S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #21
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
guys,guys,guys, come on!
i can't believe your all dwelling on meters vs yards or woods vs plastics! get a grip!
i'm pretty sure what tony is trying to say is do something anything! just promote indoor speed! and he believes quads should be indoors and inlines should be outdoors.
i have know personal interest either way! at least not anymore, ive gotten past the quad vs inline debate!
i could be wrong and have been many times. but i believe tony is simply saying we need to get off of are arses and promote are sport! and he's write!
sometimes you have to stir the pot to get things done! we've become stagnent,
as far as tony goes, some of you that have been disrespectfull should do some research, tony promoted some of the biggest and best meets ever, period! if you haven't been to a meet with 4 or 5 hundred skaters then you have know room to rag on tony! tony has had as many national champions as any coach living. and maybe more! in his day his meets were the ones you did'nt want to miss! and with the likes of tim and tom small,marcia yeager, linda dorso,bobby brewster,dennis howard, bryant huntsberry, and a ton more, his teams were awesome and dominated almost every event at every meet, incuding nationals. i can't remember all the names but these were just a few! tony coached some of the best that ever skated,
period! and should be respected even if you don't agree with his oppinions! i loved woods! but in my hubble oppinion there time has pasted! wich sucks! but by smacking the bees nest you get interest! and promotion! look at how many of you jumped on the band wagon, over meters to yards!lmao. anyway promote! promote! promote! hell even if you don't like quads. if people just skate they will probably end up on inlines sooner or later. so it's a win win for the sport!

bob.
The first post is the only time he is promoting quad skating, but at the cost of inline skaters. His only proposal is Quads indoor Inlines outdoor, and indoor be measured via standard and not metric. As you said, you got over that debate a while ago, obviously he has not.

And you ask to respect a person who responded to me and 2 others stating "You guys are why roller speed skating is where it is. No where!!!" And the only responses were what you just said, that debate should be long gone. No one said *Quad iz Ded - Inline 4Everz*

ALL of roller sports will survive as long as there is interest in spectators and participants, and it is great regardless of when, or how far, because there will always be people who enjoy it in whatever form it is.
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #22
TONY KISSING

Default Bring back the mile

All i'm trying to do is get some interest in guad racing.
Which i feel is for indoors. I skated on racing inlines for a
few years back in the 90s and for you guys who feel i'm
very old i mean 1990s not the "gay 90s" of the 1890s>
the inlines are great for outdoors you can roll over things
and keep right on skating you hit the same things with
quads and down you go.
Lets face quads are in limbo now!! Try something.
Now this saturday night the roller derby match of the season
will be held on quads my daughter skated derby for 5 years
had to quit to take care of her business. She now coaches
a young derby team 17 and under. Her two daughters are on the
team. If you can remember there was a few years back roller
derby on inlines and it went under.
The quad skates derby is doing very well.
Come on guys "most of you don't know what state you are in"!!!

I'll tell you "you are in a state of confusion"!!!!
TONY KISSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #23
skaterdog

Quote:
If you can remember there was a few years back roller
derby on inlines and it went under
It might have worked if they went to wooden wheels on the inlines.

Seriously, in my area quad skating is very popular. I would say it is really a good time to see if a revival of quad speed would work.
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #24
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
It might have worked if they went to wooden wheels on the inlines.

Seriously, in my area quad skating is very popular. I would say it is really a good time to see if a revival of quad speed would work.
They have been trying to revive quads in my area for the last decade and so far it hasn't worked. The numbers keep getting smaller. We run quads at all of out local league meets and for the most part quads will only take an hour to run three distances. At nationals, quads easily fit into 1 day and the numbers at nationals have not been increasing. Lots of people said it would be huge when nationals were in IN, but the numbers did not reflect that.

