S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #1
one_eyed_slugger

Default Need Help Getting Away From ABT

Hi,

I have to admit, I'm one of those long standing loyal customers of the ABT Braking system. But seeing as how those are almost non-existent now, I figured I needed to transition into the standard braking system. How do you think the transition from ABT to standard braking will be. What would be a good brand to "break" into (totally intended pun). :-). I'm just afraid I'm going to almost have to relearn skating again. I'm an intermediate skater I'd say at the moment skating on Rollerblade ABT Lite skates.

Melanie
one_eyed_slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #2
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_eyed_slugger View Post
Hi,

I have to admit, I'm one of those long standing loyal customers of the ABT Braking system. But seeing as how those are almost non-existent now, I figured I needed to transition into the standard braking system. How do you think the transition from ABT to standard braking will be. What would be a good brand to "break" into (totally intended pun). :-). I'm just afraid I'm going to almost have to relearn skating again. I'm an intermediate skater I'd say at the moment skating on Rollerblade ABT Lite skates.

Melanie
Should not be to different but now you need to lift the toe of the breaking foot.
Something like this.
Break foot forward, most of your weight on the other foot, lift the toe of the break foot until you feel the break touch the ground, start to "sit down" This should push the break foot a bit more forward and start breaking. Adjust the pressure on the break by how much you "sit" and push on the breaking foot.

Edit: It can help to hold your arms out in front hands down.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #3
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Should not be to different but now you need to lift the toe of the breaking foot.
Something like this.
Break foot forward, most of your weight on the other foot, lift the toe of the break foot until you feel the break touch the ground, start to "sit down" This should push the break foot a bit more forward and start breaking. Adjust the pressure on the break by how much you "sit" and push on the breaking foot.

Edit: It can help to hold your arms out in front hands down.
Slowsk8 has the right idea, the only real difference is whether you lift your toe. Buy replacement skates, practice. That should about do it. You will probably find it won't be hard to replicate especially since a lot of the bigger wheel skates put the brake pad closer to the ground than with previous models.
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I advise you ditch any brake "pads" and start to learn how to carve to scrub your speed, such as spin stops/slalom/ dragging wheels like a T stop.

I can stop about 3-4 times faster when using my wheels instead of a traditional brake. Be it ABT, or the ole toe lifting style. I'm litterally talking about stoppin in 6 feet instead of 20-24 feet when traveling at moderate to high speeds(18-24 mph)

Also when the brake is removed you can pivot on the heel of a skate, somethin hat isnt achievable when that cumbersome thin is in your way.
Old May 16th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #5
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I advise you ditch any brake "pads" and start to learn how to carve to scrub your speed, such as spin stops/slalom/ dragging wheels like a T stop.

I can stop about 3-4 times faster when using my wheels instead of a traditional brake. Be it ABT, or the ole toe lifting style. I'm litterally talking about stoppin in 6 feet instead of 20-24 feet when traveling at moderate to high speeds(18-24 mph)

Also when the brake is removed you can pivot on the heel of a skate, somethin hat isnt achievable when that cumbersome thin is in your way.
I agree with Mort that it is valuable to develop these skills, but based on the kind of skating you do (very long distance trail skating), I don't think it would be bad to skate with a brake while you learn the other skills.
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:24 AM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
I agree with Mort that it is valuable to develop these skills, but based on the kind of skating you do (very long distance trail skating), I don't think it would be bad to skate with a brake while you learn the other skills.
Lol yea. Keep the brake until you start to use spin/slalom/hockey style stops from reaction. Otherwise you may instinctively toe up or a brake that isnt there.

Once yoj learn these skills though you will look at heel brakes lik that as complete garbage. Plow stopping if done right is at least twice as fast.

Tags
abt, brakes