S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old July 21st, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Dekindy

Default What to expect from class

I need to learn to skate fast but do not want to compete in speed skating.

A local speed skating class is being offered and I would like to attend.

How do I know if I am ready for a speed skating class? I can skate forward, on one skate, and do crossovers in both directions and I am learning to skate backwards and starting to do edging and crossovers. I am also learning Mohawks.

How is a typical speed skating class run? What should I expect as a beginner?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 08:01 PM   #2
shesk8

A few things to consider. Even if self-taught, most skaters will benefit from going thru the learning curve from Basic skating then moving towards Speedskating. Good coaches/skate instructors will move you thru basics first(even though some thing may seem repetitive), so that you can learn terminology and skating concepts, along with technique and movements properly. What I've come to learn in all my years skating... Darn near everybody in this sport feels they are a qualified coach, self-appointed experts, ...sigh, some are/many are not. Generally, those that are not, will be easily recognized by their uncontrollable urge of unsolicited commentary about your skating, they are insistently compelled to point out your technique flaws, issues, etc... while at same time you can watch them skate away making numerous technical mistakes. I am personally an advocate of taking classes/lessons from person(s) who are invested into the sport, those whom have actually gone thru formalized training and as result are qualified to teach. Those who invest into skating, and take the time to get trained and certified, and/or even run businesses as coaches will be very knowledgeable resources as compared to those who maybe have decent skating skills and simply passing on what they know by proclaiming to be a coach (with really nothing to back that up). Those folks are out there soliciting money for more/less their interpretations of skating, some even claiming to be a coaching business yet do not even bother to register themselves and obtain a business license as a trainer. So, that all said, it's best to check credentials, and verify if they indeed know their stuff, and are certified thru a known skating certification program, have insurance, and possess a business license for coaching/teaching. To verify certifications, check for the coaching registrations with eather: ICP, USARS, or ISA programs.

Rinks that hire coaches who are not certified are placing themselves at risks.
Ask for coaching credentials, and the specifics on the programs they teach too, so that you know what to expect in signing up for their classes.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote