S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 23rd, 2017, 02:12 PM   #1
spdkls

Default 125 wheels

So I was looking for options and found this. I ranted on FB about how none of the companies are promoting these for training/fitness. I ordered a set of of Infinity II wheels for $71(coupon code)out the door w/ 2day shipping. If they don't work(outdoor), then I'm not out a bunch of cash.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/searc...opt_perpage=20
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 03:28 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I hope they're better than the red Megacruisers, because those were heavy and wobbly. And you can get them for $66.25, shipped for a set of 6 with code SAVE15.

(and thanks to finding that coupon, I grabbed a set of XFirm MPC Black Tracks for $153, shipped. Woo Hoo!)
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 02:03 PM   #3
spdkls

https://shop.bont.com/products/125mm...c-hardcore-2-0

I don't care if they some with "correct" spacers. $39 per wheel is ridiculous.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:41 PM   #4
kentek

Default ..and

There is a special AAA policy that will send the AAA truck over to change them for you.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:33 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Two new manufacturing players for the 125mm market with 4 new wheels:

MOTA:
Amped Hybrid (Indoor/Outdoor):
http://motaskates.com/product/amped-...inline-wheels/
$96 / set of 6!
(free set of bearings w/ full wheel set purchase)

ATOM:
Boom Magic (basically an MPC wheel w/ Atom Urethane):
http://www.atomskates.com/atom-boom-magic.html
$179.70 / set of 6

Boom Road (similar to the Boom Magic, but a different hub):
http://www.atomskates.com/atom-boom-road.html
$95.70 / set of 6!

Matrix:
http://www.atomskates.com/matrix.html
$77.70 / set of 6!
Multiple color hub options

I ordered a set of the Boom Road to see if they're any good as an indoor practice wheel. If not, they'll serve as an outdoor training wheel. You can't beat the price of the MOTA and ATOM Road and Matrix wheels.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 02:50 PM   #6
spdkls

And you definitely can't beat the free bearings with the MOTA's.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:25 PM   #7
gsloop

Default Mota hardness comparison

Does anyone have an idea how hard the Mota wheels are?
"Firm" doesn't tell me a lot. [And the fact that they're specing them in the listing as for both indoor and outdoor doesn't give me much confidence.]

Ideally, I'd like them to be similar to the Mayhem 85a. [The 87A Mayhems were too hard. They were not horrible, but I was likely faster on the 85's - so why skate something harder that doesn't improve performance.]

Plus, I'm getting old and picky. I'd rather have a smoother roll even if it did cost me some speed.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:05 PM   #8
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsloop View Post
"Firm" doesn't tell me a lot. [And the fact that they're specing them in the listing as for both indoor and outdoor doesn't give me much confidence.]

Ideally, I'd like them to be similar to the Mayhem 85a. [The 87A Mayhems were too hard. They were not horrible, but I was likely faster on the 85's - so why skate something harder that doesn't improve performance.]

Plus, I'm getting old and picky. I'd rather have a smoother roll even if it did cost me some speed.
. . . in a Facebook post, Doug Glass said they're 88a. Seems a bit hard for a Firm wheel.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 08:41 PM   #9
kufman

Quote:

You need a little bit harder wheel when you go to 3 so 88a isn't terrible.

Quote:
. . . in a Facebook post, Doug Glass said they're 88a. Seems a bit hard for a Firm wheel.
A bit hard for an outdoor firm and a bit soft for an indoor firm.

The hub on the Mota concerns me a bit. I hope they hold up. I want to see an actual picture of a Boom 125 before I consider buying them. The picture posted above is not a real 125, just a 100 or 110 that has been photoshopped to say 125 on it.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 08:53 PM   #10
whiskey02

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post
And you definitely can't beat the free bearings with the MOTA's.
Don't know what bearing are included but Mota abec 7's are quite nice.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #11
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
The picture posted above is not a real 125, just a 100 or 110 that has been photoshopped to say 125 on it.
From what Gypsy told me at our meet. The Boom will be the MPC 125 hub.
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:29 AM   #12
gsloop

Quote:
You need a little bit harder wheel when you go to 3 so 88a isn't terrible.
I hadn't considered that. Any guess how much harder? Would an 85a 110mm be about the same as an 86a 125?

Or even harder, say 87a?

Like I noted, I can certainly handle the 87a Mayhems, but the 85's were at least as fast, IMO - and a lot more comfy. [And I think the 85a Mayhems were softer than the 85a would have made them seem. They were way softer than 85a mints, for example. Certainly the 87a Mayhems were vastly softer than 87a Pinks - at least in how I perceived them.]

I guess the take-away is that how hard they are is quite subjective.

Anyone skate the street-fights? [Yeah, sucky single band at $20 each...]

The last couple of years, I've managed to snag deals on flea-bay for nice-yet-cheap wheels, and the prospect of paying $200 a set [which is more than I paid for the Bont Z's I'm skaing on now!] is giving me heart palpitations.

Open to suggestions...

-Greg
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:45 AM   #13
panch0

Good thread! I'm lacking knowledge in the topic of pouring the urethane in one layer or two layers or whatever it is that they do. I also see the hardness as quite a subjective topic... specially because here in Miami I skate in a rough road so I don't feel a big difference between a 86, 88 or whatever else there might be.

I do like a wheel that wears out consistently and gives me a good training ride. I rather pay $200 for a wheel with good qualities than $100 for a wheel that has poor roll and will wear out unevenly.

So far I've skated 1600 miles with my Matter blue One20Five (first generation) and my MPC Black Magic (1000 miles so far). I'm happy with both rides and don't find a significant difference with both brands.

I'd be more than willing to try other brands as long as they have good qualities. I enjoy a quality ride on a day to day basis and would love to spend less than the 200-180$$ that I spend for MPC or Matter
Old March 6th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #14
kufman

Quote:
I hadn't considered that. Any guess how much harder? Would an 85a 110mm be about the same as an 86a 125?

Or even harder, say 87a?

Like I noted, I can certainly handle the 87a Mayhems, but the 85's were at least as fast, IMO - and a lot more comfy. [And I think the 85a Mayhems were softer than the 85a would have made them seem. They were way softer than 85a mints, for example. Certainly the 87a Mayhems were vastly softer than 87a Pinks - at least in how I perceived them.]

I guess the take-away is that how hard they are is quite subjective.

The last couple of years, I've managed to snag deals on flea-bay for nice-yet-cheap wheels, and the prospect of paying $200 a set [which is more than I paid for the Bont Z's I'm skaing on now!] is giving me heart palpitations.

Open to suggestions...

-Greg
My guess would be 2 harness points might be about right. Still trying to figure that one out.

I have been using the 125mm Street Fights when I skate outdoors. I have the X-Firm hardness which measure around 84a on my tester. They roll really well for that hardness but the rough pavement really gets to my feet. Not sure if it is the wheels or just an intrinsic property of skating on 3 wheels. My other 125's are Megacruisers and they don't work well either on the rough pavement.

My heart is in agreement with yours when it comes to wheel pricing
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:59 AM   #15
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
I want to see an actual picture of a Boom 125 before I consider buying them. The picture posted above is not a real 125, just a 100 or 110 that has been photoshopped to say 125 on it.
I have a set due to arrive this Thursday. I'll post a photo when they get here.
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #16
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:

The last couple of years, I've managed to snag deals on flea-bay for nice-yet-cheap wheels, and the prospect of paying $200 a set [which is more than I paid for the Bont Z's I'm skaing on now!]
I tried the Street Fights indoors and they were awful on our slippery floor. Not smooth at all and slow as heck. Don't know how they'd do outdoor, but I wasn't impressed.

I snagged a set of 125mm Black Magic wheels for $153, shipped from Inline Warehouse not too long ago. That's much better than the MSRP of $30
per wheel.
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:22 PM   #17
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I tried the Street Fights indoors and they were awful on our slippery floor. Not smooth at all and slow as heck. Don't know how they'd do outdoor, but I wasn't impressed.

I snagged a set of 125mm Black Magic wheels for $153, shipped from Inline Warehouse not too long ago. That's much better than the MSRP of $30
per wheel.
I tried them indoors as well and they had no grip. 11 sec laps was about the limit of what they could do. For me, they rolled pretty good but I am only 145 lbs. However, you can feel every spoke in the hub.
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #18
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
I want to see an actual picture of a Boom 125 before I consider buying them. The picture posted above is not a real 125, just a 100 or 110 that has been photoshopped to say 125 on it.
Well, here you go. The photo was accurate. They weigh in just below a Matter 125mm:
Old March 9th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #19
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Well, here you go. The photo was accurate. They weigh in just below a Matter 125mm:
The picture above was representative but not accurate as it was a picture of a 100mm wheel with "125" shopped in. You can tell by comparing the relative size of the bearing hub with the overall diameter of the wheel.

Anyway, looks like a nice wheel and the weight is nice as well. Give them a test and let us know what you think.
Old March 9th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #20
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
The picture above was representative but not accurate as it was a picture of a 100mm wheel with "125" shopped in. You can tell by comparing the relative size of the bearing hub with the overall diameter of the wheel.

Anyway, looks like a nice wheel and the weight is nice as well. Give them a test and let us know what you think.
My initial testing will be indoors, as I'm looking for indoor practice wheels.

I've sold all of my Matter Lethal-X wheels, because they just don't work well for me. So, I even compete on Matter outdoor wheels (Code Whites).