S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:53 AM   #21
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
basically covers most of my gripes.
My lady would have been at Nationals this year on quads, but we couldn't find DEFINITIVE information on very much at all in respect to events, training, specs of the track...nothing.
Sooooo, we are doing our homework this year, and will be blazing in 2013.
But, if ANYONE out there is listening, USARS, for example...how about getting the word out, and updating your site?
What information are you looking for?
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:14 AM   #22
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
What information are you looking for?
Probably what he was asking for... Details details details
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:18 AM   #23
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
Probably what he was asking for... Details details details
lol
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:37 AM   #24
Mark1975

So http://skatersplace.com/ , had the live feed, except for afew people who shared it on this forum, it was not advertised anywhere. Like others mentioned, rinks, websites,etc needed to get the info out. Skaters Place and the usars are to blame also. While watching the quad skating day, Ross the announcer mentioned about the poor donations and lack of money coming in during the quad skating day. I had no problem donationing, but the link did not even work (big fail Skaters Place). Also it was $50 for the upgraded stream, which is not bad if you plan or have time to watch the whole week of speed, really they need other options. Maybe a one day purchase of the upgraded stream, just seams Skater Place complaining about the donations is funny because their setup is poor. They could have brought in alot more money with it designed well.
Mark1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:08 AM   #25
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Its like its our fault for them not getting the word out. Whatever ...
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:15 AM   #26
FXRskater

I think the lack of support goes back to the current skating rink model being broken. Not all, but most rinks now don't have a speed team, a figure/ art team etc. It's just rent the kids some crappy skates and let them flail around for the birthday party. I know rink owners are trying to scrape a living in a tough economy. But having speed/art teams at your rink means you have more good skaters at your sessions. The little ones see them skating and are impressed, " hey that looks awesome I want to do that". When the fast guys on our team are in the session races, you can look around and see some jaws on the floor. Most people don't know how fast fast really is. Hopefully your team members invite the little ones to practices etc. Some kids get hooked, buy skates, (vested interest there, parents will definitely bring them back after that), they invite their friends to skate etc.

If we want to save and grow the sport WE have to all make an effort. Get involved, try to make meets, talk to kids and their parents, volunteer. Apathy may be the biggest thing killing quad speed, and speed in general. I'm going to skate some meets this year, I don't think I'm fast enough yet, but hey, someone has to be last. Besides I need the experience.

I don't think a cool sport like this will fade out. I actually think it's on its way back up.

FXR
FXRskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:11 AM   #27
Mark1975

Very true, I started speed skating when I was 10, when I saw the speed team practice after a session I was at.
Mark1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:18 AM   #28
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
Where was it shown?
At skatersplace.com There was a post up about it.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:22 AM   #29
slowsk8

Quote:
I'm just trying to say that just because people aren't watching doesn't mean they're not interested...
If I search Quad Speed Skate National on Google, I get a page with scores from 2008.
If I search USARS, the first link is not USARS and the second link is for downloading forms.
If I just take USARS and add a .com to the end of it (which is a common strategy), I get a search spam placeholder site.
(The rest of the links that show up for me on a Google search are shaky You Tube videos apparently taken by a cell phone.)

If the question is why didn't people who know about this watch it-- I can't answer that. But if they wanted people who didn't already know about it to find out and watch, they didn't try very hard.
I google USARS and get team USA, click speed skating and it came up.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:41 AM   #30
slowsk8

OK, looking for info, trackand such. USARS site under speed skating has all the rules, age groups, distances for each, track layout etc. As to training there is tons of info on this log. Some of it is even good
As far as advertizing, Sorry but that comes mainly through here, and from the rinks that have teams.
To the age thing, I think more and more of the kids are taking up quad speed with their inline speed or maybe that's just my team. Heck they even have me skating on quads some now.
I say I will never race them, but I used to say that about inlines, who knows??
Now I don't think they are doing quads but I under stand the TURKEY SHOWDOWN in Nov. will be streemed this year. They not only have races but put on a good show too.
The promo for this year is not up yet but Dennis said he will work on it as soon as he gets back from Nats.
If your rink has a speed team ask them about adding some quad speed.
They won't do it unless they know people want it.
If your rink has no speed team, ask them about starting one, or find a different rink.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:47 AM   #31
Nostalgic

