S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #61
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
Chuck,

I like your new avatar pic! Much better than the motorcycle/skater one!
Thanks. I actually wanted to use the picture I have for my profile picture now, but it comes out too small in avatar form.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #62
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Chuck; like the new avatar. It appears that MN_Mike also changed to a "SL Montreal team" theme. Is any one else changing?

BTW I think it was an amazing fete what you people did out there at Montreal. I wish I could have been there skating. All along I was thinking "what could a bunch of team skater wannabes, that never met, never trained, really competitively do?" I just kept thinking that it was just a novel idea. Boy was I shocked.

And what about that MoreCowbells? Read this post from exactly 4 months ago. What was acomplished in such a short time, this dude just ain't human.

I'm so proud of all of you. <sniff sniff>
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #63
speedysktr
President of Everything

Default if you wish you had been there, the year isn't over!

Hijack alert!!!

People,
It's events like this that change the course of your skating and your outlook about skating. A2A is like this. Please believe me when I tell you skating something like this or A2A creates bonds with other skaters that you feel in your gut, heart and soul. Take your skating as well as your relationship with other skaters to the next level and seize the potentially limited opportunity of skating something like A2A. How many of you have watched the Ironman Hawaii on TV and felt your heartstrings pulled by the compelling stories shown every year. As skaters, this is your opportunity to be those stories. Why wait and watch as someone else digs deep, believing in the unbelievable when you have those subtle lingering beliefs about yourself? You can do this. If I have to step back from my race and court the next generation of Skatelog A2Aers to the finish line, I will do it.

Mark my words.

If you commit, listen to me and follow my training suggestions, you won't want me there, you'll want to do it on your own just like I did my first time.

Think about it and start making your way to the sign up sheet.

You won't regret it.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #64
MN_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Chuck; like the new avatar. It appears that MN_Mike also changed to a "SL Montreal team" theme.
Yes, not a very flattering pic, but I feel it best represents the latter hours of Montreal, as the picture was taken right after my 11th lap, about 16 hours into the race.

Also, speedysktr, you are very convincing. I'll have to look into A2A a little more. It's a race I've always known I'd do someday, but I'm hoping it is sooner than later.
MN_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #65
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
.........also changed to a "SL Montreal team" theme. Is any one else changing? ......

MNGreene

There goes another one.

You might have something there speedy about the bonding thing.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #66
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

A2A's on a Sunday Sheldon....No excuses there...

Who knew that cheese was dangerous?
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #67
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I changed my avatar yet again to something more appropriate for the race. This was me changing my wheels for what I believe was my first of 5 times.

1) put on rain wheels once and didn't need them, since it dried up before I skated (about 3pm, Saturday)

2) put dry wheels back on from above (about 3:15pm, Saturday)

3) put rain wheels (2 MPC Storm Surge and 2 MPC Street Fight wheels per skate) on for the late evening deluge and my 3 best lap times of the race (about 10:30pm, Saturday)

4) changed wheel configuration due to ground starting to dry (about 7am, Sunday)

5) changed back to all Street Fight for dry conditions (about 9am, Sunday)

The wheels I brought worked extremely well. I skated on all MPC Street Fight Extra Firms wheels in the dry, then split 2 Storm Surge Extra Firm and 2 Street Fight Extra Firm for the wet. (SS were in the first and last positions on the skates) Doug was using MPC VT Extra Firms for the dry and I cautioned him about using them in the wet, so he used the other half of my 2 sets of wheels for the wet.

It was fun??? scrambling to clean and repack the bearings every time we paused after skating through the rain.
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #68
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Mike View Post
Also, speedysktr, you are very convincing. I'll have to look into A2A a little more. It's a race I've always known I'd do someday, but I'm hoping it is sooner than later.
There's always someone your pace to skate with at A2A. My sister (blue blouse in the cowbell pic above) has only done one skate race and that was last year's 87 mile A2A. She actually took her time to skate with skater's she met during the weekend. A2A has always been my favorite event, though Montreal's team aspect probably is my new favorite. You can have the floor in our Athens room for Friday and Saturday nights if you decide to give A2A a shot this year.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #69
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8crazy View Post
Gopherfan ... Joel says he's looking forward to seeing you in Duluth and New York. Obviously his "retirement" was shortlived. By my calculations (and I would know because I'm married to him) it was about a week!! I guess you just can't stop a skater. Did he mention the "Defi" to you??? It's quite interesting ... 128k on the streets and pathways of Montreal with just a map and written directions to help you through. Quite an intriguing race!!!

Christine
He didn't this time, but last year he was trying. After last year's A2A he mentioned Defi would be his last event before retiring from racing and wanted me to give it a try. I thought he was crazy, but I see he couldn't give up the skating! I'll look if I can make it, but my boss at work already complains at how often I'm gone skating. He wants me to get married, settle down, and stop skating. We recently had some lay-offs. Is it wrong that I was dreaming about how much skating I could do if I was on unemployment?
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #70
panch0

Chuck,

you look more like a Formula One car with so many wheel changes!!

I can just picture Annalisa with a Black and Decker drill and a 4mm Allen wrench tip!
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #71
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Chuck,

you look more like a Formula One car with so many wheel changes!!

I can just picture Annalisa with a Black and Decker drill and a 4mm Allen wrench tip!
LMAO!

Don't need to strip another axle hole though. I've been through that already with my Tru-Rev frame. (disclaimer . . . NO, I didn't use power tools on that frame, just old-fashioned t-wrenches and a little too much muscle)
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #72
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
NO, I didn't use power tools on that frame, just old-fashioned t-wrenches
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #73
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Well, I figured I have to put up a disclaimer, since I was accused a long time ago of canting my original Tru-Rev frame that cracked at the front mounting point.

I've been in the game long enough to know what would mess up a frame.
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #74
panch0

Quote:
I've been in the game long enough to know what would mess up a frame.
Quote:
t-wrenches and a little too much muscle)
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #75
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Actually, a t-wrench doesn't apply as much torque as an L-shaped wrench does. At least that's been my experience.
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #76
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Congratulations!

Thanks for the photos! Great Going to Lawrence! WOW!
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #77
panch0

Quote:
Actually, a t-wrench doesn't apply as much torque as an L-shaped wrench does. At least that's been my experience.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #78
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
You might have something there speedy about the bonding thing.
No question about it.
Do you know who I met and skated most of A2A '98 with? Eric Gee.
I kinda doubt he remembers me, but I have a really cool pic of us at the halfway point.

From the '98 results:
32. 05:06:38 284 Thomas, John M30:39 33 16.83
33. 05:06:39 38 Langton, Kevin M30:39 35 16.83
34. 05:06:40 168 Day, Mark M30:39 36 16.83
35. 05:06:41 368 Humphrey, Dennis M40:49 43 16.83
36. 05:06:42 195 Farnsworth, Mark M18:29 27 16.82
37. 05:06:42 161 Peterson, Tara F30:39 31 16.82
38. 05:06:43 190 Matthews, Duke M30:39 34 16.82
39. 05:06:44 320 McGuire, Matthew M30:39 35 16.82
40. 05:06:59 318 Gee, Eric M18:29 26 16.81
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #79
samurainoir

Default Flying Fossils

Quote:
They placed 2nd overall in the fitness category, which we were in. There was actually talk about bumping them and the 1st place team up to the elite category, since they were going so fast, bit that never happened.

The awesomely speedy Flying Fossils came in second and took the silver in the Fitness category (behind my team, Ottawa Inlines Rabid Lap Dogs) and an incredible fifth placement overall amongst the 76 teams participating in this event, including the Elites!!!

In my book, the Flying Fossils were the true Elites at this event. They were only a lap and change behind us at the end of the day. The FF provided us with some very fun and friendly competition, and it truly was an honour and a privilege to be sharing a podium with these fellas at the conclusion of 24 Hours of skating.

Their youngest guys at the age 55, are generally 10 to 20 years older than most folks on my team (our second fastest guy is 50), and more than a quarter century older than the two teams that came in closely behind them.

They beat the Montreal team Les Clowns and the French team from Cannes (#17) who all looked to me to be in their twenties. At one point a member of Les Clowns wandered over to our paddock, which we shared with to the Fossils beside us, and marveled on at length that a group of Senior Citizens were beating them.

Huge props should go to my friend and TISC team-mate Stephen Fisher for having the brilliant idea of forming the Flying Fossils Team. Ive been skating with great guys like Ed Duncan and Bob Harwell at inline events for the past few years and I think its fantastic that they have a team of this caliber.

My hope is that The Flying Fossils become a staple and tradition at Inline events and in the Montreal 24 hour in particular, and I can only in my wildest dreams dare hope that I would be able to join them in twenty years time.

Those Flying Fossils skin-suits looked really awesome too!

samurainoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #80
samurainoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Thought you might find this interesting. This is from Cale Carvell of the Flying Fossils and Team Rainbo:
It is always so interesting to read the perspective of another skater, thanks for posting Mr Carvell's insights. My Hat's Off to Cale! Is he the gentleman with the ponytail? I remember that guy was pounding out the laps in the rain when I was on my shift up until about 3 in the morning when I took a break, and he was still at it when I came back around 5 as the sun was coming up. I remember my jaw hit the pavement... THAT GUY WAS STILL AT IT!!! I could barely function with an hour sleep, and here he was still going like the Energizer Bunny. Amazing.
samurainoir is offline   Reply With Quote