S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 18th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #21
gbo
once faster than a wocket

Jon B. wrote:

Quote:
My biggest pre-race jitter now is all about A2A - BRAKING.
I hope the hills don't cause you any trouble but I have to admit this is one of the reasons I'm hesitant about A2A. So, I'm anxious to read your after-race report.

Geri
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:39 PM   #22
Code Monkey

First off Great Luck to All of You!!! I can't wait to read and hopefully see pictures of your experiences.

speedy, I had a similar experience with some precious things and for me the best thing was when I put them in a plexiglass box on a hardwood base. It is very easy to lift off because there is no lock but no one ever does, something about having the items under a glass. Plus you can see them without touching and they stay clean. Ten years of A2A! WOW! I would love to read you book on your experiences.

Best of everything to all of you! Wish I was there. Hopefully next year.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM   #23
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
G My biggest pre-race jitter now is all about A2A - BRAKING. I suck so bad at downhill breaking on this 5 wheel frame I feel like skating with a queen size mattress strapped around me. If I've got to take a wipe-out at 30mph downhill I'm really going to be PO'd. JB
Jon,

It's no dishonor in deciding at the top of a descent to take it slow. You're going to be out there for a least 4 hours: taking a hill at 15 mph vs 30 isn't going to have that much of an effect on our your overall time. Find folks of a like mind, and try not to force others to brake. The most scary descents are when I am forced to dodge things.

I can't really stop quickly from speed either. I just have accepted that the only way I am goind to deal with a surprize on a downhill is to go around, over or through it.

Dev.
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:24 PM   #24
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Gnoll View Post
Jon,
It's no dishonor in deciding at the top of a descent to take it slow. You're going to be out there for a least 4 hours: taking a hill at 15 mph vs 30 isn't going to have that much of an effect on our your overall time. Find folks of a like mind, and try not to force others to brake. The most scary descents are when I am forced to dodge things.
I can't really stop quickly from speed either. I just have accepted that the only way I am goind to deal with a surprize on a downhill is to go around, over or through it. Dev.
I really want to take full advantage of the descents as much as possible, overall time is of very little consideration (as long as I make it under 4 hours ). I'm hoping to memorize the noted cautionary spots from the A2A website, prepare for them, and let the rest rip. I'm hoping to hit 40mph downhill at least once. Yeee Haaaah! The noted sections as follows:
2.2 Left Wages Rd --> Bailey Rd
2.0 Straight Cross at S.R. 324 (CAUTION: Heavy Traffic Crossing)
0.5 Right Lebanon Road
1.5 Right Duluth Hwy/SR 120 (CAUTION: Heavy Traffic)
0.5 Straight Cross Sugar Load Pkwy (CAUTION: Heavy Traffic Crossing)
2.2 Left Pleasant Hill Rd (CAUTION: Heavy Traffic)
0.2 Right Vernon St (Caution: slight downhill to turn)
1.5 Left at "T" on Dickens Rd
Straight Cross at Harbins Rd @ Citco
1.2 Left Rockbridge Rd (CAUTION: Stop Light on Downhill)
(CAUTION: Heavy Traffic Crossing)
100 yds WATER STATION on right side of road (66 miles) at Fire Dept. 2
0.6 Straight BAD RR X-ing (*** CAUTION: Downhill to ROUGH Railroad Crossing)
0.1 Left Hugh Howell Rd
0.2 Right Silver Hill Rd (CAUTION: 1 MILE FAST DOWNHILL)
1.8 Right Moreland Ave - North Bound
0.3 Left at 2nd Light ONTO SIDEWALK, through small plaza, continue 50 ft thru pedestrian alley and back onto the street (*** CAUTION: DRAINAGE GRATES ***)
5 Right Park Drive
0.4 Straight Cross at Monroe Drive at light (Blind Light - Heavy Traffic)
JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #25
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
iles)
0.6 Straight BAD RR X-ing (*** CAUTION: Downhill to ROUGH Railroad Crossing)
Jon,

Whatever you do with that one, decide it at the top of the hill. Some people will cross the tracks at speed, you don't want to be run over.

I don't know what a "bad RR Xing" is to the A2A folks. If it's fully exposed rails and ballast, it's hopeless. If it's just bad pavement with the rails embedded, you have choices.

There are two ways to handle RR Xings. Either you go slow enough so you can duckwalk over them, our you sissor you feet, put most of your weight on your heels, and nail them at high speed. Unload the rear heel once the front is over. Since 5*84 frames are longer than train wheels are wide, as long as weight's on your heel, you should be fine, unless there's a train.

BTW, where did you find the /06 course posted? I only see the '04 course on the website. For a roadskate that long, there is practically certain to be something that had to change.
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #26
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
BTW, where did you find the /06 course posted? I only see the '04 course on the website. For a roadskate that long, there is practically certain to be something that had to change.
Well Dev, truth be told, I just plucked the blow by blow off the site. When I originally post (on the Old Forum), my photo reconaissance of the route, the originator of the event told me that wasn't the right route. I'm quite sure what he referred me back to was the website blow-by-blow telling me that was the route they were using. I can't verify this dialogue, because it's lost with the old forum, maybe Kathie could retrieve it with one of her "many fingers". If these cautions are not "the" cautions, then I'm flying blind. JB
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #27
speedysktr
President of Everything

The rail crossing is an all metal grate type with some ribs for added pleasure. Most people cross it with a decent amount of speed-not flying. Keep your front wheels lightest and loft over it and you'll be fine. (by loft I mean, throw your weight off of your feet w/out taking your feet off the ground) Scissoring is still vital.

Jibs, that is what happened. I forget what you had reconned, maybe the driving directions, but what he sent you back to was the real mccoy. I think you could very easily skate the thing mapless, using only the road markings, and still be fine. I caution everyone from trying to overthink this or outsmart the directions. People do occasionally get off course, but I've never heard of any calamitous outcomes, though.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #28
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

EVERYONE

There's a schedule floating around:

PLEASE POST ON OTHER APPROPRIATE FORUMS

This is a friendly reminder that registration on active.com closes on
Wednesday Sept. 27th, 11:59pm PDT (in fairness to west coast skaters).
If you miss this deadline you will need to pay the walkup rate ($5
more)
in Athens on Saturday at the Classic Center, 300 N. Thomas Street,
Athens, Georgia. Registration hours noon-6pm. Mandatory pre-skate
meeting at 6pm.

active.com registration:
http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1275171

Event schedule
--------------
Friday 5:30pm - 6:30pm - Pre-order burritos, etc., at Willy's Mexicana
Grill (and thank them for being a sponsor), 12th and Piedmont by Skate
Escape

Friday 6:30pm - 8:15pm - Friday Night Skate!!! (12th & Piedmont)

Friday 8:15pm - 9:00pm - Pick up burritos, board bus if you are
registered

Friday 9:00pm - bus leaves for Athens

Saturday noon - 6pm - Preregistration at the Classic Center, 300 N.
Thomas Street, Athens, GA

Saturday 4:00pm - 5:30pm - Fun roll in downtown Athens

Saturday 6:00pm - MANDATORY pre-skate meeting

Sunday 7:30am - 87/38 mile start in front of the Classic Center, Athens

Sunday 10:00am - 52 mile start on Hi Hope Road, Lawrenceville, Georgia

Sunday 6:00pm - Awards Ceremony, Grady High School Auditorium, 929
Charles Allen Drive NE, Atlanta, Georgia

Old September 26th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #29
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

My current plan is to fly into ATL friday, do the FNS, drive to Athens.
We have rooms booked in Athens for Fri and Sat, and Atlanta sunday: all within 2 miles of the appropraite lines. My wife will drive the rental back, hopefully we will meet up at the checkpoints.

Question for those who have done it before:
-Do you do the Friday Night Skate and Saturday Fun Roll?
If they're real hammer-fests, it might be better to save it for Sunday.
- What do you do with your non-skater support types during these events?
- What's interesting to see near Athens Saturday morning?

Thanks,

Dev
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #30
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Question for those who have done it before:
-Do you do the Friday Night Skate and Saturday Fun Roll?
If they're real hammer-fests, it might be better to save it for Sunday.
- What do you do with your non-skater support types during these events?
- What's interesting to see near Athens Saturday morning?
I have done both, neither was a hammerfest, but there is a tremendous amount of braking. If you do not want to flatten your race wheels, I suggest you bring a spare set for the funrolls OR use your brakes or bring a pair of rec skates. Bear in mind, previously the Fri nite skate took you into the edge of downtown ATL thru busy city streets, then over to the last couple miles of the course. I'm not sure if that's still the route.
We've always stayed in ATL on Friday, slept in on Saturday, with a leisurely mosey over to Athens at which point we just kind of bop around the shops in town. It's unlikely I'll do either of those skates this year, but I believe Jibs and Jessica are planning at least on the Fri niter. This year we'll leave Cincy at the crack of dawn saturday and go straight to Athens.
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #31
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Dev - come say hi at the Friday night skate.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #32
speedysktr
President of Everything

I have heard from a few members about post A2A activities. Anybody else that wants to hang out, please speak up now so we can get our plans made. All Skatelog A2A participants are invited to join us, this is how you make friends, show up and BS about skating, please feel free to join us. We are planning to go out to dinner after the awards and who knows after that... See above for more info
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #33
online inline

Hey, good luck to all of you. I have no idea when everyone is headed out for the event, so i'll pipe in now...

This is not my thing, and i might as well get that said right up front. But that;s my problem, not yours, so the point is - skating these kinds of distances is an amazing feat by anyone's standards. You guys/gals will definitely have something to be very proud of very shortly. Reading your training logs these last few months, its very apparent how much this has come to mean for you. I'll definitely be thinking of you all this weekend, and i'll be eager to hear how it went.

Remember, give it your best. When it comes right down to it, we're only out on the course for a few brief hours, but we live with the results for days, and weeks, and in some cases, our whole lives.

Hope it all comes together for you guys. I'm already proud of the gutsyness of your undertaking. I know it means something - perhaps a lot - to you all, so give it your best.

And i hope nobody gets too miffed about a bystander offering encouragement. I think it's very cool what you are doing, and i wouldn't want the gang thinking the rest of us aren't with you in spirit on this.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #34
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Jess, Speedy.

PMs sent.
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #35
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Replied!

Thanks oi
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #36
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Thanks to all well wishers, and to the rest of my compadres......
See you soon! We're driving out tomorrow AM, we'll be at the Friday night skate and busing north to Athens Friday night. Whomever we don't catch on Friday night, we'll see you at the 'MANDATORY" meeting on Saturday. God's speed and protection to all participants! JB & the Naplam Balm.
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #37
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Good luck A2A skaters, you crazy guys and girls! Can wait to see your photos and hear all your stories. When you return, lets start a new discussion for "2006 A2A Reports and Photos".

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #38
Pepper Montana

Does anyone know of a person who could drive my van from Athens to Piedmont on Sunday? That would make my life easier. It is a really sweet 2005 Grand Caravan with the Stow N' Go seats. Oh yeah, it has a thumping V6 that growls out some sweet notes on the on-ramps. Anyone? Anyone? Lemme know...
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM   #39
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Just talked to Jessica (on phone), she finished with an awesome time of 5.48, possibily 3rd or 4th overal women, missing the win by less than 30 min. ldskater, gless and speedy were in the 6's range, while JonB and Napalm did it in 9 something. Congratulations everyone

Should be interesting to hear all their stories when they get back.
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM   #40
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Just confirmed that Jessica is 3rd overall women.
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote