S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #1
GLiB
Junior Member
 
GLiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Humboldt County CA
Posts: 26
Question Plates?

Ok, Here we go... As I mentioned in a different post I'm building OD quads. It seems the logical place to start is plates. I would appreciate any reccomendations and or advise on choosing and mounting.

Thanks in advance, GLiB
GLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default You want answers? We got question?!

GLiB,

Good info is a prerequisite for good plate advice answers.

How big are you? weight & foot size.

Where & how do you skate outside?

Quality of surfaces? Hills to handle?

Athletic shoe or skate boot preference?

$ budget?

Will you ever want room for >70mm wheels?

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
GLiB
Junior Member
 
GLiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Humboldt County CA
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
GLiB,

Good info is a prerequisite for good plate advice answers.

How big are you? weight & foot size.

Where & how do you skate outside?

Quality of surfaces? Hills to handle?


Athletic shoe or skate boot preference?

$ budget?

Will you ever want room for >70mm wheels?
-Armadillo
175 lbs. size 11 mens

This should answer the next three questions-
Nestled cozily in the deep deep north of California sits my favorite trail the Hammond Trail. A 5 plus mile trail linking Arcata and Mckinnleyville in Humboldt County CA created for hiking, biking, and equestrian use it is graced with wonderful ocean views, challenging hills, and 100s of cow plops.

The most challenging sections definately are on the northern and southern ends. On the northern end there is a section that is completely dirt for a few hundred yards of steep downhill. (Not fun on quads no matter what wheels you're wearing). The chosen way to avoid this is to get on the side of the 101 fwy, skate down the hill, (if you haven't skated down the side of a semi-busy freeway with the traffic coming at you at 65 mph you haven't lived!), jump the fence and get back on the trail where the pavement starts. Going up the hill is exciting too. At the southern end of the trail lies the Hammond Trail Bridge an old railroad bridge that spans the Mad River. Upon crossing the bridge going north you come to a section of road made up of broken concrete and dirt followed by an extremely steep uphill made up of not much better concrete and littered with cow plops affectionately known by the locals as Cow **** Hill. An awesome hill to bomb going south even if it is crazy rough. From there it levels out and it's a quick skate into McKinnleyville. The rest of the trail is super smooth and makes it's way through Redwood groves and parks with the northern most section passing sand dunes and ocean views.

Definately a skate boot.

I am not against spending money on something that will last.

I don't see the point in having small wheels.

Thanks in advance, GLiB

"Every lesson I gave I learned something new." Randy Rhodes
GLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Iggy
DGS Racing
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PITTSBURGH, PA
Posts: 3,398
Default

Sure Grip Marathon plates. I love my Marathons for outdoor and for indoor speed skating. Mount them with the front axle as far forward as you can get and the rear axle under your ankle.
__________________
Skate Drama Free
"Ultimate V - Like a skate mullet." -dvw
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5
cass38a
Senior Member
 
cass38a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Sure Grip Marathon plates. I love my Marathons for outdoor and for indoor speed skating. Mount them with the front axle as far forward as you can get and the rear axle under your ankle.
Agreed
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default Your plate choice dictates what other options you can handle.

The Sure Grip Marathon plate has the good feature of a wide top for good boot/shoe engagement, and has decent elevation from top of wheels.

Some not so good things:
1) fixed position toe stop means you can't do a reverse plate mount to get a HEEL STOP - must be adjustable. You really want a heel stop! Bolt on option also exists.
2) plate is rather stiff and will pass most vibrations right up into your feet.
3) rubber pivot cups take a beating outdoors & need to be monitored/changed BEFORE metal-to-metal contact happens. They do help some ith vibrations though.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish
 
Doc Sk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Big hill on Mars
Posts: 12,168
Default Uh Are you sure??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
The Sure Grip Marathon plate has the good feature of a wide top for good boot/shoe engagement, and has decent elevation from top of wheels.

Some not so good things:
1) fixed position toe stop means you can't do a reverse plate mount to get a HEEL STOP - must be adjustable. You really want a heel stop! Bolt on option also exists.
2) plate is rather stiff and will pass most vibrations right up into your feet.
3) rubber pivot cups take a beating outdoors & need to be monitored/changed BEFORE metal-to-metal contact happens. They do help some ith vibrations though.

-Armadillo
The SG Marathon is NTS... You are thinking about the Dominion Marathon perhaps? There is also a version of that plate with a 5/8 toestop... Marathon 5.
__________________
"The difference between good skates and great skates comes from knowing where to get the numbers."
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Null Object
Forward Mounted
 
Null Object's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
1) fixed position toe stop means you can't do a reverse plate mount to get a HEEL STOP - must be adjustable. You really want a heel stop!

-Armadillo
This confuses me. Wouldn't a heel stop mean you need to stick you leg out past your centre of gravity in order to wedge the stop into the pavement?

So there is a chance where the stop could catch on a crack etc and jar your leg?

Another example would be running with a broomstick in front of you scraping along the ground. Anytime the stick could catch a crack and stab you in the guts. If you know what I mean.
__________________
Carlo Big Roller Australia 1982 - 1987
Null Object is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default The tilt of your ankle regulates the degree of braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null Object View Post
This confuses me. Wouldn't a heel stop mean you need to stick you leg out past your centre of gravity in order to wedge the stop into the pavement?

So there is a chance where the stop could catch on a crack etc and jar your leg?

Another example would be running with a broomstick in front of you scraping along the ground. Anytime the stick could catch a crack and stab you in the guts. If you know what I mean.
By keeping your two rear wheels on the ground and raising just the front wheels, with your foot slightly forward, the brake comes into gradually stronger contact with the ground. This style braking is much more effective than dragging a toe stop behind you.

For strong fast stops you can squat down low and apply both heel brakes at once by leaning back to the rear.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #10
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
The SG Marathon is NTS... You are thinking about the Dominion Marathon perhaps? There is also a version of that plate with a 5/8 toestop... Marathon 5.
This is the Marathon that my web search gave me:

http://www.planetonwheels.com/store/...-COMPLETE.html

I guess there is a nylon one too:
http://www.seskate.com/skates/qplate/Marathon4.htm

Both seem similar.
-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #11
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default Get a 195mm axle-to-axle plate - nylon if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLiB View Post
175 lbs. size 11 mens

This should answer the next three questions-
Nestled cozily in the deep deep north of California sits my favorite trail the Hammond Trail. A 5 plus mile trail linking Arcata and Mckinnleyville in Humboldt County CA created for hiking, biking, and equestrian use it is graced with wonderful ocean views, challenging hills, and 100s of cow plops.

The most challenging sections definately are on the northern and southern ends. On the northern end there is a section that is completely dirt for a few hundred yards of steep downhill. (Not fun on quads no matter what wheels you're wearing). The chosen way to avoid this is to get on the side of the 101 fwy, skate down the hill, (if you haven't skated down the side of a semi-busy freeway with the traffic coming at you at 65 mph you haven't lived!), jump the fence and get back on the trail where the pavement starts. Going up the hill is exciting too. At the southern end of the trail lies the Hammond Trail Bridge an old railroad bridge that spans the Mad River. Upon crossing the bridge going north you come to a section of road made up of broken concrete and dirt followed by an extremely steep uphill made up of not much better concrete and littered with cow plops affectionately known by the locals as Cow **** Hill. An awesome hill to bomb going south even if it is crazy rough. From there it levels out and it's a quick skate into McKinnleyville. The rest of the trail is super smooth and makes it's way through Redwood groves and parks with the northern most section passing sand dunes and ocean views.

Definately a skate boot.

I am not against spending money on something that will last.

I don't see the point in having small wheels.

Thanks in advance, GLiB

"Every lesson I gave I learned something new." Randy Rhodes
Your preferred path dictates a LONG plate FORWARD mount scheme.
For size 11 this would be an ~195mm Plate.
I would advise a SG Nova plate, but it tops out size-wize at ~190mm
A plate with a wide top at both toe & heel is best, so you can do a reverse mount if you like to have a heel stop. You might do better with 8mm axles too.
Wheels => Velocity Race 70mm (I have an extra set - PM me)

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #12
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default Marathon confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
The SG Marathon is NTS... You are thinking about the Dominion Marathon perhaps? There is also a version of that plate with a 5/8 toestop... Marathon 5.
This is the Marathon that my web search gave me:

http://www.planetonwheels.com/store/...-COMPLETE.html

I guess there is a nylon one too:
http://www.seskate.com/skates/qplate/Marathon4.htm

Both seem similar.
-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #13
wire1967
Senior Member
 
wire1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 395
Default

These are the plates I think Doc is talkiing about. They were made by Sure Grip

__________________
Wanted: Black Majic Wheels
wire1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #14
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default Those look great - nice & wide at front and back

Well my only question would be can you get them in a 195mm axle-to-axle?

They may be on the stiff side, but they look plenty strong, and you can't beat the adjustable pivots!

A powerful bolt-on heel stop would also likely work on those trucks.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #15
wire1967
Senior Member
 
wire1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 395
Default

I can try and find out for you. They are hard to find haven't been made in years. I am getting ready to put these on my white redlines.
__________________
Wanted: Black Majic Wheels
wire1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #16
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default They are for GLiB who started the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire1967 View Post
I can try and find out for you. They are hard to find haven't been made in years. I am getting ready to put these on my white redlines.
They are for GLiB who started the thread
Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #17
wire1967
Senior Member
 
wire1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 395
Default

Ok I didn't think your skates looked that big
__________________
Wanted: Black Majic Wheels
wire1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #18
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left
 
Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Youngstown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire1967 View Post
These are the plates I think Doc is talkiing about. They were made by Sure Grip

That would be the one.

I have a bare set of plates without action. If I remember, they were around 7.5" when built up. I am pretty sure they came longer.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #19
GLiB
Junior Member
 
GLiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Humboldt County CA
Posts: 26
Default What Model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire1967 View Post
These are the plates I think Doc is talkiing about. They were made by Sure Grip

Are these Marathon 5's then? They look like they would work great. The closest thing I could find was these
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3477/...b18c2874_o.jpg
Are they the same plates w/ different trucks?Would the plate for a size 13 be around the 195mm length?

Thanks for all the help and info everyone!-GLiB

Last edited by GLiB; August 27th, 2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: picture added
GLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #20
adam4584
need to skate more
 
adam4584's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: weatherford, Tx
Posts: 288
Default

no that just the marathon. marathon 5 is a different plate i believe.
__________________
Bont QBW, 650 NTS Pro Lines
Old Skool 195's laser elite wheels
adam4584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.