S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #1
WJCIV

Default Wheels for Nationals

I have signed up for Quad Nationals. I'm going to Inline Nationals, and I enjoy competing on quads, so it made sense to stay the extra couple of days.

Anyway, since my newest set of wheels is from circa 2001 (I was out of the sport completely for about eight years), I thought this would be a good time to pick up a new set of wheels.

My preference would be something that rolls more than grips. If I have a problem gripping at the Nationals floor, I will be surprised. If it does happen, I'll just throw on a red Wicked Lips or two.

I am 155 pounds right now, and hoping to lose about 3 more in the next month. My skating style has always been long powerful strides. While I can't break the 10.1 second mark on quads anymore, low 11s (and hopefully high 10s) are not out of reach.

Given this information, are there any recommendations? I will probably order through my coach, and I would like to try the wheels before leaving for Albuquerque one month from today.

(I know there are other wheel threads, but the ones I found are outdated, not aimed at speed, or both).
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #2
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I think the Purple Reigns did most of the damage last year. I was hoping to put some Scotts on the podium this year but I had some things in my life kinda go south on me thats preventing me from going to Nats this year. Next year ain`t touched yet though and things are looking real good for me right now
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #3
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Depends whether you like wider or narrower wheels.

Heard great things about the Purple Reigns(wider) but haven't skated them.

Aussie Scott apparently makes magic custom poured wheels in different widths.

I love my Rollerbones Turbos(Narrowish). Variety of of durometers available. Hands down, best wheel I've ever skated.

Congratulations! Best of luck at the event
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Low-boots

Just outta curiosity... what wheels did you end up using in Albuquerque?
I raced Purple Reigns the whole day (division heats and finals, and relay finals), and was happy with them until the last race, when they started to chatter goibg into the turns.
I'm old school (1960s & 70s stride pattern), so I didn't step going into the turn (I start steping half way thru the turn)... I doubt they woulda held well then either.
I could see using Atomic Reigns mid way thru the day as a better option.
I didn't see any RBT's... and I was lookin for them (I own 3 sets and am trying hard to justify their pricetag).
Low-boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
WJCIV

I went with the Purple Reigns and had no problems. The wheels I have been skating on for practice are all at least a decade old, so it was a significant upgrade in both sticking and rolling. I came in last in Classic men, but I think a lot of that was being worn out from Elite, Senior 2-man inline relay, Novice, and lack of sleep the night before. Even so, I was right with the pack. My partner and I did win the Senior 2-mix pretty decisively. In all, I would say the wheels performed well. I can't say for certain I would not have done slightly better on something else, but I do not feel these held me back.

I start stepping right about the first cone, although I sometimes do a small quick cross to set up for the corner as well. My home rink hasn't been coated in 1.5 years and is pretty slick, especially with my practice wheels, so I felt like I could step all day on the Nationals floor.
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:41 AM   #6
Low-boots

Geez... skatin all those events, I can see why you were tuckered out.
I was exhausted by days end and I only raced quads.
I can't imagine doin all those inline events AND quad events.
Kudo's!!!

I'm havin a beast of a time forcing myself to step into/at the turns... old habits die hard I guess.
I've watched the videos from NM Nationals, and I lost ground on my competitors (2-3 body lengths) by the time I came out of the turns, so I can certainly see where I need to evolve... but dang, it feels so unnatural.
I suppose if I practice on soft wheels, it alleviate some of my hesitancy... I dunno.

See ya at Bells in a couple weeks?
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM   #7
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-boots View Post
I'm havin a beast of a time forcing myself to step into/at the turns... old habits die hard I guess.
I've watched the videos from NM Nationals, and I lost ground on my competitors (2-3 body lengths) by the time I came out of the turns, so I can certainly see where I need to evolve... but dang, it feels so unnatural.
I suppose if I practice on soft wheels, it alleviate some of my hesitancy... I dunno.
No kidding about habits. Do you left kick on the straightaway? I finally got over that. I think the trick is figuring out how to scrub off enough speed soon enough that you are comfortable with that first step. It just feels like you are on the verge of sliding until you have enough practice to know you won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-boots View Post
See ya at Bells in a couple weeks?
That's the plan. Probably the last time I will skate on my quads before fixing the plate placement on my right boot. I wore through a pair of boots last year, and I have never quite been comfortable with where I put the plate on the new pair. It's gotten worse as I've spent more time on inlines and less on quads. I've got all the tools ready to fix it, but things are just kind of hectic right now.
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Low-boots

I've only been to a few sessions (and no practices or gym) since NM, but I hate to pass up on a meet... I get to so few during the season, but I'll likely be there.