S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old September 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
newellcr

Default Chicken or proper form?

Hello Folks,

I figured that I’d try my old inline skates before I got too far with an outdoor quad purchase. I had a day off today so I gave it a whirl. My wheels were slicker than slick on the damp to wet asphalt. The acorns and wet leaves didn’t help either. The good news is that I didn’t crack, twist, or scrape anything valuable. This is unchartered waters for the inlines. I skated about two and a half miles today.

I have a question about quads, again. When my inline wheels hit an acorn, twig, or whatever, I found that I picked my feet up (or at least put more weight on my heel). This helped me go over the junk. I think the term is ‘stroking’ – push with the right skate, the foot swings behind you and you lift it and bring it back, then push with the left skate, the foot swings behind you and you lift and bring it back, and repeat with the right and so on. I’d stoke, or quick hop to the non stuck foot.

So the question, is this the right way to go over debris, or am I just a chicken and should roll over it without major reaction? And if I am just a chicken, what should I expect with outdoor quads? (grin)

Thanks,

Chris
newellcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM   #2
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Yes, lifting your feet or at least your toes is the proper way to go over the rough stuff. Works the same way on quads.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

yep, you're doing right. it's always good to be ready to step to the other foot.

skating on wet pavement is very difficult, to me. be careful out there...

anything you really felt with the inline will bring the quad to a nearly complete stop. quads are particularly more sensitive to something like an acorn. not saying it's a bad thing. just a fact of life, no matter how many capital letters someone uses or how far forward the plate is mounted. skating quads outdoors is awesomely cool.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM   #4
newspix1

Default acorns and twigs

newellcr,

It stands to reason that skating on rough terrain, acorns and twigs with quads can be a bit trickier than skating the same with inlines. However, my biggest concern is that you're skating on wet surfaces. I think you're asking for trouble by doing so. I hope you're wearing lots of padding, wet pavement hurts just as much as dry!

As far as skating over debris with quads, I always try and keep my non weight bearing skate ready to jump forward and take over in the event my other skate should get hung up in some road funk.

Best,

A.J.
newspix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:45 AM   #5
newellcr

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies. Today probably wasn't the best to scratch the itch, but it was the day off of work. I was careful, the hazards were easy to see other than the wet, which was a little surprise. I used the old inlines today. They are lightly used. I have never made friends with them, but wanted a gut check on skating outdoors before I purchase outdoor quads. I used the knee, elbow, and wrist guards, and a helmet today. The gear and I are fine.

I might be able to make friends with the inlines out of necessity, but I think I have some jam in me that needs serous attention.

There are skaters locally, but somehow, I'm kind of on my own. So extra thanks to all for the help.

Kind Regards,

Chris
newellcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Freckles
Quad Skate Enthusiast

In two different lessons with different instructors, I learned and experimented with both bearing down harder on the surface I was skating on and also lifting my weight up over the obstacle or stepping, like you describe. For me, I found that they were better for different situations.

1) With soft wheels and small debris or joins in the path, keeping my speed up and sinking my weight made the small hazard almost un-noticeable and made me feel more confident and balanced (and tough!).

2) With harder wheels, it felt jarring to skate directly and "heavily" over cracks, and twigs were tripping me up more, so I'd lift up my weight and take the pressure off the front wheels just a bit. And obviously there are some things you (or, rather, *I*) just can't skate over directly: Things that roll (round twigs), things that are big (stepping up onto a curb) things that are slippery (wet leaves or cherry blossoms).
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote