S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old April 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default bearings(inner race comparisons)

I'm looking for a bearing with the thickest inner race possible. No machined lips on the inner races if you will. This will be for a fixed bearing and spacer assembly, as such I'm looking for the strongest thickest innner race possible.

I recently was going to MOD my RBT's but chose not to because I didn't have a set of bearings I wanted to use.

Qube juices are out and probably their entire line because of the way the inner races are machined for their seals. I am highly interested in the qube 8balls. Since they use smaller balls which would leave a little more material on the inner race. Though I don't want to buy a set of bearings just to find it was a waste of time. It would be nice if they didn't machine their inner races and just used a better seal.

Since I know you handle tons of the little buggars you may very well be the best guy to ask.

Other canidates are bones line as they seem to have a inner raceway that isnt cut into.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default 8mm??

The 37K 8 ball Fafnirs (7mm) have a huge inner race. The 8mm 38K has the same one with a bigger hole. The OG 8mm 8ball Qube with the shields instead of seals has no steps either. As far as currently available?? The 8mm Qube Juices have no step on the back side. That may be your best bet. I may stumble across others.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I have a set of juices. They have a 1.25mm thick inner race where a portion of the inner race is machined away for the seal. What they should have done is used a different seal. The side without a seal is still thin. I believe I have pictures in my RBT thread on a few raceways with both sides of those juices coming in at under 2 mm.

I know fafnir bearings use smaller shields instead of machining the inner races away, but they are all old stock, and I dont believe they have easily removeable shields, which is important. I gotta be able to open up the bearing to flush them out during cleaning.

What sucks about fafnir(owned by timken) is they dont even bother making 608's anymore. I called them up about sourcing some nice bearings and ran into a dead end. :/

I'll keep looking for a good canidate.