S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:41 AM   #1
sk82day

Default Lets discuss some financial decisions of USARS.

I have a question, How much money did USARS give to World Team members in 2007? Does anyone know if any money was given?

Last edited by sk82day; December 27th, 2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Think its a better title for the thread.
sk82day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
sk82day

Default Lets discuss some financial decisions of USARS.

First I would say I find some of the numbers I have read kind of disturbing, not really any money to spend on promotion of Roller Sports, but USARS spent $505,000 on travel expenses in 2007. Thats almost $10,000 a week, granted I can see a large amount, but over half a million dollars? How bout this one:

World and Iternational Skating Events Training and Competition:
$422,660
How much of that did our World Teams get?

and another:

Direct expenses incurred for the benefit of the members of the confederation:
$324,278
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM   #3
H8USARS

Now you know why no one ever wants to give up a Board seat.
H8USARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #4
CANative64

Wow.... thanks for posting that information.

Can I ask where you read that? Is it available on the web?

A couple of more questions; Do the World team members actually get paid a stipend? Or is it that they just get all of their expenses paid for international meets? Are the expenses of the families of World team members paid as well [airfare, lodging, food, etc.] ?

Peace
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM   #5
H8USARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative64 View Post
Wow.... thanks for posting that information.

Can I ask where you read that? Is it available on the web?

A couple of more questions; Do the World team members actually get paid a stipend? Or is it that they just get all of their expenses paid for international meets? Are the expenses of the families of World team members paid as well [airfare, lodging, food, etc.] ?

Peace
Actually the world team members and their families get nothing from USARS. At least this was what was told at Nationals when they all had to sell raffle tickets to fund raise for themselves.

The numbers that were posted above, I believe reflect travel for officials only.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM   #6
CANative64

Wow...

Seriously? If that is true, I'm blown away.

I could be wrong here [and always feel free to correct me if I am]... But I thought that [at least way back when I skated] that the World team members and their coaches had their travel [accommodation and food] expenses paid for major international competitions. Not the families.... but the skaters and coaches.

It seems really strange that a sporting federation would not take care of it's athletes who are representing their country.

Selling raffle tickets seems so.... 3rd grade cub scouts bake sale....
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM   #7
H8USARS

Quote:
Wow...

Seriously? If that is true, I'm blown away.

I could be wrong here [and always feel free to correct me if I am]... But I thought that [at least way back when I skated] that the World team members and their coaches had their travel [accommodation and food] expenses paid for major international competitions. Not the families.... but the skaters and coaches.

It seems really strange that a sporting federation would not take care of it's athletes who are representing their country.

Selling raffle tickets seems so.... 3rd grade cub scouts bake sale....
You are correct, the travel for world team members used to be taken care of by USARS.

Makes you wonder what those big travel expense numbers posted above include. Sure would be nice to see some detail.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM   #8
CANative64

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8USARS View Post
You are correct, the travel for world team members used to be taken care of by USARS.

Makes you wonder what those big travel expense numbers posted above include. Sure would be nice to see some detail.
Nice indeed...

As I mentioned in the introduction thread at the top of the artistic category page, I work for USAG [the governing body for the sport of gymnastics here in the USA still], and they have certain guidelines whereby they are required to post multiple reports on expenditures.

We have 9 regions that have to report expenditures quarterly. Each quarterly report is included in one of our magazines as an addendum to the technical reports that each regional board of directors submits. The national office has to make records available [as a report] to whomever asks for them annually. They used to produce an annual report, but they stopped because it was costly and not necessary to produce en mass as hard copy. They make it available to us as hardcopy if we request it in that format, of course we have to pay for it if we want it printed out and presented in a binder, etc. But it's free to us online.

Perhaps the national office for Artistic Roller Skating could do such a thing?

Thanks for telling us what the numbers above reflect. Are you able to tell us where you obtained the information?

Peace
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM   #9
sk82day

Some numbers do not give a detailed list of expenses, but they do give a good idea as to what the expenses are for. Below is an average of the past 3 years, '07,'06,'05, since it is tough to just put out numbers of 1 year, but to average a few makes it a little more fair.

USARS average income $1,573,000
USARS average expenses $1,525,000

Now the interesting thing is the management of program services cost an average of $509,000. Now I will also add the average travel expenses to that, the average travel expense, $391,000 so travel and management comes to $900,000. Kind of explains why there is no money for the members doesnt it? When around 60% of expenses go to management and travel.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM   #10
CANative64

Sorry for repeating myself here. But WHERE are these numbers coming from? Are they reported on in some sort of annual report or document? Are they available online? Are they hearsay? Are others able to view them?

Peace
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM   #11
sk82day

Quote:
Perhaps the national office for Artistic Roller Skating could do such a thing?

Thanks for telling us what the numbers above reflect. Are you able to tell us where you obtained the information?

I think we have been told in the past that numbers are available if you go in person to Lincoln and ask for them.
As far as the numbers I am quoting, I will not say where I received them from yet since I am still going through the information I have, but they are accurate.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM   #12
sk82day

Quote:
Sorry for repeating myself here. But WHERE are these numbers coming from? Are they reported on in some sort of annual report or document? Are they available online? Are they hearsay? Are others able to view them?

Peace
Sorry Can we must be posting at the same time.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #13
CANative64

Lol... yeah posting at the same time can result in overlapping... sorry about that...hehehe.

Thanks for the explanation regarding the info.

THIS kind of discussion is/was what I was talking about in the thread that I wrote regarding the topics for discussion, etc. for the future of the sport; informative, productive dialogue that is analytical [or somewhat analytical] in nature.... Numbers can be a part of it all, but just talking amongst ourselves can produce questions and answers that provide a lot of insight [and hopefully] understanding as it pertains to the current state of the sport, etc... good stuff.

Thanks very much for posting this thread. Looking forward to hearing more from you on this subject.

Peace
[PS, CANative64 = California Native 1964]
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM   #14
H8USARS

Quote:
Nice indeed...

As I mentioned in the introduction thread at the top of the artistic category page, I work for USAG [the governing body for the sport of gymnastics here in the USA still], and they have certain guidelines whereby they are required to post multiple reports on expenditures.
You mean they run like a responsible and professional organization.

If the numbers sk82day is posting are accurate, it really speaks to some people living high off the sport. If I'm wrong I welcome any USARS reps to post a PDF detailing the expenses. I'll be the first to apologize if my hunch is wrong.

I've heard people here post we all need to step up and lend a hand to the sport. I find that hard to do until I feel I trust the leadership. I can't do that with all the monetary data hidden from view.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #15
CANative64

Quote:
You mean they run like a responsible and professional organization.

If the numbers sk82day is posting are accurate, it really speaks to some people living high off the sport. If I'm wrong I welcome any USARS reps to post a PDF detailing the expenses. I'll be the first to apologize if my hunch is wrong.

I've heard people here post we all need to step up and lend a hand to the sport. I find that hard to do until I feel I trust the leadership. I can't do that with all the monetary data hidden from view.
... and just so everyone here understands my participation within this thread;

The actual numbers are not important to me [personally, as I am no longer an active participant in the sport] ... as you can read in my contributions. I am more interested in the process of how things work or don't work.

Whether or not the information that is being given to us is correct of not, my responses will continue to whomever chimes into the dialogue.

If I am [or we are all] being misinformed publicly about specifics [financial or otherwise] then it is up to those who have the accurate information to inform the board of what the accurate information is. To not do so is to do a disservice to all parties concerned with the betterment of the sport.

Until someone or many people come forth with information about any aspects of the sport that is contrary to what we are being told, then we have to go by the information that we are given... that does not mean that we should not ask about the origin of the information and it's accuracy.

Peace
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM   #16
H8USARS

I'd like to know what our executive director has done during the 2005 to 2007 time period to merit a 41% increase in compensation.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM   #17
sk82day

Quote:
I'd like to know what our executive director has done during the 2005 to 2007 time period to merit a 41% increase in compensation.
I do agree, except that figure is closer to 65%. And if you go back to 04 its 97% increase.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM   #18
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

What type of a corp. is the USARS? The only way that they can keep detailed figures confidential, is to be a private corp. All others must give a detailed report as to where the money goes. If it is a private corp., who owns it?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:16 AM   #19
sk82day

I agree about having discussions on subjects, discussons have occured. Members know there is a problem, some have even commented on it (wink wink nudge nudge), many ideas have come from members over the years, some good some not, but that does not matter, the point is the sport is at a place where members do not know what to do. We hear that members should not be negative, that being negative is not helping. I have found that the definition of negative on this and other forums, is questioning the ability of the Governing Body to do what needs to be done. Now its a crossroads, some say instead of being negative, we should be supporting and giving ideas to the Governing Body, but how can people give ideas to people that have (in opinion) been unable to grow the sport for years. Roller Sports cannot afford to continue much longer waiting for ideas to come about. A sport cannot grow if there is no discussion or PLAN to build it, and this is not meaning members, the members are out here talking about it, its the Board that runs it that needs to be making these plans. IMO I do not think the current Board is capable of building this sport with its current plan (which seems to be some deep guarded secret that is not open for members to see and help with), so I can sit here and give ideas all day long but when I do not think the current NGB can follow through with ideas presented? So now we are at another situation, how to change. Most people know already that there are 13 members of the Board, I think I am correct when I say that 6 of these members are voted on by different members, but its only certain members who get to vote, (if they receive a ballot). If not, the eligible voters must contact the office to request one. What I find disheartning the most is there is like a 2 week period that eligble voters can request a ballot and that time is usually during nationals, when you are not at home to even see if the ballot came.
As CANative said in the essay thread, some topics to discuss, but many are like myself where do you start.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:22 AM   #20
sk82day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
What type of a corp. is the USARS? The only way that they can keep detailed figures confidential, is to be a private corp. All others must give a detailed report as to where the money goes. If it is a private corp., who owns it?
It is not a corp. It is a non-profit org, as it has always been. Thats why I have always wondered why this org was able to keep information confidential for so many years, well maybe decades, let me change that to not easily viewed. Others probally can attest to this, financial reports have not been easy to see for a long time.