S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 14th, 2018, 12:13 PM   #1
MissyPatch

Default Just wondering really....how long and how many

How long have you been skating for and how many pairs of skates do you own?

I've been rollerskating on and off for a year or so.... more off than on.... I got serious about it in July 2018.... I own 2.5 skates.... (2 pairs of skates and a pair of boots. Lol)
MissyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 12:30 PM   #2
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Well.

I started in 78.Stopped in 84/5.
Dabbled a bit in the early 90s .
Came back for 6months in 99.
Came back again in 2010 with the whole family.And haven't stopped.Skate at least twice a week.

And I have 6 pairs of skates that I try to rotate every 3 months.
More than 20 sets of plates.
And more wheels than you could poke a stick at.
I have a serious problem. I know.
Old August 14th, 2018, 01:18 PM   #3
fierocious1

I skated a lot when I was in my teens. Then family stopped my skating. I restarted about 8 years ago. When a teen, didn't have any money to buy the "good stuff", now older and a technician, I usually build most of what I want. I have 3 pair but usually only skate one. I have crates of old skates stashed away and will be giving them away a little at a time. Gave away 4 pairs last month. Trying to bring kids into skating. WE have to give back to keep skating going. Sure seems like a lot of rinks are closing all over the US
Old August 14th, 2018, 03:47 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Started in '74 at age 9. Skated faithfully until my early 20's. Started speed skating (quads) in '80 and that lasted for 5 years.

I did try inline speed skates when they first became available in the late 90's and hated them. They were severely uncomfortable with the technology at the time.

I took a decade off from skating and came back to it when I met my wife at age 37. We started quad session skating.

I once again tried inline speed skating shortly after and competed locally and regionally indoors from 2005-2007 and was a part of the first Team Skatelog that competed at the 24 Roller in Montreal in July of 2007. I kept skating until early 2008, when travel for work really put a kink in skating.

Took another 6 years off, getting into track riding and road racing on Japanese and Italian sportbikes, until a bad high-side left me with a ton of pulled muscles and tendons and a fractured sacrum. At age 49, this made me really think about my mortality, so I retired from racing on 2014 and retired from road racing instruction in 2016.

To help with my accident recovery, I found skating once again in late 2014. I didn't have any intention of getting back into competition, but I got back into it in the fall of 2015 and have been training and competing ever since.

I had previously qualified for nationals several times, but never went, because I felt I wasn't competitive enough to justify the expense. Well, this year, I finally went and ended up placing 6th overall of 14 skaters, grabbing a bronze medal in the 500m distance.

I still quad skate on occasion, but not regularly. My regular skating is mostly inline short track and outdoor on local rail trails. I compete in the mid-Atlantic states, since the northeast no longer has competitions. I also do the Eastern Seaboard Series that takes place in Trexlertown, PA. I have skated a few of the quad races that they have in the ESS, but stopped this year, because I also race the pro and advanced races. Skating the quads didn't allow me enough rest between the two inline distances.

It's fun and keeps me in relatively decent shape, along with cycling the same local rail trails.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 04:23 PM   #5
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Well.

I started in 78.Stopped in 84/5.
Dabbled a bit in the early 90s .
Came back for 6months in 99.
Came back again in 2010 with the whole family.And haven't stopped.Skate at least twice a week.

And I have 6 pairs of skates that I try to rotate every 3 months.
More than 20 sets of plates.
And more wheels than you could poke a stick at.
I have a serious problem. I know.
My family was how I got back into it too......

Lol serious problem......

Twice a week?! - lucky you!
Old August 14th, 2018, 04:25 PM   #6
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I skated a lot when I was in my teens. Then family stopped my skating. I restarted about 8 years ago. When a teen, didn't have any money to buy the "good stuff", now older and a technician, I usually build most of what I want. I have 3 pair but usually only skate one. I have crates of old skates stashed away and will be giving them away a little at a time. Gave away 4 pairs last month. Trying to bring kids into skating. WE have to give back to keep skating going. Sure seems like a lot of rinks are closing all over the US
Sorry to hear about all the rinks closing there...... I hope that doesn't happen here....

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job keeping it going there! Nice.
Old August 14th, 2018, 04:28 PM   #7
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Started in '74 at age 9. Skated faithfully until my early 20's. Started speed skating (quads) in '80 and that lasted for 5 years.

I did try inline speed skates when they first became available in the late 90's and hated them. They were severely uncomfortable with the technology at the time.

I took a decade off from skating and came back to it when I met my wife at age 37. We started quad session skating.

I once again tried inline speed skating shortly after and competed locally and regionally indoors from 2005-2007 and was a part of the first Team Skatelog that competed at the 24 Roller in Montreal in July of 2007. I kept skating until early 2008, when travel for work really put a kink in skating.

Took another 6 years off, getting into track riding and road racing on Japanese and Italian sportbikes, until a bad high-side left me with a ton of pulled muscles and tendons and a fractured sacrum. At age 49, this made me really think about my mortality, so I retired from racing on 2014 and retired from road racing instruction in 2016.

To help with my accident recovery, I found skating once again in late 2014. I didn't have any intention of getting back into competition, but I got back into it in the fall of 2015 and have been training and competing ever since.

I had previously qualified for nationals several times, but never went, because I felt I wasn't competitive enough to justify the expense. Well, this year, I finally went and ended up placing 6th overall of 14 skaters, grabbing a bronze medal in the 500m distance.

