S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old February 21st, 2014, 11:02 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default :) Hello, I am a recovering quads skater...

After some time I finally made the decision to quit the quads and am now finding I can do nearly everything I could do on quads with inlines. I especially like the great traction and no tuning part of inlines. I mean sure you have to get your boot aligned properly to your frame, select you frame length and size then determine which boot to use. After that you have so much more to think about than adjusting trucks and changing wheels every time the weather changes.
So far no wheel changes needed but looking at running 91a's next just to see how much more roll there is to be had. Inlines are getting fun now.
Are there many other converts out there?
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:30 PM   #2
WJCIV

I think I was the first on my speed team to try inlines sometime around 1995. By 1999 I was actually specializing on quads, which even then was really rare for speed skating. At this point I do quads for session and inlines for practice, but I race both. Actually I tried to pick up a third practice a week with a second team to get one day a week in quads, but it turns out that team needed a coach more than another skater.

I agree that the adjustments are easier. Finding the perfect frame alignment can be a little tricky, but you can usually tell if it is wrong within 5 fast laps, and once it is right it is right. If you really push for maximum speed there is some art to selecting the right wheels. 91A is pretty soft for indoors, but may be the right choice in cold weather or a floor that hasn't been coated in a year.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:27 AM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
I think I was the first on my speed team to try inlines sometime around 1995. By 1999 I was actually specializing on quads, which even then was really rare for speed skating. At this point I do quads for session and inlines for practice, but I race both. Actually I tried to pick up a third practice a week with a second team to get one day a week in quads, but it turns out that team needed a coach more than another skater.

I agree that the adjustments are easier. Finding the perfect frame alignment can be a little tricky, but you can usually tell if it is wrong within 5 fast laps, and once it is right it is right. If you really push for maximum speed there is some art to selecting the right wheels. 91A is pretty soft for indoors, but may be the right choice in cold weather or a floor that hasn't been coated in a year.
On my quads I usually ran 96a. At different floors faster grips. Never saw a soft wheel work on loose floors better than those.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:42 AM   #4
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I got quite good on quads back when. I was on the speed team, hung out at the rink etc....

I went to blades and never went back. Night and day control difference. Especially with my discipline. With that said, there are some forum members here who can kick my skatepark ass in a pair of quads.

It's not the skate so much as the skater. Until you get over 100mm. Those guys fly.....
Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:44 AM   #5
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Ferocious1, are you hitting up the trails?
Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:42 AM   #6
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Ferocious1, are you hitting up the trails?
Trails are 40 miles away..... and none where I live. There are two small parks where I live. One has a walking track and the other has two medium sized pavilians. The small rink in town stopped sunday session completely. I can now skate tuesday through thursday if im not too tired after my 12 hour work shift.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

What kind of in-lines do you have?
Wheel size, durometer etc...
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:33 PM   #8
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
What kind of in-lines do you have?
Wheel size, durometer etc...
At present I have several frames to choose from but my favorite is ultra challenge on a Saloman 3x90+84. 85 duro. I have larger frames but need to sharpen up on my skills befor going back to them. 5x90mm, 4x90 and 3x110+100
Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Nice. I have a few 4x90's and a 5x84.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:12 PM   #10
fierocious1

Won a set of Mogema 4x90 frames last night on ebay. Will take 100s as well, barely I figure. We will see when they get here.
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #11
fierocious1

Default I cannot believe it took this long

for me to quit quads to do this right. Improving every day I skate now. Skated about 3 hours yesterday and had a blast. Glad I started this over with smaller wheels and a shorter frame. 90s are an awesome wheel for playing at the rink. A few more months, maybe 6 or so then I'll move up to longer frames and give them a go again. I have a variety of 90mm frames of different length to try out. So far the Salomans being the shortest are the most fun. The Mogema frame is also fun but slower to turn at a 12.4 length wheelbase. Closing in on skating more relaxed as I did on quads. A persons muscles have a lot of learning to do when going this route. A lot of ANTI-INLINE habits have to go away. Also the loads on your feet are so different that you always feel off balance on the inlines if you still skate the quads. So the quads gotta go! My left foot has taken it's time forgetting the centerline loading offset on my heels. So now it feels right when I skate. I feel that this is most noticeable if you are a skater that turns and carves a lot... slicing through traffic. Straight up skaters will not notice it as much IMO.
The switch is totally worth it.