S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old April 6th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #41
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
Concerning the NSC races, the last one I was at had probably 200 or so in attendance, maybe more. It's a very large building, so people were spread out, so it might not have looked packed, but there were a lot of people there. What you can't see on most of the videos is there's a balcony level around the whole building and there were a lot of people up there.

I'll be at the NSC races in Tacoma tonight, and it's looking to be pretty big.

There's been radio interviews, newspaper articles, and clinics from NSC skaters for local skaters. Olympic speed skaters come out and sometimes skate, sometimes run commentary.

They're running it in a neat old National Guard Armory building that happens to have a large wood floor. And when I say old, I mean over 100 years old. Maybe I've started to transition in to one of those historical building nuts, but I think it's a novel use of a cool old building. (Short video about the building back when the National Guard still "owned" it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7qYgEiCglI )

One of the radio stations will be doing the music and possibly doing some on-air stuff.

I'd say they're promoting the sport pretty well.

Newspaper article http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/0...t-april-5.html

NSC PreRace video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rii438JufV4
Nice videos!

Does anyone know what the teeshirts on the NSC website are like? Cotton or wicking material? I'd like to buy a couple.
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #42
dthamm
Half-Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Roadrunner View Post
Why do we think it didn't make it into the Olympics, simple, it's not exciting to non skaters, if it was crowds would come, but they don't.
I wonder what makes it so popular in places like Colombia. They can pack grandstands for inline races, and practically every town has a 200-m oval.....
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #43
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
Nice videos!

Does anyone know what the teeshirts on the NSC website are like? Cotton or wicking material? I'd like to buy a couple.
The shirts they had at the event were standard tee shirts, not "performance" in any way that was evident. I'd look at the material but the one I caught at the event was both pink and a small adult size, so I gave it away.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #44
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
The shirts they had at the event were standard tee shirts, not "performance" in any way that was evident. I'd look at the material but the one I caught at the event was both pink and a small adult size, so I gave it away.
Just normal 50/50 tees.. the ones most companies sell for 10 to 15 bucks... they are not a "special" material or anything..
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #45
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
Just normal 50/50 tees.. the ones most companies sell for 10 to 15 bucks... they are not a "special" material or anything..
Mine are "Hanes nano" if that helps. On a Hanes site it seems they are cotton. But very nice quality.
Wore my "EVERY DAMN DAY, LIVE LIFE FAST" to the gym and some of the trainers ask me to get them one.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #46
slowsk8

Default Joey on inline skating

This past weekend I had the opportunity to head over to Spokane, Washington to hang out and watch an inline league meet. I really had no idea what to expect, I hadnít been to an indoor meet in a long time, and after my switch to the ice, became a little bit disconnected from the indoor world.

After getting a chance to catch up with some old friends and watch some great racing, I realized that even though the numbers in the sport arenít as high as they were a decade ago, that doesnít take anything away from what we do. The younger kids race with just as much passion and intensity whether theyíre at practice, a league meet, or Nationals. To them, the amount of people entered in the meet didnít matter, they could care less. They raced with heart because the sport of inline speed skating brings that out of them. Watching them was inspiring.

I got asked by some people about skating ice and when they should make the transition. My question back was always, ďAre you having fun skating inline?Ē If they said yes, I told them they should continue skating inline until they found themselves not enjoying it anymore. I think that people have some sort of idea in their mind that ice is a better sport or that itís more fun. Itís not. The only reason I made the switch was because I accomplished my goals in inline and i began to lose my passion for it. I needed a change before I found myself hating a sport that I knew I owed so much to. I wanted a new goal, and I decided that should be Olympic Gold.

My point is this. Even though inline is not an Olympic sport, it has so much more going for it than ice skating, so the next time you think inline is dying, think again, itís very much alive and keeps continuing to inspire.

April 15, 2014
Joey Mantia
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #47
pronscfan4
LIVE LIFE FAST!

Just in case anyone hasn't seen the website Slowsk8 found Joey's thoughts on...

http://jmantia.com/wordpress/blog/
pronscfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #48
Code Monkey

I don't know about the rest of you but at about the 20 mile mark I feel like I'm dying.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #49
Code Monkey

Yesterday the wind was brutal. 25-35 with gusts. Oh today I am in serious hurt. Holding off on the ibuprofen but am thinking I am going to cave.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #50
AZ Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
This past weekend I had the opportunity to head over to Spokane, Washington to hang out and watch an inline league meet. I really had no idea what to expect, I hadnít been to an indoor meet in a long time, and after my switch to the ice, became a little bit disconnected from the indoor world.

After getting a chance to catch up with some old friends and watch some great racing, I realized that even though the numbers in the sport arenít as high as they were a decade ago, that doesnít take anything away from what we do. The younger kids race with just as much passion and intensity whether theyíre at practice, a league meet, or Nationals. To them, the amount of people entered in the meet didnít matter, they could care less. They raced with heart because the sport of inline speed skating brings that out of them. Watching them was inspiring.

I got asked by some people about skating ice and when they should make the transition. My question back was always, ďAre you having fun skating inline?Ē If they said yes, I told them they should continue skating inline until they found themselves not enjoying it anymore. I think that people have some sort of idea in their mind that ice is a better sport or that itís more fun. Itís not. The only reason I made the switch was because I accomplished my goals in inline and i began to lose my passion for it. I needed a change before I found myself hating a sport that I knew I owed so much to. I wanted a new goal, and I decided that should be Olympic Gold.

My point is this. Even though inline is not an Olympic sport, it has so much more going for it than ice skating, so the next time you think inline is dying, think again, itís very much alive and keeps continuing to inspire.

April 15, 2014
Joey Mantia
I mean no disrespect but that's a warm a fuzzy statement to make people feel good. That doesn't grow the sport. I know WA has a good number of Skaters, that's where I started. The fact is Arizona doesn't have an indoor team in the entire State. The only team in the State just last week stopped practices as the rink won't let them practice until they get at least 20 skaters. They were lucky to get 4 at a practice. Phoenix is the 5th largest metropolitan area in the U.S. with many rinks.

The issue stills stems from the top down and bottom up. The issues are a mile long of old inbred ways of thinking. Until a long list of changes are made the sport will continue to diminish. I've seen the issues on the teams and the battle with the rinks. There will always be a few strong teams but to get back to the glory days of the late 1990s it needs a complete change.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:32 PM   #51
AZ Roadrunner

Default Growing the Sport of Speed Skating

I see where David Simmons made a long statement on his facebook on this very topic. His concerns are the sport is dying and dying fast.

The old guard of this sport fails to see things must change. Their old ways just don't work anymore. They always have 100 reasons why something won't work but offer nothing new. Adapt, change or die!

So I'm not just a whiner, I put a few ideas together that everyone can pick apart. I've found new ideas in this sport are not that welcome.

Growing the Sport of Inline Speed Skating

Outreach from local teams, coaches and USARS. The sport has failed to reach out to the local resources in their local community. Inviting people to your rink won’t work. You must go to them and show them what the sport is about. Adapt, change or die!

Options to Consider: Local schools are a great opportunity. Basketball season could be an opportunity to show what the sport is about. During half time at Junior High and High School basketball games the local skate team could show-off some of the aspect of the sport. Set up some pillions and do some down starts. Set up a small short track and skate in a pace line, skate drills on skates, a few high speed laps.

Outreach to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, YMCA’s. Do the same on their floor or parking lot, providing them a good opportunity to see what the sport is about.

Outreach to local churches. In many communities the Churches are large with several hundred children. Do a speed skating show in their parking lot. Set up pillions and show them a pace line, drills and starts, make it fun.

Outreach to local Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Brownies and Girl Scout groups.

Market your team free on Craigs list. Have some outdoor fun skates for families on weekends to meet the team and see speed skaters.

See if your local news, or TV station has opportunity for a PSA on their website you can post a video of the team.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:15 PM   #52
shesk8

AZ RR - sorry to hear the indoor skating got ousted by the rink - that is where I feel usars (the governing body of inline sports) needs to step-up to help ensure the rinks doesn't pull that garbage. While, I can understand the rinks need to turn a profit, don't kill the sport in the process. Indoor is a competitive, national sport, and needs to be supported and accommodated.

Slow - We will be in your area this weekend- planning a skate long the sammamish trail on Saturday mid-morning, and again on Sunday late afternoon. you can msg me on facebook - best way to contact us while we are on travel. Maybe we will see you for a skate?!

IMO - Dying sport? no. Wavering? yes. So, many great ideas here for bumping up participants and engaging skaters. Just returned from Napa, where 150 signed up but only 130 raced? where were you other 20 folks? Still a really great event. Saw Chicagoland had around 175 attendees (someone can correct me - I was only tallying 1/2 and full marathon participants). Events do help support the sport, though travel costs and entry fees can be deterring, as well. Set goals to attend events, and help encourage others to join too. While we all talk about nurturing the passion for skating, the events and activities(such as social skates, fun rolls, tours, etc) we do can promote the sport, but racing is not necessarily on everyone's bucket list. Though, in race events skating among friends and setting personal best can trigger new found aspirations in newbies as they attend race events for the first time. They get bit by the same bug you & I did years ago. Let's make sure the sting sticks!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:52 PM   #53
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesk8 View Post
IMO - Dying sport? no. Wavering? yes. So, many great ideas here for bumping up participants and engaging skaters. Just returned from Napa, where 150 signed up but only 130 raced? where were you other 20 folks? Still a really great event. Saw Chicagoland had around 175 attendees (someone can correct me - I was only tallying 1/2 and full marathon participants). Events do help support the sport, though travel costs and entry fees can be deterring, as well. Set goals to attend events, and help encourage others to join too. While we all talk about nurturing the passion for skating, the events and activities(such as social skates, fun rolls, tours, etc) we do can promote the sport, but racing is not necessarily on everyone's bucket list. Though, in race events skating among friends and setting personal best can trigger new found aspirations in newbies as they attend race events for the first time. They get bit by the same bug you & I did years ago. Let's make sure the sting sticks!
What about running small 10ks like running races, or have them added onto running races? Adding them on would be easier, though better for point to point than circuit races.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:02 PM   #54
AZ Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesk8 View Post
AZ RR - sorry to hear the indoor skating got ousted by the rink - that is where I feel usars (the governing body of inline sports) needs to step-up to help ensure the rinks doesn't pull that garbage. While, I can understand the rinks need to turn a profit, don't kill the sport in the process. Indoor is a competitive, national sport, and needs to be supported and accommodated.

Slow - We will be in your area this weekend- planning a skate long the sammamish trail on Saturday mid-morning, and again on Sunday late afternoon. you can msg me on facebook - best way to contact us while we are on travel. Maybe we will see you for a skate?!

Look at the age brackets from the two races mentioned. I was at Napa, you could count the skaters below the age of 18 on one hand. I didn't make Chicago so I can't say, but the outdoor races on the West Coast are mostly AARP races. Yes the attendance is ok at the races but look at the age of the racers.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:11 PM   #55
SkateMO

I don't see all of speed skating, particularly on the indoor side, and I don't make it to all the outdoor races.

However, from the little I do see, I would agree that it is dying...but, I don't know if I would say it's dying fast. I think it is definitely hurting.

And, sadly, I really don't have any ideas for helping it. I think exposure is a big one. I grew up wanting to rollerblade because I saw kids doing it in "kid movies." It looked really cool to be able to skate on streets and go fast.

Skating is one of the best sports in America. It really is. The sport itself is fantastic. I'm disappointed in the "image" or the state of the competitive side of it though. For instance, I've heard one bad thing after the next about drama at indoor nationals, outdoor nationals, and I saw some of it myself at Chicago (amongst the athletes). To me, that is just uncalled for. Why can't we all do our part and just be "friendly" even if we're racing to win? I was really disappointed with what I saw at Chicago, and I can only imagine that it's just the tip of the iceberg, in terms of what is taking place at IDN and ODN.

If I were a parent, I'd probably pull my kids out of the sport if I witnessed some of that stuff. I think skating is a great sport. And, the last thing we need to do, is to hurt ourself by each of us not taking responsibility and doing our part where we can - even if it's as little as just skating with "integrity" at the races we attend.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM   #56
ese002

Looking at the statistics for 2012 and 2013 NorthShore Marathon, the demographic peak for men is the 50-54 bracket. That is consistent with what I have observed. I'm 46 now, racing since 1999. Most skaters always seemed to be little older than me. To the point that my bracket is always most competitive when I just age in and least competitive right before I age out.

Subjectively, it seems to the same for social skates (numbers are not really available) so I don't think it is a racing thing. It is a skating thing.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #57
ese002

Average age for men in 2004: 40.0, In 2008: 43.3

So, it looks very much like one year per year for Northshore.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:52 PM   #58
matguy

While I like that basketball idea, in theory, ever try to inline speed skate on a basketball floor? The last time I tried (granted, about 20 years ago) it was slippery as all get-out. Granted, it wasn't freshly swept or anything, but it was a fairly new coating on the floor... but I don't think it's the same type of coating.

Maybe with -very- soft wheels (maybe even outdoor wheels) they might get enough grip to expo something, but I wouldn't expect too much. And, please test it first so you're not just demoing how to fall and get hurt on skates.

Personally, I do think the NSC is going about it the right direction. though. They play it up to the community and put on quite a show. Plus the Vegas meet is looking pretty neat.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #59
stealthsports
#stealthsports

Quote:
While I like that basketball idea, in theory, ever try to inline speed skate on a basketball floor? The last time I tried (granted, about 20 years ago) it was slippery as all get-out. Granted, it wasn't freshly swept or anything, but it was a fairly new coating on the floor... but I don't think it's the same type of coating.

Maybe with -very- soft wheels (maybe even outdoor wheels) they might get enough grip to expo something, but I wouldn't expect too much. And, please test it first so you're not just demoing how to fall and get hurt on skates.

Personally, I do think the NSC is going about it the right direction. though. They play it up to the community and put on quite a show. Plus the Vegas meet is looking pretty neat.
All we have IS basketball courts in Australia.................................... But we still shred it pretty good....
We'll be sending a team to Vegas. 3-4 confirmed.
stealthsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #60
BearingAll

OK...so i've been following this thread for some time and have also had deep discussions offline regarding this topic. I'm going to post my opinion (diatribe) with much trepidation, since there is a substantial risk of being misunderstood. Go ahead and flame me if you disagree-- thanks to the power of internet anonymity, i don't give a rats a$$. However, I think we need to shake up the whole community, not just the governing bodies.

The problem is that those with the money to support the sport are not interested. Why? because it's perceived as a fringe sport. Why? partially because the culture is not friendly or conducive to it's practice. I've spent a fair amount of time in Europe and Asia and see people skating all over. Why? because they have the infrastructure-- ie., nice wide sidewalks, promonades, oval tracks, wide paved trails, etc. What do we have in the majority of the US? Squat? a parking lot. Lame a$$ trails... Of course, there are exceptions (Bob Rodale Park in PA and Golden Gate park in SF being two).

So, there's indoors at skating rinks... Right! That's about right up there with NASCAR and bowling in the minds of the middle class and affluent. (wait-- before you get pissed off at that statement, please read more.) I had the opportunity to attend IDN a few years ago and what I saw did not give me hope. Oh, the participants were great, even astounding. They were giving it their all and were really into the sport and competing. But... I looked around the stands and what I saw exuded blue collar. (disclaimer-- I lover blue collar; some of my best friends are blue collar ). Seriously, though, I don't want to sound like a highbrow and I have ultimate respect for people who earn their living the "American way", but where is the sustainability in this model when parents scrape to get buy with daily living expenses and then, on top of basic needs, spend a few grand each year traveling and gearing up their kids to compete. Admirable and worthy of respect, yes-- growing the sport through visibility, advertising and building infrastructure... ehhhh, not really.

One of the members of the group I train with lives in an affluent part of town-- definitely upper middle class and not "life styles of the rich and famous", though. He is dedicated to growing the sport and donates 4-5 hours of his time per week to training young kids. He's grown his group to over a dozen and the parents are very committed... as long as there kids are expending loads of pent up energy and are outside breathing fresh air, eating organic energy snacks and associating with the "right kind of people". He brought up the idea of winter training and getting the parents to travel 45 minutes to the only speed friendly rink in the area and them maybe, MAYBE, the kids would be hooked and would want to compete. No problem, I'm sure, for the parents. In this particular community it's all about the kids and the philosophy of "kids should never have 1 minute of unstructured time" is religion. However, given my experience as well as another's in our group who lives on "the other side of the tracks", the two of us tried to explaining to "coach" that there's no way that the parents of these kids would be comfortable with them going to the next level of competitive indoor. Oh they may gamely try it, but after a few times sitting in the stands with "those other people" they would feel very uncomfortable. And I'm not talking about uber rich hear; as I said these are mid-level executives with enough money to get by comfortably, but still need to be mindful of their future.

So the other option would be outdoor speed. Sure!... parents who spend their whole waking ours concerned about the welfare of their precious ones are going to let them train and race on roads- given that this is the only option for the majority of us in the US. Not gonna happen. But it would if we had more closed outdoor courses-- ovals and such. There is a relevant thread started by "jamersk", a Taiwanese national who recently moved to the States to discover the abysmal options for safe skating.

so enough diatribe. My proposed solution: as I alluded to above, what we need is the appropriate infrastructure for training with relative safety-- ie., closed courses. Along with this, we need dedicated instructors-- and here I'm not talking necessarily about Joey and Eddy, but rather concerned and involved individuals who would be willing to hold regular clinics. If every metropolitan area could have a Bob Rodale or the International Speed Skating Complex in WI, then we could grow the sport. The issues we're dealing with are 1) inline skating is NOT a safe sport and 2) risk reduction is key. Admittedly other sports have risks (i.e., soccer and football with have a high incidence concussions), but human nature is such that there must be an element of perceived control for people to accept the risks. Areas where there is no threat of vehicular homicide would go a long way to providing a sense of safety.

So RISE UP and demand a closed course skating course for every community! Mixed use for cyclists and runners would be acceptable. I'm positive this would enhance participation in the sport and ,although I've focused on kids, I'm certain it would extend to adults.

'nuff said... bring it on!
BearingAll is offline   Reply With Quote