S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 15th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #61
speedysktr
President of Everything

everyone acts like the 5x80 is some red headed step child, but until a couple years ago, that was the setup that made inline speed skating what it is today. More power to you.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #62
Pepper Montana

Did 7 miles on the hilly loop at a much higher intensity than usual. Made myself throwup trying to hang with the local fast skaters. Worked on trying to get low and push through the heels. Still raising the toe and my foot is angled out when I draw it back before set down. Did 90 wonderful situps and I enjoyed feeling muscles in my midsection beneath the fat layer.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #63
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Aug 15

Where: Seahawk stadium parking lot
What: drills
Conditions: Overcast, 55F, 9MPH, dry

22 minutes of sculling, ampersand gliding, and trying to land with my wheels in line with my leg. My body still hurts from the self abuse this past weekend.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #64
speedysktr
President of Everything

Wink Sewing Bee...

Aug. 15th 10 miles in the early afternoon-easy pace, stretching the legs with one of the indoor kids. Early evening, Gless and I did down hill sprints. 10 reps with a total of about an hour of skating. This is definitely something we need more of.

Smilies courtesy of Yun Yi
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #65
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGlenn View Post
DaveMorgan: Still learning the new forum...couldn't make your quote come up in speedie's post.
I cant figure out how to make the quotes within a quote come up either, however, if you look at the bottom right hand side there's a little button called multi-quote. That's like an on/off switch that flags the quotes that you want to include in your post. Inside of an original quote there's a little blue arrow that takes you back to the actual post that was quoted. You can use that arrow to flag that post to be quoted. It won't come up like the old quote inside the quote used to, but if you cut and paste it you can make it look however you want.

There are several of the old threads that have been reborn that I'm hesitating to post in hoping that the old threads make it back.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #66
NWGlenn

Tue. 08-15: Not up to it this AM...still had kinks from Sunday. Loosened up by noon and headed out to Clear Creek Trail to take it easy and concentrate on stride and form...sorta did; at least I'm getting more fluidity in what appears to be (one variation of) the double push. Did 10 laps / 28mi in 123min for 13.33 mph o/a. First segment was dead on with 5 12min laps/14mph, the second was a mix of 12 and 13 min laps/13.33mph.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #67
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
Sounds like Washington has got something going on. Good stuff! It is clear that you have intensity for your workouts. It would be easy to call the workout toast with short loops. What is the motto for Washington? It seems that the Northwest and the Southeast is where all the skating mojo is these days. Giving Florida a run for the title of most intense skaters. Good stuff!
"Alki" Native American for "bye 'n' bye" or more formally "hope for the future". I guess the last applies to the whomping I've been giving myself these past six months. There are some really good trails in the Seattle-Tacoma area but I and mvirtue are on the other side of Puget Sound. Not a lot of skating venues apart from local parks and my one little piece of pavement attatched to what's essentially a nature trail. Our one training "killer" is the McDevelopment: an upscale (500K - 1M $) planned housing area built around a golf course. Good pavement and golfcart wide shoulders. Measured off with Mark's Garmin @ 5.6mi. It's all hills and grades and really pulls it out of me. I wish we'd gotten some elevation changes when we were checking it. I haven't been able to do more than five laps straight on it yet and those are 30min+ laps. I guess it did something for me as my long distance times improved dramatically.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #68
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGlenn View Post
Measured off with Mark's Garmin @ 5.6mi. It's all hills and grades and really pulls it out of me. I wish we'd gotten some elevation changes when we were checking it. I haven't been able to do more than five laps straight on it yet and those are 30min+ laps. I guess it did something for me as my long distance times improved dramatically.
I just pulled up the Garmin software and the lap that I have that is closest to what you are doing said that I did 480ft each of ascent and descent.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #69
Pepper Montana

woohoo, set a personal best for the hilly loop today. Tapering for St. Paul so I only did 5 laps. Clocked it at a full 30 seconds less than my previous best. Did it in 29 minutes. I have been working on my form and it is paying off! Intense but short workout. Did 90 situps and now I need to tackle the day.
Something that is great is that my max heart rate was only 175 and the average was 146. This is great because I went faster but didn't work as hard!

