S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM   #1
d.phillips1970
I'm a Purist

Default Do you center your right plate or angle it?

I have allways mounted my own plate. For the mere fact I just didn't trust anyone. 1/8 inch off and you are stuck with some glue time for hole filling. But with that said, I am glad to see someone who knows what they are doing out in the public eye for all to use(abuse).lol.
My question is a quick one. Since I am a former speed skater, I allways mounted the front of my right plate in 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I mount my back center then skate on it till i find my spot and mark it for mounting. Do you normally "center" your right or "angle" it?
Dave.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Plate mounting.

I have always mounted my own plates. For the mere fact I just didn't trust anyone. 1/8 inch off and you are stuck with some glue time for hole filling.

Or a pair of sk8s you don't know how to fix.... The SOB that put a 7.25 Power Trac on my size 9 boots needed to find work in the janitorial or food service industry. That's how DOC Sk8 was born. So maybe it was a service after all. That pair of plates is cursed. I have sold them 3 times and the still are hanging in my rafters.....

But with that said, I am glad to see someone who knows what they are doing out in the public eye for all to use(abuse).lol.

Be nice. Abuse is not allowed here.

My question is a quick one. Since I am a former speed skater, I always mounted the front of my right plate in 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I mount my back center then skate on it till i find my spot and mark it for mounting. Do you normally "center" your right or "angle" it?

I run all I build centered l / r at the widest part of the ball of the foot...Not always where the sole says it is BTW. I also run them slightly (There is a usually a 3/4 to 1" gap between the back of the heel and the end of my plates.....) forward. Oh yeah, I also run them short. Real short.

I have heard other old school speed sk8rs talk about this but goofing with the plate azimuth is a good way to impair the response of the sk8.

I like your Boens BTW. I have 2 pair. A pair of Speeds and a pair of Racings. They are a ball to sk8 on.