S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:17 PM   #21
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
The mounts were moved outside so the wheels can channel in the center. It's not about a lower deck height. You can never be lower than the wheel.
Definitely it's not about lower deck height... AND totally agree that you can never be lower than the wheel which is my point with the "channel"... why make a "channel" if the boot is still going to be placed in the same space? The wheel is not really going through the channel. The 2 bolt Trinity block on the boot, occupies the same spot as the regular 1 bolt front block. So if the front wheel is not going through the channel, than I don't see the point of the Trinity front block.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 09:15 PM   #22
sxevegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
So if the front wheel is not going through the channel, than I don't see the point of the Trinity front block.
I don't really see the point either. Doesn't seem like an advantage at all for 3x125. I don't think I ever had clearance issues in that spot with 4x110 or 4x100 either, but maybe it would be helpful. Back in the 5x84 days i do remember having to mount my frames just right so that the 2nd wheel wouldn't rub on the mounting bolt, but i think those days area behind us.

I think it's mostly marketing. Companies have to find new ways to sell new equipment. To me, this is similar to the Matter Propel hub, which is also a Powerslide product. They must have an outside-the-box thinker on their development team. Both products seem to be built different, just for the sake of being different; but maybe I'm wrong. I haven't skated on either product, so I can only make a guess that there is no noticeable benefit. I'm sure both products will win lots of medals though, since they have dominant skaters on their team that will win on whatever equipment they are paid to wear.

Years ago i did have a front mounting block issue on some Hyper boots. I think the same thing happened on my Verducci boots too, actually. The carbon around the mounting block broke on both. This was 15 or so years ago, and I think modern boots are probably made better, but if not, this solution could take some stress off the traditional front mounting block and allow the boots to last longer.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:24 AM   #23
journeyman

Default stability

The advantage of the trinity system is stability.
They say it about a dozen times in the you tube video.
Your boots are strong.
Your frames are strong.
The weak point is where they are fastened together.
The small m6 bolt fastening the frame cross member to the frame allows for some movement, especially for a strong skater on 125s.
If you have ever had a loose frame bolt, you saw how much a little bit of play robbed your speed.
The trinity system is more solid and has small rounded gussets where the frame meets the mounting plate.

Last edited by journeyman; August 3rd, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:13 PM   #24
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
Your boots are strong.
Your frames are strong.
The small m6 bolt fastening the frame cross member to the frame allows for some movement, especially for a strong skater on 125s.
If you have ever had a loose frame bolt, you saw how much a little bit of play robbed your speed.
The trinity system is more solid and has small rounded gussets where the frame meets the mounting plate.
If you are pushing correctly and directly into your skates, there is almost no torsion on the mounting blocks in the first place. Looks like a marketing ploy more than anything else.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:24 PM   #25
Krulle

Quote:
quick calculation

skater puts 80kg of force
let's say this is 130mm away from the bolt. The frame works as a lever, and pivots 5mm next to the bolt.
The force is taken by 2 bolts.
The bolts have 6mm length that can be streched

Then the bolt will become 0.016mm longer if the frame was infinitely strong.

Since the aluminum is a lot less strong (72GPa compared to 200GPa). it will take a high share of the deformation on the top surface of the frames.

So a well tightened bolt will make sure that the frame stays in it place.
That is also why you are more likely to crack the frame near thet boot than the bolt.

Bolts only crack if they have not been secured properly.

What I think is that this prevents cheaper plastic boots (not the racing boots) from cracking.
Krulle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 07:10 PM   #26
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krulle View Post
What I think is that this prevents cheaper plastic boots (not the racing boots) from cracking.
Very possible.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 03:15 AM   #27
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxevegan View Post
I think it's mostly marketing..... They must have an outside-the-box thinker on their development team.
I concur!!

Quote:
Let me tell you... if I have to listen to one more Powerslide video and their robotic pitch about how grandiose they are... I'm going to be breaking some f'kin' wheels!
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #28
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
I concur!!

Let me tell you... if I have to listen to one more Powerslide video and their robotic pitch about how grandiose they are... I'm going to be breaking some f'kin' wheels!
Ooooor, they'll show you a new wheel, but not actually the wheel doing anything. No vid of anybody skating. Just the wheel...spinning.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #29
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post
Ooooor, they'll show you a new wheel, but not actually the wheel doing anything. No vid of anybody skating. Just the wheel...spinning.
HAHAHAHA....... I kid you not... I'm coming straight here from my FB where I saw the new green hubbed wheel....SPINNING! With of course another self declared grandiose comment about themselves! Hahaha!