Last edited by Pepper Montana; August 16th, 2006 at 02:00 PM. Reason: forgot the heart rate data!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #70
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

August 15

Track workout - 6x800, 1 mile cooldown. It had just rained, so it was nice out, but we had to rush the workout because there was a soccer game about to start. I hate being rushed. All the 800's except the first were 3:15 and under, with what seemed like a lot less rest than we were supposed to get.

August 16

I also have a personal best to report! I beat my 21 mile record by 12 seconds. 21 miles in 1:16:04 avg pace 3:37. I plan to keep knocking it down minute by minute until I match Speedy's incredible 1:05 (worlds away, but hey - a year ago I never thought I would break 4 minute miles).
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #71
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Aug 16

Where: Seahawk stadium parking lot
What: drills
Conditions: High scattered clouds, 57F, 5MPH, dry

25 minutes of sculling, ampersand gliding, and trying to land with my wheels in line with my leg. And yes, my body still hurts from the self abuse this past weekend.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #72
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Just a quick calamity note. I'm 1/2 way through my four martathons in four days having done 26.5 on the Suncoast Parkway with Napalm today, 27 on the Withlacoochee yesterday. Full report will follow when complete......but today! There are two hills of particular interest on the Suncoast Parkway Trail that are both of near equal magnitude and the largest on the trail. The downhill of each of them headed north will allow for some incredible speed. The harmless one is only intimidating because it has a built in "washboard" type effect that can be a little disconcerting at first, but at the base of it is a future road crossing that is currently inaccessible to traffic so once you get used to the "bounce" of going over 30 speed bumps at 25 mph it's kind of cool. The other one is a rip-off, because you have to spend the whole downhill trying to cut your speed for the street crossing at the bottom, and although not a heavily traveled street, it is absolutely blind and the cars that do cruise it are hauling. Well.......I got a little confused, as us old people happen to do from time to time, and was clipping down the hill (25.6mph) when all of a sudden I became aware of the stop sign some 70 feet ahead, the next realization was that I wasn't on washboard - this is definitely not good. The sum of the equation was that I was on the un-harmless decent and headed for cross traffic. I immediately began some wide arcing slaloms to try and kill some of the speed but there just wasn't enough time left, as I got to the base of the hill I cut the hardest left turn I could muster which left me facing oncoming traffic, possibly out a bit too far into the lane, but would have at least afforded them the opportunity to go around me and not mess up their windshield with my entrails. Fortunately, there was no eastbound traffic and I caught a look over my shoulder and saw the westbound was clear also so I cut across the roadway. Unfortunately I was well past the trail at this point and certainly didn't want to stay on the roadway and wound up jetting across the grass at about 17mph for the next 200 feet. Ultimately once I slowed down to sub 10 I ended with my typical face plant. Needless to say, Napalm was still coming down the hill in the "correct" form, wondering what in the world I was doing, meanwhile calculating her net worth after cashing in the insurance policy that was now certain to be available to her. But alas, no pay out. Yours truly lives to run again, albeit with a slightly bloodied knee that believes it will never be allowed to heal and a swollen hip that has now taken it's third impact in as many weeks as well. Time for a Jazzy Scooter maybe? JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #73
Code Monkey

Jon B., You are a maniac!!! Watch out for yourself. Oh by the way can I have your 80mm wheels and bearings once you center punch a car. I think it would be to sad for Napalm to see them every day. Besides she will be surfing in Hawaii.

I had something similar happen and in my case I was probaby going around thirty five mph. I had no place to go but into seventy mph traffic and my stopping distance was maybe thirty feet so I sat down. Fortunately those were in the days when I was wearing my self made butt gear so even though I went home with my skin showing it wasn't bleeding. I now am skating in areas either where no motorized traffic is allowed or near my office where no one is at the wee early hours or the midnight hour.

Hey how do you like skating on 5x80s? That is what I skate on and after doing that for awhile I have gotten on the 100s and without question for me I love the 5x80 setup. Not only my feet can tell a difference but ankles, legs, and lower back. Of course I am no where near the shape you guys and gals are in but I'm working on it.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #74
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Hey how do you like skating on 5x80s? That is what I skate on and after doing that for awhile I have gotten on the 100s and without question for me I love the 5x80 setup. Not only my feet can tell a difference but ankles, legs, and lower back. Of course I am no where near the shape you guys and gals are in but I'm working on it.
I only wish I could avoid skating on trails crossed by traffic. I definitely need work on my downhill stopping skills. I LOVE the 5x80's, I have never gotten such even wear out of my wheels on any other set-up, and the wheels never feel like cement, if they ain't rolling it's because I'm not putting out the effort. On the flats I don't think I care much one way or the other, but with the hill climbing, testimony of friends and associates will tell you I eat hills faster on 5x80 than any other yet tried configuration. The problem now is that Napalm wants her 5x80 rails back because she can't keep up with me. I'm going to have to go back to 88's for a little spell and let her try the 5x80's again, and if it turns out that she actually feels better in them I'll have to buy another set of frames. I'm still counting on you being in the A2A with me, Napalm is adamant about only doing 38 and I'd hate to have to go it alone for the other 49 miles. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #75
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
I'll have to buy another set of frames.
I have a set of 5x84s that I can send your way. They are just taking up valuable utility room space (not my words).
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #76
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
I only wish I could avoid skating on trails crossed by traffic.
My way of doing that is simple: become one with the traffic.

"Share the road--MY TURN"

Seriously, the only place the cars seem to be looking these days is straight ahead. Coming out from a trail or path is always a surprize to them. Surprized drivers don't stop.

Saturday 8/12: Skated 5 1/2 hours hilly rural roads, HR 145, GPS recorded 4 1/2 hrs and 58 miles. First time I managed to "escape" from my development.
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #77
Code Monkey

I can't compare to other frames that are 5x80 but I use the Mogema crosstrainer 5x80 frame. Yesterday I went out for a late night skate with my new training partner and she has a speedometer on her bike and we did twenty miles on concrete. It isn't smooth concrete but it is very nice. The point is I can do it and this morning I did my usual ten without any problem. Now I hurt a little because when I chase the bike I skate a lot faster but I have no foot problems or ankle problems. I was told that the Mogema crosstrainer frame is very good if not the best at absorbing road shock which is very fatiguing (something to consider since you are going to insanely skate 87 miles). Check with my bud I think he has the best price. Bearings... get the best you have a long way to go!!! I drove 90 miles the other day in my Grand Marquis and that wasn't easy. 87 miles!!! And I think I am kickass because I can go out and skate twenty, to you guys that's butter. Next year what I want to talk to you about is going to Idaho and skating that trail. The thing I don't like about the A2A is you skate with car traffic. Don't forget I'm old.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #78
NightWind

[QUOTE=speedysktr;294]Hi Nightwind, are you new? Some people have changed their names since the reboot. You know who you are, moto !
Indoor practice is indoor speed practice. Check around at your local rinks and see if they have a speed team and what the practice times are and how open they are. Sometimes they have beginner speed practices. Regular speed practices can be a little intense and intimidating sometimes.

Hi, speedysktr! Thank you for your advice!))
Yes, I am new here and I really like this forum and I think I can learn really useful things here! And I am a beginner in roller skating, though I practised figure skating on ice quite a few years ago (but nothing in th way of speed there, as you can imagine!!!).
Unfortunately, we can't practice with our speed teams in Moscow (they are a pretty close community!) So we just ride the streets!
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #79
NightWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Gnoll View Post

Saturday 8/12: Skated 5 1/2 hours hilly rural roads, HR 145, GPS recorded 4 1/2 hrs and 58 miles. First time I managed to "escape" from my development.

Hi, Dev!))

I was just wondering how can you do that on rural roads!
Are they good enough to skate? We have no roads to speak of in rural ares, so we have to go to the city to practise! And not all cities have good roads either!!!
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #80
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWind View Post

I was just wondering how can you do that on rural roads!
Are they good enough to skate? We have no roads to speak of in rural ares, so we have to go to the city to practise! And not all cities have good roads either!!!
Well, there is that window between when the chip-seal wears out enough to skate and when the gatorback gets bad that allows some good distance.
Also, if the road goes downhill enough, you can skate over even fresh chip-seal.

Lots of gravel, dirt, and horse by-product ends up in the road, so you always need to stay on your toes.

But down my way "rural" means horse farms, marinas/dockage and bayfront mansions. These folks tend to get their roads repaved before the gator starts loosing scales. The "new pavement fairy" has visited about 15 miles of that route this year, including one very steep downhill. It would be very sweet except it heads into an immediate climb that seems even steeper.

Dev
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote