S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 24th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Default wheels for Rolling on the River?

I'm heading to Grand Forks for the first time and wondering what wheels to bring. Are the roads and river trail pretty smooth? If it rains... how slick do they become? If they are just wet (not constant rain) would Black Magic 125 be OK or should I swap to 110 storm surge? Since I'm 195 lbs I go with xxf.

The forecast I see indicates 60 deg, 50% chance of precipitation 7am-9am. Does that sound about right?
Old August 24th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #2
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
I'm heading to Grand Forks for the first time and wondering what wheels to bring. Are the roads and river trail pretty smooth? If it rains... how slick do they become? If they are just wet (not constant rain) would Black Magic 125 be OK or should I swap to 110 storm surge? Since I'm 195 lbs I go with xxf.

The forecast I see indicates 60 deg, 50% chance of precipitation 7am-9am. Does that sound about right?
It's been a couple of years so check for any reports of repaving.

The first long stretch is flat and straight as an arrow but noticeably rough. There was a strong tailwind that year and it was a bit unnerving going so fast on such choppy pavement.

The trail section is very smooth but also hilly and windy. The hills aren't big but the trail is narrow and you go up and down a lot.

Once you go back on the road, it is a mix of smooth and rough pavement all the way in. There is a 90 degree turn toward the finish line that has some pavement gaps.

If there is high probability of rain, I would not use XXF. I used 110mm Black Magic XXF's during last year's wet Duluth. I had a lot of trouble getting power to the pavement. I fell off the A1 lead pack at the Mansions for that exact reason: A gap opened up and despite having the power in my legs, I could not get to the pavement and they got away. Your mileage may vary, of course. I weigh in around 155.

I'm going back to XF for this year's Duluth, same as I used in Grand Forks in 2015. That race prompted me to go XXF because with the high temperatures that year, the XF's felt softer than optimal.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #3
bjvircks
Major Trouble

thx for the info about surface conditions!

as of Friday AM the forecast I see for 7am start is 57 deg, 30% chance of precip with 5mph breeze from east.

man... I've forgotten how far away North Dakota is!
Old August 25th, 2017, 12:12 PM   #4
fuss

Best of luck to ya B!

Quote:
thx for the info about surface conditions!

as of Friday AM the forecast I see for 7am start is 57 deg, 30% chance of precip with 5mph breeze from east.

man... I've forgotten how far away North Dakota is!
fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 01:04 PM   #5
bjvircks
Major Trouble

thx B... gonna need it! You coming?

While Bont's tag line is "Lighter, Stronger, Faster"... mine is "Older, Fatter, Slower"

I don't see any water stations marked on the course map. Do they have them, and if so, how frequent? I sweat an awful lot, even under cool conditions. The ongoing joke is that I can work up a sweat just eating breakfast! I'm bringing my water bottle & holster just in case.
Old August 26th, 2017, 01:53 AM   #6
ese002

Quote:
thx B... gonna need it! You coming?

While Bont's tag line is "Lighter, Stronger, Faster"... mine is "Older, Fatter, Slower"

I don't see any water stations marked on the course map. Do they have them, and if so, how frequent? I sweat an awful lot, even under cool conditions. The ongoing joke is that I can work up a sweat just eating breakfast! I'm bringing my water bottle & holster just in case.
I think there are at least a couple of water stations before the trail section. Since I always bring my own, I don't pay much attention. Some photos off the main page show water stops but nothing is specified of where they are.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #7
bjvircks
Major Trouble

hey ese002...

thx for feedback about course. conditions were cool overcast with almost no wind. all roads & trails bone dry. paving was very smooth and fast for the most part (due to some recent resurfacing?). there was one stretch of chip & seal that was tolerable. at least three water stations at reasonable spots.

the 125 black magic xxf rolled really well and I think were a good choice for me. Wish I could have held onto the lead rec pack to at least half... but just didn't have it in the legs.

interesting bits... avg pace for 1st 8 miles was 3:30 per mile. pace from mile 5 to mile 6 was 2:51!