Quote:
Lets face quads are in limbo now!! Try something.
Now this saturday night the roller derby match of the season
will be held on quads my daughter skated derby for 5 years
had to quit to take care of her business. She now coaches
a young derby team 17 and under. Her two daughters are on the
team. If you can remember there was a few years back roller
derby on inlines and it went under.
The quad skates derby is doing very well.
Derby is also doing very well here, but it has nothing to do with the skates on their feet. I am sure if the rink owner were to arrange a female mud wrestling league, the number of spectators would be about the same. There are male derby teams in the area with some big names from quads speed's past, yet they don't have many spectators. Why? Because it is all about sex appeal and very little about skating.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #25
TONY KISSING

Default Quad speed skating

The inline derby was on tv what else can you ask for???
They had top racers too.
Quad derby has just average people and average and below
racers. Some never skated before but really enjoyed the
derby and joined the teams. Thus they drew their families
friends - neighbors - co-workers etc, etc,
the skate these derbys a the "cincinnati gardens" and they
get really nice crowds cheering for their favorites.
Plus they have $1.00 bottle beer!!!
Quad racing should be like it was local kids (rink rats)
wanting to race.
Whats missing today is all the good old coaches they had
years ago until they were run out of the sport by the
high cost of everything.
Cincinnati - every rink had a team now there are none!!!!!!!
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #26
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY KISSING View Post
Quad derby has just average people and average and below
racers.
I will tell Tony Muse and every active forum member you said hi.
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #27
TONY KISSING

Default Roller derby

At the time i said roller derby had average racers was a
few years back at it's beginning. They are skating better
now with years of practice. Most got into derby and had
never skated. Don't know muse. He came after i left the
sport and i don't care about plastic wheel racing.
And by what i see and hear very few people do care. I had
my day and its long over.
I watch derby because my daughter skated it and now coaches
a under 18 team of girls. We have no male derby here but they
are trying. As for rink owner i don't care what they want.
The derby bouts here in cincy are held at the cincinnati
gardens. There was over 4,000 at the first bout last
saturday nite 3-10-12. Thats a huge crowd for any type
roller skating sport here in the good ole usa.
I was wrong there was no $1.00 bottle of beer - it was
a $1.00 can of beer.
Come guys really i'm on your side why does derby - aggressive
skating and skate boarding go over so well and our sport
doesn"t??????
Quads for sure are here to stay and the rink owner god only
knows what he wants ("i for sure never knew and still don't
i'll be 75") should push all forms of quad skating in their
rinks. I'm for roller rink style racing.
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #28
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Cool I'll Tell You Why Quad Speed Sucks In My Opinion...

The whole effing format is not only painfully boring to watch, the arbitrary distances take what could be a great activity & turn it into "Endurance Racing" from my point of view.

Add to that the overly officiated rules on riding out, contact etc. & you have a sport by & for the participants, whoever they are?

My idea is "Short Track Quad Speed" based loosely on a Derby size track & rules as follows...

1. Double Elimination Ladder, Five Lap Races & Only the 1st place skater from each heat advances. No more rolling into the finals by taking second place!

2. Limited contact that results from competition is allowed.

3. Men & Womens divisions & short race distances creates a sport that requires a minimal level of commitment to participate. Hell, even I can string 5 derby track sized laps together, provided I have some oxygen available between heats. LMMAO...

4. Let's be frank here, I know of a $hitload of Derby hopefulls that either couldn't take the level of contact, commitment or plain skillset to cut the mustard in Derby. These same folks could & would in my opinion dust off their helmets, mouthpiece & R3's for some fairly immediate gratification doing Short Track Quad Speed...

5. NO USARS/WFTDA affiliation whatsoever. USARS killed Quad Speed & is working on doing the same to Rollerderby as we speak. Unless Velvet drawers & frilly shirts are involved USARS only wants to take funds away from your discipline to give to the Art & Freestyle click. WFTDA is too busy stroking their egos & stacking cash before the sport/fad dies out to look at the big picture IMHO...

A simple entry process & affordable fees opens a new sport to the every skater, no spin classes or shaved legs & skinsuits required...

In the "New Millenium" You need to "Cherry Pick" the positive aspects of a dead sport & tweak it to suit modern spectators & participants. Like it or not the old "Quad Speed" is only of any interest to past or present skaters. Even then watching Quad Nationals last July is when I decided the sport needs to evolve if it is to ever approach the levels of success it once enjoyed before people had so many other "Low Commitment" forms of entertainment available to them.

I'd enjoy ANY feesback that present Quad Speed enthusiasts may have one way or the other...

Derrick...
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #29
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR SHELBY View Post
The whole effing format is not only painfully boring to watch, the arbitrary distances take what could be a great activity & turn it into "Endurance Racing" from my point of view.

Add to that the overly officiated rules on riding out, contact etc. & you have a sport by & for the participants, whoever they are?

My idea is "Short Track Quad Speed" based loosely on a Derby size track & rules as follows...

1. Double Elimination Ladder, Five Lap Races & Only the 1st place skater from each heat advances. No more rolling into the finals by taking second place!

2. Limited contact that results from competition is allowed.

3. Men & Womens divisions & short race distances creates a sport that requires a minimal level of commitment to participate. Hell, even I can string 5 derby track sized laps together, provided I have some oxygen available between heats. LMMAO...

4. Let's be frank here, I know of a $hitload of Derby hopefulls that either couldn't take the level of contact, commitment or plain skillset to cut the mustard in Derby. These same folks could & would in my opinion dust off their helmets, mouthpiece & R3's for some fairly immediate gratification doing Short Track Quad Speed...

5. NO USARS/WFTDA affiliation whatsoever. USARS killed Quad Speed & is working on doing the same to Rollerderby as we speak. Unless Velvet drawers & frilly shirts are involved USARS only wants to take funds away from your discipline to give to the Art & Freestyle click. WFTDA is too busy stroking their egos & stacking cash before the sport/fad dies out to look at the big picture IMHO...

A simple entry process & affordable fees opens a new sport to the every skater, no spin classes or shaved legs & skinsuits required...

In the "New Millenium" You need to "Cherry Pick" the positive aspects of a dead sport & tweak it to suit modern spectators & participants. Like it or not the old "Quad Speed" is only of any interest to past or present skaters. Even then watching Quad Nationals last July is when I decided the sport needs to evolve if it is to ever approach the levels of success it once enjoyed before people had so many other "Low Commitment" forms of entertainment available to them.

I'd enjoy ANY feesback that present Quad Speed enthusiasts may have one way or the other...

Derrick...
Sounds like session races are prefect for you! I find it funny that you think anybody could be competitive if the race was short enough. Truth is, unless you do some kind of training, even 5 laps will be too long. As it stands, all of the present indoor races are really short, even the 3k. With your idea of 5 60m laps with no rules you might as well be doing derby because that is what it will turn into. So, will there be rules that prevent people from doing any training? If not, the whole idea is shot. Once 1 person does a little bit of training then everybody else will have to do the same or by lapped by the ones who do (even in 5 laps). This idea sounds perfect for a group of friends who want to get together and skate around someone's basement while drinking shots of Jack between rounds.
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #30
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Sounds like session races are prefect for you! I find it funny that you think anybody could be competitive if the race was short enough. Truth is, unless you do some kind of training, even 5 laps will be too long. As it stands, all of the present indoor races are really short, even the 3k. With your idea of 5 60m laps with no rules you might as well be doing derby because that is what it will turn into. So, will there be rules that prevent people from doing any training? If not, the whole idea is shot. Once 1 person does a little bit of training then everybody else will have to do the same or by lapped by the ones who do (even in 5 laps). This idea sounds perfect for a group of friends who want to get together and skate around someone's basement while drinking shots of Jack between rounds.
Session races or beginner leagues. We have a beginner speed league that is a step up from session races.
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #31
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

What's wrong with skating in basements and drinking shots of jack?
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #32
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
What's wrong with skating in basements and drinking shots of jack?
Nothing But it isn't racing and it will not revive a dead horse (well, maybe the Jack will physically revive a dead horse, but not quad speed).
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #33
quadbob

Cool who knows

who knows what the future will bring! when i started derby had died or at the very least was dieing! and look at it now! i skate both inlines and quads but will always be quadbob! i like both and think they both have a place! the biggest thing i see and have always said is they are differant and should be treated more so. they are so differant in fact they should've been treated as a separate sport intirely! wich they were orginaly. and wich would have made usars more money in the long run. so it was just bad business. usars formaly usac! let inlines basicly take over the sport mixing them with quads at first. instead of forcing to become seperate! now i'm not saying that anything would be differant, heck it might have turned out excactly the same. but buy doing it the way they did it screwed up everything and put us where we are today. inlines have never and i mean never been as popular as quads! they've never seen the numbers quads did! wich is to bad because they are faster then hell! and fun to skate. usars just never promoted either one! they just left us out to dry! heck inlines didn't kill quads usars killed quads along with inlines and basicly all roller sports as a whole!
as far as you folks that think quad nationals is boring or easy! put up or shut up! trust me theres nothing easy about racing on quads! at least at the national level. heck inline regionals is easier then quad nationals. now don't get me wrong nothing is easy!

bob.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #34
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Well said Bob.
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #35
TONY KISSING

Default KUFMAN

How many people get on this web site that are 75 or older???
I've been around since the late 40's. Most of us are using
depends diapers now - taking their afternoon nap.
Tooooooo bad i like quads in a roller rink style roller
speed skating.so i'm counting on you to bring the sport
inlines or quads to the top of all sports.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #36
usask8er1
Matt

I read through this a few times and Im still a bit confused. Sure races arent what they used to be, but that doesnt mean quad skating is a dead sport. In general the rink I skate at has gone from nearly all inline skaters to all quad skaters in the past 15 years. Now I am not as old as you but I can say in the 20 years I have been on skates I dont feel it has died out all that much. Sure racing has but thats in part due to the organization running them, the drama between coaches and teams, and the lack of competitive edge. As a hobby skating is still very much alive, the rink I am at has record turnouts three or four days a week, better then its been in the 40 years its been in business, as a sport its simply changing from speed to derby, tons of amazing old time racers are on derby now. Tony Muse as mentioned before is a great example.
usask8er1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #37
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY KISSING View Post

If you don't know who broke the 4 minute mile time you aren't
much of a sport fan .

Herpel perkins broke the 4minute mile (first)
Guess you aren't too much of a sports fan either then.

The 4 Minute Mile was broken by Roger Bannister in May 1954
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #38
Amefyst

Quote:

Derby is also doing very well here, but it has nothing to do with the skates on their feet. I am sure if the rink owner were to arrange a female mud wrestling league, the number of spectators would be about the same. There are male derby teams in the area with some big names from quads speed's past, yet they don't have many spectators. Why? Because it is all about sex appeal and very little about skating.
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I find that incredibly offensive as a derby player. Get your head out of your ass and at a real modern derby bout. My team focuses on skating for, trains incredibly hard, and most could probably skate circles around you.
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #39
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amefyst View Post
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I find that incredibly offensive as a derby player. Get your head out of your ass and at a real modern derby bout. My team focuses on skating for, trains incredibly hard, and most could probably skate circles around you.
You clearly have no idea what US derby looks like. I have seen pictures and videos from Canadian derby at it looks like a very respectable sport. That is not the case here. Girls in short-shorts, fish nets and low cut tops is not what I call respectable. At our rink, we have two derby teams and they used to come to speed practice to get more floor time. I had to ask them to dress more appropriately to to stop coming to our practices. It is a problem when parents are worried that the derby skaters may fall out of their outfit if they were to take a tumble.

I welcome you to skate circles around me, but you are going to need something faster than quads to do it and you will have to do it on a 100m, 200m, or 26 mile track.
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #40
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Quote:
You clearly have no idea what US derby looks like. I have seen pictures and videos from Canadian derby at it looks like a very respectable sport. That is not the case here. Girls in short-shorts, fish nets and low cut tops is not what I call respectable. At our rink, we have two derby teams and they used to come to speed practice to get more floor time. I had to ask them to dress more appropriately to to stop coming to our practices. It is a problem when parents are worried that the derby skaters may fall out of their outfit if they were to take a tumble.

I welcome you to skate circles around me, but you are going to need something faster than quads to do it and you will have to do it on a 100m, 200m, or 26 mile track.
Careful Kufman your Inline snobbery is showing. You asked the girls to put more clothes on? Are you crazy!
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote