S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old September 9th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #1
sk8scott

Default How *not* to pass on a crowded trail!

This should be common sense, but I guess not everyone knows that passing someone at a blind curve is a bad idea!

I was finishing up my 20+ mile skate, just a mile or so to go, and had a good pace going on a slight downhill. I came up to this blind S-curve, with a fence bordering my side. As I rounded the curve, I see two women on bikes right in front of me, trying to pass a runner. I swerved to my right to avoid them, but they didn't leave me with any path to work with. I clipped the fence and down I went, saying "That's what happens when people are on the wrong side of the path" while I was still in the process of skidding and tumbling across the asphalt.

The runner was freaked, and she kept asking me if I was okay over and over, like she didn't believe me when I said yes. The bike women just stopped and stared, probably too stunned to say anything. Someone with slower reflexes, or a very fast cyclist, likely would have plowed them over! I didn't give them too hard a time about it (they were kinda cute, after all), but I did let them know that it probably wasn't the best spot for them to try to pass someone.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #2
online inline

There's a few situations similar to that on the trails i skate, and it's fairly common practice for an approaching skater to yell a warning or blow a whistle as they approach the blind corner. The story i've heard is that on one such blind corner a few years back, a trail user was killed when they collided with a cyclist. Neither could see the other approaching.

On blind corners like that, and i know of atleast two in my area, i wish they would install some kind of fisheye mirror so you had a hint if anything was approaching around the corner. A stinkin' stainless steel umbreakable mirror. How much could it cost? If there was even the slightest risk of some driver scratching their precious car, you know there would be every precaution in the world... If we only took as good care of ourselves, and eachother, as the average citizen takes care of his car.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #3
sk8scott

Online, a mirror would be a *great* idea at the curve in question. The only problem is, there's nowhere to hang it on the side that would actually be useful.

I usually do yell a quick "heads-up" or "coming down" as I go into curves like this one. The thing is, I thought I was in the clear when I saw the runner, so I didn't say anything. Then a split-second later I realized 2 bikes were in my lane, coming right at me!

----Scott
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #4
online inline

Last year, i had a similar incident when i was approaching a line of pedestrians walking abreast on the trail, towards me. A bike heaeded in the same direction as the walkers (towards me) decided to pass them as i was only about 20 feet away, and he was staring straight down at a root poking its way up through the asphalt, so he didn't see me. I yelled and pulled off into the grass on my right trying to run as fast as i could in order to slow down. The bike freaked out and started jerking his wheel left and right real fast, with his mouth wide open. The bike was losing it and he bailed, coming off the trail onto the grass in my direction. I jumped into the air and sailed into a mucky algae filled ditch as my skates landed in unison and sunk dowm about half way to the cuff with a big sucking sound. I turned around the biker was laying on his side in the ditch behind me. As he pulled himself up, he was covered from head to toe on exactly half his body with algae, and looked like a Matisse painting, half his face one color and half mucky brown green. He kept saying over and over 'i'm sorry...'
I didn't say a thing.
Finally he said, I didn't see you, whcih was true because he was too busy looking down at the root. At that point, i just give him a bewildered look that said 'well, there you go, Einstein.'
By the time i got home about $30 of bearings had ceased.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with blind corners, but it goes to show you that others will vear into your path, and if you skate enough, it will happen.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #5
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
(snip)Anyway, that has nothing to do with blind corners, but it goes to show you that others will vear into your path, and if you skate enough, it will happen.
Very true. I had many a close call on the VA Beach boardwalk when I lived in Norfolk, as there are understandably lots of clueless beachgoers strolling around. I did have one collision, at very low speed, with a kid on a razor scooter who turned right in the same direction I did when I tried to avoid him. I caught him and kept him off the ground while I hit the concrete. Fortunately, his dad was clued-in and was not mad at me, instead calmly telling his son that he needs to pay attention!

Of course, it doesn't even take crowded trails or jumping off the pavement to trash one's bearings and skin. I got caught in a downpour doing a hill skate yesterday, and my bearings are toast! Since I was a couple of miles uphill from my starting point, and I hurried down to minimize the time I'd expose my skates to the rain, I slid out on a couple of tight downhill turns. It's strange how wet pavement seems to generate a lot more friction with skin than with urethane...

----Scott
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #6
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Last year, i had a similar incident when i was approaching a line of pedestrians walking abreast on the trail, towards me. A bike heaeded in the same direction as the walkers (towards me) decided to pass them as i was only about 20 feet away, and he was staring straight down at a root poking its way up through the asphalt, so he didn't see me. I yelled and pulled off into the grass on my right trying to run as fast as i could in order to slow down. The bike freaked out and started jerking his wheel left and right real fast, with his mouth wide open. The bike was losing it and he bailed, coming off the trail onto the grass in my direction. I jumped into the air and sailed into a mucky algae filled ditch as my skates landed in unison and sunk dowm about half way to the cuff with a big sucking sound. I turned around the biker was laying on his side in the ditch behind me. As he pulled himself up, he was covered from head to toe on exactly half his body with algae, and looked like a Matisse painting, half his face one color and half mucky brown green. He kept saying over and over 'i'm sorry...'
I didn't say a thing.
Finally he said, I didn't see you, whcih was true because he was too busy looking down at the root. At that point, i just give him a bewildered look that said 'well, there you go, Einstein.'
By the time i got home about $30 of bearings had ceased.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with blind corners, but it goes to show you that others will vear into your path, and if you skate enough, it will happen.

Great story. I think you showed a lot of self control OI. I think I might have headed towards the pedestrians and crashed into them instead of risking heading off the trail. I guess my first instict is self preservation.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #7
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Napalm and I encountered one of these situations on Saturday. She took off in the lead on the first mile and within the first 1/4 we come up to a family gathering in the middle of the trail - actually across the whole trail, Dad, Mom, two kids, baby stroller and dog on leash. They're just standing there looking at us approaching at 15mph. Nay calls out for clearance twice and they just keep looking. So I passed her and took the lead right past the nose of the dog, I swear I was on less than 8" of asphalt. The guy just looks at me and says "go ahead". Fortunately the dog didn't do anything, even though I brushed his nose on the way through. We turned around at the 4 mile mark and coming back up to the same spot they're all over on the grass now, they guy picks up his dog, sets him on the side of the trail and takes the leash off. As we smoke past he gives the dog a hand signal to stay. He was obviously using us as a training exercise for his dog. What a chump. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #8
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Heading north on our Bosque Trail in ALB from I40 overpass and the family from hell appeared. They were on bicycles and the little girl was in my lane. I yelled twice to clear the trail and she continued on in my lane. I braked and came to a stop just in time. I was told I did not belong on the trail. I told some trail cops on Mtn bikes and they looked for the family without success. It really sucks buy such is the nature of the trail skate!
Phil
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #9
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I've similar close calls.

Most of the bike paths in RI have posted signs at just about every crossing, parkling spot, etc.. that state , in huge lettering:

WALK / RUN / JOG ON THE LEFT FACING CYCLISTS AND SKATERS

Unfortunately, only 50% of the pedestrians heed these signs, so they tend to be all over the place.

What really gets my goat is when you have 2-3 pedestrians walking abreast (like in Scott's scenario) and the refuse to relinquish their position on the trail.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Skating in an area where most people have never seen an inline skater in real life, it's even worse. They walk three abreast, focused only on the text message they're copyediting, until they hear the T Stop From Hell right behind them. Then, to add insult to near-injury, they dramatically clear the sidwalk and wait on the grass as if I'm eleven feet wide and towing a Chrysler sideways. It drives me mad, it's like they're saying "Oh sorry, we didn't realize you needed the entire trail, unlike us normal people." I then make it a point to use only the rightmost five inches of sidewalk as I pass them in hopes that they'll realize I could have breezed by them cleanly if only I could have trusted them to walk in a straight line for three consecutive moments.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #11
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........

When you're 20 feet from a bicyclist (not a cyclist who's used to this) and call the customary "on your left" (or gauche, as we did in Montreal) with your intention to pass them on the left. They panick and steer TO THE LEFT, right in your path.

I've had to ride the grass on more than one occasion because of this.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #12
skaterdog

A couple of weeks ago I had an uncomfortable passing situation. I was coming up on two women walking to the right of the trail and gabbing away to each other...I mean both of their mouths were constantly moving at the same time so I'm not sure who was listening. They were walking a dog alongside them to the right of the path.

I called out my pass and of course they didn't hear me or ignored me...then the dog sprung out towards me dragging his leash behind him. They were "walking" him without actually holding the leash. The dog crosses in front of me and I have to hop over the dragging leash...he swerves back again and I have to hop again. I finally get clear of him and I yell at the women...keep your dog on a leash, you're going to kill someone.

I hear one of the women call back...."he is on a leash" ...as I skate on down the trail.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #13
Exyled
Exyled Member

Let me guess...the one that yelled he's on a lease was blonde right???
Exyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #14
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........

When you're 20 feet from a bicyclist (not a cyclist who's used to this) and call the customary "on your left" (or gauche, as we did in Montreal) with your intention to pass them on the left. They panick and steer TO THE LEFT, right in your path.

I've had to ride the grass on more than one occasion because of this.

That's why I hollar "Passing left!!!!" removes some ambiguity.

Who knew that cheese was dangerous?
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #15
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
call the customary "on your left" (or gauche, as we did in Montreal) with your intention to pass them on the left. They panick and steer TO THE LEFT, right in your path.
I have to admit that while I've never actually caused an accident that way, I have more than once started to move in the direction somebody yelled at me before my brain processed the command fully. It's kinda like one of those tricks that show how the brain works by having you read the names of colors aloud but the words are printed in different colors, like "red" printed in blue ink.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #16
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

The big downhill in central park turns sharply to the left and it is a very dangerous blind curve. Last night once I emerged from that curve I saw two people right in front of me crossing the street. I freaked out! Luckly they ran and I didn't hit them. I believe if they were a little slower I would have run right onto them, since I just am not able to swerve around that fast, especially going down that hill.

It is definetly something to watch for if you plan to skate in central park.
dcuper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #17
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Yeah, I hate the "head on with biker" thing. After getting sick and tired of screaming "your other left idot", I just yell "PASSING". I do this rounding any curve I can't see what's coming.
Thinking about a horn.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #18
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Yeah, I hate the "head on with biker" thing. After getting sick and tired of screaming "your other left idot", I just yell "PASSING". I do this rounding any curve I can't see what's coming.
Thinking about a horn.
I have a friend who bought a 130db horn for his bike...I want to know if he now wears ear plugs when he rides

My funniest "stupid things other trail users do" was the three abreast walk, and at my command of on your left, the left and center walker swapped places...does me much good.

Then there is the car that used the bike path for the U-turn...
Or 2 adults, 1 stroller and 5 German Shepard dogs...

The idiots are out there...and they won't see us!
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #19
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I had a police car use a bike path as a shortcut one time. Talk about surprised commuters...
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #20
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
I had a police car use a bike path as a shortcut one time. Talk about surprised commuters...
That is definitely in the weird category.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote