S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old August 17th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #21
oldiesk8er

May I add a belated footnote to this thread. Seba are supposed to be bringing out a lite versiion of the FR1 which I think will be priced about the same as the Alchemy Freeskate ALC600. I must admit the Alchemy is a skate I am unfamiliar with.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #22
P24ddy

Here they are, the Seba FRX, 109 from our friends at Prolines.

www.prolineskates.com/acatalog/Seba_Skates.html

Makes me wish I'd waited a couple of months, the top buckle on the Alchemy's is becoming a MASSIVE pain, they're coming loose every time anything goes anywhere near them, usually your other foot.

My advice, go for the Seba.
P24ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #23
RandD
2500 Crash pad for this 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsablos View Post
Could someone please post a photo of the ALC600's for me?
Not sure if you had this answered but here is a picture you requested.
click on view and get a better shot of it.
RandD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #24
domsablos

thanks D, that is indeed a different promotional pic of the alchemies, it still doesn't show what they look like when someone's actually wearing them tho.
I'll try and get a pic of my friends at the weekend so you can see what i mean.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #25
P24ddy

So, I've had these skates for a few months now and I can say, without any doubt.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE SKATES.

The top buckle is the worst I can imagine. It is not fit for purpose whatsoever. I have now had to drill holes in the top strap and the body of the cuff so I can fasten it with a plastic garden tie each time I wear them, the buckle is THAT BAD.

I've had to make so many modifications to these skates to get them to work as they should that I might as well have made them from scratch myself.

I don't know how good the Seba's are, but anything has to be better than the Alchemy's.

If anyone from Alchemy wants to contact me personally to apologise for these abomonations, don't bother, it won't do any good.
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #26
Skate50

Default Alchemy vs. Twister 243

OK.

I have gone back to the Twisters!

The Alchemy is a decent skate - especially for an intermediate skater.

However, as I increased my skills and the level of difficulty in freestyle slalom tricks, the Alchemy skate cuff proved to be too soft. (Think outside edge toe-wheel turns.) The Twisters provide better ankle support. Also the new Twister 243s have a better cuff buckle than previous twister models.

The Alchemy buckles do feel cheap. But I have never had a problem with them.

I still do not like the Twister Black frames. But they are very rugged. (They do have a non-standard mount, so exchanging frames/boots between brands does not work very well.)

My SEBAs are still gathering dust in the garage.

-Skate50
Skate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:33 AM   #27
Skate50

Default SEBA Cuff

SEBA is a fine skate. I just think that SEBAs are way too expensive and my own experience with them was worse that Rollerblade Twisters (I have two pair of RBIIs) and worse than the Alchemy. The SEBA cuff simply broke in two after 5 hours of skating.

After about 1500 hours of skating over the last four years, I find the Twisters the best value. I know that all the well-known slalom skaters use SEBA and swear they are best. I just don't find them to be any better than Rollerblade and about twice as expensive.

However, if looks and image brands is what you are after, then SEBA is the skate for you. (SEBA does have the best looking frame on the US market.)

I have a friend that put a pair of SEBA frames on Rollerblade RB8s (Small size boot and frame) and they look great! Very unique!

Unless you are skating a solid 200+ hours of skating per year, you will probably be completely satisfied with the Twisters, but not with the Alchemy.

The alchemy is an adequate skate for a beginning to intermediate slalom skater. After using them all to full-wear-out, I recommend Rollerblade Twisters.

Cheers!
- Skate50
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:08 AM   #28
Aries

The cuff problem is linked to how people tend to tighten the upper buckle, I think.
Tight -> pop the buckle from cuff.
Loose -> no problem.
At least this is what we have here.
Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:16 AM   #29
Skate50

Default Bad design I Manufacture

In my case, the cuff material split in two. If you examine the SEBA cuff, it is made rom two different types of plastic: hard and soft. My cuffs (yes both of them) separated at the seam. There was no problem with the buckle.

- Skate50
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:18 AM   #30
Skate50

Default Bad Design I Manufacture

That is "Bad Design & Manufacture." Oops! typo

- SKate50
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #31
Aries

Ouch... For sure a bad lot, it's the first time when I hear about that problem.
Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #32
P24ddy

As a sad post-scrip to this sorry tale, I've now dumped the Alchemy skates and gone for a sweet pair of Seba FR1.

To say the difference between them is huge is a massive understatement, it's like walking on a fine Persian rug or walking on broken glass. With no shoes on. And the glass is covered with salt, and after you've finished walking on glass there are some snakes ready to bite your toes.

The FR1s were perfect out of the box, they're comfortable, fit perfectly and are tough.

It's a shame, because, much like a foul-mouthed conjoined twin that was occaionally charming, I'd grown fond of the Alchemys in a strange kind of way.

Still, if you want a VERY entry level skate that you don't expect too much out of, go for them, they're cheap as chips at Prolines now. If you want a good skate, don't.