S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Butterboy
The Magnificent

Default Rollerblade Twister 243

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if any of you know about the new 2009 urban line of skates that Rollerblade is putting out. I think they are for sale come February but I'm not sure. Any way. I am a freestyle skater and I was just about to buy some Seba Fr1s when I learned about the New twister. With the twister, twister II and Twister II Pro being so popular with slalom and freestyle skaters I thought I"d ask if anybody knows about the Twister 243. It seems like great competition for the seba skates with its hard shell, short frame, hard wheels and memory foam custom fitting boot. Not to mention it will be a little cheaper.

What are your thoughts?
Butterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #2
micro

This?

It looks very similar to the Adreno Black Series, and from a couple of friends who are using the Adreno one, the wheels are hard to remove, and the cuff screw loosens and comes off after some use, hence have to re-tighten before skating. Other than that, its quite a good pair for slalom-ing with, wheels are rocker-ed by default I think.

I'm not sure if the Rollerblade ones will have the same problem.

I own a pair of FR1s and the wheels can be easily removed without any need to pull =D Wheels are flat profile.

(Note, your country might have different wheel setups, I'm not sure, do check it out)
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #3
rollman

Wow, never heard of those Adreno skates. Are they good?
rollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #4
domsablos

Sebas are still the better skates as reflected in the price.

I have a pair of the old model twisters and from what i've heard they've fixed all the flaws, and a big bonus with the twisters is they have a heel break.

oh and avoid the black wheels if you can.

see here http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6483
domsablos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Davey_Speedstar

It looks like the new Rollerblades have a new locking buckle on the cuff - this was the weak link with the previous Twister models. (I wrote about it here).

However despite what I wrote then, given a money-no-object choice I'd be going for the Seba's. If money was an issue I'd just save until I could afford Sebas.
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM   #6
micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollman View Post
Wow, never heard of those Adreno skates. Are they good?
Considering they are about SGD$100 (US$70) cheaper over here as compared to a pair of Seba FR1, people do buy it.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, there are some drawbacks (like the difficulty in removing the wheels, cuff screw coming off), but its a budget buy for a basic pair of slalom / sliding skates. Of course, the Rollerblade may or may not have the same issues.

However, I agree with Davey_Speedstar and domsablos. I'd still get a Seba if given a choice, even if it means saving up for it.

Oh, and FR1 has the two pieces of the HDS (a removable, using velcro, rubber kind of thing underneath the heel of the liner) - so you can choose how much, "shock absorption" when you skate - or none.
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM   #7
domsablos

there seem to be various different versions of the twister3 around;
the Rollerblade twister 3, has the old faulty buckle but with improved cream wheels which seem as good as the wheels on the sebas.
http://rol-sport.ru/private/rol-spor...ter_3_2008.jpg
and the newer Rollerblade twister 243, which has the new locking buckle but has black wheels which don't seem to be as good.
http://www.style-slalom.ru/test-drive/tw243_01.jpg
i've seen twisters with both the new buckle and the good wheels but not online, and my experience with buying skates online is they don't allways match the pics anyway.

oh and if your a beginner skater get the twisters over the sebas you need the heel break.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Butterboy
The Magnificent

Okay guys and/or girls. I've done some more looking into things and looked over your posts in this thread. It looks to me that the twister 243 is direct competition with the fr1. It is practically the same skate. A copy even. Now it is common knowledge that copies are rarely if ever, as good as the original. But Rollerblade has been making and remaking inline skates a heck of a lot longer than SEBA. comparing stats, I'd say the only differences are the wheels which many of you have already brought up, and the lack of customization. It is not too hard however to put whatever wheels you want on a pair of skates. As for the customizing of your skates, I'm all for that but If it is a good design and the fit is right and the frame is strong, I couldn't care less about having an Adjustable cuff with 4 positions or Integrated frame mounting plates with 7 holes or even a variety of colors to choose from for that matter.

The thing I dislike the most is that one would have to wait until February/March of 2009 to actually get the Twister 243. Even though it is a solid $131.00 cheaper than the Fr1 (Skatecrazy.net price) I may find myself getting SEBAs before that cause I would rather be skating than waiting.

Here is another thread where the Twister 243 is being discussed:
http://fitness.inlinewarehouse.com/s...ead.php?p=2967

It's about skating. Getting out there and doing your thing getting better and having fun. Saying you use SEBAs is like name dropping in the freestyle/slalom world. Even though Sébastien Laffargue is a great skater;his line of skates won't really make a difference. using a snowboard endorsed by saun white or a tony hawk skateboard doesn't matter. Plus I doubt that he learned and perfected is skills on the Seba high when he was making a name for himself and most likely half of you never heard of the Adreno skates before before micro brought it up.

Wow, If been going on for a while now, I seem to have gotten side tracked.

In summation I hope someone can find some good points in all that stuff you just read and the Twister 243 (named for the frame length, same measurement as Fr1) looks pretty sweet.

Butter Boy.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM   #9
domsablos

Dude, your doing us a real disservice here, we are as interested as anyone in finding the best skates for the money.

Rollerblade hasn't copied seba, they have however brought up their standards to match (for which we are all indebted to Seba), the twisters however have barely changed since its first incarnation.

Sebastien worked in collaboration to build the perfect slalom skate from the ground up mainly because there were no real options at the time. and created the Seba High, he didn't just slap his name on the skates.

I have a friend who owns an original pair of twisters, and myself have owned twister2's and know their flaws well. and i also know that seba's have none.

You can for example buy twister2's replace the wheels and buckles and have a perfectly serviceable skate. aparently the liner and frame, arn't as good as in the Fr1, but i've not noticed this.

If these new rollerblade 243's have finally fixed all the problems with bits breaking, falling off, wearing out etc. then we can recommend them without reservation.

This however doesn't mean their as good a skate as the Fr1 we must wait for the pro's verdict on that. And i think the frame issue will be the sticking point here, It really isn't about the badge.

But for simple street skating the difference in price and heel break the Twister might win out.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Butterboy
The Magnificent

Yeah domsablos. That's all I was saying. Pretty much it looks good and there is an unfortunate but unnecessary long wait until we hear any more news on it. As for who wears what skates and everybody having there own personal preference, I think everybody is on the same page with that.

I'm not a fan of heel breaks though.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM   #11
domsablos

you would also be better off with the Seba High skates, those are the really special ones. FR1's are for street skating, jumps slides etc.

Also i've seen 243's in my local skate shop but i live in the UK. Their a fair bit heavier than the Highs

my main complaint is you bashing The Seba's, we like them for a damn good reason and they will make a difference to any level of skater unless you have heavily modified twisters.

Nothing wrong with being smug about it, you'd know if you had a pair.

not to mention you're comparing them to a skate that's barely been released.

Last edited by domsablos; January 2nd, 2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM   #12
domsablos

hmm, just realised that the ankle strap on the new Rollerblade fusion is the ankle strap off the old twister 2 and 3 that we hated so much.

I guess it saves them some money.

(woo my 100th post)

Last edited by domsablos; January 3rd, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM   #13
micro

I just like to mention that the frame mounting plate with 7 holes do make a difference - at least for me, because I slide.

I need to go low, and hence I shifted the whole frame towards the outer side of the skates so I can go lower without sliding on the boot itself. kind of cheating, heheheh.

Also, I personally know at least 20 people using Seba (FR1, FR2, KSJ, High) and only one using Rollerblade (: (And three Adreno)

Then again, it probably depends alot on the skater himself, not the skates. If you do get the Rollerblades, do feedback here so we all know about it. ;D
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM   #14
Butterboy
The Magnificent

Default Feedback

you got it micro-man.
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #15
rollman

By the way, Sebastien Laffargue was using Tecnica Twisters (like RB Twisters but without the front holes, often used in freeride customs) for several years!

Tecnica Twisters are legendary skates.
rollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #16
Butterboy
The Magnificent

Unhappy 243 boots

I've just heard from a phone representative of Skates.com that the boots are very narrow, like Rollerblade Bladerunners, that I can't even fit into.

I was trying on random models by rollerblade and bladerunners were the worst (for me, not like the worst). the aggressive skates on the other hand (DT4) were so wide and comfy I could go a size down and have a great fit. I wish the twisters were more like that! In my opinion they should be because they are advertised on www.rollerblade.com under the TRS section on the site.

With my wide feet it looks like that wide toe box of the FR1 is the only way to go. Gotta wait though. Skatecrazy.net is out of my size.
Old January 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #17
Davey_Speedstar

Get in touch with Jeremy on this forum, or on the US Freestyle Skaters Assoc forum.

Jeremy is the US importer/distributor of Seba skates, he'll be able to give you far better the best advice re sizing, than anyone.

<edit> and may be able to get you skated-up faster than skatecrazy.net
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #18
Butterboy
The Magnificent

Default Sliding

Does the balance shift at all with the frame on the outside of your skate micro? I want to get better at sliding but with all the jumps I do and the spins I don't know if I could get used to the feeling of the wheels not being directly under me. I guess it wouldn't matter but the back of my skates (where there is no abrasive pad)would loose their shiny new look pretty fast.

Butter boy loves the butter sauce
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #19
Butterboy
The Magnificent

Default From another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
I can't agree with that. Just because the Twister boot has vent holes, it doesn't mean it's less robust. They are both freeride skates and compete with each other directly. The Twister is defintely not a slalom-specific skate.

If anything, I would say that Sebas are more likely to fall apart - I have seen plenty of FR1s where the shell has split just through normal street skating, and the buckles have a tendancy to fall off too when the screws work loose.

Overall though the FR1 is the more customisable and versatile skate. I'm hoping the 2009 FR1 model fixes everything that's wrong with the current model.
Hey, what's up with this? I heard that there are no new changes in the 2009 Fr1. Does that make Twister 243 a tougher skate for freeride?
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #20
Butterboy
The Magnificent

Angry twister 243

Just got off the phone with Rollerblade. What the skate.com rep told me has been confirmed. Twister 243 is a small narrow shaped boot with a very snug fit. I can't go for that nor would I recommend it to anybody who can't pull off the Seba High which it is more similar to than the presumably spacious Fr1.