S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old May 12th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #1
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default 2008 GuideLines Updating- Thread Exhuming

Hi Kathie,
Others, Ragged, BleeckerSt_,

What would you call Uplifting or Bringing Forward an Old Thread just to cause mischief, potentially waste time, and embarrass fellow members.

I can't quite think of the name for this action. It isn't bumping which Kathie already has as a guideline.

I think we need a guideline for this since some people are doing it only to cause mischief and have good laughs at others rather than with others.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. In another type forum or a teenager forum where their time is unlimited and have little to do this might be OK yet I don't think it has value to most of our membership.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 12th, 2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
What would you call Uplifting or Bringing Forward an Old Thread just to cause mischief, potentially waste time, and embarrass fellow members
I think we will have to take this one on a case by case basis because bringing back old threads in general is no problem, and in fact it's usually better to bring back an old thread about a topic then to start a new one about the same topic. Of course if someone is only bring back a thread to "cause mischief or embarrass" that would not be good. Sometimes people bring back old threads to remind someone else of something they said earlier. Is that the kind of "bringing back a thread" issue you're thinking of?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #3
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default It was mischief

Hi Kathie,

No

It was fully intended and confirmed by the poster to be mischief. I was actually surprised they confirmed it. I guess they were bragging about their brain power.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote about older thread usefulness and being brought forward as value added. We have many threads like feet, or heart attacks, or blisters, that are just great and I would love each of them rejuvenated and refreshed by new blood from time to time.

Continuing on how the mischief game is played. Once the bait has been set they could then write something like "Got you Sucker" to the next poster and have a Great belly laugh with their buddies. They don't even have to write "Got you Sucker" and still laugh at others who don't get what they did. It is similar to that old phone game played by kids in calling and scaring old ladies that live alone.

If you wish this forum to go down that route I believe you will lose older skaters and it will continually degenerate to young teen / young adult play. Even some young people don't like this behavior so you might lose them as well.

So, a Guide Line idea without remembering the best name for this action.

Guide Line: Thread exhuming, bringing back a dead and closed thread, for the purpose of creating self humor at the expense of embarrassment to another member will result in loss of privileges.

Old May 13th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default 2008 Uplift of 2006 GuideLine #1

Hi All, Kathie,

"No quoting copyrighted material. Brief fair use excerpts are acceptable, but only if you are linking to the entire source. Excerpts should be no longer then two to four sentences. We respect the copyrights of other writers."

I think the wording should be revised to always say a link or an attempt at a link is the only way to protect the copywriter. The bullet title should be changed to read something like . .

o Copyright Quoting Practices

Yours in Skating, Law, Humans, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Dave, I really want the emphasis to be on not quoting copyrighted material, rather then on how it's OK to quote copyrighted material if you are careful how you do it. If people who only glance at our forum guidelines miss the fact that short excerpts are acceptable under fair use laws, I'd rather err on that side then have somebody only read the heading - "how to quote copyrighted material" - and think quoting copyrighted material is OK in general. One thing about me and my Web sites... I bend way over backwards to respect the copyrights of other Webmasters, writers, photographers, and graphic artists. I do that because it's the right thing to do, but the reason I am super-sensitive about that issue is probably because when I was the editor of About.com's inline skating Web site, using copyrighted material without permission was one of the things that could result in instant termination, and they were constantly reminding us not to violate copyright laws.

- Kathie
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default You are in Fair / Educational Use Territory ; Yet Tread carefully

Hi Kathie, All,

I appreciate your work experience, hey how about that Russian as an advertising gimic for About. I really liked him, and my wife really liked Jeeves who is gone.. I liked that cartoon guy when she would ask a question.

For now, we are kind of small and you are generally allowing a lot of free spirited stuff which includes many copyright/copywright violations. No one is going to challenge you since you are now so small.

BTW, Pictures and Cartoons that some post are also copywright protected.

I would like you to move up to the letter of the law or as close as possible to protect you. I know you don't like abusing, challenging members yet you do have to show some evidence that you are protecting copyrights.

Old May 17th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
I know you don't like abusing, challenging members yet you do have to show some evidence that you are protecting copyrights.
Dave, I am showing evidence I care about protecting copyrights, because its the topic of two of our forum guidelines. When I notice a copyright violation I address it behind the scenes. If anybody wants to report or complain about a copyright violation in the SkateLog Forum they can contact me via PM or send a message to kathiefry@skatelog.com.

-Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; May 19th, 2008 at 01:36 PM.