S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:36 AM   #21
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionr26 View Post
Guess dont need that plate guess I need to speed more than 109.00 to get a decent plate?

Basically speaking..

I think BARE min is 185.. for a GOOD plate..*laser*.. 225 or more for a reactor.. and 200-1000 for a Roll Line....
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:22 AM   #22
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Basically speaking..

I think BARE min is 185.. for a GOOD plate..*laser*.. 225 or more for a reactor.. and 200-1000 for a Roll Line....
I seem to remember you extolling the virtues of XK-4s, at least in terms of bang-for-buck value. Now that mine are FIXED, they're great. But the right plate came with a defective front kingpin hanger, and after a few months' worth of open skating sessions, I had to send it in for repairs. I was lucky that the manager at my local rink caught the problem before the hanger was totally stripped. One of my skaters in DC had the same problem (same hanger on the same skate), and she didn't find out till her truck fell out in the middle of a jam. She fell small and didn't get injured, but it could have been much, much worse.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:26 AM   #23
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Xk4.. Serviceable.. but too heavy.

I call good..

lightweight, strong, good action

But the XK-4 .. Two out of three.. Aint bad.....
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM   #24
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Xk4.. Serviceable.. but too heavy.

I call good..

lightweight, strong, good action

But the XK-4 .. Two out of three.. Aint bad.....
My XK-4s are lighter than my Variants, and honestly, I don't really notice plate weight anyway (duh). The only real problem I have with any of my ANCRES is the fact that the Magnums are so wide, and that's *my* problem (i.e., because my left foot is messed up), and it may very well resolve itself when I get around to replacing the bushing-shaped rocks that came with the plates.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM   #25
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimahdarling View Post
I will be interested to see what the new Triton is all about; although I have a feeling it will be derby "hype", Riedell has cashed in very well on the derby craze without really ante-ing up a really amazing "derby" product. I have a feeling it will be a glorified Dynapro plate.
It actually looks like a simplified Dynapro. It doesn't even have a set screw for the toe stops.

I know the Reactor had a lot more problems than just the cushions when they first came out. I think now they have gotten them all ironed out, but I had heard a lot of complaints about the first run of them.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM   #26
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Eddie Fresh View Post
It actually looks like a simplified Dynapro. It doesn't even have a set screw for the toe stops.

I know the Reactor had a lot more problems than just the cushions when they first came out. I think now they have gotten them all ironed out, but I had heard a lot of complaints about the first run of them.
I've heard a lot of complaints about the cushions, and a few people have had issues with the toe stop threads as well.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM   #27
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayglodivine View Post
I've heard a lot of complaints about the cushions, and a few people have had issues with the toe stop threads as well.
Yeah, evidently that piece was prone to breaking off... a had a friend that had to wait to get a new plate for a while. They were concentrating production on smaller sizes (for derby?) and he takes a 12. I am pretty sure he has had no problems with the replacement Reactor, though.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #28
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Out of the small number of skaters we have on our league using the Dynapros, I've already switched out cushions on 2 sets and doing two more sets for people this week. Those cushions SUCK. And these are all people that have had them a few months or less so the cushions should NOT be worn out or splitting apart.

And, we also had a girl break a truck just like that one in the picture.

One of our girls using those plates is thinking about switching back to XK4s... she says the Dynapros "feel" heavier. If anyone has both of those plates and could weigh them for comparison, I'd love to know how they actually compare.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #29
prozoo

Quote:
THE only negative issues I have heard about the Reactor.. are the cushions..

PERSONALLY.. we have 20 skaters that are currently skating the reactors.. and have not had ONE complaint.. issue.. break.. with anyone. They have all loved them. I think with time.. we will only see reactor.. and roll line products with most skaters....

I personally would skate a PROBE before Id skate a Dynapoop. ((I almost said Sunlice.. but then I puked a lil in my mouth..))
sunlice line very funny I am curious though...Since the reactors geometry is liken to Prolines how do the feel in comparison, response etc? I mean if you were able to tune them just right and find the right cushion combination one would think they'd perform about the same...Just wondering.
prozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #30
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozoo View Post
sunlice line very funny I am curious though...Since the reactors geometry is liken to Prolines how do the feel in comparison, response etc? I mean if you were able to tune them just right and find the right cushion combination one would think they'd perform about the same...Just wondering.
they are the same you can put proline cushions in a reactor... same geometry and all
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #31
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
Out of the small number of skaters we have on our league using the Dynapros, I've already switched out cushions on 2 sets and doing two more sets for people this week. Those cushions SUCK. And these are all people that have had them a few months or less so the cushions should NOT be worn out or splitting apart.

And, we also had a girl break a truck just like that one in the picture.

One of our girls using those plates is thinking about switching back to XK4s... she says the Dynapros "feel" heavier. If anyone has both of those plates and could weigh them for comparison, I'd love to know how they actually compare.
Sorry to hear, but welcome to the club. It never ends. the new cushions are no better, sorry to say.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #32
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

I will stay faraway from a Dynapoop and stick with Snyder for now.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #33
prozoo

Hey Holiday, love your Goldtop...Sorry for being off topic, just saying that's a nice LP.
prozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #34
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

I wouldn't skate a dynapoop even if it came with a 200HP motor. Well, maybe then, but no less than 200HP.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #35
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozoo View Post
Hey Holiday, love your Goldtop...Sorry for being off topic, just saying that's a nice LP.
Thank you
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #36
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
I wouldn't skate a dynapoop even if it came with a 200HP motor. Well, maybe then, but no less than 200HP.
ok now your asking to fall... a plate that breaks easly and now you want 200hp on it?? for some reason i think youll get up to speed and then have the worst fall ever
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #37
Jinx

Sorry to hyjack but i was curious since there was talk about the xk4's.. are they pretty heavy plate in general? I've been wondering when considering what plate to put on my next build.. (was leaning towards a pro-line driver, or possibly a navigator) but currently am on an XK4 with some 'classics' trucks.. Was just wondering if i'd notice a weight increase or decrease... Never did find out just how heavy an XK4 is...
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #38
Donnylutz

This thread is old, but I unfortunately didn't read it before getting my new skates. I bought the Riedell Legacy skates. I had been off quads for 12 years and wasn't smart enough to ask someone what kind of skates to get.

I quickly learned that the dynapro plate and the wheels/bearings are not good for freestyle, but will work well for figures.

I am switching to Roll Line as soon as I have the cash.

Today I'm switching to a set of my coaches Atlas plates, since my dynapro went poop on me....

Only had them for 2 months. Toe'd in for a double mapes and the toe stop just popped out of the plate. I don't know if its really the plates fault, being that they are not really meant for freestyle and I have beaten the crap out of them since I got them.............but I for sure will NEVER recommend dynapro to anyone doing freestyle.

Anyone recommend a roll line plate? Not sure which to get. I guess I'm an intermediate skater. I have most of my doubles and hope to get triple mapes and triple salchow, but probably won't get further than that.

Donnylutz.
Donnylutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #39
lharasim
Skate to get High

Default Madcow How you doin?

Last edited by lharasim; May 21st, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
lharasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #40
Armadillo

Default Truck WILL break when suspension is screwed up too tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
Went skating tonight with a friend he has Powerdyne Dynapro plates.
The only thing I can say about them is, I would never buy or recommend them to anyone.

He's had the plates about 7 months & has had some cushions split, that wasn't a big deal because I gave him 4 sets of new cushions I don't need.

Tonight he turn around backward & bit it good "hit his head on the floor" when he got up his skates didn't feel right.

When we looked closer at his skates this is what we found.

By madkaw

By madkaw
From these PICs it is obvious that the cause of the truck breaking had little to do with the truck. TOO MUCH FORCE was applied to the the truck because the suspension was cranked down WAY TOO TIGHT.
Just look at how little space there is between the truck lip and the retainer lip. On a sharp turn, assuming the cushion could even flex enough, the truck and retainer were probably banging into each other, and overstressing the truck platform.
Either those cushions have been CRUSHED TO DEATH and are now too short to work properly, or they were too short in the first place. If there is not enough urethane in the kingpin suspension stack of H/W then the suspension is not going to function properly, and some parts will receive excess stress. I suggest scrapping the retainers and just use washers instead. These skates will turn more freely with washers, and the trucks will not have to take as much punishment.

-Armadillo