S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old October 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #61
quadbob

Thumbs up cheers to tony

and one of the best that ever coached, period! i never had the pleasure of skating for tony, but i shure got my butt kicked buy alot of his skaters.

been out awhile!
quadbob
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #62
xlracer

Bob how the heck are ya man? Good to see you are still around.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM   #63
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
Ok for all of you guys that have been around forever. You will get a kick out of this. The old Dorso's team from Cincy had a reunion a couple of weeks ago.
This is a picture of Tony Kissing and Marcia Yager. Tony has a powder can that was custom painted in the Dorso's team colors. Marcia is wearing her Dorso's uniform from 1974/1975. That was the last year we skated with tights. All of you old timers will remember those days. Wood wheels, powder on everything in the rink and those lovely tights.
This is the part that kills me. Marcia can still wear the same uniform she wore 33 years ago. I bet if she showed up at quad nationals next year she would win any division she wanted to skate. She is in the USARS hall of fame.
I dont have any idea of how many titles she has. On quads and inlines.

Notice the Labeda Tshirt that Tony has on.
I just want to give a shout out to Tony and Marcia. They won't remember me, but I skated out of Toledo Skateland/Ohio Skate in the 70's and did a little speed club.
I remember watching the Cincy team. It was awesome. Of course, we had Lex Kane and his family for fun and entertainment. Mrs. Kane was always about to kill all the kids for something or another!!!
I definitely remember the powder can and the teams. I was an art skater but loved all the guys on the speed teams. They were so manly to a young girl!!!
Duane Dooley was my biggest crush with all that hair!! Sorry to jump in guys but speed skating is a great sport and I loved the thread!! Thanks for the memories.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #64
TONY KISSING

Default LEX KANE

I'd Really Like To Hear From Lex.
It's Bee 30 Years Since I Last Saw Him.
If You Hear From Him Or See Him Cherly
Ask Him To Get In Touch With Me I'd Really Like To Know How He Is???
TONY KISSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM   #65
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY KISSING View Post
I'd Really Like To Hear From Lex.
It's Bee 30 Years Since I Last Saw Him.
If You Hear From Him Or See Him Cherly
Ask Him To Get In Touch With Me I'd Really Like To Know How He Is???
I emailed with Keven VanKirk out of Michigan and he thought Lex was in Utah or Montana I think. I would love to hear form him too. Maybe I will google his name and those states. Cannot be too many Lex Kanes!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM   #66
Hinerikeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl murphy View Post
I emailed with Keven VanKirk out of Michigan and he thought Lex was in Utah or Montana I think. I would love to hear form him too. Maybe I will google his name and those states. Cannot be too many Lex Kanes!
Hi Cheryl,

I'm not sure if we ever met or not. I used to work and skate (sort of) out of Ohio Skate around 1977-78. I remember Lex used to practice at the North rink a lot and I got to know him fairly well. The last I saw of him was in the late 80s at nationals and he was taking pictures of the events. He married one of the Call sisters who were from Cheyenne, so Mantana or Utah may be a good bet. Might even be in Colorado or Wyoming as well. Btw, my dad was the manager of the rink in Cheyenne for a while, right before Rick & Jan Porter took over, so I had heard of the the Call sisters before finding out that he married one of them. I didn't really know them personally though, but I check around and see if I can locate him through somebody in Cheyenne.

I did know a Cheryl Crawford when I was in Toledo, but I don't remember a Cheryl Murphy.

Keri (Sibley)
Hinerikeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #67
cheryl murphy

[QUOTE=Hinerikeri;211111]Hi Cheryl,

I'm not sure if we ever met or not. I used to work and skate (sort of) out of Ohio Skate around 1977-78. I remember Lex used to practice at the North rink a lot and I got to know him fairly well. The last I saw of him was in the late 80s at nationals and he was taking pictures of the events. He married one of the Call sisters who were from Cheyenne, so Mantana or Utah may be a good bet. Might even be in Colorado or Wyoming as well. Btw, my dad was the manager of the rink in Cheyenne for a while, right before Rick & Jan Porter took over, so I had heard of the the Call sisters before finding out that he married one of them. I didn't really know them personally though, but I check around and see if I can locate him through somebody in Cheyenne.

I did know a Cheryl Crawford when I was in Toledo, but I don't remember a Cheryl Murphy.

I am Cheryl Crawford. I am sure I must know you too. I just changed my avatar. My previous one had me and Bobby Calzone as freshman dance team. Did you have a brother or sister? Did you work at the North rink or the south rink or the Findlay rink? Maybe we sure do the private message thing and not hijack this thread. But, concerning Lex, it would be great to know about him!
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #68
Hinerikeri

[QUOTE=cheryl murphy;211272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinerikeri View Post

I am Cheryl Crawford. I am sure I must know you too. I just changed my avatar. My previous one had me and Bobby Calzone as freshman dance team. Did you have a brother or sister? Did you work at the North rink or the south rink or the Findlay rink? Maybe we sure do the private message thing and not hijack this thread. But, concerning Lex, it would be great to know about him!
Hi Cheryl,

I do remember you and I agree that we should take this off line. I send you an email and we can get caught up

Last edited by Hinerikeri; October 24th, 2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Removed my email address
Hinerikeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:47 PM   #69
reefstation

Default powder !

powder ??????

i raced many a race in so. cal. from 1965 to 1971 !

my first encounter was at buena park, cal. rollertorium......
my coach was jack mummert !

all the greats got their start at b.p. !

the L.A.THUNDERBIRDS ROLLER DERBY GANG WOULD SHOW UP HERE !

I KNEW THEM ALL.......

i have a small question for everyone......

what is the real story about ......POWDER !
WHAT WAS IT MADE OF AND WHO MADE/MAKES IT ?

no plastic track or wheel will ever compare to wood and powder racing.

my sister won the west at regonals (A GOLD MEDAL) beat everyone from cal, oregon, nevada, arizona & new mexico !

went to world...... in lincoln nebraska.....in 1970-71
reefstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #70
TONY KISSING

Default 500 meter record quad record

You have to remember the wooden wheel and powder racers
took 3 crosses coming out of each corner and then coasted half the track and half way around the corner. A racer had to do that because of the high speed the hit and the very great roll the
wooden wheels had. Anyone could pass on plastic wheels only
a few could pass at top speed on wooden wheels. It was many years ago and now the sport in this country is very very small.
I heard one regional meet up east had only 25 racers total.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #71
reefstation

Default powder

who made the powder ?
what was the powder made of ?
who has it now ?

these `ARE the most greatest questions in the world.......
reefstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #72
TONY KISSING

Default POWDER

The skate supply companies sold powder
blue or green!
Easiest way is to go to the local hardware
store and buy plaster of paris!!!
Years ago in skate magazine
charles wahlig did and article on how to
powder the track and work it in.
I have the magazine somewhere at home.
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #73
splitwoods

Smile What happened to the powder ???

The first generation of Powder to hit the market came out around 1958 and it was called "Blue Dustless Powder" as I recall it was made somewhere in Pennsylvania. Been too many years since I saw a can of it to give you the manufacturers name. It was OK to work with, as prior to that we all used Plaster of Paris as Tony had related.

The problem with the POP, was as you may presume, we were inhaling that stuff, and it would mix up in the racers mucous membranes...after a while you can imagine the breathing issues....the marathon skaters of the day usually wore a bandana to keep from directly inhaling the stuff....

Once we started using the Blue Dustless, there was no going back to POP!

Once the industry switched away from wood racing wheels, the company that made BDP went out of business.

There were several "Dustless" products on the market but back East where we skated, the blue is what we used at local meets, as well as at State Regional and National competition for many years.

When we ran our company C&L Speed Skatng Eqpt in NJ from 69-75....we developed a product called BOSTIK, which allowed you to coat a wood wheel and run on a Plastic coated floor......No one ever was able to duplicate or replace that wheel coating during that 6 year run we marketed it here inthe US.....like all good things, it went by the boards along with the Wood Racing wheels as the first generation of Plastics wheels hit the market.

Just a little bit of trivia from back in the day.

Splitwoods.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefstation View Post
who made the powder ?
what was the powder made of ?
who has it now ?

these `ARE the most greatest questions in the world.......
splitwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #74
mkmkenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwoods View Post
The first generation of Powder to hit the market came out around 1958 and it was called "Blue Dustless Powder" as I recall it was made somewhere in Pennsylvania. Been too many years since I saw a can of it to give you the manufacturers name. It was OK to work with, as prior to that we all used Plaster of Paris as Tony had related.

The problem with the POP, was as you may presume, we were inhaling that stuff, and it would mix up in the racers mucous membranes...after a while you can imagine the breathing issues....the marathon skaters of the day usually wore a bandana to keep from directly inhaling the stuff....

Once we started using the Blue Dustless, there was no going back to POP!

Once the industry switched away from wood racing wheels, the company that made BDP went out of business.

There were several "Dustless" products on the market but back East where we skated, the blue is what we used at local meets, as well as at State Regional and National competition for many years.

When we ran our company C&L Speed Skatng Eqpt in NJ from 69-75....we developed a product called BOSTIK, which allowed you to coat a wood wheel and run on a Plastic coated floor......No one ever was able to duplicate or replace that wheel coating during that 6 year run we marketed it here inthe US.....like all good things, it went by the boards along with the Wood Racing wheels as the first generation of Plastics wheels hit the market.

Just a little bit of trivia from back in the day.

Splitwoods.....
How you doing Rich?

You brought back some bad(?) memories of painting the bostik on the night before with that brush. Argh!

The greatest invention though was the "spray" bostik. Didn't last as long, it was more to add tackiness to the layer of "paint-on" bostik; but it was surely conveinient.

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #75
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremor View Post
I wonder if anyone would be interested in a wood meet? Do you think it would attract enough skaters to make it worth while for the rink to put it on.
WOW - holy cow I would pay good money to see... or DO... that! That would be cool as hell. There's a rink in Akron Ohio that isn't coated and it's a huge floor..... but I don't think there's any amount of money that would give him incentive to let wood wheels on his floor. I'm sure he'd be scared to death of them messing up his floor.

I remember watching my Dad 'grind' wheels. Even when they switched to eurothane, he would still give those a little grinding when they would get too smooth to help them stick a bit. That was before grooving really. Man, the memories.

That would seriously be cool to watch though.
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #76
Recovry4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommemi View Post
WOW - holy cow I would pay good money to see... or DO... that! That would be cool as hell. There's a rink in Akron Ohio that isn't coated and it's a huge floor..... but I don't think there's any amount of money that would give him incentive to let wood wheels on his floor. I'm sure he'd be scared to death of them messing up his floor.

I remember watching my Dad 'grind' wheels. Even when they switched to eurothane, he would still give those a little grinding when they would get too smooth to help them stick a bit. That was before grooving really. Man, the memories.

Was conversing with Tim Small a few months back. He mentioned that Western in Hamilton was still wood and that they may allow a little powder reunion. Hehe, thanks to Tim, I have wheels.
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #77
eduardoritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommemi View Post

25 years after my last wood skating
eduardoritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #78
splitwoods

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
How you doing Rich?

You brought back some bad(?) memories of painting the bostik on the night before with that brush. Argh!

The greatest invention though was the "spray" bostik. Didn't last as long, it was more to add tackiness to the layer of "paint-on" bostik; but it was surely conveinient.

Mike
Hi Ya Mike:

Always good to hear from you.

Here is the low down on Bostic. We took a solid year to forumulate, the proper chemistry for the Bostic Wheel Coating we packaged and sold during 1970-74. Local and World Champions ran exhaustive tests with regular feedback as we tweaked the product.

If used strictly to the letter as directed on the can, it did not require any help from a secondary product. For the first 3 years or so, we had no negative feedback from any Coach, Rink Operator or Skater.

Eventually skaters would not want to allow proper cure time for the Bostik to tack to their wheels, sometimes painting it on at the rink on the day of the meet! Needless to say, soon as they would hit the first corner the skin would break and Bostik started ooozing onto the floor and aisleway carpeting.

At a Rink Operators meeting shortly after a big meet where the product was being misapplied, it was suggested they try and oultlaw it's use as the floor cleanup was going to be costy to deal with by the operators.

Skaters in the interim scrambled for alternative products and used a wide variety of spray ons, from hair spray, to lacquor and everything inbetween!

They simply eliminated all wheel coatings and sprays the next season as the urethanes and plastics started their intro phase.

Bostic was a good product which allowed the transition from bare wood to plastic coated floors, while still allowing the use of a range of wood wheels......it would be the end of an era....

Splitwoods
splitwoods is offline   Reply With Quote