S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 24th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #1121
Derrick

Default Sunday at Roller Dome North

At the last minute I decided to wear my soft larger wheels. Good for skating on your toes. But bad for spins. Crowd was nice. My .dj friend just got w job wt the rink that I just visited inSothern Indiana. He is off to college and a full scolarship. Spose he'll be needing that pizza money though.
Old February 24th, 2017, 04:13 AM   #1122
Derrick

Default After School skate at Eastlake

Everything just felt right. Went to my harder art wheels. Crowd was larger than usual for this session, but that's still pretty light. There are some folks my age there although it's named an after School skate. I did jump some little waltzes. And spins were pretty good (for me). The music was most excellent, soft current pop. I danced like crazy.
Old February 27th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #1123
Derrick

Default Best Spin ever at Roller Dome North

Well one of them has to be the best, and I hit my best yet on Sunday. The requested song was, "Let it Go". Myself and couple of others were really screwing around with the super cheesiness of the tune. And I happened to hit my best spin to date.

I've been practicing getting the IB edge in my basement. That seems to have helped. Though I can't get very many revolutions in the small space.

But I had a really freat Sunday, I've been hitting all sorts of edges better lately. It was pretty crowded, but I don't mind. I like to see people who love to skate. It does cut down in the number of jumps ypu can do though. But there is always thursday for thwt sort of thing.
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #1124
Derrick

Default Thursday at Eastlake

Three sessions ago. Pretty stale in my brain. Pretty busy for a thursday. I don't mind though.
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #1125
Derrick

Default Saturday at Eastlake

Uh... dito, but a lot busies. In fact one of the busy sessions I've skated. Three birthday parties. But again I don't mind busy. I just can't get jumps in. But I don't really have to.
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:20 AM   #1126
Derrick

Default Freindly session at Roller Dome North Sunday

So everyone was glad to see me a very nice.
A boy about 10 yearold from the speed team says. Why haven't you been to practice, "Derrick". I didn't know he knew my name. A little strange to be called by my first name by a kid but ok, he was quite polite. I told that they were all much better than me. He says, "It's not important that your bette just that you try.". Then he went to recruit his friends to get me to come back to team practice. This kid is very good at speed, much faster than me.

Then the ceriomnial high fives to the regulars. It's kind of like the start of the work day in France. Go around office to office shaking hands before you start the day.

My other freinds see when I'm in a zone "not in THE zone". Then touch a shoulder as if they are going to pass. But then pass the other side as a funny. Once, Vince came and stood two inches from me spinning and touched my shoulder. I was on the tail of the spin so I was in control of the spin break (withouthsving an ankle break). So I laid out a clothesline and stopped the spin an inch from his neck. His eyes got really big then he laughed and speed off.

I like this rink best because the people will interact with you. The other rinks I go to usually have less interaction.
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #1127
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Roll On America 28Feb2017 Two Dollar Tuesday

Roll On America 28Feb2017 Two Dollar Tuesday
and a few notes on Other Skate Sessions.

Hi ALL, Geez I have been lucky on time thru 07March. Skated Thursday, Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday. Not near as long a time each session as a few years ago, nor as hard skating, yet still more than one hour.

Lately (late 2016 till now) Skate Wheels has been holding me back from doing all the moves I love and have done for years. I upgraded(or changed) to a Bones Turbo Wheel when I wanted to gain some more easy speed. Skating over at Skateland in Haverill, MA with the Boston area adults it is nice to have easy speed. They are a great wheel for the Chain Gang Skates and going forward. I do recommend them, depending on how you like to skate..

So I put on some old (softer) wheels on my back axles, on Saturday, since one of the moves I have recently felt uncomfortable with, is "Up on the Heels sideways". Done that one for years, and even with the Bones Turbos when I was skating 3 times a week, week after week. It was a bit more scary with the Bones yet I still was able to do it.

Initially on last Tuesday I felt a bit more sluggish; noticeably sluggish, yet that wore off and I could see that skating sideways going up on one heel and then another I was more confident and more firm to the floor. So I guess I am going to work my wheels to get back to where I want. I really wish I would buy two pairs of quads and take them with me, OK maybe 3 pairs, each to change to do stuff differently. Yet that takes time I don't have.

People Notes - - -
Saturday's little kid and dad. I was hoping that little kid who chased me and cheered for me on Saturday's skate would come with his dad on Tuesday. His dad said he at the young age of 40? would also like to skate, and I told him about Two Dollar Tuesday. That little kid has spirit, the spirit that is what is needed to skate hard and complex. He was going around with me moving his hands and body to the music. Poor skater yet getting there. BTW I do think I saw this young kid on Tuesday 3/7 yet did not stop to ask him.

