S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM   #321
speedysktr
President of Everything

Please forward this message to Napalm regarding her and A2A:

"38? pfftt!"

This is not a reflection on the 38 in general.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #322
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

She slapped me for getting spit all over her.

Mark, PM.

JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM   #323
Pepper Montana

28 miles in 2:02 on the hilly loop. Terrific heart rate data with an average heart rate of 144 bpm. As far as A2A, I will probably just skate one of the shorter distances. I stopped at 14 miles for 5 minutes to eat and massage my right foot. I don't think that this is my year for 87. The problem with doing the candy butt distances is that you have to sit at the "kids" table in the bar afterwards.

"Shirley Temples, all around bartender. We just skated 50 some miles!"

Last edited by Pepper Montana; September 3rd, 2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM   #324
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
The problem with doing the candy butt distances is that you have to sit at the "kids" table in the bar afterwards.

"Shirley Temples, all around bartender. We just skated 50 some miles!"
Sweat not there Davey. Ain't no "Candy Butt" distances. If in doubt take survey of the couch potatoes around you, most have to gear up for a 38 mile drive, let alone walk, jog, bike or skate. And you will be allowed to have alcohol afterwards, you just get stuck picking up the tab. Good job on the 14mph 28 as well. JB
Old September 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM   #325
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
Sweat not there Davey. Ain't no "Candy Butt" distances. If in doubt take survey of the couch potatoes around you, most have to gear up for a 38 mile drive, let alone walk, jog, bike or skate. And you will be allowed to have alcohol afterwards, you just get stuck picking up the tab. Good job on the 14mph 28 as well. JB
Thanks, Jon. You are 100 percent right about the couch potatoes. As for the tab... Man, that is going to be worse than the skate ever could be... Thanks for the chuck under the chin.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:42 PM   #326
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

DM, A2A is my birthday, and all distancers are welcome to the party afterwards

OI - I bet that 22 miles was fast, especially with those monsters you're rolling on.

Jon B. and Buzz - thanks for the kind words, but you both did just as well as I did. I was just lucky to not have any major foot or other malfunctions that day.

September 3

I was supposed to take today off, but my friend Stella called me and asked me if I wanted to go for a swim. Not a bad idea I think since I'm doing a tri next Saturday and I haven't dipped a toe in the water since the last tri nearly a month ago. This was my first time in this particular pool, and I'm embarrassed to say I did the newbie headbutt to the wall on my first lap. I was looking for the black cross on the wall that wasn't there. Oops. I still remember what 2 + 2 is though so I think I'm ok.

Tomorrow - Busch Gardens along with the thousands of other sweaty people on their day off. Sounds like fun right?
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM   #327
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
DM, A2A is my birthday, and all distancers are welcome to the party afterwards
Yeah! Let's not lose sight of what's important here! It ain't the skate it's the BIRTHDAY! I wouldn't skate 87 miles for just anybody's birthday you know! JB
Old September 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #328
NWGlenn

Sun. 09-03 AM: Looked like a good day. Not as warm as predicted...crisp enough to get me rolling. Clear Creek Trail looking to over the a2a distance, i.e., 32 2.8 mile laps. Things started out all right; first two 5 lap segments coming in with consistent 12 min laps but then it was down hill from there. Third segment was a mix of 12 and 13 min laps (was hoping for all 12); the following segments had scattered times trending longer. Started losing it in the fifth segment, really hard slogging with a mix of 13, 14 & 16 min laps. Sixth segment wasn't: 'got about 3 1/2 laps in and had to throw in the towel...tunnel vision with "sparklies was a pretty convincing arguement. 'Think I'll skip the 'hills and grades' Tues. and Thur. and try again next Sun.

Segment Stats

1) 60' / 14mph
2) 60' / 14mph
3) 63' / 13.33mph
4) 66' /12.72mph
5) 71' / 11.83mph
6) 3 laps 48' / 10.5mph

Over all 78.4 miles 6hr 6min / 12.85mph. DNF. No carrot for the mule...stick for the mule...bad mule!!! WHAP, WHAP, WHAP!!! Eee-haaw, eee-haaw!
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #329
gless

Hey congrats to the Florida A2A crew! Awesome skating this weekend..that was certainly an inspiration while I was skating today...I think you all are now over the hump and ready for the 87...I know how hard it is to get that kind of distance in especially in the heat..you should be proud of the accomplishment

For my weekend....

I missed the fun Speedy's hilly 55 miler on Sat due to a last minute work emergency ..he had organized several skaters and a couple bicyclists for the day...Instead I spent the day pulling a double shift..

But I still had to get a long skate in this weekend myself...as everyone else had skated yesterday I was left to do mine solo today

As I'm not very keen on doing roads solo I opted for trail. It was a little tough to find a dry section as the leftovers of Ernesto had covered a lot of the trails with wet slimy leaves which hadn't dried off yet. I went up to an open section of trail where there was a good out and back of 15 miles. No hills on it but it has a 5 mile upgrade in the beginning of every lap that makes you grind it our for a while. And the weather cooperated with an overcast cool day.

