S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old April 11th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #1
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

Default Kathy I Need Your Help

Hello Kathy! My friend PIXIE SK8R has been trying to log on here and it won't let her since she joined almost 24hrs ago! She is not a spamer! Friend of mine and a customer of DOC SK8! Anything you can do to get her on? Never heard of such a problem! Thank you much!

Tom
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #2
Drella
alive with pleasure

Welcome to my nightmare
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

We don't validate new users in this forum immediately or automatically because in the past we had a huge problem with spambots. At least 9 out of 10 new forum registrants are spambots and sometimes it's as bad as 20 to 1. Because we could not keep them out any other way, we instituted a new policy of asking more questions before we validate new users. Nobody gets in now until they reply to a personal message I send them. Once I'm convinced they really want to talk about skating, and are not a spammer, I validate their forum user account.

Only two or three people have been annoyed by this extra step and the bit of extra time it takes. Most new registrants appreciate the fact that we are trying to keep out spammers, and at least half of them comment on it. Some of our long-time forum friends will remember some of the awful stuff that got posted in here from time to time. I mean *really* awful. It takes a fair amount of my time every day to do the extra validating, and exchange email with all the new registrants. But I think it's a worthwhile effort because it has completely blocked spammers from making it in.

- Kathie

PS: FLOOR GUARD, your Pixie Skater friend is in now. I validated her account as soon as I received her "I know FLOOR GUARD and DocSK8" message LOL (that's what I call a great reference!)
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #4
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
We don't validate new users in this forum immediately or automatically because in the past we had a huge problem with spambots. At least 9 out of 10 new forum registrants are spambots and sometimes it's as bad as 20 to 1. Because we could not keep them out any other way, we instituted a new policy of asking more questions before we validate new users. Nobody gets in now until they reply to a personal message I send them. Once I'm convinced they really want to talk about skating, and are not a spammer, I validate their forum user account.

Only two or three people have been annoyed by this extra step and the bit of extra time it takes. Most new registrants appreciate the fact that we are trying to keep out spammers, and at least half of them comment on it. Some of our long-time forum friends will remember some of the awful stuff that got posted in here from time to time. I mean *really* awful. It takes a fair amount of my time every day to do the extra validating, and exchange email with all the new registrants. But I think it's a worthwhile effort because it has completely blocked spammers from making it in.

- Kathie

PS: FLOOR GUARD, your Pixie Skater friend is in now. I validated her account as soon as I received her "I know FLOOR GUARD and DocSK8" message LOL (that's what I call a great reference!)

Yeah thanks Kath! I didn't have that problem when I joined so it must have happened after that! I thought after the site problem the other day......this may have had something to do with it! Thanks alot! Glad to have her on!
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Tremor
I tastes like chicken!

I appreciate ALL your efforts to make this community GREAT!
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Lammert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
It takes a fair amount of my time every day to do the extra validating, and exchange email with all the new registrants.
That's a pitty. I guess you can't use image verification to do most of the work for you automatically? You must have seen the thread about it overhere haven't you?
Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #7
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I do have most of those things activated (double opt in, moderate new members, ban spam email addresses, and image verification) but sometimes very clever spammers have still made it past all of that. Even though it takes a bit of time, I really don't mind sending the "please introduce yourself" messages, because it helps me get to know the people joining the forum and also because it assures no spammers will be members of our forum. I really don't want them as members even if they cannot post! Anyway thanks for posting that vBulletin forum discussion. I do see a couple of interesting new ideas in there.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; April 22nd, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote