S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM   #281
Ancient1

Tracy,
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missi.t View Post
Well done Jim proves that ambition isnt only for kids, onwards and upwards !!!
Old October 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM   #282
CyCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
I had my first interview. I was told I was competing against some top performers in Miami that have been with the company for decades. I'm not worried. The interview went great. I had great answers and I made them love me. I have a great chance, even though I only have 2 years in this department and 3 years with this company. I think that my 30 + years in the industry will offset my competitions 20 to 25 years of experience with the company.

I have been working my butt off to get exposure. I think I am the only one who took the extra effort to contact previous bosses and current store managers to send a letter to the hiring manager on their thoughts about me. Of course that is a risk if they don't think of me well, but I am confident. The interviewers said that the letters were very impressive. My answers were quick and direct.

Only issue is that I have to move, and that is the only negative. I expect an answer next week. I expect them to say that they want me to move to Miami. Lets see what they have to say.

Jim this is extraordinary. I'm happy for you.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun when I say great news. It sounds very positive from this end. You're confident and smart. And I'm so happy for you that you're still losing weight. Me too. A little here and there. It all adds up.

Today or tomorrow I'm going back to the rink after two months off. That should be interesting.
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:55 PM   #283
Ancient1

Cynthia,
Thanks. I haven't heard the results yet. I will let you know, good or bad as soon as I hear.
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #284
Ancient1

Still 275, but I can now wear 44's. I saw myself in a security monitor the other day at work and I did not recognize myself. It's the first time in a long time that my shoulders are much bigger than my waist. I thought... well who is that muscle bound guy, then I realized it was me. WOW!

On the down side, my diabetes has hit hard. I was in the 300's and my vision was way out of focus. It is now around 200 (still way too high). Changed my diet to remove sugars, but that now causes me to get hungry. AH! The pain, the pain. Ok, I just have to be careful and strong. I am trying to deal with this with diet first, before going to drugs that are bit harsh on the liver and kidneys. So far it is working. Most of my vision is now back, only a little off. I can see I am making very good progress without destroying my body in the process.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM   #285
Ancient1

Default Just an update

I should start off with: I am fine and doing well, but I have had a few issues.

About 8 years ago I was borderline type 2 diabetes, which is about 120 to 125 glucose level. All was fine and I was testing regularly until I had to get a job. I found myself out of insurance and I was holding on to my meter and test strips longer than I should have. I didn't know that the chemicals inside of them would get stale or dry or whatever and throw off the reading. So I didn't know I went from borderline to full blown diabetes. Over the last 3 years, my vision started going crazy and I got PAD in my toes and my feet and started to get them in my hands. I just thought I was getting old. I lost lots of energy and started getting very bad headaches.

Sheesh I make it sound like I was ready to die, but I wasn't. I am a tough old man and can take it. My vision got so bad and I had one test strip left. I used it, and even though it was way out of date, it shocked the heck out of me. My sugar level was 317 and that was after I fasted for almost 2 days.

Ok, no more sugar at all, no more vodka or bourbon, no more rice, potato's, corn or anything very starchy. That was about 2 months ago. I have to wait till Jan before I can use my insurance, but I did break down and buy some good test strips and I have been going natural remedies because I don't want to toast my liver or kidneys. I have been slowly dropping about 25 points a week. For the last week I've been hovering about 150, and I am thrilled to death... Hmmm! scratch that word death, it sounds so final.

I can now see well without my glasses most of the time and it isn't very bad on the times that I don't see perfect. The numbness in my feet are almost gone, numbness in hands are gone, headaches still come and go, but not bad. I have lots more energy now. But since I changed my diet, my weight hasn't dropped much. I had to get this sugar thing in control first. Soon I can start working on my weight again which will help and lowering my blood sugar.

Finally I can see good results, but it's very slow. Once I get my blood sugar down to around 125, I will be a lot happier.
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #286
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Jim

I'm so glad you caught it and are feeling better. Keep it up.

S
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #287
Reserector
ameteur debunker

I was thinking about you this afternoon, Jim. Just out of the blue. I'm glad you checked in.

I was thinking about you getting back to skating. Losing enough weight to get back to it on any level, is incredible.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #288
Ancient1

Mark,
that was kind of you. For now everything is stopped. Partly because of my diabetes and weight, part because I was just butting my head against the wall trying to get practice time from the rink owner. I need to find another rink. The only other one here in Tallahassee might let me practice, but that floor feels like a death trap. It has bumps and things embedded under the coating of the floor. It's like skating on the sidewalk. The next closest rink is in Thomasville Ga, which is about 45 miles from my home. I have not been in there, and it is very small. The distance is an issue, the size is not if I can get the practice time and the floor is good, I will try to work it in my week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
I was thinking about you this afternoon, Jim. Just out of the blue. I'm glad you checked in.

I was thinking about you getting back to skating. Losing enough weight to get back to it on any level, is incredible.
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #289
DanSchallock

Jim, sorry my reply is late. I have had some personal issues and been away from the computer a couple of weeks. Anyway, I'm glad your taking the medical stuff seriously and doing what is right for your health. Also I have heard from people several times that when your blood sugar and hormons, etc, are off... losing weight and getting in shape doesn't work right... so maybe by getting that stuff in balance your weight will drop faster for you too.
Take care,
Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #290
Ancient1

Dan,
I think it will help once I can get the real meds I need. I had to stop one of the main things that helped me control my weight. Not taking the sugar substitutes was a major key to my weight control. Now I have to drop the sugar and go back to the substitutes. As I suspected, my hunger has increased. At least my blood sugar has decreased.

I will get it worked out over the next few months. At least I am figuring it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
Jim, sorry my reply is late. I have had some personal issues and been away from the computer a couple of weeks. Anyway, I'm glad your taking the medical stuff seriously and doing what is right for your health. Also I have heard from people several times that when your blood sugar and hormons, etc, are off... losing weight and getting in shape doesn't work right... so maybe by getting that stuff in balance your weight will drop faster for you too.
Take care,
Dan
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #291
KMA

Hi all,

For me the key to controlling my blood sugar is being fit.

I am not diabetic, but hypoglycemic. I was told that it can be a precursor to diabetes, and sugar definitely affects me.

When I was heavier (180lbs., a size 16, and horribly out of shape) one small dish of ice cream I would shake and feel yucky for a day.

Now Wednesday after practice I had. A hamburger with a bun, a small chocolate shake and an order of fries (I love In and Out) no reaction.

I have lost 17 lbs. and I am in the best shape of my life.

So what I am saying is keep working on the exercising and eating right and eventually it will be ok

I never. Thought I would be able to eat what I want and not feel yucky.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #292
Ancient1

I had my doctor visit 2 days ago. Had blood work done. I'm waiting now for results. My doctor said he will get me back into shape again. He will be working with me to clear up the issues in a way that won't harm my organs and won't adversely affect my weight loss.

My wife is now in total support. She has put me on the newest nutrisystem and she is joining me. SHE SAYS SHE WANTS TO SEE ME FLY AGAIN...

YES! DOUBLES HERE I COME...

on a side note. I went skating 1 week ago and the floor was great. Just enough slide to get my IB upright looking nice. A few days later I was working on a computer at one of my stores when the store manager came up to me and asked if I went skating a few days ago. I stopped and wondered where that question came from... I said yes, it was Thursday. She said she was there and could not believe it was me out there. She said I skate very well. Too bad she didn't see me 30 years ago. Anyway, I thanked her for the complement.

I am so glad my wife wants to see me do my doubles. I wish I were younger so I could do my triples again, but what the hey. I will be happy to get the doubles and fly, and maybe a sit jump change sit spin again. I really would like to be as good as I was in my 20's, but I know that I don't have near the strength and reflexes. I will be content with great doubles and a few spins.
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #293
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Nothing but good news.
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #294
Negative Nancy
Mrs Self Destruct

Hi Old1, I don't know you at all, but have a suggestion for you.

You're already partway to a Paleo diet, why not try it whole hog for a month?
This book explains it: http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solution.../dp/0982565844

You can also check out this really long and well researched link. Good info here: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/...he-paleo-diet/

It's been wonderful for myself and skate mech.
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #295
Ancient1

Nancy,
Cool info. Sounds a lot like what I was doing when I shed 30 lbs in a month. I will probably go on the paleo as soon as I finish my nutrisystem commitment and have my blood sugar stabilized.

Thanks so much for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Nancy View Post
Hi Old1, I don't know you at all, but have a suggestion for you.

You're already partway to a Paleo diet, why not try it whole hog for a month?
This book explains it: http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solution.../dp/0982565844

You can also check out this really long and well researched link. Good info here: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/...he-paleo-diet/

It's been wonderful for myself and skate mech.
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #296
Ancient1

blood sugar is down to 135 today. Meds are working. Was not able to get it below 150 till I got the meds. Goal is to get it between 100 and 105 shortly after I wake up. Nothing like waking up just to stick my finger with a needle. OUCH!

BP meds are now being used to get my BP down to 120/75. At doctors office it was high, even for me (160/100). my norm all my life was about 130/85, even as a kid, it was there. Doctor was not alarmed, but did want to address this a bit more, especially at my age.

So I am on my way to get healthy and start dropping weight again.

Updates on weight as soon as it starts dropping again.
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #297
DesertSk8er

Default Hurray for home front support!

Ancient1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
My wife is now in total support. She has put me on the newest nutrisystem and she is joining me. SHE SAYS SHE WANTS TO SEE ME FLY AGAIN...
Yay! With your spousal unit not only supporting you, but joining you in the adventure, well...gosh you're just about already there! From your posts it seems she did a 180 on the cooking. Tell her I think she's awesome for so thoroughly supporting her hubby. Yup, you're gonna fly again!
DesertSk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #298
Ancient1

Marie,
Thanks. I will tell her.
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:55 PM   #299
Ancient1

Blood sugar is now down to 113. Now starting to rebuild my strength and loose my weight again. Nutrisystem is ok.

I can feel the improvement each week. Only get to skate 2 hours a week. Not near enough, but it will have to do. I need more core strength. I know some people watching think I am crazy working on my arm position and doing leg swings, and edges and I am still wobbling too much. My IB upright spin is sometimes great, but mostly not so great. Too many kids getting too close when I start to spin causing me to abort. Makes it difficult to practice. But I will do the best I can.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #300
DanSchallock

Glad your on the up swing Jim! Keep us posted!
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote