S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 25th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #41
Brianwheelies
Fun on 2 wheels or eight!

Thanks again Bob. I think I will enter the same race as you so I can sort of be competitive and not rip my feet up! See you folks in the morning!
Brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #42
JandKLarson

Good luck to all the Skateloggers skating in the various races at Prospect Park tomorrow! And special good luck wishes to our teammates from SOS Speed and JKL Racing!

Everyone be safe and have fun! We look forward to reading the race reports.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #43
2old2sk8t

Default Results are posted

Main Page Yellow Jacket Racing 2010 Results ... http://www.yellowjacketracing.com/2010Very impressive win by Eddie M in the 100K. Just dominated the last lap, finishing about a minute ahead of the 2nd and 3rd place finishers. I shot some video of the finish, but I foolishly messed around with the zoom as he was coming in, and totally screwed up the shot. Oh well.

Last edited by 2old2sk8t; September 25th, 2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: typo
2old2sk8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #44
JandKLarson

Eddy has won this race on multiple occasions.... The most impressive thing is that he is now 42 years old and doesn't skate "Pro Master," (35 y.o. +) but still chooses to skate with the regular Pro Elite Men, 18 y.o. +. He is truly a phenomenon. A clear video of Eddy's finish was posted over on the Inline Planet.

But your fellow skateloggers want to know how did YOUR race day go.... Well we hope. And we hope you were feeling well.
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #45
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Eddy has won this race on multiple occasions.... The most impressive thing is that he is now 42 years old and doesn't skate "Pro Master," (35 y.o. +) but still chooses to skate with the regular Pro Elite Men, 18 y.o. +. He is truly a phenomenon. A clear video of Eddy's finish was posted over on the Inline Planet.

But your fellow skateloggers want to know how did YOUR race day go.... Well we hope. And we hope you were feeling well.
Actually my day went pretty well. I did the half-marathon (21K rec). I got winded pretty quickly in the beginning (not fully recovered from some bronchitis from my cold), but I sucked it up and just stayed with it. In the end, I beat my time from last year -- officially (I'll explain below) by about 6.5 minutes. So pretty happy with that. And it was a hot (mid-80s), humid, summer like day with a decent headwind going up that hill to boot!

I hooked up with Brian Wheelies just before and after the race. He did well, and got second in his age class, in the same race. (For the record, I got third in my age class). (Not as impressive as it sounds, but I'll take it.)

One thing that I discovered when I got back home..... My race time as I recorded myself with my GPS watch, was a full 4 minutes faster than the time they gave me. I knew my time was off compared to theirs, but I didn't look at it that closely when I finished to realize just how far. How could the official time be off so much? If anything, the official time should have been at least a few seconds faster. I started the timer just as we got rolling (before I crossed the line), and then a few seconds after I finished. Anyone ever hear of such a difference? I mean it's a stopwatch? How far off could it be? Not 4 minutes. Not making a big deal of it. I achieved what I set out to do and had fun. Just asking how this could be.
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #46
edgeburner

I had an awesome time at the race today, and it was a great first race for me, and I didn't even come in remotely last place so I'm really thrilled about that. But yea, I was not at all prepared for how intense the hill is. I'd done hills before and some intervals, but that hill seems to go on forever! Drafting down the backend hill however was really awesome, first time I've been in a draft really, first time I've skated with more than 1 person, now I'm addicted though!
edgeburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #47
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeburner View Post
...I'd done hills before and some intervals, but that hill seems to go on forever!
Yes it does.

Quote:
Drafting down the backend hill however was really awesome...!
Yes it is.

It is a fun marathon. And they are addicting. I wish there were more in our area. Glad you had a good time.
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #48
Brianwheelies

That was definitely a good time! Had the weekend schedule not been so full I would have liked seeing the finish of the 100k.

It was good to meet you Bob. As far as the GPS vs stopwatch, I think the timing device used is probably more accurate than the GPS, especially going through the trees and such where the signal can be impaired.

The race was sort of lonely for me. The very fast folks left me in the dust and nobody was in my draft. I ended up pushing my whole race solo.

Oh, and the hill is treacherous! The pros made short work of it though...very impressive. My feet were in pain beyond belief when I stopped skating. Luckily I caught up with Jimmy from Pinnacle Racing and had my foot molds made for the Vortex Elites. The days of ill fit will soon be over.

J and K, were you skating at this event? I saw a gentleman skating with two kids, one of which had an SOS jersey. Was that you?
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #49
rollingfeet

that race was very cool. met some nice people while hanging out before and after. knocked almost five min off last years time in the 42k. couldn't shave off as much as i thought i could... i was hoping for more like fifteen mins, a little too ambitious - coulnd't do it. each lap starts with the big hill, it's like the "gate keeper"... and i paid the toll a couple of times especially on laps 7 and 8. it's an amazing thing watch the pros attack that hill at racing speeds (and many of them attacked it nineteen times... that's not normal) while my wind was maxed out and they'd just go ripping by. some of them are like machines. it's cool stuff, that's for sure. i also saw a couple of people go down here and there throughout the race. i hope everyone is ok and no one was seriously injured. that would be unfortunate. hopefully just some bumps and bruises and little road rash (or a lot)... that's stuff never killed anyone. thanks to the coordinators and also to the volunteers that gave out the water... you guys rock!
rollingfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #50
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2sk8t View Post
My race time as I recorded myself with my GPS watch, was a full 4 minutes faster than the time they gave me. I knew my time was off compared to theirs, but I didn't look at it that closely when I finished to realize just how far.
Did you go anywhere near the line before your event started? Or go back across it after you finished? If the results listings contain any lap times, it might help explain it. Glad you got the race you wanted. Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeburner View Post
I had an awesome time at the race today, and it was a great first race for me, and I didn't even come in remotely last place so I'm really thrilled about that!
Hooray for not last place! Nice work. Now you are hooked.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #51
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Did you go anywhere near the line before your event started? Or go back across it after you finished? If the results listings contain any lap times, it might help explain it. .
Not even close to the line. I was hanging out well behind it for at least 30 minutes before the start. And after I finished, I never crossed back until well after I handed in my chip, which was about 40 feet past the start/finish line. I don't know... one of those things that will never be adequately explained, I guess.

Quote:
Glad you got the race you wanted. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwheelies View Post
....It was good to meet you Bob. As far as the GPS vs stopwatch, I think the timing device used is probably more accurate than the GPS, especially going through the trees and such where the signal can be impaired..
Good meeting you too, Brian. The stop watch feature can't be affected by the functioning of the GPS itself, could it? I can't imagine that could be the case. That timer keeps running with or without the disruption of the signal. Plus, I don't think that ever even happened. I have the newer Forerunner 110 that has the more advanced signal acquisition and lock technology that really is not much affected by trees and the like. Heck, I can get a satellite lock inside my house, just standing near a window. And the race results that I uploaded appear very consistent and don't show any anomalies. Oh well.. Good luck with those Pinnacles!

Last edited by 2old2sk8t; September 26th, 2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #52
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Not even close to the line. I was hanging out well behind it for at least 30 minutes before the start. And after I finished, I never crossed back until after well I handed in my chip, which was about 40 feet past the start/finish line. I don't know... one of those things that will never be adequately explained, I guess.
Hrm. Last thought would be to look at the times of people who you know finished near you. If you don't know their names, you can pick their bib numbers off of photos. If their time is close to yours, or 4 minutes different from yours, that will help you isolate the issue. Wait, one last thought. If there were waves of starts, the official start may have happened when the first wave took off, and the official clock may have been at 4 minutes when they started your wave. Happened to me once.
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #53
JandKLarson

Quote:
If there were waves of starts, the official start may have happened when the first wave took off, and the official clock may have been at 4 minutes when they started your wave. Happened to me once.
I thought the same thing, but that shouldn't happen when each skater has a timing chip....

Quote:
J and K, were you skating at this event? I saw a gentleman skating with two kids, one of which had an SOS jersey. Was that you?
No, we weren't there this year. Several teammates of ours, from SOS Speed and JKL Racing, skated the race though.

Thanks for the race reports everyone! Glad you all had a great time - well done!
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #54
JandKLarson

Quote:
.. I wish there were more in our area...
Maybe you can try to make it out to the Eastern Seaboard Series races (www.easternseaboardseries.com) next year, which are held near Allentown, PA. Francisco's team, Empire Speed is there regularly, as is a team from Connecticut. It's a great race series attended by alot of skaters from throughout the northeast.
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #55
2old2sk8t

Default Race Video

Managed to salvage something of my blown video of the finish and make a nice little video....

http://community.inlineplanet.com/vi...skate-marathon
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #56
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
If there were waves of starts, the official start may have happened when the first wave took off, and the official clock may have been at 4 minutes when they started your wave. Happened to me once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
I thought the same thing, but that shouldn't happen when each skater has a timing chip....
Yeah, it would require some kind of timing glitch, or bad practice, where they just hit "go" on their laptop at the beginning of the first wave, rather than have the machine possibly get overwhelmed by all of the people starting and crossing the line so close together. Just spitballin' here...
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #57
Brianwheelies

Maybe that is why my first lap is slower than my other three laps by 3 minutes! In our category(rec/fitness) I left our entire group and somehow came in 2nd for age group and 3rd for rec/fitness skaters even though I passed evryone. Puzzling for sure.
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #58
2old2sk8t

Quote:
... Wait, one last thought. If there were waves of starts, the official start may have happened when the first wave took off, and the official clock may have been at 4 minutes when they started your wave. Happened to me once.
Bill. You nailed it! I just happened to get a survey email from Active.com looking for feedback on the event. There were a couple of participants who had responded already, one of whom was a bit negative on the organization of the race. Here is an excerpt that speaks to my extra four minutes ...
  • "...Further, the company that published our splits did not take the delayed start of the rec race into account when calculating our splits - the rec skaters started 4 minutes after the timer started, so the company should have taken 4 minutes off of all the 1st lap splits but they did not."
So there you have it. Obviously, since we were all equally affected, it didn't change my standings, but it's nice to know I actually did better than my official time, as did we all.

Last edited by 2old2sk8t; September 27th, 2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: selected wrong quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #59
Brianwheelies

When I passed through on my third to fourth lap my time was 45.xx minutes so they didn't adjust for the staggered start. Did we start two to four minutes behind the pros?
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #60
2old2sk8t

Quote:
When I passed through on my third to fourth lap my time was 45.xx minutes so they didn't adjust for the staggered start. Did we start two to four minutes behind the pros?
I assumed it was four minutes after the pro start. I don't think it was more than four minutes after the pros started that we did.