S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 29th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #241
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Eddie Matzger is no spring chicken, yet places in the top ten or twelve of every race he enters, and he's an unbelievable 37 years old last time the topic came up. Go ahead- tell me one other endurance/speed sport that can pit the vets against the young bucks in the same pack. Again, we may not be ascending the podium, but we aren't bowing at the altar either.

No nurse, i won't be taking my Geritol today, and that's a particularly lovely blouse you're wearing....

See ya's at the finish line.
According to the results for St. Paul Eddy is 39. I knew he was with in one year of my own age.

At the Eddy clinic the 14 yo boy from my team that was there asked about Eddy and how he would do against Joey Mantia. I said that in a short distance that Joey would win at a marathon distance it would be close and in the A2A I'd bet on Eddy.

Re: autocross track at Seahawk stadium. I ask one of the "Event Security" guys if I could skate it and they said that no one was allowed in that area. I asked who I could ask for permission and he said the "Event Manager" who was not there

They are running a medical fair at my building today and I got "tested". 140/70 with a pulse of 70, 76mg/dl glucose and a 200 combined cholesterol. All these numbers are not fasting numbers so they don't count for too much.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #242
speedysktr
President of Everything

It's called adult onset immaturity. As you get fitter and fitter, your brain thinks it's mobility device (your body) has gotten younger and reverts to previous maturity levels. For me that is about the mentality of a 14-15 year old because I stopped maturing at the age of 17.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #243
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
It's called adult onset immaturity. As you get fitter and fitter, your brain thinks it's mobility device (your body) has gotten younger and reverts to previous maturity levels. For me that is about the mentality of a 14-15 year old because I stopped maturing at the age of 17.
Ahh...so there is a reason. I'll have to remember when my wife brings it up.
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #244
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

I am seriously wiped right now, with no chance of recovery any time soon, so I have to make a "generalized" statement to prevent from excluding anyone. You are all awesome, impressive times, impressive distances, truly the greats in the field. I'm honored to have had this association with you, and may one day talk to my grand kids about "who I knew when they were.....".
Code, you're scaring me son. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #245
Code Monkey

Jon B., If I had your phone number I would have called you after my fifty miler. Even though I could barely take my skates off my feet hurt so bad and I couldn't untie my boots, somehow my brain was thinking of when I could do this again. I look down at my feet and once I get passed the shock of the true horror, I somehow feel proud. Obviously I am suffering from some sort of psychosis. However, I don't think it is immaturity, so there speedy... nanny nanny boo boo!
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #246
speedysktr
President of Everything

Skater, rest thyself and hurry back.
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #247
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
nanny nanny boo boo!
I'm telling!!!
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #248
NWGlenn

Tues 08-29 AM: Back out to the McDevelopment for more hills and grades. Did the usual four 5.6mi laps elapsed time 2:08 for 10.5mph (included one pit stop). Lap times:

1) 31m / 10.83mph
2) 33m / 10.18mph (includes stop)
3) 32m / 10.5mph
4) 32m / 10.5mph

Times are at least a minute slower per lap than previously...hope it's just still recovering from Sunday's 50 mi.; 'will find out Thur.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #249
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
I'm telling!!!

Will you stop touching me!
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #250
gbo
once faster than a wocket

various quotes
Quote:
Will you stop touching me!
I'm telling!!!
nanny nanny boo boo!
As you get fitter and fitter, your brain thinks it's mobility device (your body) has gotten younger..
maybe that should be the motto on the skatelog t-shirts - 'where the skaters just keep getting younger...'

gbo
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #251
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
According to the results for St. Paul Eddy is 39. I knew he was with in one year of my own age.
Yeah, and let's just say that i'm closer to eddie's age than Joey Mantia's, and leave it at that. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
At the Eddy clinic the 14 yo boy from my team that was there asked about Eddy and how he would do against Joey Mantia. I said that in a short distance that Joey would win at a marathon distance it would be close and in the A2A I'd bet on Eddy.
Well, i'm afraid that i;d have to bet on Joey for all three, but be that as it may, Joey placed a half dozen ahead of Eddie at last year's Duluth Northshore Marathon, but as you say, it was close. As for the ulta-distances, we may never know becuase the WIC big dogs refuse to skate it.
Doing battle against the youthful wellsprings of boundless energy is a tough battle to wage, and I'm afraid that it's rarely won. think the best to hope for is to give them a good run for their money.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #252
speedysktr
President of Everything

Aug. 29 5.8 mile hill loop 4 times. Gless has the elevation and I'll add it later. It didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. With doing this loop I had hoped to transition from strictly hill repeats to hill work followed by immediate skating. Although, this happened several times and we did wind up with some decent descents, there were several instances of waiting and recovering that I had hoped to avoid. Next week I'll arrange a cyclist so I don't have to wait. The first loop was intentionally fairly mellow. The next loop was a little harder and the youngster thought he might hurt me on the big climb, but after his initial gap of 50', I was on his wheel at the top. I was feeling the weekend's efforts and was a little wary for the following half lap, but when we came around for the third climb my legs had finally loosened up and I had happy feet. On the fourth, there was much petitioning for a reduced intensity. I relented for a little while, but picked it up halfway up the hill. If you want to crush someone's spirit, halfway up a hill just take off. When we crested the steep part, I just started skating and was gandhi (gone). I was okay to take it easier the last lap just to avoid overdoing it and compromising my plans to motour pace on Thurs.
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #253
Pepper Montana

8/30 14 miles on the hilly loop in 59 minutes. It's ok because of short rations on sleep and extra rations of bud light the night before.

8/29 rained out, no time for the treadmill

8/28 rained out, 64 minutes of cardio on treadmill

8/27 64 minutes of treadmill frolics

edited to add that Bud light is not my first choice when it comes to beverages
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #254
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
8/28 rained out, 64 minutes of cardio on treadmill

8/27 64 minutes of treadmill frolics
Out of curiousity, why the extra 4 minutes? Cool down?
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #255
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
edited to add that Bud light is not my first choice when it comes to beverages
yet you did choose it, didn't you!

Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.- Homer J. Simpson
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #256
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
As for the ulta-distances, we may never know becuase the WIC big dogs refuse to skate it.
Actually, we know.

Any finish beats DNF.

DNF beats DNS.

DNS beats "didn't bother to sign up"

By refusing to skate the ultra's, they are, in a way, deciding not to contest the superiority (even if soley at ultra-distance) of those who do skate them.

Dev Gnoll

"Why did my helmet suddenly get tighter?"
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #257
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Great accomplishments everyone. I love reading about how well everyone is doing.

I forgot to mention that on Sunday Luke and I went the fastest I've ever gone downhill, 38mph. It was sweet

August 28

10 hill repeats at Upper Tampa Bay trail - got a "glutton for pain" comment from a walker.

August 29

Missed track practice due to a soccer game. Spin 45 minutes with 1 mile fast run afterwards (got a tri coming up next weekend)

August 30

Missed skate due to Ernesto. Not really feeling much tropical effect here, but it is raining a bit and I just cleaned my bearings. 6 mile run on the treadmill
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #258
speedysktr
President of Everything

There actually have been a number of top Europeans that have done well at A2A. Check the results for '97 '99 and '00. Granted, they aren't swarming to do the ultra distances any more than our top guys.
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #259
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Here is a photo of Tristan Loy finishing A2A in third place in 2000, and not being too happy about it...
http://www.skatelog.com/skaters/tris...a-2000-3rd.htm

I also have a photo of the 2000 winner Benoit Perthuis someplace in my files... off to find it...

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #260
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
Here is a photo of Tristan Loy finishing A2A in third place in 2000, and not being too happy about it...
http://www.skatelog.com/skaters/tris...a-2000-3rd.htm

I also have a photo of the 2000 winner Benoit Perthuis someplace in my files... off to find it...

- Kathie
Looking up the results was fascinating. Tristan won 1999 and Eddy was 7th -- 20 minutes back. Eddy was 2nd in 2000 a second back from Benoit. Since then it really has been the Eddy show!