S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old March 5th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #121
DanSchallock

This is like the first hurdle brother... don't get discouraged... get stronger and get through this and the next one will be easier. Just don't like your life, your situation, your environment, anything, make you be anything other than what you ought to be!
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #122
DanSchallock

Hemostasis applies to your body and to the environment around you. THEY ALL RESIST CHANGE.... your the boss of you though!
-Dan
Old March 5th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #123
Ancient1

Dan,
I have not given up. My wife is trapped at home most of the time and she has no desire to drive. When I am off, she likes for me to take her places. Makes those days a bit difficult for me, but she has it difficult the rest of the week.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #124
Reserector
ameteur debunker

You really hit on something that I battle with now, Dan. I not only have to reteach myself how to eat, I also need to train others how to not put so much on my plate, not leave tempting stuff around, and to not cook so much that I have to watch it get thrown away.

I was raised to not waste food. I was expected to clean my plate, but it was never too much. I was always given just enough, and allowed to have seconds when I cleaned my plate.

Since I married, my wife and mother-in-law both loaded too much on my plate. For years I ate it. But no more! It is not easy to break 20 year old habits, but we are all learning the "new normal".

This is a permanent change. Not a passing fancy. I will never be able to eat like I did when I was young.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #125
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Absolutely true. That is one really good thing about the buck stopping here. I'm the shopper and the cook around these parts so whatever I make, they better all be happy to eat. Otherwise, they are all old enough to make themselves a sandwich.

I've lost nary another pound but Coach thinks my club dress needs taking in and I've a few other bits of clothing that are in dire need of replacement since they're getting too uncomfortable to wear. I am, however, sticking to the plan regardless.

ETA: Mark, I read a while back that plates were actually SMALLER when we were kids than they are now. It was something like an average of 2" smaller in diameter. I stopped using "dinner" plates about a year ago and I noticed that every single one of us began to slim out gradually from that change alone. I use them only as serving plates now and we use the "sandwich" plates as dinner plates instead.

S
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #126
Ancient1

Mark,
I was also taught to eat all on my plate... It's tough to leave food behind. When my wife took me to olive garden, I left about a third of my meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
You really hit on something that I battle with now, Dan. I not only have to reteach myself how to eat, I also need to train others how to not put so much on my plate, not leave tempting stuff around, and to not cook so much that I have to watch it get thrown away.

I was raised to not waste food. I was expected to clean my plate, but it was never too much. I was always given just enough, and allowed to have seconds when I cleaned my plate.

Since I married, my wife and mother-in-law both loaded too much on my plate. For years I ate it. But no more! It is not easy to break 20 year old habits, but we are all learning the "new normal".

This is a permanent change. Not a passing fancy. I will never be able to eat like I did when I was young.
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #127
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Default I was wrong

I hopped on the scale today and I have actually lost 2 more pounds. Yay!

S
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #128
Ancient1

Sarah,
Fantastic!
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #129
DanSchallock

It's so hard for me to waste food too. Even when the kids don't eat all the food on their plate I want to finish it. (and I do sometimes )
I remember when I was a kid my mom would ask my Dad "you want the last of this food?" and he would say "no, I'm full"... then my mom would add "ok, I'll just give it to the dog then", and then my dad would explode "ok! Fine! give it to me, I'll eat it!". hahaha...
My mom says "I love you" to me and my sister when we visit by feeding the heck out of us. So does my mother in-law.
In addition to the habit of eating what is served, I also have a sincere "love" of good food. My wife does too. In fact, we honestly think our shared love of food was one of our most commonly shared interests when we first started dating.
Now-a-days I have to be creative, and try to spread out the love through the day a little to not make our daily experience miserable while trying to consume less.
Dinner is probably the hardest, but I just tell myself (and my wife) that instead of seconds I will make us a snack later that night. It gives the food a chance to settle, and then I can make a light snack for us that is more about taste and less about fill. It helps us and makes the night still feel like there was a little treat to it.

Good work Sarah, Jim, everyone. Just keep eating reasonable and skate hard! (Jim replace skate hard at this point with something else... I know your not back on the wheels yet).
-Dan
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #130
CyCy

congrats jim and sarah and everyone else trying to lose a few. jim you're doing great - you're an inspiration. great progress!

I guess I'll join this weightloss bandwagon. I'm watching myself very carefully. Last week, just thinking about getting back to skating, I've been eating less. But being older I NEED less, plus I have a slow metabolism (I'm hypothyroid), so eating less is going to mean eating very little overall, but getting b vitamins and amping the protein to stay healthy.

I can't drink protein shakes so it's up to me to eat protein. eggs are great. any way shape or form, I love the humble egg. meats, cheeses, peanut butter, green salads is the bulk of my dinner. during the day I do not eat much. I'll have a bowl of mini shredded wheat and milk around 10 or 11. then I'll have a few spoons of peanut butter at around 4. the sugar is good and the protein is excellent.

oh and my coffee. gotta have that otherwise i'd just go back to bed.

I like applesauce for dessert/late snack. nothing like a bowl of warm applesauce w cinnamon. mmmm... very comforting with a cup of peppermint tea.

weird right?
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #131
Ancient1

CyCy,
Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
congrats jim and sarah and everyone else trying to lose a few. jim you're doing great - you're an inspiration. great progress!

I guess I'll join this weightloss bandwagon. I'm watching myself very carefully. Last week, just thinking about getting back to skating, I've been eating less. But being older I NEED less, plus I have a slow metabolism (I'm hypothyroid), so eating less is going to mean eating very little overall, but getting b vitamins and amping the protein to stay healthy.

I can't drink protein shakes so it's up to me to eat protein. eggs are great. any way shape or form, I love the humble egg. meats, cheeses, peanut butter, green salads is the bulk of my dinner. during the day I do not eat much. I'll have a bowl of mini shredded wheat and milk around 10 or 11. then I'll have a few spoons of peanut butter at around 4. the sugar is good and the protein is excellent.

oh and my coffee. gotta have that otherwise i'd just go back to bed.

I like applesauce for dessert/late snack. nothing like a bowl of warm applesauce w cinnamon. mmmm... very comforting with a cup of peppermint tea.

weird right?
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #132
Reserector
ameteur debunker

That's interesting about the dinner plate size getting bigger over time. One thing that has gianed in girth over the years is the size of soft drink vessels.
When a fast food joint pushes their rediculous sized soft drinks at me it is all I can do to not get angry. I downright hate the sizes offered at the movie theaters. We had MUCH smaller cups and bottles years ago. That is one thing that I feel is poisoning our culture at our own request.

As for wasting food, it bothers me most when I pay for it at a restaurant. Many places are offering sensible entrees for dieters, though. There seems to be a treand toward dieting in recent years. Maybe I have just become more aware of it.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #133
Ancient1

Default 293.0 Monday 14-Mar

Still losing weight, but it is slow. This last week was difficult. I had to travel a few days so I could not hold my regular eating pattern. I had to eat out. Eating out doesn't do well for my feeding pattern. Nope, not at all.

But all in all, I still lost weight.
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #134
KMA

Happy Pi day everyone.

I am down a pound from last week; 162. Only 17 more pounds to go.

Dinner plates have gotten larger. I have my Grandma's "Franciscan Ware" from 1932 and the dinner plates are about the size of my modern luncheon plates. Also larger are the wine glasses, juice glasses, and waist lines.

My clothes are also not fitting yippee. I even had to buy new bras. I am holding out on the rest of the clothes until I lose the rest. So most pants are saggy and baggy.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #135
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Still losing weight, but it is slow. This last week was difficult. I had to travel a few days so I could not hold my regular eating pattern. I had to eat out. Eating out doesn't do well for my feeding pattern. Nope, not at all.

But all in all, I still lost weight.
Good work! I find it dificult to leave food on the plate, especially at restaraunts. I am getting better at it though.

I am currently closing in on the 200 milestone. I hope to hit it this week. I will celebrate with a distance skate or bike ride. No more food rewards for me. I didn't reward myself with a cigarette at milestones of quitting smoking. Why should dieting be any different?

My church just started a Biggest Loser contest. When they announced that the grand prize was a meal at a restaraunt, the whole congregation broke out in laughter.
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #136
Ancient1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reserector View Post

my church just started a biggest loser contest. When they announced that the grand prize was a meal at a restaraunt, the whole congregation broke out in laughter.
now that is funny.
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #137
Reserector
ameteur debunker

We are learning how to get to Heaven, but being sent early.
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #138
Ancient1

Mark,
You know! I've been told that. Usually from my doctor and my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
We are learning how to get to Heaven, but being sent early.
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #139
Ancient1

Default 289.0 Wednesday Mar 16

Finally I am getting the big drops. 4 pounds in 2 days. For the longest time it was just bouncing around the same numbers.

Total so far is now 16 pounds lost.

Oh YES! YOU HEARD IT RIGHT. I DROPPED 4 POUNDS IN 2 DAYS. TOTAL SO FAR IS 16...

lets do the dance... yes do the dance. oh yeah!
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #140
Reserector
ameteur debunker

It's crazy how that works.