S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old January 19th, 2018, 08:49 AM   #21
HeBeGB

Jack, don't go bringing facts and logical arguments to this discussion, they will be shot down with pure rhetoric and uniformed opinions
Old January 19th, 2018, 09:27 AM   #22
leshomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
Jack, don't go bringing facts and logical arguments to this discussion, they will be shot down with pure rhetoric and uniformed opinions
We don’t want the facts to become ursless to this thread.
Old January 19th, 2018, 02:22 PM   #23
ursle
Street Skater

So, a thread about rollerbones wheels, and it's getting trolled by everything not rollerbones, oh'my

Anyway, there's a rollerbones site,
https://rollerbones.com/wheels?dir=desc&order=price
and it offered parts and wheels and bearing for sale, for example, wheel spacers, they look to be nylon or plastic, light weight, there's also a bones bearings site, it's more comprehensive for parts and offers all of bones bearings.
https://bonesbearings.com/skateboard...sc&order=price

Also, an outdoor wheel, 65mm high, 78a, glad I looked, I prefer a light weight wheel, but I bet they last years, how nice a site to look at them, and order them from.

A nice hub, hard urethane 62 mm in height, and only 149$, easily purchased, and let's not forget, you can buy the best ceramic bearings to go in them.

I bet you can walk into a skate shop most anywhere in the US and put your hands on these items, might even find them on sale, it's nice that rollerbones takes the time to help inform skaters about their products, and they are easy to contact, heck, they can be reached from this forum via the private message apparatus available to members.

Ah, speed rings

And spare shields

And yes, spare ball retainers, gotta hand it to a company that has it all

Ah'ha, they also sell the best lubricant you can use for skate bearings

I have one of these, after I soak the bearings in "whatever" to clean them, I put them on this made for bearing device and soak them in 92% isopropyl, then blow them with air to dry them, from the side, not allowing the bearing to spin, then give them each two drops of speed cream, and I can count on rollerbones to have everything available and easy to get.

Well, now it's back to everything not rollerbones, which quite honestly isn't very professional when it's by people that also make their living in the skate world, but who's to judge
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #24
HeBeGB

Thankyou for the paid political announcement, Ursle.
I don't remember having a go at any Rollerbones products, but I guess I should go back and re-read my previous posts to back that up.
Oh and you are right, the Rollerbones website does have pretty pictures so that people can see what they are buying, thankyou for that.
Old January 20th, 2018, 06:39 AM   #25
leshomes

Supursless - word meaning redundant information readily available on the world wide web.
Old January 20th, 2018, 12:43 PM   #26
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Of course they'd need to sell retainers. Their quality control on reds retainers is trash, so you'll need more after the malformed or broken out of the box cages come off the balls and your wheel goes skipping across the ground away from you. Lol

I have the bones bearing cleaner. I can't say I like that thing.

Sewing machine oil for indoor, and grease for outdoor. Speed cream is overpriced snake oil IMO. Show me a product data sheet with performance characteristics of the lubricant. I don't buy into hype.

Their spacers are what size and fit which of the wheels they sell reliably? Virtually none? Lol.

Speed rings, a almost pointless item. (Flip/clip axles guys need something like them though) But at least it does create a small gap between trucks and nuts, in case you're obsessed with worry that your bearing seals(which are countersunk into the inner and outer races) will rub and cause drag.

I have 2 sets of RBT'S, and I was not impressed with the wear characteristics. Not exactly disappointed either really, but for what they are, ya can do one better for 50$ less, a set of zombie wheels won't have spokes break on you, and have perfect hubs, which can actually USE spacers, since every damn hub is the same width between bearings. measured 5 sets now and not 1 was off the mark. Amazing job Sure Grip.
Old January 20th, 2018, 01:46 PM   #27
ursle
Street Skater

Let's just look at these products again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
So, a thread about rollerbones wheels, and it's getting trolled by everything not rollerbones, oh'my

Anyway, there's a rollerbones site,
https://rollerbones.com/wheels?dir=desc&order=price
and it offered parts and wheels and bearing for sale, for example, wheel spacers, they look to be nylon or plastic, light weight, there's also a bones bearings site, it's more comprehensive for parts and offers all of bones bearings.
https://bonesbearings.com/skateboard...sc&order=price

Also, an outdoor wheel, 65mm high, 78a, glad I looked, I prefer a light weight wheel, but I bet they last years, how nice a site to look at them, and order them from.

A nice hub, hard urethane 62 mm in height, and only 149$, easily purchased, and let's not forget, you can buy the best ceramic bearings to go in them.

I bet you can walk into a skate shop most anywhere in the US and put your hands on these items, might even find them on sale, it's nice that rollerbones takes the time to help inform skaters about their products, and they are easy to contact, heck, they can be reached from this forum via the private message apparatus available to members.

Ah, speed rings

And spare shields

And yes, spare ball retainers, gotta hand it to a company that has it all

Ah'ha, they also sell the best lubricant you can use for skate bearings

I have one of these, after I soak the bearings in "whatever" to clean them, I put them on this made for bearing device and soak them in 92% isopropyl, then blow them with air to dry them, from the side, not allowing the bearing to spin, then give them each two drops of speed cream, and I can count on rollerbones to have everything available and easy to get.

Well, now it's back to everything not rollerbones, which quite honestly isn't very professional when it's by people that also make their living in the skate world, but who's to judge
Old January 20th, 2018, 01:54 PM   #28
ursle
Street Skater

And more...

It's nice this company offers so much

Artwork

Even these

And a patch

Or two

Golly, three

Even more

Ahhh

And most important different retainers for different bearings, again, who else offers bearing parts...

And decales

Yea bones bearings
Old January 21st, 2018, 06:53 AM   #29
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Wow.
Are you after a bones kickback.....Or something.
Old January 21st, 2018, 05:20 PM   #30
ursle
Street Skater

More a case of being somewhere between karma and "Do onto others"

If a set of ceramic bearings were offered at cost that would be Karma.
If the thread stops bashing Rollerbones, that would be "Do unto others"
Old January 21st, 2018, 08:40 PM   #31
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Your so deluded.
At what point did i bag bones.
If anything i bagged shamans.
Old January 21st, 2018, 09:13 PM   #32
jotson

I do like the RBT's, but it's also the only wheel I have flat-spotted. Bought a set of second hand Scotts, and I'm hooked. They are enforcers, so I am using Bones Swiss Ceramics, and the ride is amazing! I was always afraid of the weight, but the 59mm enforcer/hub is the same weight as the 62mm RBT.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2018, 11:45 PM   #33
RollerBones

Please feel free to read about the History of Bones Bearings and ABEC vs. Skate rated articles at bonesbearings.com just scroll to the bottom. We re-engineered our bearing for better tolerance and clearances for the application of skating. It's not a marketing thing. Plus the only "swiss" bearings either come from our factory of Jessa, and I believe that's only Bont at this time.
RollerBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 07:53 AM   #34
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerBones View Post
Please feel free to read about the History of Bones Bearings and ABEC vs. Skate rated articles at bonesbearings.com just scroll to the bottom. We re-engineered our bearing for better tolerance and clearances for the application of skating. It's not a marketing thing. Plus the only "swiss" bearings either come from our factory of Jessa, and I believe that's only Bont at this time.
Skate rated means nothing. It is not held to a standard, like ABEC ratings are(not saying they really matter, as that depends..). It gives no information, there arent even "levels" of your "skate rated" bearings.

Jessa supposedly makes good quality products. Personally have never done destructive testing on any bearing with sophisticated equipment to get any data from.

The internal clearances needed in a bearing are simply subject to the lack of precision in the assembly. The single most important factor for that is awheels hub precision, a distant second being a axle trueness and truck faces being cut perpendicular to the axle.

Most skaters are not rolling precision machined hubs that can make use of tighter internal clearances, So looser than standard internal clearances easily allows for good roll without having to worry about getting a perfectly shaped /molded/machined hub(s) in a set of wheels.

My major problem with the BS "skate rated" crap is that it doesn't educate, it obfuscates.

It leads less educated people to believe they are getting something special, when they aren't.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:00 PM   #35
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Were the Bones bearings of maybe a decade ago made in different places than those of today?

I have 4 sets of Bones Swiss bearings that are a dozen years old (2 sets of 627 and 2 sets of 608) and they're just as great now as they were when I purchased them, with little maintenance. Maybe a dab of Triflow synthetic lubitcant every other month and an annual cleaning (which basically consists of spraying the crap out of the w/ WD-40, using pressurized air to clear that out, and reapplying the lubricant).
chuckboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:22 PM   #36
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerBones View Post
Please feel free to read about the History of Bones Bearings and ABEC vs. Skate rated articles at bonesbearings.com just scroll to the bottom. We re-engineered our bearing for better tolerance and clearances for the application of skating. It's not a marketing thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Were the Bones bearings of maybe a decade ago made in different places than those of today?

I have 4 sets of Bones Swiss bearings that are a dozen years old (2 sets of 627 and 2 sets of 608) and they're just as great now as they were when I purchased them, with little maintenance. Maybe a dab of Triflow synthetic lubitcant every other month and an annual cleaning (which basically consists of spraying the crap out of the w/ WD-40, using pressurized air to clear that out, and reapplying the lubricant).
Let me help you, this is gleamed from the bottom of the page at "bonesbearings.com".

BY GEORGE A. POWELL
Bones Swiss
In the early 1980s, skateboarding was at a low ebb and it was difficult to find top quality bearings. American bearing companies like Fafnir had vacated the bearing market because the Japanese produced vast quantities of lower cost bearings and U.S. companies could not compete at the price Japanese bearings were selling for. The Japanese bearings were of good quality but were not very fast. German bearings were better, but many skaters wanted an even faster bearing to help them go higher on vert ramps or to roll farther with each push.

Seeing this need, I set out to find the best bearing I could that would still be affordable to skaters. I looked in America and in Europe. My search ended at a small, custom bearing manufacturer in Switzerland. Their bearings were faster than any we had ever tested before and, at the time, only a little more expensive than German bearings.

I worked with the Swiss manufacturer to optimize a bearing for skating. I changed from a standard stamped metal ball retainer to a high speed precision molded plastic one that could be removed by skaters to allow better cleaning of the bearing. We left one shield off so skaters could get to the inside of the bearing without any tools to clean and re-lubricate it. Next, we adjusted the tolerances and clearances to allow the bearing to take the combination side and vertical loads imposed by skating better than normal bearings do (which are mostly designed for electric motors). Finally, we replaced the usual lubricant with a special one we developed ourselves called Bones Speed Cream™.

Re-engineering this fine bearing for skating produced the fastest, most sought after, most competition successful bearing in the history of our sport. In fact, it is still the fastest bearing you can buy for skating even after all these years and after many other companies have packaged and hyped you to buy their ABEC-1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 “super bearings” with cartoon characters, racy names or whatever.

We test all these bearings with custom equipment we have made to compare the important qualities of bearings like drag and vibration at high speeds and extended roll at low and medium speeds. Then we have our team ride the bearings until the bearings “die” to see how long they will last and how they perform in actual skating environments. Some of the bearings you will see advertised or sold in shops are junk and some are pretty good, but no bearing we have ever tested has equaled the performance of Bones Swiss.

AFFORDABLE BEARINGS
The only thing negative we can say about Bones Bearings is today’s price. it is high because the Swiss have to charge this much to make money, and we have to pass our increased cost along to you. I know this puts Bones Swiss out of reach for many skaters and so I have been searching for a bearing that approaches the performance of our legendary Swiss at a lower price.

When I considered where I might find such a bearing, I thought of China because I have visited this rapidly developing country a number of times to help introduce skateboarding to the Chinese. While there, I discovered that parts of China are highly developed, possess good manufacturing equipment, and are capable of producing high quality items at low cost. So I started a search in China for a bearing manufacturer capable of producing a great skate bearing with a little help from us.

Two years and many tests later, we succeeded in coming amazingly close to the performance of our own Bones Swiss, for less than half the price, using a high quality Chinese bearing manufacturer willing to follow our design specifications. We call this product Bones REDS™, and they deliver the best blend of speed, strength, and durability you can buy at a price all skaters can afford.

I know that most Chinese bearings offered to skaters today were selected for their low cost, not their quality and performance. This has resulted in a number of nicely packaged, poor quality Chinese bearings being successfully promoted with big ads in skate mags. These companies don’t want you to know that their bearings are just the cheapest bearings they could buy placed in a pretty box and they don’t even tell you where they are made.

I mention this because Bones REDS™ are not a low quality bearing in a pretty package, but could be mistaken for this before you ride them just because they are made in China. What we have done with Bones REDS™ is similar in concept to our affordable Mini Logo product many of you have enjoyed—great product at a rock bottom price.

Bones REDS™ have very low friction, are made from top quality materials, and share a design similar to our Bones Swiss, featuring high speed ball retainers, a single shield for easy cleaning, and are also pre-lubed with Speed Cream™ to make them fast and long lasting.

We are proud of Bones REDS™ and so we are not afraid to say our affordable bearings are made in China... the homeland of Chin. Bones REDS™ are available in your local shop. I know you will be pleased with the price and the performance of Bones REDS™.
Old January 25th, 2018, 04:01 PM   #37
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

In all honesty why don't everyone be helpful and supportive, the more options that are out there being made is better for all skaters. I know Scott's wheels are great for most but I sold both sets of mine due to the floor I skate on is unpredictable with them. I am still skating on a mixed set of Red Line Hotline Fanjets that were made in the 80's and they are starting to slide so other wheel options are welcomed by me.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote