S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old February 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
pgick

Default San Gabriel River trail, Duarte, CA

This trail goes from above the 210 fwy adjacent to the 605 south to the beach about 35 miles I guess. But the section I an referring to here is from the bottom of Santa Fe Dam south 15 miles. This trail has been redone about 1 1/2 years ago and is still in great shape. The only bad section was at mile 6 thru 7.5 and that has just been redone. Now the entire upper section is very smooth asphalt. The only bits to interrupt a smooth skate is a tunnel at mile2 that holds a few inches of water after a rain ( up to 1 week after) then the check dam crossing at mile 7.5 as measured from Santa Fe Dam you have to climb a short ramp and then descend a narrow ramp with a sharp turn at the bottom. ( side step or hold the fence) At mile 8.5 you switch river sides. The last slow down is a narrow underpass tunnel that you need to enter slow due to darkness an possible trash. This is about 1 miles after the river side switch. These problems sound like a hassle but then again the rest is very, very smooth without any rough sections like the lower 1/2 of this trail has. The grade drop of 450' is handled with several short sloping sections instead of sloping the entire trail. The 15 mile point heading south is at Santa Fe Springs Park. To park at the dam and not get a ticket you exit the 605 at Arrow Hwy and head east less than a mile. Right after you cross the bike path/river you will see a large distribution center bldg on right. Just east of this on Rivergrade Drive there is an empty parking lot at this corner. From here it is just a 150 yard skate back to the trail head. From this lot you can also get to the Santa Fe Dam skate I mentioned in an earlier post.
Enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76944389@N06/6897579811/
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #2
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgick View Post
This trail goes from above the 210 fwy adjacent to the 605 south to the beach about 35 miles I guess. But the section I an referring to here is from the bottom of Santa Fe Dam south 15 miles. This trail has been redone about 1 1/2 years ago and is still in great shape. The only bad section was at mile 6 thru 7.5 and that has just been redone. Now the entire upper section is very smooth asphalt. The only bits to interrupt a smooth skate is a tunnel at mile2 that holds a few inches of water after a rain ( up to 1 week after) then the check dam crossing at mile 7.5 as measured from Santa Fe Dam you have to climb a short ramp and then descend a narrow ramp with a sharp turn at the bottom. ( side step or hold the fence) At mile 8.5 you switch river sides. The last slow down is a narrow underpass tunnel that you need to enter slow due to darkness an possible trash. This is about 1 miles after the river side switch. These problems sound like a hassle but then again the rest is very, very smooth without any rough sections like the lower 1/2 of this trail has. The grade drop of 450' is handled with several short sloping sections instead of sloping the entire trail. The 15 mile point heading south is at Santa Fe Springs Park. To park at the dam and not get a ticket you exit the 605 at Arrow Hwy and head east less than a mile. Right after you cross the bike path/river you will see a large distribution center bldg on right. Just east of this on Rivergrade Drive there is an empty parking lot at this corner. From here it is just a 150 yard skate back to the trail head. From this lot you can also get to the Santa Fe Dam skate I mentioned in an earlier post.
Enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76944389@N06/6897579811/

Have ridden this one on my bike as well. Gotta try and skate it now

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote