S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old September 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #1
dacoornl

Default Alchemy Freeskate ALC600

Hello,

My first post on this forum. I'm also quite a newbie in slalom cone skating. The other night I bumped into the Alchemy's Freeskate ALC600. It's specs seem to fit the needs of SCS, but the odd thing is... can't find any reviews or user experience about this skate.

So my question, does anyone know anything about this skate? Is it ok for SCS?

Looking forward to your replies.

Regards,
Dacoor
dacoornl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #2
stacy

Huh. I've never heard of that skate before. I'm guessing it's pretty new on the market. Based on looking at one picture, I'd say it reminds me of the Twister.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
dacoornl

According to the British manufacturer it's available since Spring 2008. I found a webshop or three (UK) that sell these skates. But no reviews.

They look like they're fit for SCS so I'm curious if there're people who tried the ALC600's and what their experiences are.
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #4
stacy

You might want to try asking on serpentineroad.com. That's the main British slalom forum, I'm guessing if anyone has heard of these, it's them.
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #5
dacoornl

Tnx stacy, I will. I subscribed, membership awaits authorization.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:29 AM   #6
verona42
Midnight Skater

Lightbulb Good for the money but you get what you pay for...

Heya man,

I work in a skate store in London which deals with the distributor for Alchemy skates so I've had a fair blast on the ALC600s bfore we ordered them in to the store. They're pretty new and they're still undergoing some little changes here and there but as a whole they're not bad at all for £120 (GBP) rrp.

The main point is that the ALC600s are supposed to be an affordable alternative/copy to Seba FR1s (which, lets face it, are pretty expensive!). The main differences I noticed between them and my own FR1s is:

1) They're lighter
2) The wheels come set up rockered (really weird when you're not expecting it! 4x80mm and 4x76mm
3) The ratchet strap isn't quite as sturdy
4) The boot is a narrow fit compared to the Sebas

Overall, they're decent skates but you get what you pay for in terms of quality (ie. £120 vs £200) so if you're a serious player then stick to the usual high end stuff...

P.S. If you're interested in aggressive also then check on the FKL1 by alchemy, it's essentially agressive FR1s. Beautiful pieces of kit and sooooo light...
verona42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM   #7
verona42
Midnight Skater

Talking

The answer that I meant to give you there was yes, they are good for Slalom and freestyle right out of the box. Got a bit sidetracked there!
verona42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #8
domsablos

what are the wheels and bearings like? how's the liner worn in? inquiring minds need to know!
domsablos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:39 PM   #9
dacoornl

Thanks for your reply verona
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:56 AM   #10
Skate50

I have been running these skates regularly for about 4 months...

1. For my size 13 (US) they are the best I've tried.
2. For me, they are better than the SEBA HIGH.
- The frame is 5mm further forward, so my toe does not scrape the ground. I wore all the way through the SEBA in about 50 hours.
- They are about 30% lighter.
- They are easier to put on & take off.
- SEBA cuff broke after about 20 hours of use.
- The Alchemy can take an Aggressive Skate Liner replacement
- They are about 1/2 the cost of the SEBA
- The SEBA looks better in my junk pile
3. They are better than RB Twisters
- The frame is not black. I prefer aluminum color.
- They are slightly lighter
- They have a standard 165mm frame mount. (Twisters=184mm?)
- The fasteners may seem flimsy, but they have lasted longer that RB's.
- They are easier to heat-mold.
- They have a standard 243mm frame. Twister '08s are 250mm

Negatives:
- They are not the most popular slalom skate - Go to SEBA for that.
- The availability of replacement buckles etc. are unknown. (Some Twister parts are also impossible to find, so I just improvised a mod from another model to replace the Twister instep strap.)
- The Frame is perfectly adequate, but the SEBA Frame is a higher quality; thicker and more polished.
- The wheels are really light, but they lasted me about 10 hours. (I use a full set of wheels every month, so this does not matter to me.)
- I don't know what bearings they came with, but I get good quality bearings from vxb.com - very inexpensive. I always keep 3 sets ready to use.
- The liners are well made, but I could not get them broken in. (I am now using a SIFIKA EVO SL-415 LINER, and this seems to work far better.)
- The cuff might offer too much lateral flexibility for new skaters, but I like it.
- As with the Twisters, the boot squeaks like a new shoe. (Solid ABS Boots.)
- These are inexpensive skates - don't expect to impress snobby skaters.

Overall, this is a good slalom skate, a good value, and a sensible purchase. I like them and will probably buy another pair long before my current Alchemy's wear out. I know others have had good luck with SEBA, but for me and my size 13's, Alchemy is far better. [I have logged about 1,000 hours of slalom skating in the last 3 years. Twisters lasted about 600 hours, SEBA, with many repairs, lasted about 150 hours.]

My Overall Ranking:
1. Alchemy
2. Twister
3. SEBA

I buy from prolineskates.com who give me fantastic service. I got my SEBA's and my Alchemy's there. Somehow they get them to me in Northern California in less than a week!

Good luck.
- Skate50
Skate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM   #11
domsablos

(and to answer my own question)

After you replace the liner, wheels, bearings and buckle (which requires hacking and drilling btw) not only do you not have much of the original skate left the frame is non-standard and doesn't fit a full set of 80mm wheels. You've also probably spent as much as you would on the Seba's.

If you want cheaper skates get the old twisters which are the same price as the alchemys while they last, hell get the twisters anyway i like them as much as the Seba's, some of the top Korean skaters use twisters, and the option of the heel break is allways handy. No way am i doing the Barcelona skate without a bit of rubber on my heel.

Last edited by domsablos; May 9th, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:20 AM   #12
Skate50

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsablos View Post
(and to answer my own question)

After you replace the liner, wheels, bearings and buckle (which requires hacking and drilling btw) not only do you not have much of the original skate left the frame is non-standard and doesn't fit a full set of 80mm wheels. You've also probably spent as much as you would on the Seba's.

If you want cheaper skates get the twisters which are the same price as the fusions, hell get the twisters anyway i like them as much as the Seba's, some of the top Korean skaters use twisters, and the option of the heel break is allways handy. No way am i doing the Barcelona skate without a bit of rubber on my heel.
Not so fast...

I replaced the wheels and bearings on the SEBA just as much as any other skate. Wheels and bearings are almost irrelevant for a skate purchase. The boot and frame are what really matter.

You are wrong. The frame (243mm) does absolutely fit a full set of 80mm wheels. Hoewever, as any experienced slamom skater knows, unless you use a pre-rockered setup, you don't use 4x80mm anyway. You use 76-80-80-76)

Heel brake? What the HeII are you talking about? Slalom skaters don't use brakes.

I replaced the buckle on the TWISTER after about 400 hours. I also replaced the cheap liner that came with the TWISTER. My alchemy buckles are holding up just fine. The SEBA cuff is junk.

I replaced the liner in the Alchemy because I have a wide foot and the SIFIKA is a thiner liner in the toe box.

My only additional expense for the Alchemy was the $30 I spent on the liner. Even so, the Alchemy is cost me $200 less than the SEBA and is a better skate (Boot and frame) for me. Alchemy is about the same proce as the Twister, but has a better frame and a lighter boot.

If you want SEBA, buy SEBA. It's your money.

If you want to know about the Alchemy, re-read my posting.

-Skate50
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #13
domsablos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate50 View Post
I replaced the wheels and bearings on the SEBA just as much as any other skate. Wheels and bearings are almost irrelevant for a skate purchase. The boot and frame are what really matter.
To me this seems like an odd thing to do, the Seba wheels are some of the better slalom wheels on the market, what exactly do you replace them with?

you're right that you shouldn't buy a pair of skates based on the wheels, because they will eventually be replaced, but buying skates where you need to immediately have to change the wheels and buckles is not a way to save money.

Quote:
The frame (243mm) does absolutely fit a full set of 80mm wheels.
Not the pair of alchemy's my friend has.

Quote:
Heel brake? What the HeII are you talking about? Slalom skaters don't use brakes.
Indeed you don't use a heel break for slalom for obvioius reasons, however you can use skates for other things, like skating.

I'll concede that if you don't like Seba skates the Alchemies might be an alternative. but not if you're trying to save money, and i would suggest you try the Twister 243's and Roces asp100 first they seem to be popular for people who's feet don't fit the Seba boot.

and if you happen to be an experienced slalom skater you know this allready.

Last edited by domsablos; May 9th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #14
Skate50

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsablos View Post
To me this seems like an odd thing to do, the Seba wheels are some of the better slalom wheels on the market, what exactly do you replace them with?

you're right that you shouldn't buy a pair of skates based on the wheels, because they will eventually be replaced, but buying skates where you need to immediately have to change the wheels and buckles is not a way to save money.

Not the pair of alchemy's my friend has.

Indeed you don't use a heel break for slalom for obvioius reasons, however you can use skates for other things, like skating.

I'll concede that if you don't like Seba skates the Alchemies might be an alternative. but not if you're trying to save money, and i would suggest you try the Twister 243's and Roces asp100 first they seem to be popular for people who's feet don't fit the Seba boot.

and if you happen to be an experienced slalom skater you know this allready.

Even the best wheels won't last more than about 50 hours of skating. I use a full set of wheels about once per month.

Twister is a fine skate, I just don't like thae frame for the reasons I stated.

Re-read my post. I replaced buckles only on the Seba (Cuff's too) and the Twister. I have not had to replace any parts of the Alchemy.

Also add to my post that the Alchemy frame has the axle access from the outside of the skate. This is inconvenient. SEBA is from the inside and makes changing wheels with boot-on much easier. Twister frames are not manufactured opposite-hand, so one is accessed from inside, one from outside. The SEBA frame is the best frame available.

I still like the Alchemy best.

Skate50
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #15
Aries

Some nice info's here...

From my perspective:
You can't use Twister or ASP100 if you want backward flex, you need to tweak them a lot. Ex: bigger cuff for Twister, cutting the liner etc.
Twister's mounting system is unusual: 185mm from 44,5EU up and 165mm down + only one mounting hole in the boot.
ASP100's mounting system is a joke, only one forward/backward boot hole and only one hole in the frame? No slots, no multiple slots, no nothing.

PS: About the axle access... The smart way is to put them on the right side of the frame. It's an easy way to prevent axle unscrewing at least for speed bots .
Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Rods

Quote:
Skate50 wrote:
They are about 30% lighter.
I know the Alchemy is primarily slalom but I'm intrigued by the lightness: can one jump in these (if unrockered)?
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #17
Shaggydog

I noticed other people are having problems with the cuff on the SEBA High's.... Does anyone know where an Aussie could get a replacement cuff?
Cheers,
SD
Shaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #18
P24ddy

Firstly, thanks to everyone, especially Skate50 and verona42, for their comments on the Alchemy skates.

I've been looking for new boots for about a year now and this discussion has helped massively in getting me to make my mind up

I play Inline Hockey, but I'm plagued with weak ankles and flat feet, so Hockey skates have never suited me (and caused me a massive amount of pain over the years).

About 10 years ago I was into Aggressive Inline and the boots were perfect for me, but obviously, I couldn't wear my old Oxygen's to the rink, and I wasn't aware of an alternative, up until very recently.

After my old Nike Quest's final bit the dust, I was initially going for the Seba FR1, but the comments about the weak cuffs put me off (plus the price tag), so, after reading this forum, I went for the Alchemy’s (£85 of eBay, brand new, bargain!).

With the light aluminium chassis, they are pretty adept at hockey and I actually vastly prefer them to actual hockey boots.

I've only worn them a couple of times (and had teething problems, like fastening them too tight and cutting the blood supply off to my foot), but, here are my initial thoughts.

Positive -
- They are light.
- They are very well priced.
- They look great.
- So easy to get on and off.
- They are very sturdy.
- I don't see any problems with the liners.
- Very comfortable.
- The chassis is solid.
- The bearings and wheels are first class.

Negative -
- The plastic of the boot is softer than I thought it would be, not looking forward to taking my first puck to them.
- I hate rockered wheels, so I'm having to buy some 76mm (but that's personal choice).
-The ratchet buckle seems to be fitted incorrectly on the right boot (seems a few mm lower then the left one) and doesn't fasten properly (fixed by drilling another couple of holes and refitting the buckle) Has anyone else had this problem with them?
- The top buckle keeps catching and unfastening itself, which is really annoying in the middle of a game (fixed by switching to wearing Hockey socks, but it's still awful design, they catch and unfasten whenever the two skates go anywhere near each other).
- No eyelet on the top of the liner (solved by cutting a hole out and adding an eylet, which didn't take long).

I've also taken the laces out and added waxed hockey laces, but, again, this is just personal choice.

Overall, for £85 I can't complain at all. A great boot and highly recomended.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by P24ddy; July 22nd, 2009 at 09:16 AM.
P24ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #19
stacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggydog View Post
I noticed other people are having problems with the cuff on the SEBA High's.... Does anyone know where an Aussie could get a replacement cuff?
Cheers,
SD

Bayside Blades is the main Seba retailer in Australia. They should be able to help you.
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:54 AM   #20
domsablos

Not to be argumentative here but has anyone else apart from Skate50 complained about weak cuffs on the Seba high? I know people who slalom professionally and all i've heard is that they really like the plastic cuff more so even than the New Carbon Fibre one.

And the people who say they like how the Alchemy skates look, compared to what? also what drugs are you taking and where can I get some?

Could someone please post a photo of the ALC600's for me? other than the pro-mo one, maybe they've made alterations since the pair my friend purchased.