S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #341
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Stay sharp, and start thinking of sunrise over Lake Michigan....
If nothing else, the racing today jumpstarted my focus on tapering for NSIM.

Dmorg-I think you'll regret not doing the 38 at A2A this year.click here

Yo scofflaw! what'dya do this time?
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #342
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Dmorg-I think you'll regret not doing the 38 at A2A this year.click here
I'm hoping to get my feet/boots in order for the double marathon. My feet cramped up horribly after the 28 miles yesterday. The muscles were so tight I cursed out loud. The right boot has a spot on the outside edge that I want to attack with a heat gun. You mentioned that you break in your feet with new boots. I am definitely breaking my feet in with these boots. The good part so far is that there are no blisters around the heel. The first 14 miles are fine, btw. It is only after skating for a while that the pain starts.

Double marathon or bust!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #343
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
Double marathon or bust!
And we shall quote the book of Spikoli:
Awesome, totally awesome!!!
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #344
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Great job everyone!! Gless - that's some willpower man... I have a hard enough time pushing myself for the 21 miles solo. The 40 I did by myself once was unbearable. I can't even imagine 60...

Jon B. - I'm glad you decided to have a timeless fun skate. I do that every once in a while to remind myself it's not always about going as fast as I can. That's why I like the Full Moon skate, just fun and friends. Unfortunately I'm going to miss the next one (this Friday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post

Jessica, do you notice if your feet are more sensitive or get injured after a swim? Mine do and it is because when I swim I usually go one mile so my skin is softened by the pool water. Lately since I am trying to get serious about long distance skating I have been soaking my feet in a concentrated salt and tea mixture and my feet are toughening up nicely. I got one spot from last weekends skate but it is healing tougher. Also remember to powder your feet and then put on your socks and then powder you boots. Did you try the Cookies and Cream muscle milk?
I don't really notice a difference with my feet when I swim. When I was younger, I used to get these awful charley horses in my feet when I went swimming, but thankfully haven't had any of those in a long time.

The GNC I went to were out of the muscle milk, and I was also informed that they'll no longer be carrying the protein powder I use. What a disappointment, seeing as it was the only one that wasn't sweetened artificially. I bought three big jars of the stuff anyway, until I can find it for sale online or find another brand that's sweetened with plain old natural sugar (or Stevia). Seems to be hard to find things that aren't laced with sucralose or aspartame these days.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #345
Code Monkey

Jessica,

Good going. Hey did you look at the speedskating video demos?

Did you look at Worlds Fastest, Roy Schneider? How about that for a double push?
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #346
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Congratulations to everyone who did something this weekend with skates...
I didn't and I feel like I'm paying the price right now...

Sep 5
Where: Seattle waterfront, Myrtle Edwards park, Pier 91 trail, Magnolia, Harbour Island
What: Skate to skate
Conditions: Clear, 55F, 0MPH, dry as long as there were no sprinklers

16.42 miles in 1:44:06 for an average of 9.5. I was doing the tour of the freight terminals when the gravel and glass that was scattered on the sidewalk caught up with me, I managed to roll a shoulder under and came out unscathed. I felt like I did not know what I was doing out there. I also survived testing the Seattle toy law as I was skating in the bike lane in the street and was passed by several cop cars. It was un-nerving being in that bike lane being passed by semis going 40+MPH and the pavement had gouges and groves and was rattling my feet to sleep.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #347
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
Congratulations to everyone who did something this weekend with skates...
I didn't and I feel like I'm paying the price right now...
Welcome back to the fold. Isn't it amazing how quickly one loses his gains.
Quote:
It was un-nerving being in that bike lane being passed by semis going 40+MPH and the pavement had gouges and groves and was rattling my feet to sleep.
That's what keeps me off our highway. We have a freshly paved 19 mile section with bike lane the whole way, all through undeveloped territory so no driveway aprons. The bike lanes are a lot narrower than I'd like, and all of the loose road debris finds it's way to the shoulder, but I can live with all that. What I have a hard time with is tucking my elbows in to my sides so as not to whack them on passing semi's, and then getting shoved around by their draft. I'll stick to the trail. JB
BTW - I pm'd you.
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:19 AM   #348
NWGlenn

Tue. 09-05: Skipped 'hills & grades' today just like I promised...to take the week off. Bank, shopping, roof maintenance; oh yeah, need to adjust the frame on my left skate to correct a little pronation when tired. So that looks good...ah, umm, well, guess I'd better check it out (damn! so much for promises)

Evening: Evergreen Park - about an hour with one of the speed team youngsters and a chickette on a bike. No numbers just working the pace and stretching the kinks out. Feels mellow.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #349
Code Monkey

Last night I was feeling old. Ok, I am old but I'm trying to forget that fact. Work is now going full steam and I am going constantly so bear with me on mispellings. I just type and go. Finally got all my tasks done and it was 9:00pm and my son had energy and I was tapped out. So I thought this mornings skate was going to be tough.

My training partner and I are now doing three days a week where we do ten or twelve miles as fast as I can. Sort of a long distance interval training. In fact I am getting some new frames and wheels with ceramic bearings on a new C4 boot for these short distance workouts. Well, still in my old setup we get out this morning and it feels actually kind of cold. It was 67 degrees. Wow, what a difference. I had energy. I skated like a mad man. I did twelve miles in a little less than one hour. Good for me. Next month after doing some more of the shorter faster workouts I am going to have myself timed and hopefully will want to brag to all of you about it. My training partner wants to film me so that will be coming.
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #350
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

CM - yes, I watched the videos, thank you! I love watching that stuff, it makes me want to ditch work and go skate some more!

September 5

Track workout - 2x400, mile, 2x400, mile cooldown. Was supposed to do another mile but jumped out on the first lap because I felt like I was going to hurl. I don't know if I ate too much, if it was just too hot, or maybe a combination of the two. I'm glad I made myself go at least, after walking around Busch Gardens for 7 straight hours the day before.

September 6

10 hill repeats at Upper Tampa Bay trail. Felt really good this morning - I wanted to skate longer but had to come to work
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #351
speedysktr
President of Everything

Sept. 5th and 6th off. So far so good. Did nothing yesterday, tried to go to bed early, but was up till 10ish. Slept until 6:40am-nice. Will try again to be asleep by 9pm. May take the kids out in the chariot for a brief, very easy ride, 8 miles.
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #352
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
... and came out unscathed...
No I did not come out unscathed...I pulled or sprained a muscle on my rib cage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
BTW - I pm'd you.
PMed you back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGlenn View Post
and a chickette on a bike.
Are you turning into the next CM? I'll catch up with you this Sunday at session, since I think you're doing session Thursday and not Evergreen.
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #353
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Sep 6
Where: Seattle waterfront
What: 5 miles of intervals (1/3rd mile sprint, 1/3rd mile pace)
Conditions: Clear, 55F, 6MPH, dry

5 miles in 26:59 for an average of 11.1. Max speed 18.0 (last interval -- felt good). Avg HR 155. Max HR 183. Best mile 5:12/11.5. Worst mile 5:46/10.4.

I was tsk'ed by a cyclist for pulling a U turn...
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #354
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Couldn't skate yesterday due to rain. So I was rather excited today because Dyer Park was dry when I got there. I did 8 descents from the big hill, 6 of them from the top, and half of them rolling start. Due to slight tailwind, the speed going downhill was rather quick, but managable. After that, only did 2 extra miles before the rain rolled in...... Last lap time was really disappointing, 4.36 over 1.1 mile (that's almost a minute slower than my best time).

Everytime I came to Dyer in the last 2 weeks, it rained! Only skated 3 times there since St. Paul, and had to cut the sessions short due to rain.......
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #355
NWGlenn

QUOTE=mvirtue;2109]
Originally Posted by NWGlenn
and a chickette on a bike.

Are you turning into the next CM? I'll catch up with you this Sunday at session, since I think you're doing session Thursday and not Evergreen.[/QUOTE]

No Way Dude!!! She was very much "ette!". Besides she was flaunting at Logan.
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #356
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGlenn View Post
No Way Dude!!! She was very much "ette!". Besides she was flaunting at Logan.
okay, what does that mean "very much 'ette'"? Way too young? Way too what? Help us out here bro and by the way savor that beard. Go twiddle your whiskers, you'll thank me in the future.
Old September 7th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #357
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Sep 6
Where: Evergreen rotary park
What: 5 dog/pedestrian slalom course miles
Conditions: Clear, 82F, 7MPH

5 miles in 22:57 for an average of 13.1. Avg HR 159. Max HR 168. Max speed 19.1. Best mile 4:26/13.5@154. Worst mile 4:42/12.7@161.
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #358
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Originally Posted by NWGlenn
No Way Dude!!! She was very much "ette!". Besides she was flaunting at Logan

okay, what does that mean "very much 'ette'"? Way too young? Way too what? Help us out here bro and by the way savor that beard. Go twiddle your whiskers, you'll thank me in the future.
Three alternate definitions; all applicable:
1) little, small
2) resembling (a chick)
3) feminine (yep)

definitely way too young :=})>
Old September 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #359
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Thumbs up

September 7

21 miles at Flatwoods - was determined today to break my last record of 1:15:33. First two laps were nearly identical, and right on pace. I was feeling really worn out by the final lap but I made sure to consistently remind myself what my goal was. Looked at my watch at mile 20 and saw 1:12 exactly, so I knew I had to finish the last mile in under 3:30, although I was feeling pretty wasted. I was actually deliriously talking to myself as I crossed - hope nobody heard me Did the last mile in 3:04! Final time was 1:15:04, 3:34 avg. Cool!

Skipping core training tonight, as a start to the taper. I'll be taking Friday and Sunday off, then next week doing low miles, fast feet, starts and sprints. I've kind of planned this out thanks to a combination of advice from you all.
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #360
Code Monkey

Jessica you are awesome!

Last night I had to do a little running because I left some baseball equipment in the trunk of my car. Probably a total of a half mile. I haven't run in so long that I felt very awkward. I felt like I looked and probably did like those old guys you see running. Looking like they are working hard and barely moving. I excused myself for my pathetic running because I said to myself I use different muscles skating. Truth is I don't skate that fast either. During my run I thought of you and your running and skating and realized you are incredible.

Had to work late last night and turned my alarm off this morning and had no idea. I woke up to my son crawling across me with his knee pushing down on my privates. I get out of bed and today I am sore all over. I think running can kill. I think I have rigormortis. So I thought of what incredible shape you must be in. Keep it up, you are an inspiration.