S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 11th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #61
Ancient1

Default 298.0 - Friday 11-Feb

And the weight just keeps on Dropping. 298 even this morning.

Today I will have a Ham Sandwich on sour dough with mustard, pickle, swiss and tomato. For Dinner I will have a 400 cal mexican dinner (enchiladas, beans and rice) The last one I had was fan...tastic. I will have some peaches for desert.

My last meal was last night (chicken and shrimp, peppers over pasta with an Alfredo sauce). Just at 400 calories. That was at 5:30 pm last night, it is almost 7am and I am not the slightest bit hungry and I feel alive. My only other meal yesterday was a roast beef sandwich as I had planned that day.

I did get hungry an hour before lunch, but that is ok. It made the enjoyment all the better.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #62
Ancient1

For the next 2 weeks I am scheduled to work only weekdays. So Saturday and Sunday would be my treat days. No greasy burgers for me. I think I will take my wife out on Saturday to Red Lobster. The Broiled Fishermans Platter sounds nice. Sunday I will do my best to keep her at home and eat something here.

I did the calculations recently. My weight is dropping faster and faster. I went from 305 to 300 in almost 3 weeks, with the biggest drop in the last week and a half. There was almost no change in the first 1.5 weeks. Lately I have been dropping close to a half pound a day (2 lbs in 4 days). I wonder if it will remain steady for awhile, or speed up more or slow down. I have no intention of changing what I am doing. I like eating this way. No hunger pains, and it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase: "No Pain, No Gain", and that is the way I want it to be.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #63
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Talking That's where my doctor says I should be, 160!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Ray my friend, I hear ya. Getting it off is tough, but keeping it off is tougher. I will be so happy to get down to 196, but my goal is about 160. 7 down and only 138 lbs to go.
back when I was competing, I was about 148, and 5'9-1/2 inches tall.. When I was racing motorcycle I was around 170, and when I stopped doing that I shot up to 230-240 for a while!!!

I doubt that 160 is achievable for me, I like food way too much :-) But somewhere in the low 180's would be nice, and sustainable???
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #64
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
I doubt that 160 is achievable for me, I like food way too much :-) But somewhere in the low 180's would be nice, and sustainable???
Maintaining 160 will involve the same daily calorie intake as maintaining 180. It'll just take longer to get there.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #65
DanSchallock

Hey Jim,
So my experience was something very similar to whats happening with you.
At first my body did nothing for like a week.
Then I started dropping and it got to .5 a day or once in a while 1lbs a day. That would go for about 5-8 lbs then it would stop for 2 days, then on the 3rd day I would go up 1-2 lbs (at first I was angry and didn't understand), then it would start its .5 lbs a day drop for another 5-8 lbs.
It was the cycle my body would follow. It was almost like after 5-8lbs my body would try to stop the loss and maintain... but the calories were still low and I kept the exercise up so it would start to drop again.
All that continued till I got to 190. From that point on the loss came more slowly. Also from that point forward I upper what I ate a bit to more of a "maintain" quantity. But as I skated more, the weight started coming off more, just more slowly. .5 - 1lbs a week. That continued till I hit 180lbs. Now for at least a month I have slowly dropping to a all time low of 174lbs but it frequently goes up to 176, or even 179 if I eat really heavy food over the weekend, or food without alot of sodium which makes me retain water. I don't think I am moving much more from this point and so from 175-180 seems to be my floating range. If my leg strength increases I might gain some muscle mass weight (a pound or two I would guess).
So enjoy the fast loss for now. If it stops or even goes up for a couple of days don't panic... give it couple of days and it should start back down again. Then just like stretching the last 20 pounds should take a little longer.
Awesome progress Jim... keep it up!
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #66
Ancient1

Dan,
Thanks for the heads up and the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSchallock View Post
Hey Jim,
So my experience was something very similar to whats happening with you.
At first my body did nothing for like a week.
Then I started dropping and it got to .5 a day or once in a while 1lbs a day. That would go for about 5-8 lbs then it would stop for 2 days, then on the 3rd day I would go up 1-2 lbs (at first I was angry and didn't understand), then it would start its .5 lbs a day drop for another 5-8 lbs.
It was the cycle my body would follow. It was almost like after 5-8lbs my body would try to stop the loss and maintain... but the calories were still low and I kept the exercise up so it would start to drop again.
All that continued till I got to 190. From that point on the loss came more slowly. Also from that point forward I upper what I ate a bit to more of a "maintain" quantity. But as I skated more, the weight started coming off more, just more slowly. .5 - 1lbs a week. That continued till I hit 180lbs. Now for at least a month I have slowly dropping to a all time low of 174lbs but it frequently goes up to 176, or even 179 if I eat really heavy food over the weekend, or food without alot of sodium which makes me retain water. I don't think I am moving much more from this point and so from 175-180 seems to be my floating range. If my leg strength increases I might gain some muscle mass weight (a pound or two I would guess).
So enjoy the fast loss for now. If it stops or even goes up for a couple of days don't panic... give it couple of days and it should start back down again. Then just like stretching the last 20 pounds should take a little longer.
Awesome progress Jim... keep it up!
-Dan
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #67
Ancient1

Default 297.8 Saturday 12-Feb

Today only dropped .2 lbs. Now at 297.8.

I did some searching last night. This is what I found, some of which I already knew, some I suspected.

It takes a + or - 3500 calories to raise or lower weight by 1 pound.
My weight, height, gender activity says I should be using between 3,100 and 3,600 calories a day to just maintain.

When I get down to 200 lbs, I will need about 2,000 to 2,400 calories to maintain, depending on activity.

Today I am off again. Already planned my meals. Of course my wife wants to go out today. But this time we are going to Red Lobster. I have already decided on the wood fired Grilled Shrimp, scallops and Chicken. Salad with vinaigrette dressing and up to 2 of the cheese bread. No butter, no sauces. It will be just over 1,000 calories. I will have about a 500 calorie or less dinner tonight. My wife agreed to the Red Lobster. Yeee Haaa! No greasy burgers today.
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #68
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Wink I went trrough the numbers game!!

Quote:
Today only dropped .2 lbs. Now at 297.8.

I did some searching last night. This is what I found, some of which I already knew, some I suspected.

It takes a + or - 3500 calories to raise or lower weight by 1 pound.
My weight, height, gender activity says I should be using between 3,100 and 3,600 calories a day to just maintain.

When I get down to 200 lbs, I will need about 2,000 to 2,400 calories to maintain, depending on activity.

Today I am off again. Already planned my meals. Of course my wife wants to go out today. But this time we are going to Red Lobster. I have already decided on the wood fired Grilled Shrimp, scallops and Chicken. Salad with vinaigrette dressing and up to 2 of the cheese bread. No butter, no sauces. It will be just over 1,000 calories. I will have about a 500 calorie or less dinner tonight. My wife agreed to the Red Lobster. Yeee Haaa! No greasy burgers today.
I went through the numbers game when I first started my Diabetic diet regime, and I was being very strict on my intake, and on eliminating all the Sugars and Carbohydrates. The Diabetic Dietitian, suggested that I reduce my intake to 1200 Calories daily. For the first three or four weeks I struggled to get over 1,000 Calories a day, many days I didn't even top 800 Calories.. But then I started having issues working out, and skating, I would quickly hit a wall.. The Diabetic Dietitian went over my program, and said that I was hitting it pretty hard, and therefore needed to up my Carb intake, and she felt I needed the sugar boost and storage that provided given my level of activity..

Unfortunately I have sort of rediscovered some bad habits, and have gained back a few of those hard lost pounds.. And while I am back to skating three days a week again, I still haven't found my way back to the health club and my regular three days a week workouts..

After my next eye surgery, this Thursday and the healing period I have to get back on that work out horse, and trim back my diet, and trim back down.. Less you catch me and pass me on the way to 160 ...
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #69
Ancient1

Ray,
I don't think you have any worries about me catching you. Best of luck with the eye surgery. Yes, I noticed I hit a wall today too. I have been religious on my diet. I am taking in plenty of carbs and no problem with the energy level, but my weight is stalling as will be seen in my next entry. I am glad that Dan posted that warning a few back about weight sometimes will level out and sometimes go up. I have not gone above 2000 calories in a day religiously. Mostly I have been at 1000 calories.

Not to worry though, I have no problems staying on this diet. I actually enjoy it very much and still not hungry. I have lost a 2 notches in my belt so far. I have dropped from an (ahhh! this hurts to say...) ugly 50" waist to an almost equally ugly 48" waist. I can't wait to get down to a 32 or 34 inch waist. It is so difficult to find pants to fit me in Walmart. I usually have to go to a fat mans store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
I went through the numbers game when I first started my Diabetic diet regime, and I was being very strict on my intake, and on eliminating all the Sugars and Carbohydrates. The Diabetic Dietitian, suggested that I reduce my intake to 1200 Calories daily. For the first three or four weeks I struggled to get over 1,000 Calories a day, many days I didn't even top 800 Calories.. But then I started having issues working out, and skating, I would quickly hit a wall.. The Diabetic Dietitian went over my program, and said that I was hitting it pretty hard, and therefore needed to up my Carb intake, and she felt I needed the sugar boost and storage that provided given my level of activity..

Unfortunately I have sort of rediscovered some bad habits, and have gained back a few of those hard lost pounds.. And while I am back to skating three days a week again, I still haven't found my way back to the health club and my regular three days a week workouts..

After my next eye surgery, this Thursday and the healing period I have to get back on that work out horse, and trim back my diet, and trim back down.. Less you catch me and pass me on the way to 160 ...
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #70
Ancient1

Default 298.4 Sunday 13-Feb

Ouch! I gained half a pound and I have been religious on staying below 2000 calories on my days off, and around 1000 calories on the rest of the week. Still I am not discouraged. I was informed this would happen as a natural occurrence. I can keep the way I eat now as a lifestyle because I enjoy it so very much. I just wonder how long I will hover at this weight before I start dropping again.

I will continue to keep posting my weight. This is a countdown to when I can skate again, but instead of a time countdown, it is a weight countdown. I need to plan on getting my video camera setup for that first day back at my low weight. I want to post what I can do at a decent weight with only the handicap of no practice for such a long time. I also need to prepare to get some slicker wheels to get the same feel I had when I use to skate. I am also reconsidering sending in my Super Deluxe plates and getting them refurbished. Lots of dreams that are depending on my weight loss.
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #71
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool I was very proud!!!

I was very proud when I managed to get into size 36 pants.. When I moved out East in 2004, I was 220, and wearing 42-44's..

Unfortunately my recent gains have limited my clothing selection to size 36 and higher for now!! I have to get back on the ball again.. Soon

And I can't wait until Friday morning when I can see equally well with both eyes!!!

This eye thing is a double edged sword, yes I can see things I haven't seen in quite a while!!! Very important when driving.. BUT I can also see how old I really look now!!! As soon as I could see after the first eye was done, I noticed spots all over my head??? I hunted down the waif and asked here what they were.. I was thinking some reaction to the eye meds or something??? My wife said, it's just the Freckles you've always had???? I run back into the bathroom, cover the good eye, look into the mirror, no Freckles, uncover the good eye Freckles galore!!!
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #72
Ancient1

Default 299.6 Monday 14-Feb

OUCH! I'm going the wrong way. OUCH! I am being very good. No more than 2000 calories per day. Way lower than I need to maintain.

I'm not discouraged. I don't like the weight going up, but it is expected. I will maintain my eating habits. Today it will be a 600 calorie sandwich for lunch and a 300 calorie dinner. About 150 calories in my daily coffee and tea.
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #73
Ancient1

Dan,
You were one of several Facebook people I befriended. I am so impressed at your pictures of how much weight you have lost. Now that is an inspiration.
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #74
Ancient1

Default 297.8 Tuesday 15-Feb

Yeeee Haaa! Going in the right direction again. Gotta keep maintaining. Never give up.

Thanks everyone for being my support.
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #75
DanSchallock

Hey Jim, yeah don't worry about the stop and up. Did it take about 3 days? If your like me it is going to keep doing that cycle over and over again.
plan on 3-5 days of weight loss again then, boom... stop and gain... but the wave graph will always descend in the long run. The thing is you already have (because of your skating past) the most crucial ingredient to make this happen that most people struggle with the most. DISCIPLINE. stay the course and you will prevail. Last thing I warn of. Sometimes as the discipline of others in your life lessens you can unintentionally become the target of misplaced resentment as a reflection of disappointment in themselves and also a fear of you changing.
Just stay the course, people's feelings... like your body will catch up and get with the program given time.
Good work so far in your new life style.
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #76
Ancient1

Dan,
Thanks. I have no discouragement. The discipline is easy on my part. My wife is always tempting me, but I have learned how to avoid the temptations.

I dropped for a 2 week period about 7lbs. I had 2 days of going up and today it went down. I had a slight energy drain during that time. I think my body was trying to restore the fat, but was unable and it gave up after 2 days. My energy is restored and I am dropping again.

I am beginning to dislike my treat days. I really don't want to eat greasy food now. I just hate to go into a restaurant and my wife eats and I just sit there drinking a water. It feels rude to me... Oh the PAIN, THE PAIN!
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #77
Reserector
ameteur debunker

I recently got back on the wagon, also. I was holding at 210, but started treating myself too much and was up to 217.
I signed up for the Biggest Loser contest at work, and that has givine me real-world accontability.

You have that, Jim, because you know we are all keeping track. It is really cool that your wife is on board. That will help a ton. (Pun unintended, but I thought it was funny. )

I started gaining mainly because I was not properly tracking caloric intake. I was fooling myself into thinking that 50 extra here and 150 there was no biggie. I should have learned from my financial lessons that that is no so. The little bits add up fast.

Because the weather has been so nasty these past few weeks, I have not been skating during the week. In spite of that, I am still losing weight simply because I am taking in less than I am burning. It really is that simple.

What I miss, however, is the benefits of the cardio workout that keeps me from becomeing sluggish. When I skate on the weekend, I feel tired sooner. My legs try to cramp more.

The good news is that the weather is nice once again and by the time I get home today my driveway will be freshly sealed. It will be slick if it gets damp, but when it is dry it should be way smoother.

I guess my whole point about the excercise is that it does not do as much for losing weight as it does for heart health.

I think your goal is very achievable. I hope you don't have many difficult days. I look forward to you getting back on skates.
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #78
Ancient1

Mark,
Thanks for that. I will get back down to 160 to 175 range. That I have no doubt. Once I get my weight down, I need to find a place that will let me jump and spin. I will worry about that when I get my weight down. I now have to achieve the first goal... My weight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
I recently got back on the wagon, also. I was holding at 210, but started treating myself too much and was up to 217.
I signed up for the Biggest Loser contest at work, and that has givine me real-world accontability.

You have that, Jim, because you know we are all keeping track. It is really cool that your wife is on board. That will help a ton. (Pun unintended, but I thought it was funny. )

I started gaining mainly because I was not properly tracking caloric intake. I was fooling myself into thinking that 50 extra here and 150 there was no biggie. I should have learned from my financial lessons that that is no so. The little bits add up fast.

Because the weather has been so nasty these past few weeks, I have not been skating during the week. In spite of that, I am still losing weight simply because I am taking in less than I am burning. It really is that simple.

What I miss, however, is the benefits of the cardio workout that keeps me from becomeing sluggish. When I skate on the weekend, I feel tired sooner. My legs try to cramp more.

The good news is that the weather is nice once again and by the time I get home today my driveway will be freshly sealed. It will be slick if it gets damp, but when it is dry it should be way smoother.

I guess my whole point about the excercise is that it does not do as much for losing weight as it does for heart health.

I think your goal is very achievable. I hope you don't have many difficult days. I look forward to you getting back on skates.
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #79
Ancient1

Default 297.2 Wednesday 16-Feb

Today is another half pound drop. I am excited. This morning I was thinking of how much skating is like life itself. I think I will start a thread about how skating is like life.
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #80
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Quote:
..... This morning I was thinking of how much skating is like life itself. I think I will start a thread about how skating is like life.
They are both like a box of chocolates?