S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Lester Burnham

Default Question about Powerslide Cell II FSK frames...

I've had a pair of Powerslide Cell II skates for a good few years, now (mine, I understand, are the 2005 model, and I've got a second, new, unused pair in the loft 'cos a skate shop was selling them off cheaply, recently).

I know in comparison to, say, Salomon's FSK frames, people have criticised the frames on the Cell IIs as weak, but I've always found them to be ideal for me, as well as allowing bigger wheels than at most of the Salomon FSK frames (I've got a couple of pairs of Salomon ex-aggressive skates, running FSK 237 frames), they also have rocker washers on all axles - or at least I assumed they all did. Both pairs of my 2005 / original Cell IIs did, anyways.

I bought a used Powerslide FSK frame, recently, to put on another pair of skates I'm building up - it looks the same, albeit with a different colourscheme. Here's a pic of my Cell IIs, and below the new frame:-

It's obviously still from the same type of skate, although I'm guessing a later year. The axles aren't rockerable. But the wheels as stock, seemed to be installed oddly - which is really why I'm posting here, really - I'm guessing there must be some difference in axle height. I've got several pairs of inline hockey skates, plus a couple of skates with Salomon FSK 237 frames on, so I'm no stranger to hi-lo setups, I just wanted to find out if anybody knew for sure what the deal is with this particular frame.

My original Cell IIs with the black frame in the photo, came as stock with 84mm wheels, installed flat. As mentioned, all the axles are rockerable (4 positions) but I've installed 80mm wheels in the front and rear positions, as I prefer some rocker, and I don't have loads of 84mm wheels.

The lower frame in the picture I've just bought, seems to have all the stock wheels in, in 2 sizes: 82mm (which I can't say as I've seen before) and 80mm. I assumed that the order had been messed with and it was incorrect, but I'm not truly sure, so any experts would be welcome, here. I've altered the position of the wheels to be 80 82 82 80 (I think when they came to me, the front was 82, and an 80 was in the 2nd position).

Putting them on a flat surface, shows more than I'd expect in front rocker (given only a 2mm difference in wheel size) and a very slight rocker at the rear - that's probably as I'd prefer them (although haven't installed them on the boot I'm using them on, yet, so haven't skated on them).

But I just wanted to check whether there's something I'm not getting, here - because a) the front rocker, with only a 2mm difference in wheel size, is a lot more than I'd have expected, and b) it confused me with them arriving with an 82 in the front and an 80 in position 2 (from the front).

Anyone know about these frames / axle positions and wheel sizes? There's nothing on the frames, like you'd sometimes see on hockey frames, showing the wheel sizes and positions.

Last edited by Lester Burnham; March 25th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Lester Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell, fsk, powerslide, rocker, ufs