S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old February 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #1
dogsbody

Default Goodwood Roller Marathon - 9th August 2009

Event : Goodwood Roller Marathon
Date : 9th August 2009

Camberley Skaters are proud to announce the date for Goodwood Roller Marathon 2009. Please put 9th August 2009 in your diary.

Goodwood Roller Marathon is a charity race around the historic Goodwood Motor Circuit. Which ever race you choose to enter you do not have to complete all the laps so why not set yourself a challenge, you may do more than you think! All skaters are welcome no matter what the level or style. It is a great day out and a perfect start if you are new to marathons. There is microchip timing of the laps as well as a medal for you to take home and keep. More details on the website.

This year we are changing the Mega race to a Dual race, yes a double marathon for all those interested at 22 laps (53.24miles or 85.68km). Of course we also have the Full Marathon (11 laps, 26.62 miles, 42.84 km), the Midi (5 laps, 12.10 miles, 19.47 km) and the Mini (2 laps, 4.84 miles, 7.74km).

As we ramp up to the event posters & forms will be available and advanced registration will open. To stay up to date with the latest news please sign up to the mailing list or follow us on your favourite social network.

See you all there.
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
peter

Registration is now open for this event
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #3
peter

Nice video of 2008 here

http://vimeo.com/3701382
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #4
dogsbody

A quick reminder that discounted registration fees end this Sunday (28th June) as it will be six weeks until the Goodwood Roller Marathon 2009, doesn't time fly! If you haven't already please register and pay before this date to receive the cheaper rate.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #5
peter

Goodwood entries are about to exceed last year's final total (350) with another month still left to register.

There has been a simply phenomenal increase in roller derby skaters this year, and over half the entrants are first timers.
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Armadillo

Default Please post PICs & notes after event

Peter,
I am livng vicariously through your participation in this marathon.
For 2nd year in a row a serious injury has taken me out of skating my local marathon.
I broke two bones in my shoulder when a wheel came off while skating at speed. No skating for 5 full weeks! Bummer.
I'll be curious how well the different types of quad builds do outdoors for a marathon?
You will have your lightweight speed optimized Roll-Line wheels at least.

I will be curious how things like skate weights, wheel types, etc. affect peoples' performance. Take good notes, and give us a report. With so many good quad skaters in a marathon, I'll be interested in how much they think their skate build helped or hindered their results?

-Armadillo
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #7
peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
With so many good quad skaters in a marathon,
Good quad skaters maybe but I think they will all be indoor skates who have put on outdoor wheels simply for Goodwood.

My son and I managed to do 11 laps (full marathon) of Goodwood last Sunday (not the event proper though) before the rain started. He won't be wearing the Reno Heliums (or was it Hydrogens) - the track has cut up quite a bit over winter. He will either switch back to Hyper Rollo's or a new wheel just out (the name of which escapes me) that he has been asked to review. I'll keep you posted.

If I do see any quad skaters zipping round I will try and get details, but as I am doing the double marathon I may be otherwise occupied.
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #8
peter

What a great day. Six hundred skaters of all levels of ability and glorious sunshine. Credit has to go to Camberley Skaters for once again organising a fantastic day. Chip timing for everybody, water stop on the circuit, plenty of vocal support to the bitter end.

My son (quads) and I (inlines) broke our half marathon best by 7 minutes and fiull marathon by a wopping 25 minutes. Although this might explain why I blew up at lap 19 of 22 of the double marathon we were attempting (45 out of 52 miles).

To answer the question of quad skate equipment, there were no out and out speed skaters. By and large they fell into two groups - hockey players and roller derby ladies - all skating on indoor wheels. They suffered.

My son was wearing roller hockey boots with Hyper Rollo 65mm wheels. The track was too rough for anything any harder. I also put new bearings on his wheels. His skates were so quiet that when he was skating behind me I had to check he was still there.

Anyway, I think I have raised about 500 for the event's charity, so not a complete waste of time not finishing.
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Metallikat

I knocked 20 minutes off last year's time - finished in 2hrs 11minutes (I think, waiting for confirmation) yesterday. I wore my usual derby skates (Bont carbon derby with Roll-line Variant M plates) on Radar Energy outdoor wheels with rubbishy ABEC 1 bearings. I think lack of wind, some good music on my ipod and not having two gaping blisters on each anklebone after lap 1 (like last year) probably helped with smashing last year's 'record'

Really enjoyed doing it though, as did the rest of the rollergirls I spoke to..
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Armadillo

Default Thanks for the update - sounds like it was a great event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
What a great day. Six hundred skaters of all levels of ability and glorious sunshine. Credit has to go to Camberley Skaters for once again organising a fantastic day. Chip timing for everybody, water stop on the circuit, plenty of vocal support to the bitter end.

My son (quads) and I (inlines) broke our half marathon best by 7 minutes and fiull marathon by a wopping 25 minutes. Although this might explain why I blew up at lap 19 of 22 of the double marathon we were attempting (45 out of 52 miles).

To answer the question of quad skate equipment, there were no out and out speed skaters. By and large they fell into two groups - hockey players and roller derby ladies - all skating on indoor wheels. They suffered.

My son was wearing roller hockey boots with Hyper Rollo 65mm wheels. The track was too rough for anything any harder. I also put new bearings on his wheels. His skates were so quiet that when he was skating behind me I had to check he was still there.

Anyway, I think I have raised about 500 for the event's charity, so not a complete waste of time not finishing.
Congratulations on the great time improvements. I can barely imagine completing a single marathon on quads, but 19 out of 22 laps for a double marathon is still a major accomplishment - especially at personal record speeds!

What one thing do you think would have most helped you to complete those last three laps? Lighter weight skates? More comfortable skates?
Better foot cushioning of your skates? More distance traing? etc.

I just completed this new light weight (1189 gram/foot)) outdoor build with carbon fiber glue plate, and I am now seeing that for me going further before muscle breakdown is majorly affected by skate weight. Next build will be <1000 grams!

Doing my 1st race on Sept 9th - only a half marathon as I have missed 6 weeks of skating with a broken shoulder (wheel came off at speed).
All the Best!

-Armadillo
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #11
peter

"What one thing do you think would have most helped you to complete those last three laps?"

Being 20 years younger

Truthfully it is hard to tell as we have not done a marathon at any pace for several years, and we were tactically clueless about how to tackle the whole event.

Possibly lighter skates. Possibly not pushing quite so hard for the 1st marathon.

I think if we had got into a decent paceline we'd have possibly saved more energy, which was what we ran out of rather than time. We did form a line from time to time, but it kept on breaking up. And after 3 hours, there were only a dozen of us left out on the 2.5 mile circuit, all the other races having finished. It was a bit lonely to say the least

In all honesty I think my son still had enough energy left to complete all 22 laps if he'd had company.

Having now seen the provisional results, I am incredibly proud of my son Tom's achievements. He and Mettalikat (posting above) were a street mile ahead of the rest of the other quad skaters.

Mettalikat finished as 1st quaddie in the full marathon in the top 100 (300 startes, 253 finishers) - brilliant skating -well done.

Tom's time at full marathon distance would have put him in about 120th and 2nd quaddie. He is now hooked on long distance skating.

Anyway - looking forward to 2010, we are thinking about setting our goal as getting under 2 hours. This might seem a bit slow compared to the inline speedskaters, but I'll be 60 years old and Tom will still be on roller hockey quads.

P/S. Mettalikat, we are thinking about going along to Dorney Lake (Windsor) in the near future to do a "casual" marathon if you are interested. There may be a few Camberley Skaters going along. I'll keep you posted.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM   #12
peter

Many photos of the event here

http://www.goodwoodmarathon.co.uk/gallery/

For the best feel of the event's atmosphere look at the galleries of Gordon Morrison

http://www.glossyphotos.co.uk/GoodwoodMarathon09

and Philip Barton

http://www.goodwoodmarathon.co.uk/gallery/2009-pb