S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #41
Salamanda

Looking at the picture there doesn't seem to be much kingpin to attach the nut to. Maybe the suspension was cranked down because it had to be because there wasn't enough kingpin. I noticed something similar on some dynapros belonging to a friend when I was swapping over her stock cushions to some SG ones.
Salamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #42
Sidewinder
UFO

For once I agree with Dillo. I think after working on both the stock PD cushions, then to rubber and putting them through a full break in and then to the Magic ones (they have little leprechauns in them), most are way too tight and there isn't enough kingpin to run way too loose and not lose either the pivot pin from the cup or snap something else.

Anyone who is on stock PD cushions should replace them immediately if not sooner in my opinion. 200+ need to be on yellow, ~160-200 on orange, less than that on red. It is worth the 20 dollars.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #43
Armadillo

DOcSk8 posted in a different thread about how urethane rubber does NOT really compress much. It just gets flexed and squirms around moving away from the pressure. When the cushions get totally surrounded by truck+lips and retainers+lips, and there is too little room left for them to squirm away from the pressure applied. This causes the forces to build up to higher levels than normal, and sooner or later, something is going to break.

Cushions need some BREATHING ROOM around them so that they can flex and deform properly. Too much containment of your cushions is BAD. This is why I no longer use retainers. Laser Skate Co. states that replacing retainers with washers frees up the action by about 20%. This means that it takes ~20% less force to reach the same degree of turn angle.
Freedom of Action!
-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; May 1st, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #44
Salamanda

Even with no retainers or washers I would have had difficulty getting the king pin nut back on. They are too damn short
Salamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #45
cass38a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
This causes the forces to build up to higher levels than normal, and sooner or later, something is going to break.

-Armadillo

This only applies to crappy skates. There is thousands of skaters using rock hard cushions cranked down real hard in all sorts of plates, plastic and metal (think of all those rentals out there) whos trucks never snap like that.

Swapping out the cushions may reduce the likelhood of it happening but if the plates were well made then this would not be necessary.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #46
40yearslater

I've been on a Dynapro for most of the past year. I was pretty scared at first after reading the numerous threads about the problems with it, so switched out the shiny trucks for the dull finish trucks (listed as being for nylon plates), and got some Sure-grip super cushions (barrel on boot side, cone on floor side - someone on the forum said it would fit, though I can't remember who... Docsk8 maybe...)
No problems.
Mine have a jump bar and retainers, too, and the fit of the cone/barrel combo works fine.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #47
Hot Lips

The thing that amazes me is that most of the Dynapros I've seen have had kingpins so long you could put someone's eye out with them, once everything's assembled.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #48
megogeek
Quads4Life™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnylutz View Post
This thread is old, but I unfortunately didn't read it before getting my new skates. I bought the Riedell Legacy skates. I had been off quads for 12 years and wasn't smart enough to ask someone what kind of skates to get.

I quickly learned that the dynapro plate and the wheels/bearings are not good for freestyle, but will work well for figures.

I am switching to Roll Line as soon as I have the cash.

Today I'm switching to a set of my coaches Atlas plates, since my dynapro went poop on me....

Only had them for 2 months. Toe'd in for a double mapes and the toe stop just popped out of the plate. I don't know if its really the plates fault, being that they are not really meant for freestyle and I have beaten the crap out of them since I got them.............but I for sure will NEVER recommend dynapro to anyone doing freestyle.

Anyone recommend a roll line plate? Not sure which to get. I guess I'm an intermediate skater. I have most of my doubles and hope to get triple mapes and triple salchow, but probably won't get further than that.

Donnylutz.
I guess nobody realizes this thread was started 3 years ago since they are replying to the original thread starter.

If you are doing jumps and acually leaving the ground I would go for the Roll Line Mistral (formerly the Navigator) not super light but it's solid like a tank. It's a little heavy for speed, I prefer the Driver (Mariner Cup now?) but for Freestyle a Mistral would be my choice.
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #49
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
The thing that amazes me is that most of the Dynapros I've seen have had kingpins so long you could put someone's eye out with them, once everything's assembled.
I ran into that Thursday. I girl got some brand new R3's. The left skate was turning inward very badly. I took a look at the skate and was horrified at how much kingpin was showing. I came to find out though, that the action was tight, but not hugely tight. The kingpin was just REALLY LONG. After getting the action loose did not fix the problem, I decided to remove both trucks and swap front to back just for kicks. That fixed the problem.

I have a whole bag full of Sure Grip candy, blues and yellows, and a bunch of skaters wanting to try them out. Thursday at Fountain Valley was just too lively and cool of a night to not just skate though, so the candy stayed in the car. I took care of that one girl just cause it needed to be handled immediately.

The pivot on the R3 does not make me happy, and there are several R3's that I will be putting softer cushions in. I don't think I am going to replace top and bottom cushions as I was planning to do. Most of the skaters are fairly mellow skaters that wanted out of rentals. I think I will just replace the bottom cushions and leave the harder, near the plate cushions in place. This should give them just a little better action and snap back without pushing any component too far. Longer kingpins will get a barrel, shorter kingpins will get a cone. I will also most likely flip the retainer backwards, so it is not cradling the cushion, but is more just acting as a washer. (to accommodate the fact the the urethane will not compress, but deform. This will provide it more room to deform without causing any undue stress.)
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #50
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default A quick correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by megogeek View Post
If you are doing jumps and acually leaving the ground I would go for the Roll Line Mistral (formerly the Navigator)

The Mistral never went away.. I had one 2 or 3 years before Roll Line blinged the Mistral up and called it the Navigator..

not super light but it's solid like a tank. It's a little heavy for speed, I prefer the Driver (Mariner Cup now?)

No the Driver was a Variant (No offset in the toe stop) with a click action upgrade..

but for Freestyle a Mistral would be my choice.
The really sad part of all this goofing around with the models is we lost the light weight Non click king pin....
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:54 AM   #51
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

The jump bar should not be there. That will take away alot of kingpin length.

also, you can buy longer bolt from any hardware store, it's nothing special. but I have mounted alot of dynapros and never had a problem with the kingpin length. As far as cushions go, they make the magic cushions or the hop up kit and these cushions are way better. The hop up kit comes with conical and barrell cushions and new cups. Or just put in some super cushions.

OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM   #52
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default A-Mazing!!

Powerdyne follows Sure Grips lead... Finally figured out someone else was making money replacing the OE crap on their plates....

Innovate and dominate...Emulate and stagnate...
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:29 AM   #53
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Powerdyne follows Sure Grips lead... Finally figured out someone else was making money replacing the OE crap on their plates....

Innovate and dominate...Emulate and stagnate...
LOL
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #54
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
I think the stubby kingpins are older. A lot of the Powerdynes I see now have kingpins so long you cannot use a skate wrench to loosen them, you need to use a crescent wrench to get it to the point where a skate wrench or socket wrench will work.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote