S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old March 4th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #21
djbwhizz

hey ppl...

im stil struggling to get my criss cross right... and until now.. i still cant do snake.. dunno wut im doing wrong.. can somebody help me wif it...

i dont seem to be able to skate wif one leg leading the other one... i dunno how to turn..

advice would be great...
djbwhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #22
Davey_Speedstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbwhizz View Post
i dont seem to be able to skate wif one leg leading the other one
From what you say it sounds like you’re having problems with your scissor.

I’ve lifted this from www.londonskaters.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ”LS.com”
Step 2 - Scissor
Another basic position. It's important to master these techniques if you haven't already, as they are the start of many of the more advanced moves and tricks that you'll learn later.
You need to scissor your braking leg in order to get it further in front. Remember that when you actually start braking, your weight is going to transfer forwards, so scissoring will stop you falling on your face.
• Push your brake skate forward and the other skate a little back. This would usually be your right skate, but some skates have a heel brake on both sides, or on the left as some people prefer to brake with their left foot.
• Your front skate should be only slightly in front of your rear skate - the brake pad should be just in front of the front wheel of your rear skate.
• Keep most of your weight on the rear leg. When you're practicing you can check this by trying to tap the toe wheel of your front skate on the ground. If you can't tap it easily you've probably got too much weight on the front leg.
• Don't lift the toe at this stage. It's more important to get the scissor stable and under control.
• Slightly narrow the distance between your skates, to perhaps the width of one fist between your skates.

Taken from LS.com’s How to heel brake tutorial

If you get used to roling in a straight line in a scissor (when you practise, get used to leading with either leg). As you get comfortable with this try shifting weight on to the outside edges and 'guide' your skates towards each other and then apart.

If exagerate this move your skates with cross and hey presto - you're slaloming.

This with take a while to get the hang of - but be patent it will work.

Oh - dont forget to bend your knees!!!

Is this any help?
Davey_Speedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #23
unit11

I've got :
• Forwards/Backwards Criss-Cross (Better on one side with backwards)
• Forwards One Foot Slalom (Better on one foot, still lose too much speed with either, so something to work on?)
• Crazy (pretty good on both sides)
• Marbrouk (pretty good on both sides)
• Nelson (Better in just on direction)
• Forwards Stroll (Mostly... I've got the motions and balance, but I need to work on keeping momentum!)

Working on:
• Chap-Chap
• Crab Cross (Long term-ish)
• Italian (Mostly got it, just need to get better at both sides and smooth it out
• Backwards one foot
• Volte (I can kinda do it in one direction...)
• Toe Snake and Heel Snake (I can do toe and heel just rolling, so basic tricks is next)
• Toe Criss-Cross and Heel Criss-Cross

Maybe I should make my to-do list more focused, but I like trying out a bunch of things at once - some easy and some hard. It makes it more fun!
unit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #24
Markk

I'm working on a way to levitate over the cones. Hopefully this will develop into a whole family of 'flying' tricks. These will then be developed into one foot levitating tricks and eventually some total bastard will develop a one wheel levitating trick and a 1 wheel spinning levitating trick.

Clearly this is the way slalom is heading after seeing the battle russia mens final.
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #25
Davey_Speedstar

This guy's beaten you to it Mark!!

He's so good he's even made the cones dissappear
Davey_Speedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #26
denni
Denacious P

I'm working on...

Fan volte
Screw
Jumping X
Prancing Asso

The fan volte is the one I practice most!
denni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #27
djbwhizz

thanx for that advice.. would start practicing on it later today...

still in searching for new zealander freestylers... if u are out there... do holla...

thanx heaps...
djbwhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #28
KeLLy

I finaly got around to working on my back cross wrong foot.

After bout an hour of pretty intense practice i can do it, but it doesn't look cracefull or smooth yet. And i really need to get started on backwards snake to.
I also pulled a muscle trying to move my feet into an eagle possition .

Btw, all my tricks are still on 120 cm. (i use chalk to mark the spot).

Comming weekend: Naomi's tutorial !!!! (i'm really curious to see if i can survive 6 hours + on skates and that for 2 days in a row).

Don't get me wrong, Crowry, i'm very happy with my Seba's.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #29
Cowry

Don't worry, I won't get you wrong
I did try both the seba high and the twister on this weekend... if it comes to fit, the twister wins hands down at the moment! But I have to say that the seba was a size too big and one size down (38) was sold out at the moment. But the twister felt really good! They fittet perfect around my feet and they where so light compared to my Xmax and also compared to the seba's! The downside for the twister is that I would have to order a shorter frame for it, so that would make it a more expensive. I'll wait a bit longer to make a decision for now, so if the maven won't take too much time to get on the market, I might even choose those instead of the above, depending on the fit, since it will have a shorter frame in my size.
Cowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #30
denni
Denacious P

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
Comming weekend: Naomi's tutorial !!!! (i'm really curious to see if i can survive 6 hours + on skates and that for 2 days in a row).

Don't get me wrong, Crowry, i'm very happy with my Seba's.
Say goodbye to the 120's...

Awww the Sebas... Yum.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #31
KeLLy

bye 120's !

damnit, the only thing i can do on 80 is front cross ^^ and it's raining now.

The Seba's take a bit of time to set to your foot. They weren't a perfect fit for me to begin with, but they are now . I haven't had the opportunity to try on the Twisters... so i can't compare.
The shorter frame on the Seba's then on the Twisters were also a reason for me to choose Seba.

I hope the Maven will hit the market soon.

Yay for more options ! (in non-power ranger colours)
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #32
RogerSP

Quote:
bye 120's !

The Seba's take a bit of time to set to your foot. They weren't a perfect fit for me to begin with, but they are now

I agree. One week skating almost everyday and my Seba fits better. In one month or two it will fit perfectly.

Power Ranger colours!? hahahaha

This sunday I skated 80cm spaced cones. It was a bit harder to get used to it, but once you get used it is much better. You can really freestyle and play around through the cones. Some moves like Crazy are better worked out on 80cm, otherwise the cones are too far from each other and you have to "travel" to it.

byes!
RogerSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #33
Cowry

Quote:
bye 120's !

damnit, the only thing i can do on 80 is front cross ^^ and it's raining now.
Don't worry; you don't have to be able to do tricks on the 80's right now, but you will be able to do them after this weekend

Quote:
bye 120's !
The Seba's take a bit of time to set to your foot. They weren't a perfect fit for me to begin with, but they are now . I haven't had the opportunity to try on the Twisters... so i can't compare.
The shorter frame on the Seba's then on the Twisters were also a reason for me to choose Seba.
I haven't made a definite choice yet, but if money wouldn't be an object and I would have to make a choice right now, than I would choose the twister with a seba frame. But money is an object and don't have to choose right now, so... I won't choose just yet.

Quote:
bye 120's !
I hope the Maven will hit the market soon.

If we're lucky, they'll hit the market before summer, but it could be just as easily be after the summer. I won't be waiting that long, so I'm hoping for before summer. They won't be in power ranger colours anyway (though I am kind of curious about how those skates ride aswell)
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #34
unit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by denni View Post
I'm working on...

Fan volte
Screw
Jumping X
Prancing Asso

The fan volte is the one I practice most!
I think I should add the Prancing Asso and the Happy Gnomi to my list as well, if anyone can really explain what they are!
unit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #35
denni
Denacious P

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit11 View Post
I think I should add the Prancing Asso and the Happy Gnomi to my list as well, if anyone can really explain what they are!
It's great that we invent names for moves even before the moves are invented. The Prancing Asso I am thinking is the thing that Naomi was doing to copy some transition move. I can't find the video of it. It's on freestyleskaters.org somewhere.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #36
KeLLy

I wanna learn the Happy Gnomi !!
funny name
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #37
EdA

I'm not the cone skater. But my favorit tricks are grapewine(mabrouk) , backward one foot.
And why nobody practice one wheel? Very impressive trick and judges like it
I tried it and learnt skate on toe and heel wheel (w/out cones 15-20 m) for 4 weeks.
EdA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #38
Cowry

I am actually working on heel- and toewheeling, but my main focus is not on it yet. The other day I tried for the first time toewheeling through the cones and with a few tries I got just as far (6 cones) on my toewheel as I can get on my heelwheel, wich took me a long time to get there
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #39
denni
Denacious P

I've been thinking about working on solely toes and heels for the duration of my skating practicing until further notice. I also want to go to the gym and just work my calves and ankles. We'll see what spring brings.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #40
KeLLy

I think toe and wheel tricks are pretty technical and for the more advanced skater.

Apart from not beeing confedent enough to start on them (i really think it's to soon for me), i simply have no intrest in learning them at this point.
Tho there is 1 i do really like, but apperently it's very very hard (both feet on toes, feet crossed, and go round a cone).

And i really don't plan on doing something coz the judges like it.

I do like just skating around and do some heal-toe (witch imo looks really great).