Did 4 laps for 60 miles in 3:53. It was very hard to keep pushing but I kept the laps fairly consistent except for a little slow down on the last one. I think it was the longest skate I have ever done solo...I was pleased just to conquer the mental part of staying in it and pushing the skate hard for that long by myself..
gless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #330
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

I say congrats to both NWG & Gless for the extended solo runs. No two ways about it, the solo runs are refreshing for the first hour or two, but after that it starts to get a little like chinese water torture. You get so bored with it you just want to sit down. We did get about 2 -3 miles worth of rain on our Saturday run but fortunately the ensuing 36 miles was enough to spin the bearings dry again. Also, just noticed when I rotated my wheels today that my frame alignment had actually changed during the session. My form had gone to crap for the last 20 miles or so (yeah JT, I still kept skating) and I thought my pronation was just because my ankles were getting lame. Turns out the front of the frame had actually shifted outboard. The bolts weren't so loose as to be close to falling out, but they sure weren't tight. JB
PS - Glenn, how about a cormpromise, whack yourself with a carrot stick.
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #331
speedysktr
President of Everything

What he didnt have for inspiration was the knowledge that as he was rising from his beauty sleep thinking he merely had a 60 miler left to fill out the weekend, I was meanwhile amongst those stitching together a team to take to columbus in the morning for a half marathon-including him. Details 12 hours from now.
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #332
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
This was my first time in this particular pool, and I'm embarrassed to say I did the newbie headbutt to the wall on my first lap. I was looking for the black cross on the wall that wasn't there. Oops. I still remember what 2 + 2 is though so I think I'm ok.
Now knowing me and my propensity for calamity, just imagine what my head would look like if I were a lap swimmer. Good reason not to practice as a Triathelete. JB
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #333
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

After a full day of rest on Sunday, I went to Dyer this morning to skate. I was planning to do some hills, and some drills later.

There was absolutely no wind when I arrived at the park. Did the big hill 8 times, but only from 1/2 and 3/4 (from the bottom). I didn't want to push my limit, so I was taking it easy today (I could have gone all the way up to the top of the hill). My main goal is to rebuild my confidence on hills.

Despite gaining momentum pretty quick (my training bearings were soaked on Saturday, so I had to put my slick race bearings on today), I had no problem with stability and managing the turns on the bottom. After 8 attempts, I decided to take a rest, and that's when the shower rolled in, so I had to go home.
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #334
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Details 12 hours from now.
Sept 4 1/2 marathon JT 10th overall time and second in age group, was 45:10 hung with a quick start for about 5 miles and then the weekends festivities took their toll. My buddy got 2nd and it's frustrating because I've been giving it to him pretty good, your welcome nick . Gless didnt catch his placement.
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #335
online inline

Speedy, good go of it, nonetheless. It must be hard to train for ultra-distance then all of a sudden throw in a short interval race like a half marathon.

Stay sharp, and start thinking of sunrise over Lake Michigan....
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #336
Code Monkey

Oh I just skated a mere 35 miles Saturday. Took me an hour so it was just an easy skate. Just trying to stay loose for my skate to Florida. And back. Next weekend.

Wow, all of you are doing tremendous.

Jessica, do you notice if your feet are more sensitive or get injured after a swim? Mine do and it is because when I swim I usually go one mile so my skin is softened by the pool water. Lately since I am trying to get serious about long distance skating I have been soaking my feet in a concentrated salt and tea mixture and my feet are toughening up nicely. I got one spot from last weekends skate but it is healing tougher. Also remember to powder your feet and then put on your socks and then powder you boots. Did you try the Cookies and Cream muscle milk?
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #337
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Oh I just skated a mere 35 miles Saturday. Took me an hour so it was just an easy skate. Just trying to stay loose for my skate to Florida. And back. Next weekend.
Cool, we'll throw an extra veggie burger on the grill for you! JB
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #338
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

9/1: 1 1/2 hrs Dancing with Ernesto and a chainsaw. We had 2 trees drop on the driveway. We managed to cut the cars out with minor damage, during the storm. Good thing too, those were big trees, and they was a lot less room under them in the morning.

9/2: 2 hrs fun with chainsaws and carrying water. Waved to the bay county century riders as they came through. For some reason most of them seem to be on CX bikes. Considering there are a few places where the roads have trees in them, maybe only the CX folks got that far.

9/3: 2 hrs fun with chainsaws. Got power back.

9/4: 2 hrs easy bike: didn't keep telemetery. The roads are still to junked up to skate.
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #339
Pepper Montana

9/4 28 miles on the hilly loop in just under 2:02. Was windier than yesterday and the average heart rate was 148 vs. yesterday's 144 bpm. Park was way busier too with more traffic to navigate. Good day.

Dev, I'm glad Ernesto didn't send more problems your way!
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #340
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Sep 4, Monday: Withlacoochee Trail, me & Napalm
No real run. The objective was to learn how to "T"-stop, me, not Nay. She's got it down cold. I have got to be able to do "Suicide" hill without a road guard, and today was lesson one. Of course we did break out a little for some bicycle chasing and interval sprints, but I did get the hang of it, at least with my left foot, and partially with my right. I will continue to work on it. Did about 17 miles, no Garmin, no HR, just enjoyed ourselves - at least until the confrontation with the Ranger Rick at the state forest entrance. I did manage to avoid a ticket, but it was close. Lost control a little and had to turn the deliberations over to my chief negotiator. All in all, a nice little run. JB