South Australian Mom: At the time I was going, and the rink was being split so that the Derby Fresh Meat would have half the rink for I guess plow stop practice, A mom stopped and talked to me. In South Australia she was a Rink Rat that spent hours at the rink and really enjoyed seeing the stuff I did on this day's skate. It reminded her of all the fun she had 35 years ago, week after week. I told her how to buy skates cheap and COME Back Out. She did look healthy and fit for skating.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. So SO Nice to see the Derby gals again at sessions. Seems like it has been years when I could always count on them to come in early and work their skills. One tried to go sideways like I did and made it for 5 seconds. At least she is striving. This Tuesday 3/7 I gave one of the gals articles I have saved on Past Boston Derby Dames and Derby.
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #1128
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Roll On America 07Mar2017 Two Dollar Tuesday

Hi Again,

Just some other notes that seemed to fit better on another note.

This Tuesday I had several reasonable adult male skaters stop me and say "How Great it is to see you on that floor", you are awesome and exciting. Usually it is the women who talk to me about being exciting to watch, yet it is nice to see younger, father age, men talk to me. Who Knows maybe they will skate more.

Blame it on my wheel change up, bringing back the Old David. OK not completely yet getting there.

Now I think this is because at my age, almost their father's age I look approachable, which BTW I am.

P.S. BTW I do know that skating is different on different skate durometers, yet I just do not like spending the time managing my skates. My one friend, quite a good/great center floor skater, asked when I am going to get rid of my boots with Duct tape, and I said soon. I do have a new pair sitting at home without plates. Yet that takes time.
Old March 13th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #1129
Derrick

Default Sunday at Rollerdome

Sooo many birthdays. But it cleared up late in the session. Some little girl acused me of pushing her to the DJ. When the Dj said thwt guy has been coming here for five years why would he start pushing people now. Then it was, "oh maybe it was that other guy over there." hmmmmmm...

Well fortunately I wasn't near any accidents all session anyway.

I don't mind busy sessions too much, but the clearing at the end was super fun.
Old March 16th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #1130
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
The enterance to the skating floor were tiny, that didn't help.
There's another section that I eventually used further up; it's huge and people were darting on and off the one time a friend and I went. There's also no "stopping" area as you've probably noticed so unless you're reeeeaaally confident coming off the floor, you eat it. When my friend and I went last summer we saw many people eating it (busy Saturday night).
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #1131
Kassus

Finally made it back to Twin Lakes. Also finally got some new wheels to replace my aging wheels that had lost nearly all of their grip and realistically needed replaced. My old wheels (NOT my wheels that I wear here in town - I wear blue Cannibals at the rink here) were a Jerry 95A/96A combo. I decided to just go for it and got a set of Zombie Max 98A wheels and I'm really hoping I get them broken in soon; Saturday night I was sliding all over the place and this was on a hardwood floor. I did speak to the owner briefly after session and he mentioned that account of the low humidity (something that really only affects us here during winter; the rest of the year the humidity is usually pretty high) the floor was extra-slick tonight and that once I broke them in and the humidity returned to normal that I'd be fine. I've never skated on that hard of a duro before so this should be interesting. I didn't eat it, but I didn't really open it up all the way, either. I maintained a medium speed even during the songs that I wanted to just go for it.
Old March 21st, 2017, 03:57 AM   #1132
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Problems having Songs Played

Hi Kassus,

I had to think of something to post from a recent session past early March to post to your note. My mini session rule.

Have to figure out how song requests go into their computer at Roll On America. Many times in the past I requested songs and they do not get played. The DJ said he put them into the system, yet I suspect these young DJ's do not know how to bring requests up top to be played. An older guy now one of the managers did tell me, yet at the time I did not really pay attention. I mean sometimes the songs, one after another, are duds and I want to hear an old good one like Bailando
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUsoVlDFqZg

or So Many more like Tragedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVTOMkJdqs

To Get me to Go All Out, and bring my heart past legal limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
o - o I did speak to the owner briefly after session and he mentioned that account of the low humidity (something that really only affects us here during winter; the rest of the year the humidity is usually pretty high) the floor was extra-slick tonight o -o .
Makes no sense from my years of experience. Either the floor was dirty, or he kept the heat off till session and vapor condensed on the wood, or something else. When the floor has moisture on top is when you normally can not get any traction. With dirt you will know after one or two laps around and then looking at your wheels. Sometimes I am in a cleaning mode for most of a session, yet nothing like one time at Ron A Roll in Vernon CT, that floor was dirty till us skaters cleaned with our wheels.

Ask him how soon before session he turns up his heat. BTW this reminds me of a place in Michigan over a lake. Nice 2nd generation sisters that worked that place. Long Lake Roller Rink near Kalamazo. Due to the water underneath they had to continually trim the floor bringing in wood guys from Ann Arbor (If I remember right)

P.S. Due to our Snow Nor Easter, Clean Up, Last trimming of trees before spring and other have not skated this past week. Whoopie tomorrow.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:37 AM   #1133
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Ask him how soon before session he turns up his heat.
I will. The floor wasn't that dirty so you may be right on the heat issue. Thanks.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:45 AM   #1134
Kassus

New boots finally came in and my shuffle skating friend plated them for me. Tonight was my first night skating on them at my home rink. Dirty floor and I was sliding everywhere AND trying to break in new boots + kids falling everywhere all night = yikes!

Still VERY stiff even though I did condition them a few times before wear. I imagine it's going to take a while to break in. First pair of actual leather skates and not vinyl. Ended up getting the Riedell 595 model. Amazingly enough, the only really "sore" spot I had after the two-hour session was on my foot near my little toe where I broke my foot a few years ago.

I'm very happy with these boots already. They actually fit my feet and my foot and toes aren't swimming around.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:06 AM   #1135
Vampyre

Made it to the other main rink in town tonight. Only 1$ for out of county people with skates....Score. Bigger rink and better surface. Mainly same peeps I have seen at the rink close to my house, although they skate much faster here. My new skates are starting to break in well. Got a solid 2 hours.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:08 PM   #1136
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Roll On America (aka Fun America) 21Mar2017 2 Dollar Tuesday

Hi All,

Woopie, I got to skate finally after all that snow clean up from our NorEaster of 13/14March . I didn't realize I missed almost two weeks of skating.

Good yet polite crowd tonight. Sometimes scooter kids are a pain in the behind, yet tonight there was only one kid to watch. On entry to the rink, I was behind some Hispanics, at least I think they were, with their two sons who were bilingual. So after entry I asked the DJ to play some of the Spanish/Hispanic songs tonight that used to be played when the owners coined this 2 Dollar Taco Tuesday. The DJ (a great young blader) did a great job mixing in these songs.

I think it is nice to play some songs that (the non-speakers) can understand as they watch their kids. At least they come and watch their kids. They sat next to me on the table I chose to put my stuff on, which was just interesting.

Must have been Derby Advanced practice night, since some of them came early and skated. Of course maybe they were just picking up rink time. I couldn't tell yet it was nice to have their talents on the skate floor. Now I don't do all the moves in this song including the jumps and one foot stomps, yet several of the Derby gals used the song as an opportunity. The cha cha slide by Mr C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-197CEdCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZv62ShoStY

Also one Derby guy I used to skate with that is quite talented was skating with the gals and we did hand bumps. Nice guy who used to come Sunday before the rink got anal about great skaters skating on Sunday's matinee.

Anyway, Good Skate Good Rink..

P.S. Waiting to go on up sideways on my Heels AGAIN as for years.

P.S.-2 The Macarena. Now I did this while skating and used to do a jump or Turn at the end of the series. Yet we had some kids who took their shoes off and did it in the middle. In New Hampshire (Granite Skate) I used to skate with skaters who did this in the middle ON Skates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD0niYCQCRE
Gosh she does it good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzV63IRR8BQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Df-YjO8W8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD0niYCQCRE

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 23rd, 2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: The Macarana
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #1137
ascar larkinyar
Remebering how to rex

I skated first time in a long time. First 30 mins my brain had no problem remembering how to do this. The right foot (smart one) was a master, the left foot (the dumb awkward one) had me stumbling and almost falling.
after 2 hours I got some comfort back, but by then my knees hurt.
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #1138
Derrick

Default Met some Older Art Skaters returning to sessions

Thursday sessions are quite light. Last week I saw an older (older like me, older than the usual skater) do a little three turn at the end of the session. She was with three other older folks, one an older couple.

This week I told them how good that three turn was compared to mine (pulled and liftd at the same time). They all helped gave me some pointers, that really helped.

They said my IB spin enterance was just how they learned it, so I was happy with that.

So, made some new friends, but they said they are out for three weeks. Oh well, think I'm going to do a hometown skate tonight. weeeeeeeee
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #1139
Derrick

Default skated my home town last night

I din't usually do fridays, but it was pretty warm and that always clears thwt rink out.

It was a light crowd for a friday as expected.

A young boy that goes to middle school where I work in technology really wanted to talk and show how good he was getting. He had been going to sessions on sundays with my kids. I didn't really remember him, but kids get older and you din't recognize.

But he kept coming around wanting to talk skating a see how fast I could spin or show me his spin. Then he came with what appeared to be his besty and asked, "Do you know the Time Warp!". He said he was really into retro. I said yes, of course, and he said "I knew it!". He asked the dj, whom I think is about my age but she had no idea what "Rocky Horror Picture Show Was."

So the kid requested some 80's songs in my name. including, "Don't Stop Believing". (He doesn't realize how good Journey was good before that album). But he's right that was a good skate.
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:25 PM   #1140
Derrick

Default Saturday night third day staight weeeeeeeeeee.......

When I was yound I thought it very important at one point to learn to juggle two balls in one hand. Another time I decided it was very important to be able to break two eggs (one in each hand) at the same time. Same thing with things like spinning a basketball on your finger, walking the dog with a yo-yo, catch a frisbee behind your back, hula hooping (which I just finally got) etc. etc. etc.... Still can't ride that darn unicycle though.

Well I've seen kids want to sakte backwards, spin, dance on their toes, fast shuffle, slow shuffle, rex. But this one boy about 6 or 7 decided it was very important to learn to skate with his eyes closed