I still quad skate on occasion, but not regularly. My regular skating is mostly inline short track and outdoor on local rail trails. I compete in the mid-Atlantic states, since the northeast no longer has competitions. I also do the Eastern Seaboard Series that takes place in Trexlertown, PA. I have skated a few of the quad races that they have in the ESS, but stopped this year, because I also race the pro and advanced races. Skating the quads didn't allow me enough rest between the two inline distances.

It's fun and keeps me in relatively decent shape, along with cycling the same local rail trails.
That's a cool story.....
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:26 PM   #8
HeBeGB

I have stupid amounts of skates and skate gear, but I end up using two sets regularly. I keep trying new theories and some plain stupidity on skates
(High heels on skates race, clogs on skates, One quad one inline race, etc)
Only ever been a session skater and did some Derby Reffing and playing.
Old August 15th, 2018, 12:40 AM   #9
leshomes

Default Outdoor to Indoor

Started skating in 1976 (12) on suburban streets outdoors, down steep driveways and around schools on weekends playing ďtiggyĒ.
As a teen delivered papers on Skates at night.
Stopped skating at 16 till 2008 when I started again and took the family to the rink.
Now itís just me (hopefully my wife will get back on them).
I have lots of bits and pieces, plates wheels etc.
Moved from a Super-X to a Wallaby then Roo then onto a Boen.
Now Iím just skating the one skate.
Bont boots, HeBeGb plate, wheels, Scottyís urethane and cushions.
Donít skate my others much any more. Having too much fun on Geoffís creations.
Old August 15th, 2018, 10:57 AM   #10
Oicusk82huh

Started skating at 3 years old. Fell in love. Never stopped. Ever. That was 40 years ago. Skating is the love of my life. I'm trying to get it out of my system before I'm old, so I'll have never wasted one single minute. I go between 3-6 days a week.

2 pairs of Riedell quads (one of them is being shipped this week)
1 pair of Seba High Light inlines
1 pair of Freelines
1 pair of Jackson figure ice skates
1 pair of Bauer hockey ice skates

Edit: The best part about being a grown up is that you can schedule your entire existence around skating.

Last edited by Oicusk82huh; August 15th, 2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: more
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 11:01 AM   #11
CNQuadSkater

I started serious three years ago and have been crazy, almost 4 times a week. I have two pairs of quad roller skates, one pair is speed skating shoes, one pair is derby shoes.
CNQuadSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 02:55 PM   #12
MissyPatch

That's a lot of skating....... I'm jealous! Lol.......
Old August 15th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #13
hoohoorjoo

Smile On, then off....then on again

Some of my earliest memories are of skating. I was there EVERY weekend as far back as I can recall. My dad always took us skating, it's just what we did(he worked at a rink as a kid). I continued on through my late teens, worked at the rink myself for 3 yrs, headed our speed team for a couple yrs, even went to SE regionals in Greensboro SC back in 92 or 93(cant recall for sure). Then I went to college, started partying and left skating behind for over 20 yrs. Fast-forward to 2016.....my older daughter asked for a pair of skates for Christmas. I bought cheap Riedells, in case it was just a phase. It wasnt, so 3 months later, i bought her 195 boots, green Powertrac plates and 98A Zombies. She begs to go every weekend, though things get in the way on occasion.
I now own 5 pairs of skates, she owns 3. My wife never skated and I can't convince her to try. She says she is too old, whatever that means. It is fantastic exercise and I think it keeps me young, because it takes me back to when I actually was. Now, I think I will skate until I cant keep my balance anymore.
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 09:56 PM   #14
MissyPatch

That's awesome....... sometimes I feel too old too.....lots of young ones at the rink........

I skated heaps as kid too...... loved it.......
Old August 15th, 2018, 10:22 PM   #15
Derrick

Default Since maybe 1969 donít remember not skating

3 pairs, nothing fancy.

There were times when I skated less but never really quit altogether. There was a time before I was driving age that the Ice rink was within walking distance but I still rolled when I could. Now itís just twice a week. But I try to do the 4 or 5 hour sessions.

BTW I still try to learn new stuff every session. Iím working on toes and Jam and Shuffle and new jumps and spins and more 3 turns. Always pushing those edges. Iíll never be the best but I never quit trying. ITíS SO FUN!
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:33 AM   #16
MissyPatch

Hahaha nice that you are still learning stuff....... I'm learning how to stop.....the T-stop........ I would like this to be second nature!
Old August 16th, 2018, 04:57 AM   #17
larryoracing

Smile Excellent post Missy..lol!

Missy I hope you keep up the good work in your skating endeavor.
Cinderella would be proud...lol!

When I was younger I probably skated for about 12 years. Quit when I was 25 and went to college...lol!

40 years later after retiring I started skating two years ago. I go almost everyday.

I probably have about 7 pairs of the most expensive skates money can buy.

I just bought a pair of boots that are only one of two pairs made in the whole world to my special order. They really didn't want to make them, but I wanted to try them. I will probably get them in a couple weeks.

I skate almost every day...3-4 hours per day.

Recently went to a National competition and got first..lol!

Sincerely,

Larry O and good luck to you....missy....
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 05:50 AM   #18
MissyPatch

Lol thanks, you too.
Old August 16th, 2018, 05:17 PM   #19
Pingar

Not sure exactly when I started. But itís probably around 25 Years or so. Maybe more. Currently 4 pairs. I want another even tho I only use my new ones I got a few years ago. They make my old ones not fun. Need another pair. I want to try a different Snyder plate. Probably going to let a pair or two go soon here. To pay for another pair.
Pingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #20
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
... green PowerTrac plates....
Green PowerTracs? Was that a custom order, or did you get some silver ones anodised yourself?
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote