himself, and very very nice.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Fresh Eddie Fresh

They are both much different animals... if you like less support and more ankle movement, the Bonts might be for you. I was able to skate a friend of mine's Antiks a week or so ago, and they are nice boots... they felt like I was wearing hockey boots, though, which for me is odd, since I am more of a low cut boot guy. I didn't even lace them up and it was a wrestling match to get them off of my feet.

It all depends on what you like, I can see the merits of both.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #9
skate mech

Many derby people I have talked to want some sort of ankle protection. There is much contact in derby, and it's easy for ankles to get clipped. I still don't like wearing any footwear that leaves my ankle unprotected, as I have worn workboots for the last x amount of years. I decided to go Bont because I have wide feet and narrow ankles=I haven't found anything I can wear barefoot without heel slip. And I do like barefoot.

On a side note, Antiks need to be made somewhere as they do not have a boot making facility. So they have a contract with Riedell to make boots for them to Antik specifications. Many companies do this. It shouldn't be a sticking point. I don't know the exact arrangement.

We have a custom boot maker in Calgary, but so far, they only do cowboy boots and riding boots. If I could convince them to do a skate boot, I would be tickled.
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:27 PM   #10
AceofSkates

I just got my hands on an AR-1/Reactor set up, and after getting sized by Mo at ECDX and going down an additional 1/2 size to compensate for the boot stretch I really love these... Coming from a 595 with its lower stiffer cut (which was literally cutting into my ankles causing me to bleed) the higher boot feels amazing... Coming from an ice hockey background before derby, these feel VERY similar to my old hockey boots, and feel like a product which was designed from the ground up with derby in mind... The closed box toe is amazing for preventing busted toes and toe nails which were common in my old 595s and 265s, the large cushioned tongue says in place no matter what (which has never happened in my other skates), and the higher boot covers my ankles and gives me a bit of support which I had been lacking in my other boots... two features which are really awesome are the reinforcement of the toe with abrasion resistant material (rather than using leather toe guards) and the notches in the sides of the boot between the 2nd and 3rd eyelets from the top. When using the heel lock, with the laces wrapped around the back of the boot these little notches keep the laces in place and prevent them from slipping or popping out of place while skating... Im extremely happy with my AR-1s...
Ace of Skates #2
New York Shock Exchange - Mens Roller Derby Association
AceofSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Engel

One of my derby wives, matadora from stuttgart valley rollergirls has antiks. and she really really loves them! but she never skated bonts.
i never skated either of them, but people that have one or the other seem to love them.
can you try one of them on?

im thinking about when i go to berlin go to a shop the girls from berlin bombshells opened so i can try some antiks on
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:01 AM   #12
Sacha Evans

I don't really have a personal preference the cut of a skate. I wear a low cut but am also comfortable in a higher boot too. I think I'll have to try a pair of Antiks on. I just really like the look of them. They make my eyes happy
Storm In a D Cup #18
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:39 AM   #13
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

These make my eyes and my feet happy!

Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:02 AM   #14
St. Knives
Patron Saint of Your Mom

Those ARE gorgeous...

Two girls from my league just bought Bonts and they don't love them, though. Apparently they cut into their ankles and one of them gets a hot-spot on the outside of her foot. I assume it's all stuff that could be fixed with targeted heat molding, though.

A couple others just got Antiks and they love them. I think you probably can't go wrong with either boot... as long as you're willing to put some work into heat molding. If my soccer boots don't work out I plan to replace them with Bonts. (You know, with all that money I have laying around that isn't doing anything else... stupid SEDS!)
St. Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:58 AM   #15
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

I like them!
I reckon the Antiks would be nice but I just can't see myself in hightops.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:31 AM   #16
CoastalChick
Not a fishnets gal

How much higher up the ankle will/can Bont go with the Quad Racers and Hybrids? If lack of ankle support is a sticking point, can that be tweaked in a custom (or semi-custom) order?

I've tried on Antiks and they fit nicely - but they cramped my toes something awful, and they were most definitely the correct size. Who knows.
CoastalChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:57 AM   #17
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalChick View Post
How much higher up the ankle will/can Bont go with the Quad Racers and Hybrids? If lack of ankle support is a sticking point, can that be tweaked in a custom (or semi-custom) order?
Dunno, I've had conflicting info on that. I think they could make them higher but I'm not sure that you would get it done without spending a bit of extra coin.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:12 AM   #18
NZBuzz

Default ankle support

I remember reading somewhere on here - someone commenting on the lack of ankle support in the bonts - then they tried them with seperate ankle support bands (you can buy them most chemists I think) and said that that fixed the problem perfectly so now they have the best of both boots! I am waiting on my bonts and plan on trying this if ankle stability bothers me so I will let you know how I get on
NZBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:47 AM   #19
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Take note..

Someone has a Bont and it's eating their ankle?? Perhaps the action is too tight..

I'd say 90% of boot "rubbing" problems come from 2 things:
1 Improper fit..
2 Improper suspension set up...

The better the sk8 turns, the less energy and effort gets expended in making them turn... You don't have to push the boot as hard to make the sk8 turn, therefor, the boot is less inclined to push back..

Just one more good reason to get a plate that turns.. I wonder how many sk8rs go through life trying to find the perfect boot when all they need is a better set up on their plate..

Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:42 PM   #20
Cav0011

my wife and I both use antiks, she uses AR1's and i use MG2's. We both love the boots, and as far as heal lift goes niether of us have any, the antiks have a really intelligent design to the lace eyelets that lock down the ankle area of the foot. Also the AR1's have a loop on the back of the boot to loop laces through which helps too.

On another point as skate mech said the biggest pro i see is the ankle support, i play basketball and have seen/had a ton of ankle injuries caused by disruptions in lateral movement, derby has tons of lateral movement at high speeds and i have seen a ton of ankle injuries in derby so im a huge supporter of higher boots. Ankle injuries are annoying and linger.
Cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote