S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old December 29th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #41
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
No, but a little closer to home---> Pat and I are getting together Sat. Morning for some good miles, probably Alki beach because Redmond morning fog will probably make Samm. trail too wet to skate. What do you say?

For that matter, i'm off today, available to skate on your side of the lake, with a little pre-planning as i;m the stay home parent this week, a job you could appreciate, i'm sure.

Is that off topic enough for ya'll?
If you post in this thread you're by default committed to skating on the team. Didn't you read the fine print above?
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #42
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
No If I were healthy Alki in the morning would be do-able.
You don't have to be healthy to do Alki. It;'s more of an interval workout. We need a coach, so i'll put you down, thanks Coach, see ya there!
(Check out SkateNW- Pat or I;ll wil post something if you can make it)
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #43
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
If you post in this thread you're by default committed to skating on the team. Didn't you read the fine print above?
i have a problem iwth committments. What did i committ to? If it involves more than 26 miles, i don't have that kind of concentration span. Sorry.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #44
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
i have a problem iwth committments. What did i committ to? If it involves more than 26 miles, i don't have that kind of concentration span. Sorry.
Sounds like we've got one of our teammates committed to doing the first 26 miles!
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #45
Intrepid

mj - How long does it take to drive from Toronto to Montreal? The race starts at 2:00pm on Saturday and ends at 2:00pm on Sunday. Is it possible to drive to Montreal late on Friday, stay to the end of the race, then drive home on Sunday? Jessica still has openings on the team and if the drive is doable you may not even have to take any vacation days to be on the SL team
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #46
Intrepid

racrmom - I just checked Expedia, and there is a Delta one-stop flight from Seattle to Burlington for only $244 roundtrip. Its Delta 596/5994 on 7/13 and Delta 6142/597 back to Seattle on 7/16. The cheapest direct flights to Montreal are $625 on either American or United. The Burlington flight looks cheap enough that you may want to get in touch with Jessica to get a slot on the SL team
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:46 AM   #47
shaloheat
shaloheat

Default Toronto to Montreal

You can make Toronto-Montreal in about 5 hours, give or take a little based on traffic. It is all highway- 560km's (about 355 miles).
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM   #48
mjcole

Quote:
You can make Toronto-Montreal in about 5 hours, give or take a little based on traffic. It is all highway- 560km's (about 355 miles).
Wow, that is quite possibly the most optimistic statement I have ever seen. Friday night, leaving Toronto on the 401 East bound, and you think anyone driving can average 100km/h? Last time I tried that, I was about 10, needless to say someone else was driving, it was the early 80s, traffic was better back then, and I still managed to get about a good two hour nap between Pickering and Oshawa.

Sorry, if I am going to Montreal, there are four options, Air Canada, West Jet, Via rail, or someone else is driving - at least as far as Cobourg!
mjcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM   #49
Intrepid

Default Race Registration Now Open!

Our team captain received an email today (3 January) from the Montreal race committee that registration for the race is now open. It looks like there is enough interest on this board for Kathie and Jessica to organize an SL team for Montreal. The race was oversubscribed last year so I would suggest that consideration be made to register an SL team soon in order to assure a place at the race and then we can work out the team details over the next few months. Yes? No?

Howard

Here is the text of the email:

Get ready, get set!

Starting today, now is the time to register your team for the 4th edition of 24hrs Roller Montreal, which will take place on July 14 and 15, 2007 on the Gilles-Villeneuve Formula 1 racetrack.

Space will be limited in 2007, so to avoid disappointment, don't delay! Register your team before February, 2007 and benefit from the lowest possible registration fee.

Good news, we have cut in half the registration price for the courageous solo skaters! And if this was not enough, we are slashing the price of corporate sponsorships to CAD$200 and offering free breakfast to members of corporate teams! Corporate sponsorships are a terrific way to help the Diabetic Children's Foundation, while also making sure your skaters get fed! For full details about registration and a whole lot more, go to www.24inline.com.

Happy new year and see you in July!

The 24hrs Roller Montreal team

P.S. Do not forget to check out the 2006 video and to download and listen to the 2006 mix!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:41 PM   #50
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I received the notification today also. If there really does end up being a SkateLog team at the Montreal 24 hour event I will pay the team registration fee. Let me know if you guys decide you are serious about this.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 4th, 2007 at 02:31 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:56 PM   #51
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I take it you'd probably doing the race category. I doubt that I'd be able to sustain a 17mph pace for almost 3 miles at a time. My best time to date has been a consistent 15mph.

It's really tempting though.

OK, looking at individual distances:

If a team were to sustain 20mph for the entire 24 hours, that'd be a total of 480 miles, or 164.38 laps on the track.

A team of 10 members would do an average of 16.43 laps each, or just shy of 48 miles each. With approximately a 1 hour and 20 minute break between skating periods.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:44 PM   #52
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

By the way, I will not be skating this event, so if we form a SkateLog team there will be ten slots available. If I can make it to Montreal - which I would try very hard to do if we had a team - I will be in the pit providing support and taking photos of the activities.

- Kathie
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM   #53
Intrepid

Default Average Team Speeds at Montreal 2006

Chuck - If you are able to maintain 15mph for 3 miles then you are good to go for Montreal. The results of the 2006 race are posted at http://www.24inline.com/results.php. The results contain the average speed for each team in kmph; the conversion to mph is to multiply the kmph number by .62.

In summary for 2006, the winning team in the Recreation category averaged 15.1 mph and skated 124 laps. The winning team in the Fitness category averaged 17.6 mph for 143 laps. The Skater's Quest team, in the Fitness category, averaged 16.1 mph and skated 132 laps. The winning Pro-Elite team averaged 20.6 mph for 168 laps.

I believe the SL team should register in the Recreation category as it will be the team's first time at the event and the team will be comprised of skaters from across the nation with a wide range of skills.

As a side note: The SQ team registered in the Recreation category but after 4 hours in the race we had lapped the next-place recreation team. The race organizers reserve the right to re-place teams during the race based on in-race results and we were "promoted" to the Fitness category early on Saturday evening. We did finish eigth out of 19 in the Fitness category.

Howard
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM   #54
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I take it you'd probably doing the race category. I doubt that I'd be able to sustain a 17mph pace for almost 3 miles at a time. My best time to date has been a consistent 15mph.

It's really tempting though.

OK, looking at individual distances:

If a team were to sustain 20mph for the entire 24 hours, that'd be a total of 480 miles, or 164.38 laps on the track.

A team of 10 members would do an average of 16.43 laps each, or just shy of 48 miles each. With approximately a 1 hour and 20 minute break between skating periods.
I think you might be able to do it....consider that the surface will be fast, you will be pumped up by the event etc...plus you have time to work on your speed.

For me...I don't want to hold anybody back but 17-18 is a realistic pace for me.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM   #55
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I created an "official" skatelog.com team listing thread...

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...7313#post17313

To be honest, I'm actually really enthusiastic about this. It's the first skate-related thing I've been up on since the NESL indoor speed skating league fell apart during the last season.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM   #56
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

BTW, my wife brought up a very good point. I believe that it now required to have a passport in order to return to the USA from Canada.

So, get yours NOW!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:03 PM   #57
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
BTW, my wife brought up a very good point. I believe that it now required to have a passport in order to return to the USA from Canada.

So, get yours NOW!
This is currently for air/boat travel. It has not been implemented for land travel. No matter what it is a good idea to get your passport.

Any ideas how I can convince my wife that this is a "good idea, tm"?

~$240 airfare to Burlington is do-able. Carpool from Burlington is also do-able.

24 hours of skating -- priceless
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #58
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Any ideas how I can convince my wife that this is a "good idea"
We will have to find some romantic things to do and places to stay in Montreal. I'll dig up some information about visitor attractions.

- Kathie
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM   #59
Intrepid

Default Passport for Land Travel to/from Canada

Mark is entirely correct, for the US skaters traveling to Canada please get a passport no matter what mode of transportion you plan on taking. All of the team's border crossings in SUV's from New York to Canada and back were no hassle with our passports. I have heard stories that if you don't have a passport then you will be taken aside at the border and given a shake-down until they verify who you are and why you don't have a passport.

Getting a passport is very easy, information can be found at the State Department's web site http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html.

Howard
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #60
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
We will have to find some romantic things to do and places to stay in Montreal. I'll dig up some information about visitor attractions.

- Kathie
I'm familiar with the amenities of Montreal. Most of my mother's family lives there and I spent every summer of my first 18 years of life there. My family would be delighted for me to show up as it has been 5 years since the last time I saw them. I was thinking more along the line of just in and out.

Are there restrictions on taking rental cars out of the country? The last time I rented the contract was specific about not crossing the border.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote