S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #421
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Hi Dennis: I knew Beth, Ellie, Tom Miller, Jane, Wayne, Bobbi Jo, Adolf, Linda and Sandy! All those folks were friends of mine! I skated from the Akron Club my last year of skating. I loved the Toledo Rollercade! I even remember the old Cleveland Rollercade. Great old rinks!! Our paths most certainly had to cross. Drop me a line@ skate-one@cox.net I can send a pic and you may remember me, if you filter thru the ages... I went to school at Bowling Green, became an educator, and moved to San Diego in 1979. I really do miss skating..... Terry
I know this quote is from pages and pages back in this post (2007???), but just curious about it because this post came up when I was random searching someone else's name and my jaw dropped when I saw all these names. I was pretty young then, so I don't remember all the names that you all do, but I knew Linda Mace as well, and her parents Nell and Art, and skated out of Akron Rollercade as well. I don't know if you would have known my older sister, Jean Sommers? She skated out of there as a speed skater when she was younger, and then skated under Linda Clemens out of Massilon (I think) when she got older and Medaled Nationals one year in pairs I think (can't remember year, but I have the award pic of her and her partner, Rusty).

I did artistic skating as well until I was about 7, but was also a gymnast and gave up skating to focus on one sport instead of two. (And probably cost my parents too much for both! lol) I kind of did the opposite of my sister and went from artistic to speed, while she went from speed to artistic. So she knows the artistic skaters' names much better than I.

One of these days I'll have to mention to her some of the names out here and see if she knows where anyone is.
sommemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #422
rdojack

Default Akron Rollercade

I skated there too, a long time ago. I'm Marianne Dojack and my partner was Jim Mosley. Art was the co-owner, along with Nell and Denver Mace. I knew Linda and Sandy well, sadly, the Maces and Linda are no longer with us.
rdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #423
Ancient1

Welcome Marianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdojack View Post
I skated there too, a long time ago. I'm Marianne Dojack and my partner was Jim Mosley. Art was the co-owner, along with Nell and Denver Mace. I knew Linda and Sandy well, sadly, the Maces and Linda are no longer with us.
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #424
kzarah

Well after 40 years I found my pairs partner or she found me. We found each other through face book. That was about 6 months ago. Both of us tend to have trouble sleeping at night. So we stay up all night talking on the phone for 5 or 6 hours at a time and we do this several days of the week.
it has been great. Never in a million years did I see this happening.
kzarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #425
rwsz

[QUOTE=kzarah;628834]Well after 40 years I found my pairs partner or she found me. We found each other through face book. That was about 6 months ago. Both of us tend to have trouble sleeping at night. So we stay up all night talking on the phone for 5 or 6 hours at a time and we do this several days of the week.
it has been great. Never in a million years did I see this happening.[/QUOT

good story, fb does have some good to it as i have connected with old friends on it also.
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:44 PM   #426
n863wl

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
Hi everyone. My next door neighbor here in New London, CT is Edgar Watrous. He was telling me about his skating days and we looked himself up together and found this forum. He would like to provide his contact info to anyone interested in getting in touch! Please respond to this message. Thanks!

Craig
Hi Craig.
The last time I saw Edgar was in 5th or possibly 6th grade in Bloomfield, CT when he left in mid term. I've been looking to contact him ever since. That was 1950 or so and I'm not a skater and have been in the Kansas City MO area for decades.

Thanks.
n863wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:18 AM   #427
Zafira

So I've been reading through this thread and actually know some skaters that were well known back in the 1980s. Mark Howard and Cindy Smith that used to skate together... Cindy Smith is now Cindy Shraeder and coaches out of Chester Skateland which is about 20 minutes south of Richmond. One of my skate buddies has been a long-time student of Cindy's doing dance previously and now figures. He wants me to skate out of Chester, but the floor is something besides wood and the two closest rinks to me have nice wood floors so I only visit Chester once in awhile.

Mark Howard is the new coach at Rollerdome in Richmond near the airport. I just took my first class with Mark last Saturday. Rollerdome is just getting their artistic program started. It's a nice rink, owned by 3 people and 2 of them are skaters.
I used to skate at Golden Skateworld which Mark's dad, Eddie Howard, owned. It closed sometime in the late 1990s. I took with Debbie Wright at Golden Skateworld back in the early 1990s before I stopped skating. She now is a coach down in Chester at the rink with Cindy. Debbie was one of Eddie Howard's students.
We're super lucky here to have these coaches even if two of the rinks are now gone.
Zafira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:28 AM   #428
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafira View Post
So I've been reading through this thread and actually know some skaters that were well known back in the 1980s. Mark Howard and Cindy Smith that used to skate together... Cindy Smith is now Cindy Shraeder and coaches out of Chester Skateland which is about 20 minutes south of Richmond. One of my skate buddies has been a long-time student of Cindy's doing dance previously and now figures. He wants me to skate out of Chester, but the floor is something besides wood and the two closest rinks to me have nice wood floors so I only visit Chester once in awhile.

Mark Howard is the new coach at Rollerdome in Richmond near the airport. I just took my first class with Mark last Saturday. Rollerdome is just getting their artistic program started. It's a nice rink, owned by 3 people and 2 of them are skaters.
I used to skate at Golden Skateworld which Mark's dad, Eddie Howard, owned. It closed sometime in the late 1990s. I took with Debbie Wright at Golden Skateworld back in the early 1990s before I stopped skating. She now is a coach down in Chester at the rink with Cindy. Debbie was one of Eddie Howard's students.
We're super lucky here to have these coaches even if two of the rinks are now gone.
thats cool, give Mark my best, Eddie was always good to us at nationals, a good guy. enjoy and have fun most of all. good luck did you do singles or what???
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:23 PM   #429
Zafira

Rick,
I'll let Mark know. No, I never competed. I didn't start taking classes until I was in my early twenties, and back then spare change was hard to come by so I was only able to go once a week.
Best,
~Zafira
Zafira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:22 AM   #430
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafira View Post
Rick,
I'll let Mark know. No, I never competed. I didn't start taking classes until I was in my early twenties, and back then spare change was hard to come by so I was only able to go once a week.
Best,
~Zafira
well have fun with it then, maybe you can compete now.
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:19 AM   #431
larryoracing

Smile I have spent hours reading all these threads, but I'm curious.

A long time ago, when I started skating there were a few old timers, that I got to see. I looked up to them, I didn't know them very well and I think they slowly vanished. Some of the younger kids stayed a while and I shortly left skating.

Some of the older names that really impressed me were.

Joe Cartensen (????)
Joanne Dillenger (?)
Dennis Collier.
Karen Marshall

I had the feeling these skater may have skated fours also. I never saw them skate fours.

Some of the younger skaters were:

Dale Cartensen (?)
Denny Brown (I think his pairs partner was Gail ?)

The one thing that was exciting about Dale was you didn't know if he was going to hit or miss. If he was 'on', hold on you were in for some excitement. If it was a bad day we all felt bad for him. We all wanted him to do well and I think everybody liked Dale. At least the fans did. I did..lol!

Where did they all go? I don't think these people ever coached. That is where I think you loose a lot in skating. All the talent these people had are lost forever. And In my mind they made the sport what it is today. And they were very likable people. Some of these people remind me of Leave it to Beaver. Good ole wholesome individuals you respected, liked and represented the sport very well.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote