S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old November 4th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #4881
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshr View Post
Next week is Silverstrand, I am excited.
Good luck!

Nov 3rd

Painted this morning and skated the strand late afternoon.

Boy was that a mistake, I really hit a wall.

Finished my typical route (17.5 mi) about 3 minutes faster than last time, but I felt really tired.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #4882
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Nov 3 -- pm Skate

PM sprint session

Finished 2nd in the 500m...My team mate went down on the last corner...But this is the closest(before he fell) that I've ever been to him at the end of the 500.

Madeline finished 4th again and was within touching distance of 3rd at the finish line! Again a lousy start but again an amazing charge through the field!
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #4883
skaterdog

Sunday:

12 miles on the bike

20 mile skate

7 mile run...(coming up)
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #4884
speedysktr
President of Everything

busy boy there, s-dog. nice.

Nov. 4th
2.5 hr indoor practice. Did something different with the HRM today by stopping it in between events. For the 20 minute warm up I was 170 avg./184 max. I kinda spaced it out for a couple other things, but the one relay that I measured was 150/172.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #4885
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Default 11/04

Indoor practice. 1.75 hrs.
30 min. warm up. Fitness and stretching.
20 min. rolling tech. skills.
Remainder - intervals.
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #4886
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
Jeremy was running a 3x110 in an old 5x84 frame. He was looking good.
yes he is, looking good that it, but one of his cronies told me he had 100s on the 3x. Any truth to that? He was going too fast to really tell.
Sorry i missed you, mark. I was hoping you would take my picture. (funny smiley face inserted here).
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #4887
desertkiwi
Make It Happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshr View Post
Did 18 miles with a peak of 18 mph and an average of 11 mph with the Formula 1 crowd at El Dorado park in Long Beach.
So ya got your new toy? Today was supposed to be LSD, but just wasn't into it. Knocked off after 12 miles; guess it just wasn't as fun as last week skating with you guys. I'll get over it.

Have fun at Silver Strand next weekend!

Tawni

PS Can you email me a copy of the group photo you took when we went skating? Thanks.
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #4888
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
yes he is, looking good that it, but one of his cronies told me he had 100s on the 3x. Any truth to that? He was going too fast to really tell.
Sorry i missed you, mark. I was hoping you would take my picture. (funny smiley face inserted here).

They were 110s...

Nov 4th -- am Skating

The long race was fun...We traded places for 10 laps...Trying to do nice clean passes.

Finished 3rd.

Madeline clipped the skates while passing up into 4th and went down. She bounced back and finished 7th. She retained 4th overall.

My partner and I won our relay. I got trapped against the wall and fell on our second exchange...and wedgied my self...We still won.
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #4889
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

11/3 skated on the fitness skates at Renee Coffman's pre-marathon skate clinic. lots of fun. Probably 1 or 1.5 hours on skates.

11/4 Course Marshal for the Houston Inline Marathon. Skated back and forth on my new Radical 100s for about an hour and a half and sent people either on down the road for the marathon, or off the exit for the shorter fun skate. People seemed to be having fun. I enjoyed seeing the rank beginners actually improving as the race went on, going faster on their second laps than their first. I didn't see the pros because i needed to head off to church, but in the non-pros there were a couple of guys who were really dominating, and a bunch of really fast folks trying to reel them in. Cool stuff.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #4890
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Thursday, outdoor at Okeeheelee, only 2 skaters showed up. Wasn't feeling well, but I was stubborn enough to skate. Did around 15 miles or so, mostly behind my teammate. Still struggling to land on the outside edge for my left skate. Felt dizzy after......

Saturday, indoor. Lots of circles, big and small...... It's my 2nd time indoor with the 100mm, and had my 2nd crash on them. Tripped my own feet while in the lead and took 2 skaters down with me..... Really felt bad because it's the first time I took someone else out indoor.......

Also found out that the new set up is so hard to turn, especially for small circles. I could do a much tigher circle when I was on 90mm.

Felt even dizzier after the practice.....

Sunday, felt much better but still not 100%. Outdoor at the dump. For warm-up, we're doing the dumbbell loops (2.5 miles) 5 times. Didn't have much problem keeping up for the first 1 and half lap, until we hit the hill for the 2nd time. These 100mm really sucked going up hill. From that point on, skated by myself. Caught up with a teammate who's dropped. Able to stick on for about 200 yards or so before running out of gas. Didn't want everyone to wait for me, so only did 4 out of 5 laps.

Then, hill repeats. We're supposed to go up the big hill, do the little loop on top of the hill, down and repeat for 10 times. Only did 6 because I was almost done after the 2nd one. Had to take a long rest and continue. Gotta find a way to drag these 100s up that hill......
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #4891
online inline

Congratulations on the relay win, Mark. See you in two weeks.
Buzz, for hills on 100s, maybe try going there and just do them several times over, just the hills. rest after each one, and hammer as hard as you need to to get a good hill climb. Also, perhaps doing interval running sprints up stairs or bleachers would be a good cross-training exercise.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #4892
joshr

Nov 4: 6 miles at around 16 miles an hour. Got out just a little before dark after trying to go all day.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #4893
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Default Look who's back

Yesterday: 43.85 miles in 3:00:27 (14.6 mph), temp 75 and windy, no HR datums available (lost my chest strap, which turned out to be surprisingly expensive). I wanted to do a long skate at a pace beyond my usual ultradistance plodding, and I was nicely tired at the end of this one.

Today: Day off, with various parts of my body complaining that they're not quite used to what I had them do yesterday.

A few weeks ago I started training for next year's Montreal 24hr, presumably to take place in mid-July 2008. I've built a 9-month training plan around two goals: winning the Solo division and covering 300+ miles -- improvements over this year's 3rd place finish and 268-mile performance. Some of the components I considered while designing my plan:

Distance/Speed:
For this year's 24hr, I did lots of long slow distance, which worked perfectly to meet the conservative goals I had for that race. Since then, I've been reading about ultracycling training and learned that even ultradistance athletes need speedwork to increase lactate threshold and boost cruising speed. Also, I learned in Montreal that it helps to have some pop in your legs to stay in the draft. I'll skate plenty of slow miles this time around, but I'll be doing many tempo and interval workouts in the later phases.

Strength:
Last year I lifted weights all winter, which made me look nice nekkid, but I'm not convinced it improved my skating. This time I'll concentrate on bodyweight exercises, core strength, dryland, and plyometrics to enhance my body's ability to support, stabilize, balance, and propel itself. I hope I can continue to do these exercises throughout the training cycle -- last year's unusually snowy winter plus an untimely illness kept me from skating outdoors for more than two months, so by the time the thaw came I panicked and did almost nothing beyond skating tons of outdoor miles, which cost me a lot of strength.

Flexibility: I've changed my mind about flexibility. I'm still not convinced that greater flexibility reduces injuries, but it sure does increase range of motion, which I think is an important missing link in improving my skating technique. So I've started stretching more. I'll never pass for a gymnast or dancer, but maybe I'll be able to maintain the skating position more easily.

Form & Technique: The bane of my skating existence. I know technique work is good for me, but I have a hard time making myself do it. Anyway, I've been doing more drills and skating slow miles while concentrating on proper form. Next year I'll go to an Eddy Matzger seminar and try to learn the double push. I also hope that greater strength and flexibility will help me improve my form.

Nutrition: I'm watching my diet closely these days, and not just to lose the 10 pounds I gained during the last three months of reduced activity and increased gluttony. I'm interested in whether a more balanced, healthful diet can help me perform better. Also, as of November 1, I became a vegetarian -- partly out of curiosity, and partly out of concerns about cruelty to animals. This is a tough one for me because I love me some cooked animal flesh, but so far so good.

Equipment: Movin' on up from 5x84 Powerslide R2 to a custom 4x100 setup. I sent my order form to Jason McDaniel today.
So exciting! I hope to see another neon-clad SkateLog team skating, eating, sleeping, and repeating next year!

251 days till 24Hours Inline Montreal 2008...
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #4894
darthmaulher1138
eat, breath, SKATE!!!!

Default mvirtue

this is really off subject but I noticed you are in port orchard. I live in Silverdale and skate with slaughter county roller vixens (roller derby). Do you coach at Skateland? I always try to keep up with those kids during fast skates and it is very challenging, they just fly! You guys have a great team! You should come to our next bout, I believe we are shooting for January. See ya later!!
-Darth Maul'Her #1138
darthmaulher1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #4895
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
Welcome back!

At Parkinson's I finally understood the double meaning of "More Cowbell" ... they had chip timing but did the 'cowbell start'.

MORE COWBELL!

== John ==
P.S. I forgot to mention two things after Saturday's skate:

1) I SAW A PACELINE ON THE STRAND! There were 3-4 skaters, and a pair of cyclists in front and behind, pacing them. They were going the other way so I didn't get much of a chance to say hello.

2) Q: When you work your outside edges, if you aren't strong enough do you get a terrible cramp in the ball of your foot?
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #4896
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

First measured time and distance on the new skates.
10.14 miles
49 minutes
12.4 mph avg

fastest i have ever skated, by a good margin, even with pretty stiff wind. i guess speedness skates DO help a person go faster. :-) i am loving the much smoother ride as well.

took a preliminary pass at aligning the frames tonight after the skate. they came from the factory wayyyyy to the outside of where they should have been.
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #4897
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
Q: When you work your outside edges, if you aren't strong enough do you get a terrible cramp in the ball of your foot?
I've never experienced that, but it could be an indirect result. The strain should be on the outside of your calves as your ankles are called upon to do more work. Perhaps you tightened your skates more than usual as you felt your ankles/feet slop around more due to the lateral stress. The increased skate tightness could have led to the cramp.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #4898
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Congratulations on the relay win, Mark. See you in two weeks.
Thanks! See you in 11 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmaulher1138 View Post
this is really off subject but I noticed you are in port orchard. I live in Silverdale and skate with slaughter county roller vixens (roller derby). Do you coach at Skateland? I always try to keep up with those kids during fast skates and it is very challenging, they just fly! You guys have a great team! You should come to our next bout, I believe we are shooting for January. See ya later!!
Hi darth,
Yes, I'm the speed coach at Skateland. And thanks for the compliment about the team...With your comment about the fast skate, you must be trying to keep up with Andrew and JaPrea. I'm at the rink for Sunday night session.

Nov 5 Indoor speed

Distance and passing.

Nov 6 Off

Ended up sleeping in and having to drive into work.
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #4899
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
took a preliminary pass at aligning the frames tonight after the skate. they came from the factory wayyyyy to the outside of where they should have been.
I also have the K2 Radical 100 and have moving the frame all over the place to find the best spot. Currently I have the front between my big toe and second toe and in the back in the middle of the heel. I started making a longer carve to the side and the boot cuff started to rub into my ankle. It is sore at that spot now. How are your frames aligned? Do you have a similar problem with the boot rubbing your ankle during a carve?

Daniel
dcuper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #4900
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
2) Q: When you work your outside edges, if you aren't strong enough do you get a terrible cramp in the ball of your foot?
I tried doing the nettracing skate-on-your-outside-edges thing and I found myself clenching the bottom of my foot. I had to notice it and remember to relax it. Maybe you are doing something similar?