I have thought about approaching Mike Fleming at Northridge or Dominic at Glendale to see if they would let me start a quad speed club. Anyone in SoCal interested?
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM   #32
kufman

Quote:
I google USARS and get team USA, click speed skating and it came up.
That is why I didn't understand why he couldn't find anything.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Roller-Sp...d-Skating.aspx
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:26 PM   #33
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
That is why I didn't understand why he couldn't find anything.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Roller-Sp...d-Skating.aspx
Last week when I would google USARS the first return took me to their site where they had the indoor speed nationals predominantly displayed. When I clicked on the event picture it took me to the page where it had a link to skatersplace.com and the schedules.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:10 PM   #34
1888bc
Aussie Italia

Thumbs up please keep me posted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I have thought about approaching Mike Fleming at Northridge or Dominic at Glendale to see if they would let me start a quad speed club. Anyone in SoCal interested?

Yes, 100%
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #35
quadbob

Cool coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
My experience is that quads (generally speaking) do not get any respect from the younger speed generation. And realistically speaking, why should they even care about quad speed. I have found that only those folks who skated speed before inline revolution are the only ones who really seem to care. This year's quad Nats seems to solidify that theory with all the older divisions actually having heats.

I went to my first speed practice since 1987 last November...that's 25 years between practices. I had both quads and inlines in the bag, but couldn't skate at all on inlines. When I pulled out my quads a guy skating the Elementary division actually laughed and questioned how I silly I was for even thinking I could skate speed with those today. Yet his father sat down and actually talked about my skates and how my setup really took him back to when is skated speed. Hell, even the coach told me unless I could cut a 9 second lap, that I shouldn't even consider the quads. So I decided to put the inlines on and haven't touched my quads since then.

But it does appear that at the Thanksgiving meet this year in Greensboro, NC they are going to give quads a go. Now the question is whether or not skaters will embrace this opportunity or laugh at it.
it's been said a thousand times but maybe just maybe it's changing in some small way! there are tons of reasons for the demise of quads speed! originaly it was a tecnic thing. but later it was an ignorance thing! you can skate both! but i believe things are turning around. just like greensboro talking about having quads, lets hope it happens and for those of us that can go we need to!
i still think alot of the problems stem from the coaches. like was stated above if you can't go this fast don't bother. it's almost like they'd rather have a slow inline skater rather than a fast quad skater. i think alot of the coaches now, simply don't know how. or won't try to teach quads. the fact is every team has skaters that are good on both, and some just good on one or the other. but we have to look for them. maybe they practice on inlines and skate quads at sessions. if your skater is not cometitive on inlines, as a coach i'd be trying to get them to skate there quads, (if they can) and maybe they could be competitive. maybe not. but at least they'd be skating not sitting.
the coaches need to promote quads not run them off. now that said not all coaches do this. there are still some that alow and promote quads, so lets keep talking and pushing! derby is helping so lets keep it going the best we can.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #36
Jenne

I thought you honestly wanted to know why people weren't watching. Several of us tried to let you know the obstacles we faced. If you'd rather blame us and imply that we were somehow doing something wrong, that's fine, but when information about your sport is hard to find, don't be surprised when people who would be interested in it decide to do something else instead.

There's a lovely ad bar right at the top of this very forum, which in all of the time I've visited the site has never displayed anything remotely related to USARS or speed skating or nationals. Right now, it's displaying cereal ads. Missed opportunities.

Google returns results based on your previous searches and what you've clicked on in the past. Your results are not the same as others'.

The numbers seem to indicate that people aren't watching. Supporters of the sport can either identify and try to eliminate the barriers or they can defend the way things are currently done.

(This is not a response to quadbob or 1888bc.)
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM   #37
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

I would have to agree with Jenne. The only way people knew about Nationals is mostly by word of mouth, or if you knew exactly where to go.

IF they want people to watch more, participate more, then advertising is required. At rinks where they have speed clubs, web ads... anything to let those who dont know about the sport, or those who have been out of it, where it is and how you can watch/participate.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #38
quadbob

Default agreed

+1
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:49 PM   #39
JandKLarson

I do agree with what was posted above, with a couple caveats.

Alot of people who post here on the Quad Speed forum are already involved in the speedskating community in some form, with a number of people already skating on inlines. Unfortunately, we (and I will put myself and husband Kevin in this category) often forget about those people outside the "presently active" roller speedskating community who might be interested in events like Quad Nationals, like derby skaters, fast session skaters, etc. I would suggest, as we would also do, that if a thread is posted about an event which includes Quads, put it on the main speedskating forum and note "inlines and quads."Or "quad speed event" if that's the case. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put it again on the Quad Speed forum as well. There was a thread on Quad Nationals started in this sub forum back in early May - why weren't some of these inquiries asked back then?? How do we fix that as a skating community to make sure that interested quad speedskaters see such posts and ask questions to get them to Nationals?? Reword the thread name and bump it up occasionally? I think a post in the main speedskating forum with another in quad speed may help.

This forum is a great place for info., but it shouldn't be the only source. As others have said, the word needs to be spread beyond this forum. The web stream is continuing for the next 2 weeks on skatersplace for the artistic and figure competitions. No doubt that artistic skaters who can't go to Nationals, or didn't qualify for Nationals, know about this and I saw a thread on their subforum to that respect. How to spread the word more about Quad Speed? Ask coaches of speed teams to talk about it, rink owners, etc. As for derby skaters interested in quad speed, not sure how to approach that other than maybe asking questions here and encouraging teams to consider speed skating as a supplement to derby.

As far as specific questions about things like age divisions, the track, etc., post a thread here!!! This forum is great in that someone here will always know the answer or where to find it. Yes, the USARS site is a mess. But some of us here (who are both speedskating coaches and skaters), through involvement in speedskating, know where the answers to some questions can be found ("hidden").
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #40
slowsk8

Quote:
I thought you honestly wanted to know why people weren't watching. Several of us tried to let you know the obstacles we faced. If you'd rather blame us and imply that we were somehow doing something wrong, that's fine, but when information about your sport is hard to find, don't be surprised when people who would be interested in it decide to do something else instead.

There's a lovely ad bar right at the top of this very forum, which in all of the time I've visited the site has never displayed anything remotely related to USARS or speed skating or nationals. Right now, it's displaying cereal ads. Missed opportunities.

Google returns results based on your previous searches and what you've clicked on in the past. Your results are not the same as others'.

The numbers seem to indicate that people aren't watching. Supporters of the sport can either identify and try to eliminate the barriers or they can defend the way things are currently done.

(This is not a response to quadbob or 1888bc.)
You seem to take things reather personal. I don't think I blamed anyone, I simply stated what comes up when I google USARS as did Kufman and DiscoStu. The USARS site is not the easyest to use but with some time and effort you can find what you need.
If the only place you look here is the Quad speed then you might have missed it along with much more.
I posted on July 15th a link to the stream on the speed skating page.
That page is for all speed skating not just inline or just Quad.
As to advertizing, wouldn't that be nice. But it costs money, even that lovely ad bar right at the top of this very forum
The inline streaming is not done by USARS, it is done by Skatersplace and they are not making a bunch of money off it. It was put together by Ross, the announcer about 5 years ago and he get no pay for doing it, even with some very long hours. The last 2 years it has covered his hotel room, a place he spends little time, but he still pays his own air fair, meals etc. again with no pay.
So yes the only adds you will see are posts here or on face book from skating friends in the know.
Maybe some day they will make enough money to place adds in every rink, on TV and on that lovely ad bar right at the top of this very forum.