S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 02:16 AM   #17441
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Hour and twenty out with homies today:
Learned a new trick:
https://youtu.be/qm65Fkq3E1g
Old September 4th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #17442
Joey

Default Not What I Expected Today...

I shot out to City Park at sunrise to knock off a fast 10-20 mile skate on the Festival Grounds nice wide fitness path. Nope. The annual Seafood Festival pirated that whole area so I started skating on the Big Lake Trail which is fairly narrow and no place for speed. I had a lot of fun slaloming the mindless drones walking on the path for almost an hour.

Then I shot out to a nearby empty parking lot near the Great Lawn in the same park for some actual freestyle slalom practice, mostly skating on one foot. I kept the GPS running. Surprisingly I put in nearly 6 miles in a very small area. You can see it here or see the entire skate on Strava:

After my ankles had enough of that I skated cross town to grab a smoothie and back to the park. Ended up with nearly 18 miles total of just puttsing around sub 10mph most of the time. My high speed was 17 due to sprinting up to a cyclist to catch a draft for a bit.

Anyway...I still got my miles.
Old September 4th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #17443
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

What kind of skates are those Joey? I dig the shi7 out them!

1h20m yesterday at hoffman with 100 pullups
1h17m today at hoffman with 100 pushups

3 day freakin weekend! GO SKATE!!!
Old September 5th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #17444
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
What kind of skates are those Joey? I dig the shi7 out them!
My avatar photo: Rollerblade Nature. Liked them so much I got 2 pairs back in the late '90s. One sat on the shelf for 10 years, thankfully the TOP shelf of a closet as a hurricane flooded the house and drowned the pair I had been using. Lucky I bought that second pair.

The boots were made by the Italian hiking boot company Asolo. The frames are attached like mountaineering crampons and rock solid. The boots walk OK - best to unlace the top eyelets if walking a lot. Frames are composite so skates weigh a ton but feel like bedroom slippers compared to my new Powerslide EVO skates. I could do 20 miles on them with no issues. After that they just got heavier and heavier. Frames are rockerable. Right skate has an integral heel brake - only inline skates I ever owned with a brake but gotta admit it saved me hundreds of dollars over the years on wheels. I commuted 5 miles each way on them in the city grid from time to time. Heel brake allowed me to just ride these skates like a bicycle - aggressive with the ability to stop fast in a perfectly straight line while splitting lanes between cars. I can hockey stop like a pro but I don't get free wheels like a pro.

Quote:
3 day freakin weekend! GO SKATE!!!
Wife's birthday is Monday. Likely NOT a skate day for me.
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #17445
Joey

Default Skating but Not On Skates...

My ankle bones were sore and bruised this morning due to lots of one-foot skating slalom practice yesterday wearing new skates. So this morning I grabbed my favorite longboard an knocked off a quick 11 miles.

Skating is skating to me. I know there are many snobby purists out there with a "my sport is better than your sport" attitude, and I don't intend to fill this place up with sports not of interest to folks here. This being said, you might enjoy experiencing something new. My longboard is no ordinary "skateboard" by any stretch. It is set up for "pumping" which means I can make it go by shifting my weight as well as just pushing with one leg. I can easily do 50 miles on this board. I doubt anyone here has heard of such a thing, so here are links to a couple of my videos. Think of it as one giant quad skate!

A short video showing how pumping a longboard works.

A long video longboarding a 15 mile loop around New Orleans, USA. Same route I skate on my inlines.

And Today's GPS info:

One great thing about longboarding and inline skating is the two sports use vastly different muscle groups and strain different tendons and ligaments. So if one sport is painful from overdoing it, the other sport is likely doable. Like today with my sore ankles. I wear high end Asics running shoes on the longboard. They do not touch my ankles.

Cheers!
Old September 7th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #17446
ese002

I have previously mentioned this possibility as probably a bad idea but I did it anyway:

Solo 100K for the third consecutive Sunday.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/890595355

62.08 mi
13.4 mph Avg Speed
3,700 C

Fastest 100K on recent record (from 2013). Probably the fastest since the last 100K race on Canada Road in 2008. The first five laps (my baseline workout) are the fastest on that course since November 2013.

I hope I don't pay for this at Duluth. Going so far and hard so close to show time is a bit sketchy.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #17447
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
...probably a bad idea but I did it anyway:
You gotta do what you gotta do. We all know skating is addictive. And i would pay a thousand dollars for a 66 day right now. Temps have been 95F here for three solid months.

Quote:
Solo 100K for the third consecutive Sunday. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/890595355
I "rode" the route just now on Google Street View. If I had that road nearby I would lose my job and probably my wife. Although my wife and i used to very much enjoy drafting a paceline of roadies while speed skating and eventually dropping a few of them.

Quote:
I hope I don't pay for this at Duluth. Going so far and hard so close to show time is a bit sketchy.
I'm betting you will be just fine at Duluth. Why would you EVER miss a good skating day in Cali ? Or anywhere? We only get so many great days to skate where weather+work schedule+chores+injuries+health all line up so we even have the CHOICE to do something sketchy in advance of an event.

Last edited by Joey; September 7th, 2015 at 03:39 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #17448
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Dang ese! Good luck.

Cool skates Joey, they're definitely different. Love the concept, and they look like they'd handle nicely.

Since last post, I got an hour and a half on saturday and Sunday, and an hour and a quarter today.

Caught a new 15sec trick clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIY5l7P8ZyE
Old September 8th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #17449
Joey

Quote:
Cool skates Joey, they're definitely different. Love the concept, and they look like they'd handle nicely.
Like an extension of my body.

Next time I get a minute I will take a few photos of the skates and the frames in detail. Been meaning to do that for my own records anyway. I'll post them up here somewhere.

Quote:
...a new 15sec trick clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIY5l7P8ZyE
Man, the best part of the trick happened a mile away from the camera. And do you OWN that skate park or hit it while the kiddies are in school?

Pool/park/aggressive skating is the only thing I have not tried. Not really a figure skater either for that matter. But I do enjoy watching people skate on those tiny wheels.

Who do you have shooting the video?
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #17450
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

My buddy Brandon shot the vid on his new Cannon. That handstand is a very old trick. I've been doing that for years. I just recently in the last month learned that grind(slide) on the edge of the bowls.

Yeah, that place is a ghost town during lunch every day. Weekends and after school tho, forget it. Packed full of bikes, scooters and boards flying everywhere.

*dead about like the aggressive skating forum here on SLF. It's just me in there too. Many many vids there, if you're interested. Lots of handstands and 540's and such.
Kinda like this: https://youtu.be/kYqtvvn2NC8
(I do my own music too usually)
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #17451
Joey

Quote:
*dead about like the aggressive skating forum here on SLF. It's just me in there too. Many many vids there, if you're interested. Lots of handstands and 540's and such.
Kinda like this: https://youtu.be/kYqtvvn2NC8
(I do my own music too usually)
Dude...you OWN that freaking skate park. I like the skateboard kid just watching you and hoping you go home before he gets started.

Ever had the truant officer come by to find out why you aren't in school? That would be a fun video to see. Cop calls you over, you turn around with a full beard and skate over to to him/her with a "hey...wassup officer?"

I have a good friend who used to be a pro skateboarder and also shot stills for skate magazines. He is near 40 yrs old and gets all sorts of looks when he gets near the lip. Then he drops in and everybody stops to watch.

EDIT: Just visited the aggressive skate forum. Seems you freaking OWN that too!
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #17452
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
You gotta do what you gotta do. We all know skating is addictive. And i would pay a thousand dollars for a 66 day right now. Temps have been 95F here for three solid months.
I think the 66F was starting temperature at the San Carlos airport, which is right on the Bay thus cooler. On Canada Road, it started in the low 70's but rose quickly. It was 88F when I finished.

Only a little cooler than New Orleans on that day but the humidity was rather low.

It's a nice course, four miles of significant but not particularly daunting hills. Three miles of which are closed to cars every Sunday. Until 2008 or 9 all four miles were closed to traffic on Sundays. It has been at least 15 years since any repaving so the surface is definitely degraded. Fortunately, there is are no major hazards. It is just a little slow.

Last edited by ese002; September 8th, 2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: more stuff
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #17453
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Dude...you OWN that freaking skate park. I like the skateboard kid just watching you and hoping you go home before he gets started.

Ever had the truant officer come by to find out why you aren't in school? That would be a fun video to see. Cop calls you over, you turn around with a full beard and skate over to to him/her with a "hey...wassup officer?"

I have a good friend who used to be a pro skateboarder and also shot stills for skate magazines. He is near 40 yrs old and gets all sorts of looks when he gets near the lip. Then he drops in and everybody stops to watch.

EDIT: Just visited the aggressive skate forum. Seems you freaking OWN that too!
LOL, I originally found this place while googling size 14 aggressive skates. This forum came up, so I signed up for some advice. Thus the screen name. Skip forward 8 years and almost 8000 posts and almost 100 pounds, and you get me. A 50 year old dude with a fkcuing serious skating problem. lol

https://www.endomondo.com/users/1673...outs/597950189
Got my hour in. I always get my hour in!

Hi, I'm Dave, and I have a skating problem. Pour the coffee.
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #17454
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

ese002 has got it as bad, if not worse, than me tho.
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #17455
Joey

Quote:
Got my hour in. I always get my hour in!
I took an hour "smoke break" from work today and skated over to the new park on the river. Elevator was broken (takes you up a walkway high above active train tracks and a flood wall) so I walked about a thousand stairs too. I skated the park then a bunch of laps in the shade of a giant used-to-be-a warehouse.

I don't run the GPS from work usually and not certain it would even work under that big roof. So no records of this skate.

Here is a photo of the stairs next to the busted elevators:

This is the old warehouse:

And the view from inside the old warehouse:

Glad I have a job that lets me match my skating time to the other employee's smoking time when we aren't too busy.

I'm 57 BTW. Still going strong. Same knees, hips, and teeth I was born with (minus wisdom teeth of course).
Old September 9th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #17456
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Man, that warehouse looks like an awesome spot to skate!

Loved your last line..... You got me by 7 years man. Still got all my original OEM equipment too.

Keep on!
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #17457
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

1hr4m yesterday
1hr 15m today
Worked on backside coping grinds and airs.

The heat has broken here in OKC, and it looks like cool temps on the way. Time to get serious about the skating now! I love football season. But hate football. lol
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #17458
Joey

Quote:
I love football season. But hate football. lol
I learned a long time ago to use American football as a diversionary tactic.

Our state college team (LSU) makes it possible for my wife and I to have dinner at some really nice (very popular) restaurants that do not take reservations, and they do not have a TV in the building. Just show up right at kickoff no problem.

On Sunday, our Saints usually kickoff at Noon. So at 12:01 i push one of my bikes, longboards, or skates out of my front door and have the entire city to myself for about 3 hours, assuming it's a close game.

A good friend of mine is a backpacking/camping enthusiast. In his exact words: "I love football. It keeps a million knuckleheads out of the woods during Fall when the weather is awesome."

So F2B, you are not alone. Or...maybe you ARE alone in that skate park and loving every minute! As for my football fix, I just go to NFL.com and watch the highlights when I am too tired to skate any more. Or not.
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:52 AM   #17459
Joey

I got rained out for several days. At last, a beautiful afternoon with lower humidity and temps. Skated to City Park from my house and then round and round for 25 miles on the new Powerslide EVO skates. They were comfortable enough. I might have added more miles but the pesky sun decided to set and I had not packed any lights to get me home.

I thought the fitness paths would be loaded with Meanderthols wandering mindlessly with their dogs, kids, and in groups "hands-across-the-path-for-peace" style. This was literally our FIRST cool afternoon in four months. However, to my delight, the path was almost totally deserted!

Here is the STRAVA data. Or go to https://www.strava.com/athletes/brooks_joey

BTW...just put the 100th mile on my new Powerslide skates! And for some reason STRAVA does not interpret my Max Speed properly. When I checked the GPS it showed 15.5 as my high speed which I think is correct. If I had hit 25+mph, I would remember that.

Old September 13th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #17460
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Got up early and hit the indoor spot at 8am. Got a brutal 2 hours.
Went home, ate and took a damn nap and went back again at 5pm Got an even more brutal 2h20m for a total of 4:20m for the day.

Also mowed the yard. No wonder I'm so tired.